Searches 8 Cards at once, but you probably won't be running this.

Eshai

Gathering of the Particularly UnPeculiar

Spell - Normal

Add 8 Normal Monsters from your Deck to your hand with different Levels. You cannot Special Summon Normal Monsters the turn you activate this effect. At the end of the turn you activated this card, discard your entire hand. You can only activate 1 "Gathering of the Particularly Peculiar" per turn. 

// So instant meme Deck creator here. Might be wondering why you discard your entire hand at the end of the turn when this card is so stupid to begin with. This is because for the most part, you're not using these cards in your hand. If anything, you want these cards in the Graveyard for combos later on. The restrictions on this card is low, other than having to run 8 Normal monsters with different names and levels, which sounds incredibly inefficient if you care about Deck consistency at all. 

This will be the DPR's version of Heart of the Underdog. It doesn't take a turn to setup, it guarantees 8 cards, allows you to run Spell/Traps. Your only screw up here is you HAVE to run a Deck with 5-7 particularly useless cards other than being beaters or walls. 

Some potential changes is that I might add field and GY. I acknowledge how crazy that sounds, but if you're running a Deck, you're running 3 of these. If you're running 3 of these, the only way to do that is to run a Deck of ENTIRELY Normal Monster, which isn't what I want and isn't how it should work. Running 8 different Normals, half of which have to be Tributed and are otherwise dead in hand is already a troubling stunt to accomplish, and the card could still be played around if your opponent has banish tools. There's also the idea that Gemini monsters could be run since you can fetch them out of the GY, which sounds like fun but not broken because you know, Gemini monsters. If I do this, the add 8 to hand card will become playable, which sound INCREDIBLY dangerous, but I think this is a way more fun version of Heart of the Underdog, so yay.

Only thing I'm not budging on changing is the mandatory 8. There are no Level 9 or higher Normals, so good luck with that. 

EDIT: Kinda just realized Pendulum/Normal monsters exist... yay.

Not sure if this is too much of a problem, since your best scales that you can search are 2 and 8, and those take away your Level 4 and 7. That means you're left with a Level 1 and 2 in your hand, and a 3, 5, and 6 on board. Link 3 could be good, although not sure how practical this would be. Wonder if there's another not card killing restriction I can add.

Not sure if this is too much of a problem, since your best scales that you can search are 2 and 8, and those take away your Level 4 and 7. That means you're left with a Level 1 and 2 in your hand, and a 3, 5, and 6 on board. Link 3 could be good, although not sure how practical this would be. Wonder if there's another not card killing restriction I can add.

Unfortunately, now we have Fire Opalhead. Level 6 scale 0. Also, Metalfoes exist, Scales 1-8, particularly with Steelen, Scale 8 Level 2. That leaves you with Level 1,7-8,3-5. Kind of a wide gap.

Level 1 grants you a ton of sucky cards. Exodia, perhaps? Even so, you're going to be sacrificing a lot of consistency in a Deck, even if you are going +7.

just a memey card tbh, but i hate it because it could easily be very broken

2da8cf6bba.jpg

just you wait nationals 2018

Unfortunately, now we have Fire Opalhead. Level 6 scale 0. Also, Metalfoes exist, Scales 1-8, particularly with Steelen, Scale 8 Level 2. That leaves you with Level 1,7-8,3-5. Kind of a wide gap.

Level 1 grants you a ton of sucky cards. Exodia, perhaps? Even so, you're going to be sacrificing a lot of consistency in a Deck, even if you are going +7.

just you wait nationals 2018

That's the thing, the card's design lends itself in a way that it's either going to be never used for forcing poor deck design, or it's going to be way too good. Discarding your hand at the end of the turn just simply isn't a good enough balancing factor; we see with cards like Demise that using such a card for instant and dramatic gains in advantage for building a big field is going to be better than having a modest field with a hand at the end of a turn.

Then the problem is the balancing factor, because the more restrictions you add the more unplayable the card becomes, and you reach a point where you have to ask "Why did I even design this card in the first place? Who's even going to use it?

And yes, Normal Pendulums becomes a problem, not because of scale numbers, but simply by virtue that they have uses beyond just monster effects, and it kickstarts plays.

Honestly, I would just bring this design back to the drawing board, because I can't really see a simple easy fix for this putting the card in a place where it's both useful and balanced. I'd rethink what you want it to do, and how well. Adding more restrictions will just put it permanently in a place where nobody will use it, while just simply reducing the gains it offers might not be the answer to putting the card into its own unique niche. Especially where the idea of this card is to be running multiple different levels in the same deck, reducing the number of cards it gives will actually put it in a place where it actually makes the card better, because now there are fewer conventions one needs to take in their deck design. There's a lot that needs to be taken into consideration, so I don't think just a simple shuffling of numbers or the addition of restrictions is going to cut it.

(I'm not particularly familiar with Arc-V or Metalfoes) but yeah that's a problem. 

I still feel hope for the card, since Heart of the Underdog exists, which would be very much similar if it weren't for the fact that it takes a turn to do something and it isn't guaranteed. 

"Why did I even design this card in the first place? Who's even going to use it?

And yes, Normal Pendulums becomes a problem, not because of scale numbers, but simply by virtue that they have uses beyond just monster effects, and it kickstarts plays.

I designed it for Normal Decks that don't usually have power plays, since Heart of the Underdog is way to corrosive on a Deck's ability to function, and the speed of the game has taken its toll on the card.

The way I see it, I think I found a solution to Pendulums, which is "Normal Monsters cannot be Special Summoned the turn you activate this effect." 

Either way I'm taking off the DPR tag for now until further notice.

The cards searched out via this one actually have plenty of use.

The already mentioned Pendulum Scales will make up for 2 out of the 8 searches.

Then you can always adapt it into a Fusion Deck, and Fusion Recycling Plant can discard another vanilla to give you the Poly search. Assuming you are using low key 2 materials (and including Scales), you only have 3 remaining vanillas in hand.

The card needs to be able to grab them from the GY too, otherwise regular Geminis won't be viable choices (the ones from the AGM contest will though, so if DPR pretends to use that form of Gemini, that's more viable). It'll definitely help the card to grab from the Deck and/or GY. This as the first step, after that we'll think of the balancing factors.

I recommend you shuffle your hand into the Deck, then add your 8 monsters, adding from your Deck a number up to the cards returned to the Deck, and then any extra from the GY that'd help you complete the 8 different Levels. This would mean that:
-You have to set down Quick-plays, disabling them for the turn (Twin Twister would have otherwise been a solid discard, or Hand Destruction).

-You can only plus off of it if there is setup from the GY.

-You don't need to fear having drawn into some of the 8 vanillas, or worry about running more than one of each.

-You might be able to get rid of the "discard all during the End Phase" and overall make it easier for a deck to be based around it.

All in all, it'd still require some sort of drawback though. I don't think preventing vanilla Specials is the best way though. I'd personally say, let them Pendulum Summon the 5 monsters they'll be Summoning from the hand (Level 1 and 8 would be Scales, and Levels 2 to 7 would best case scenario be all fair play).  Most of them would end up trying to ladder into Effect Extra Deck Monsters anyways, even if we had an easy Blue-Eyes there. It'd be more efficient to prevent the Special Summon of Effect Monsters, or prevent the Special Summon of Attack Position monsters, or outright don't conduct the Battle Phase that turn.

Another option is only being able to use this at the start of Main Phase 1, so that you have to account for this card's usage a whole turn prior, only risking the card you'll draw before using this card. This would kind of screw you over enough to be a risk move.

Just throwing those options out there.

Gathering of the Particularly UnPeculiar: Spell - Normal
Add 8 Normal Monsters from your Deck to your hand with different Levels. You cannot Special Summon Normal Monsters the turn you activate this effect. At the end of the turn you activated this card, SHUFFLE your entire hand into your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Gathering of the Particularly Peculiar" per turn.

Shuffling into the Deck will prevent a lot of non-sense. You can still pull normal pendulum monsters and set your scale, place all non-monsters or activate stuff to lower hand size down. The card does allow normal summon.

1 card to get 8 normal monsters (+7)

-2 scales monsters and normal summon (-3)

still have 4 monsters in your hand to worry about plus anything else you have in hand such as spell/trap/effect monsters

shuffling the deck prevents grave abuse and etc. and this helps stop making this a +7 kind of card.

Either fusion or some kind of discard to get exodia deck

play this card add 7 monsters (including exodia normal monster)

cards that discard to draw to keep using spell/trap so win using exodia before shuffling entire hand into deck. use pendulums as back up.

igknight as scales to thin further.

shuffling prevents later turn abuse and adds a timer to the card. Makes setting a priority before activating the card, playing out your entire hand then dropping this down.

Gathering of the Particularly UnPeculiar: Spell - Normal

Add 8 Normal Monsters from your Deck to your hand with different Levels. You cannot Special Summon Normal Monsters the turn you activate this effect. At the end of the turn you activated this card, SHUFFLE your entire hand into your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Gathering of the Particularly Peculiar" per turn.

Shuffling into the Deck will prevent a lot of non-sense. You can still pull normal pendulum monsters and set your scale, place all non-monsters or activate stuff to lower hand size down. The card does allow normal summon.

shuffling prevents later turn abuse and adds a timer to the card. Makes setting a priority before activating the card, playing out your entire hand then dropping this down.

Might be fair but it doesn't seem to be all that fun of a card to play, and the restriction kind of misses the point of the card, which was originally meant for cards like Chimeratech Overdragon, which could be combo'd with stuff like Overload Fusion for a potential threat later on.

The cards searched out via this one actually have plenty of use.

The already mentioned Pendulum Scales will make up for 2 out of the 8 searches.

Then you can always adapt it into a Fusion Deck, and Fusion Recycling Plant can discard another vanilla to give you the Poly search. Assuming you are using low key 2 materials (and including Scales), you only have 3 remaining vanillas in hand.

The card needs to be able to grab them from the GY too, otherwise regular Geminis won't be viable choices (the ones from the AGM contest will though, so if DPR pretends to use that form of Gemini, that's more viable). It'll definitely help the card to grab from the Deck and/or GY. This as the first step, after that we'll think of the balancing factors.

I recommend you shuffle your hand into the Deck, then add your 8 monsters, adding from your Deck a number up to the cards returned to the Deck, and then any extra from the GY that'd help you complete the 8 different Levels. This would mean that:

-You have to set down Quick-plays, disabling them for the turn (Twin Twister would have otherwise been a solid discard, or Hand Destruction).

-You can only plus off of it if there is setup from the GY.

-You don't need to fear having drawn into some of the 8 vanillas, or worry about running more than one of each.

-You might be able to get rid of the "discard all during the End Phase" and overall make it easier for a deck to be based around it.

All in all, it'd still require some sort of drawback though. I don't think preventing vanilla Specials is the best way though. I'd personally say, let them Pendulum Summon the 5 monsters they'll be Summoning from the hand (Level 1 and 8 would be Scales, and Levels 2 to 7 would best case scenario be all fair play).  Most of them would end up trying to ladder into Effect Extra Deck Monsters anyways, even if we had an easy Blue-Eyes there. It'd be more efficient to prevent the Special Summon of Effect Monsters, or prevent the Special Summon of Attack Position monsters, or outright don't conduct the Battle Phase that turn.

Another option is only being able to use this at the start of Main Phase 1, so that you have to account for this card's usage a whole turn prior, only risking the card you'll draw before using this card. This would kind of screw you over enough to be a risk move.

Just throwing those options out there.

Not being able to Special Summon Effect Monsters is probably a good idea. (if that's necessary with the new idea)

Anyway, looking at the idea, maybe the card is scavengable, most notably by scraping the entire idea of a +7. 

Making a reload card that adds an equal number of Normal Monsters from your Deck to your hand with different Levels is probably a good idea, since it's a bit restricted on its own but can be pretty powerful in the right Deck. 

To make it better, I think a +1 to the amount of cards you get to count for the card you're using for the effect would be nice, being able to search for Blue Eyes White Dragon for Trade-in, Galaxy Serpent for Cards of Consonance, and an Exodia Piece simultaneously, although you'd have to shuffle your hand into your Deck in the first place so you wouldn't be able to use this to fetch the last piece of Exodia. It would also combo well in Igknights with Igknight Reload. Sounds pretty useful. 

As for restrictions, I'd say make it so you can't add cards from your Deck to your hand for the rest of the turn. That way Igknights and Metalfoes can get their cards but they can't search after the fact with their usual searching capabilities. Exodia doesn't really need that much of a nerf anyway, since FTK Exodia doesn't have nearly the power it used to and adding a couple Normal Monsters from your Deck to your hand isn't going to help.

New Version Concept 

Gathering of the Particularly UnPeculiar

Spell - Normal

Shuffle all cards from your hand into your Deck, then add Normal Monsters with different Levels from your Deck to your hand up to the number of cards you shuffled into the Deck +1. For the rest of the turn after this card resolves, you cannot add cards from your Deck to your hand. 

It's not what I expected but I'm satisfied xD

Yeah, it allows using the vanillas in any way you want, but replaces your full hand and prevents searchability for the rest of the turn. The +1 in the text is important. It still thins the deck by 1 and it doesn't make you brick if you drew some of them already.

Also, when it comes to both the new and the old version, it should be a given that this doesn't do anything with Exodia. All limbs are Level 1s so one would have to do it every turn with a different copy of this card, it'd re-shuffle your hand every time so it'd reset the previous (slow) copy's search, and it'd have insufficient copies of this to get all pieces. All in all it would be an impossibility. So anybody mentioning Exodia: I think we don't need to worry about that.

I actually cannot really think of a play with this card. Even if you setup Scales and bring out all these monsters, I don't entirely buy it that such a hand would be better than the hand prior to using this card, but the idea still has potential somewhere.

I've been meaning to do some sort of Card Destruction for vanillas (as in, both players discard any number of vanillas they have/want from their hand and draw that many cards), and if something like that (just an example) existed, it'd create a wonderful setup for a deck that revolved around vanillas as the core (such as anime Elemental HERO, which can at the very least go for Neos (7), Burstinatrix/Avian (3), and Clayman/Sparkman (4). Not to mention once there, there's plenty of "add 2 from GY to hand" support that is either for vanillas, or for other themes that can encompass vanillas.

All in all, the card could make for an engine.

(well, in the above example, I am aware your newer version doesn't allow further search... and I suppose that includes drawing, but still, just throwing out ideas like I always do when I post xD )

Archived