How about easier questions for the registration questions.

Urayne

(You only had to write it out in the Latin alphabet; you wouldn't actually have to type it in kana or whatever)

But just as a heads-up, I have removed all of the calculation problems [and that one] so you won't be seeing them when registering. Even though the problems themselves are easy to solve by simply plugging things into the equation (at max, it's high school level). Right now, they are being renovated to include more general and Yugioh-based knowledge. 

Was this a major flaw on my end? Yeah, I'm admitting to it right now, and the problems should've been MUCH easier to work with. =

==

@Winter: Yeah, it's supposed to be diameter, but it's deleted. If you want, I'll PM you on what the answer came out to be (as it's much simpler). 

I appreciate the effort, but I believe some of the questions are still relatively deterrent. If you had planned on omitting some of them, then I'm only beating a dead horse, but I believe that the questions should be as simple as possible for a human to type in. The "type in I'm not a robot twice" question works very well because it requires human perception to understand and advanced AI would probably be used for something more sophisticated than a spambot.

On Pokemon Showdown, membership is created by answering the question "what pokemon is this" with a picture of Pikachu. This is perfect because it is universally simple to answer, but requires a human to see the image of pikachu and understand that it is indeed pikachu.

I hope this isn't pretentious. 

I appreciate the effort, but I believe some of the questions are still relatively deterrent. If you had planned on omitting some of them, then I'm only beating a dead horse, but I believe that the questions should be as simple as possible for a human to type in. The "type in I'm not a robot twice" question works very well because it requires human perception to understand and advanced AI would probably be used for something more sophisticated than a spambot.

On Pokemon Showdown, membership is created by answering the question "what pokemon is this" with a picture of Pikachu. This is perfect because it is universally simple to answer, but requires a human to see the image of pikachu and understand that it is indeed pikachu.

I hope this isn't pretentious. 

Honestly just do something like type this word backwards "cardmaker"

I'd agree with these, it's good that the calculation questions are removed, but I honestly think all of them should be gutted and replace them with like 5-7 questions more along this variety. That should be enough for bots and giving new members easy access.

I honestly laughed upon reading the question first presented in the thread. The joke's hilarious, but it stops being funny when it is a significant portion of the questions. It'd only be funny as a lonely "you got the short end of the stick" kind of deal.

People don't want to go to a leisure fun place in the internet to stumble upon word problems. The age demographic intended for Yugioh content is 13+, so no questions should be anything beyond basic algebra, and saying "but any middle schooler should be able to answer them" feels more like shaming on the percentage of people who can't, in favor of defending the questions. 

I can only wonder how long those questions have been there without anybody noticing. Was it a joke that got too far and nobody ever went back to fix it? How many members might have given up on coming here because of this? People often lose interest quickly, and here we are wondering how we could contribute to revitalizing YCM. I don't usually express like this, but this situation is just so dumb.... 

theres also a issue with the questions saying: (type this in caps three time).  you dont even have enough of space to get that typed in.  it only allows so much.

im glad i found this issue.  but what in the holy F-word sakura?  not everyone is THAT smart.  geezz-o-pete....

I'll need to look at the character limit (hopefully it didn't cap itself at 100 characters or something); otherwise, it should be changed to just type the statement in ONCE. That should at least work. 

As for the security questions, while it'd be nice to have Captcha or some other pictorial validation thing, we have to work with text-based answers. 

====

@destinyexodia: That being said, why were you making another account in the first place. 

I'll need to look at the character limit (hopefully it didn't cap itself at 100 characters or something); otherwise, it should be changed to just type the statement in ONCE. That should at least work. 

As for the security questions, while it'd be nice to have Captcha or some other pictorial validation thing, we have to work with text-based answers. 

====

@destinyexodia: That being said, why were you making another account in the first place. 

cause mine wasnt logging in.

====

It's not hard to reset your IP and use a diff email acct ya know sakura

If he had issues logging in, then yeah, making another account is excusable, provided you at least say something so we don't consider it as multi-accounting. YCM has its issues with certain user accounts, but that's not something we can fix because internal problem.

But that's irrelevant to this discussion. 

=====

As I've said before, the security questions are all easy to solve now (including making the "type this statement" ones only require one iteration). I do not know if there is a character limit to the question field. 

Okay, that's good to hear! So long as there aren't any what's this name in English, type out Team Skull in Romaji, or any other specific equations or YGO questions, we should be good. It's good to just have super-basic questions any run of the mill 10 year old can answer, hopefully this will lead to an increase in site traffic too.

You still have to be 13 and over to come here legally (without parental permission) by federal law, even though a lot of people disagree on its enforcement. Before anyone asks why, blame COPPA and we had this discussion a while back. 

Bottom-line, just make it something spambots can't solve, but humans can. Ideally, common knowledge questions. 

You still have to be 13 and over to come here legally (without parental permission) by federal law, even though a lot of people disagree on its enforcement. Before anyone asks why, blame COPPA and we had this discussion a while back. 

Bottom-line, just make it something spambots can't solve, but humans can. Ideally, common knowledge questions. 

Actually, if you have a disclaimer, that say you have to be over 13 to join, and they press accept terms, legal ramifications would be on their guardians 

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/privacypolicy/

Assuming that it's just standard IP.Boards policy, yeah, the age limit is mentioned because of that government regulation. You just have to be at least 13 years of age to join without getting parental permission, but even then, we can't confirm that all users here are legally of age or have gotten permission without violating their privacy. 

But if you have comments on this site's age limit (though most of you are 13 and over, so you are free to be here), please take it to another topic. 

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/privacypolicy/

Assuming that it's just standard IP.Boards policy, yeah, the age limit is mentioned because of that government regulation. You just have to be at least 13 years of age to join without getting parental permission, but even then, we can't confirm that all users here are legally of age or have gotten permission without violating their privacy. 

But if you have comments on this site's age limit (though most of you are 13 and over, so you are free to be here), please take it to another topic. 

Not like that, I mean to be legally secure, WHEN you sign up, there should be a TOS agreement. In that you should have an age restriction 

Idk I joined first when I was 11 (2008), posted 5 times, and didn't come back till I was like 17

Not commenting on the policy, just stating how to be legally safe

Archived