Wind-Up Support

TheTrueSaiyan

Wind-Up Stingray

[spoiler=Image]fTlPAfG.png

Level 5 WATER fish

ATK800/DEF1800
① If you control no monster(s): You can Special Summon this card (from your hand), then Special Summon 1 "Wind-up" monster from your deck, except "Wind-up Stingray".

② Once while this card is face-up on the field: You can decrease this card's level by 2.

[spoiler=Previous Effect]

Wind-Up Stingray

① If you control no monster(s); you can Special Summon this card (from your hand).

② If this card was Special Summoned by a "Wind-up" monster's effect you can Special Summon 1 "Wind-up" monster from your deck, except "Wind-up".

③ Once while this card is face-up on the field; you can decrease this card's level by 2.

Wind-Up Zenmaitic

[spoiler=Image]Bln4uEQ.png

Link-2 EARTH machine

BL, R

ATK1500
2 "Wind-up" monsters

① You can target 1 "Wind-Up" monster in your GY; Xyz Summon 1 "Wind-Up" Xyz monster from your Extra Deck whose rank is equal to Level of the targeted monster using this card and targeted monster as Xyz materials.

② A "Wind-Up" Xyz Monster that has this card as Xyz Material gains this effect.

● Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Add 1 "Zenmai" or "Wind-Up" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand.

"Zenmai" hasn't been a classified as an Archetype so I'll explain: Many of the supporting Spells and Traps (And All of the Xyz monsters) have it in their name (The rest of the Spells and Traps just use "Wind-Up" in their name, except "Overwind"). The same is true with "発条" in the Japanese cards so Konami may at one point thought about making them an Archetype so I just ran with it.
[spoiler=Searchable cards]
Traps:

Spells:

I considered adding http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Overwind to the search targets since it is direct support but it's not even good, let alone good enough to warrant convoluting the card text further

You'll probably search "Wind-Up Factory" most of the time since that card can give you some nice pluses. Zenmailfunction is cool as a Monster Reborn for the archetype which can be nice in certain situations but just because it's searchable now would it be worth running? Some of the traps may have been good if they were spells like the one that ranks up (Rank Up Trap?) but they're not. Everything else is either going to part of some obscure FTK or not worth searching it. Makes me want to make new supporting Spells and/or Traps for Wind-Up now that they are searchable.

[spoiler=Previous Effect]

Wind-Up Zenmaitic
① If a "Wind-up" monster(s) you control would be destroyed or banished you can send this card to the GY instead.
② You can target 1 "Wind-up" monster in your GY; Xyz Summon 1 "Wind-Up" Xyz monster from your Extra Deck whose rank is equal to Level of the targeted monster using this card and targeted monster as Xyz materials.

Wind-Up Zenmaitary

[spoiler=Image]0bhxvBu.png

Rank 5 WATER machine

ATK2700/DEF1500
① Once per turn: You can detach 1 material from this card; Special Summon1 "Wind-up" monster in your GY.

② Once per turn: If your opponent summons a monster whose Level/Rank/Link is equal to the rank of a "Wind-up" Xyz monster(s) you control; you can attach the summoned monster to that monster as Xyz material.

Wind-Up Zenmaite

[spoiler=Image]6Es4jAi.png

Rank 4 FIRE machine
2 Level 4 Monsters

ATK1000/DEF2800
① "Wind-Up" monster(s) you control cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

② If this card is in your GY (Quick Effect): You can target 1 "Wind-Up" monster you control; return it to the hand, then special summon this card in Face-Up defense position. You only use this effect of "Wind-Up Zenmaite" once per turn.

--------------------

I wanted to revive Wind-Ups with some new cards. The Rank 3 guys are just fine and could even be considered still good. The Rank 4 one is just poor and the Rank 5 is situational so I gave Wind-Up a better Rank 4 and 5

They also need more starter cards instead of Magician+Shark. Magician+Shark is still a very good opening but far too inconsistent. Right now if you don't have either you can't do much Turn 1. Stingray is meant to be another starter card Wind-Ups can hope to draw to get things started.

And a Link monster, because the types and attribute of Wind-Ups are all over the place they can't access some of the link monsters that need certain materials like Summon Sorceress and the Lightsworn Link. One link arrow point to the Right so that when it's revived in the main monster zone by Zenmaitary you can XYZ again to zone it points to

Stingray + Shark [OCG BANLIST]

SS Stingray and activate its effect
SS magician from deck

Activate Stingray to lower its level
Trigger magician, SS magician

Trigger Shark to SS it

Activate shark, reduce its level

Trigger ②magician to summon Rabbit

Link with 2 magicians for Zenmatic

Xyz Shark and Stingray for carrier
activate carrier, SS magician

activate link, target stingray, SS Zenmaitary
Trigger ③magican, SS Shark

activate Zenmaitary SS link back
Xyz for Zenmaite

Banish Rabbit

result: Zenmaite, Zenmaitary, Zenmatic and Carrier

[This combo doesn't use your normal summon so you could just normal a different Wind-Up that can activate its effect instead of shark]

I don't take credit for any images used in this post, all images belong to the original artist. Also credits to Flash Flyer - Sakura for the link template
EDIT: Some OCG fixes and changed Stingray

EDIT: Updated Zenmaitic to have a more usuful effect

*jumps in*

Ah, another person to use OCG numbering! Maybe I'll actually pick it up. Anywho, the only thing I don't like about Stingray is that despite it being very useful, and not exactly overpowered (except in one area), it does all of what you're intending by itself, i.e. a bit much. It's just a combo enabler and pure support, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something I personally do not like. An issue I would suggest fixing (other than the SS restriction saying "Wind-Up Stingray" rather than "Wind-Up") is giving HOPT on the on Summon by a Wind-Up effect, because otherwise... (changes to your original combo in bold)

SS Stingray #1 and activate its effect
SS Magician #1 from Deck
Activate Stingray #1, lower its Level
Trigger Magician #1, SS Stingray #2
Trigger Stingray #2, SS Magician #2
Trigger Magician #1 to SS Rat #1
Link with Magician #1 and Stingray #1 for Zenmaitic #1
Activate Rat #1, SS Stingray #1 from GY
Trigger Stingray #1, SS anything really
Link with Magician #2 and Rat #1 for Zenmaitic #2
Activate Stingray #2, lower its Level
Xyz with Stingray #1 and #2 for Carrier
Activate Carrier, detach Stringray #1, SS Rat #2
Activate Rat #2, SS Stingray #1 from GY
Trigger Stingray #1, SS Magician #3

Yeah, going to stop there. You haven't even used another card from your hand, and you already have 6 monsters. The killer is the Rat/Stingray Combo, which grants you a Carrier and another monster from your Deck. In Link format, that is a little less of a problem, but now with your granted Link monster, it's easy to build up a chain of cards, then reverse Xyz up the chain to have 4+ Xyz monsters. Then again, you only activated Stingray once in your little combo, so maybe you intended it to actually have HOPT...

Zenmaitic itself is a great idea, I feel, even with that potential Xyzing up the potential chain you have created. I just wish it did a bit more while face-up on the field, to provide an actual choice between leaving it face-up on the field or not, especially as I might want to leave it up as a Link monster. Destruction protection is great and all, but quite a few other cards either work with it or protect against it themselves, so not really necessary. Zenmaitary, despite just being plain cool, needs an OCG fix on the last effect (will get into that later), but is otherwise a great supporting card and alternative to Zenmaioh. It doesn't overshadow it entirely either, so...bonus. Zenmaite as well...blanket protection and quick tagging in which is completely thematic? What's not to like?

tldr: last two monsters are really good for the archetype, Zenmaitic has a little issue IMO, and Stingray almost definitely needs HOPT, perhaps with my suggested changes. Not bad, and said last two almost make up for the problems in the others.

Now, because I haven't commented on your sets before, OCG fix with reasoning (not including my suggested changes):

[spoiler=Stingray]① If you control no monster(s): You can Special Summon this card (from your hand).
② If this card was Special Summoned by a "Wind-up" monster's effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Wind-up" monster from your deck, except "Wind-up".
③ Once while this card is face-up on the field: You can decrease this card's level by 2.

If there's no cost, always use a colon, and capitalize the first letter of the effect portion. And always remember to include a colon of some description in an effect you want to activate; in ②, if we stuck with your original wording without a colon, the effect simple applies, not allowing your opponent to Breakthrough in respons, as it doesn't start a chain (although they can technically Solemn Strike)

[spoiler=Zenmaitic]① If a "Wind-up" monster(s) you control would be destroyed or banished you can send this card to the GY instead.
You can target 1 "Wind-up" monster in your GY; Xyz Summon 1 "Wind-up" Xyz monster from your Extra Deck whose Rank is equal to Level of the targeted monster, using this card and targeted monster as Xyz materials.

If there's no condition on an effect, it doesn't really make sense to not include the "You can" portion, as without it, means the effect is mandatory, and since there is no timing indicated...you basically can't activate it at any point. Technically speaking, of course. Also, capitalize Rank, and targeting is considered a cost (it is performed at activation, not resolution), so a semicolon follows that.

No other issues in the rest of the cards that I haven't mentioned before. If you still have questions, feel free to ask me, but I would recommend having a look through Zaziuma's guide in singles section. It's a bit outdated, but it's still helpful for the basics.

I do really like your cards; I just find I don't have much to say. Hopefully I will have something on my mind when I see your next set, and best of luck for when it comes!

*jumps out*

Wind up magician cannot SS Stingray

Wind-Up Magician:
If the effect of a "Wind-Up" monster is activated, except "Wind-Up Magician": You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Wind-Up" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position. This effect can only be used once while this card is face-up on the field.

But yeah it would be 100% busted if he did which is why stingray is level 5. I always felt it was weird that was there when there were no "Wind-Up" with a level higher than 4 though.

Would this change your opinion on Stingray?

Also thanks for the tips on the OCG, I'll take a look at that guide

Wind up magician cannot SS Stingray

Wind-Up Magician:

If the effect of a "Wind-Up" monster is activated, except "Wind-Up Magician": You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Wind-Up" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position. This effect can only be used once while this card is face-up on the field.

But yeah it would be 100% busted if he did which is why stingray is level 5. I always felt it was weird that was there when there were no "Wind-Up" with a level higher than 4 though.

Would this change your opinion on Stingray?

Also thanks for the tips on the OCG, I'll take a look at that guide

No, but that is still my mistake, so sorry about that. Main issue is Rat.

SS Stingray #1 and activate its effect

SS Magician #1 from Deck

Trigger Magician #1, SS Stingray #2 Magician #2

Trigger Stingray #2, SS Magician #2

Trigger Shark #1 or any Wind-Up you can Normal Summon

Activate their effect

Trigger Magician #1 to SS Rat #1

Link with Magician #1 and Stingray #1 for Zenmaitic #1

Activate Rat #1, SS Stingray #1 from GY

Trigger Stingray #1, SS Rat #2 or Magician #3

Combo continues from there, you just need an extra monster.

I forgot about Rat, yeah Stingray should only trigger on its own effect. Wind-Ups are very prone to loops. Thanks for that

Stingray is definitely very strong but the intention was to give the deck more opening plays that didn't rely on magician in hand but I understand why is can be seen as bit too good.

The destruction protection for the link is just there so it has something to do while on the field but yeah it conflicts with Zenmaite, I guess I'll think of something else for it to do.

Stingray's nerf is great, not immediately restricting it yet preventing it to be used in spammy combos. Not a fan of your Link's new effect, as it only serves to Rank-Up, but it does work for its intention, granting an increased consistency. Nothing much else really to say; good changes.

Archived