[MTG] UNMannder is a go

Flame Dragon

From now until the next ban list change for Rivels Silver Boarder cards will be commander legal.

http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

Nothing in Unstable made me go "I'm not playing against that" but I'm sure if you open it up to Unglued and Unhinged more issues will come up. Still, I'm interested in seeing the craziness. Though GPNJ just got a lot more interesting.

Yea, im not excited for this at all. Unhinged and Unglued cards were not made with normal magic philosophies in mind and I can already see the shitstorm of salt and arguments on the horizion. Unstable is more modernized but there's still a few cards that I would never want to play or play against at a multiplayer table.

At least the casual players can get their rocks off with all the LOLSORANDUMMEMEXD cards.

Oh and the first person who tries to rip up my cards with some chaos confetti combo is getting funking stabbed.

As excited as I am to play silver border commander (most of us at my locals were planning to make uncommander decks anyway) I think making it legal in the wider rules was a bit of a mistake. It would have been preferable to have a Silver Border banlist as a separate format of UnEDH; endorsed by the RC but not affecting ordinary EDH if people don't want it to.

As it stands, its a predicament for people and for local stores to say "yes the RC says silver cards are legal but you can't use them here." While they're powerful and tilting, so is Sol Ring, and people shouldn't be expected to take that out of their decks because an LGS or player/friend doesn't agree that they should be legal. As an example.

So I thought about this, and yeah, I mostly agree that it's completely stupid. There are two use cases that this impacts:

• People who just play in their playgroup of friends. Previously, you'd probably have to ask to play with silver-bordered cards, because even though they aren't sanctioned people can still be cool with them. Now... you'd probably have to ask to play with silver-bordered cards, because not everyone's cool with them and you don't want to tear your group apart by subjecting them to something they don't want to deal with on EDH night. So functionally nothing changes.

• People who play at their LGS. Now you get the latter half of the first part: people rocking up with decks that a lot of people who didn't want this rules change at all wouldn't be happy with. There's also the fact that some of the cards (ex. Red-Hot Hottie) can be disruptive to play with in a public environment. Already seen some LGSs ban silver cards in advance, and I support this.

The fact that they had to ban Nerf War the day after this announcement shows that it was poorly conceived and thought out. Hopefully Wizards gets the message that they need to take the reins from Sheldon and co.

(That said, pulling together a Phoebe list for shits and gigs.)

I approve of this change because it means no one can stop me from playing with Silver border cards!

Most of the arguments against this really just rest on people not liking change. It's adding Link Monsters to yugioh all over again.

People can definitely tell you you can't play with silver border cards, under penalty of refusing to play with you.

Most if the arguments are less about change and more about the fact that many cards in unhinged/unglued were not designed to be silly AND functionally reasonable. Unstable is one thing; there's only a few cards that are definitely not ok or even just iffy. But cards like Johnny, Combo Player or Gleemax are not ok, particularly together in commander.

As I've said, I'm excited to play some UnEDH, but the specifics of this decision needed a little more thought, I think.

They can always modify the banlist to ban Johnny or Gleemax if those cards end up being problems. As for people refusing to play with me, I very much doubt that there'd be reason to do that with the particular silver border cards I plan on using. But the rule change does give me leverage to change my locals' policy of only allowing your deck to have a small minority of silver border cards in it. Now instead of only being able to play maybe 5 or so silver borders, I could play 30 or so. For me, this is a good thing.

Archived