Wayward Boots

Armoire

Inspired by Egmodeus XVII's "Sidestep".

nXjYQGN.png

[spoiler=Lore]When a card or effect is activated: You can banish the equipped monster and have this card be treated as a Continuous Spell Card. Immediately after the Chain involving this card's activation resolves, return that monster to the field and equip this card to it. If this card is sent to the the GY: You send 1 card from your hand to the GY; add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Wayward Boots" once per turn.

I took a liking to the concept and thought the concept would be more powerful/viable if it was able to be used more than once. Can be used to reset come effects or conditions, avoid field wipes, and avoid targeting effects. It does not protect the monster from battle, however.

Cool card, although I feel you could do something that doesn't turn it into a Continuous Spell.

You could either make it so it banishes itself with the monster and returns simultaneously (not 100% that works) or have it return to the hand when the monster is banished, which adds a bit more utility to the card.

Sample:

Sidesteps

Spell - Equip

When a card or effect is activated (Quick Effect): You can return this card to your hand, and if you do, banish the equipped monster until the next Standby Phase. You can only use this effect of "Sidesteps" once per turn.

Couple other things:

• Technically without a once per turn, if your opponent would attempt to MST, or if you activate a card effect, you can chain this card's effect again and still dodge it. This technically makes it so your monster is unaffected by card effects forever. I would add either a HOPT just to be safe. This way the card can be MST'd and be played around, which is something the card needs. 
  • You could possibly make it a Trap Equip. Not saying you should, but you could.

Wayward Boots
Equip Spell

Once per turn, when a card or effect is activated (Quick Effect): You can return this card to your hand, and if you do, banish the equipped monster until the next Standby Phase, then equip this card from your hand to that monster when it returns to the field.

Wayward Boots
Normal Trap

Activate this card by targeting 1 face-up monster on the field; equip this card to it.. Once per turn, when a card or effect is activated (Quick Effect): You can return this card to your hand, and if you do, banish the targeted monster until the next Standby Phase, then equip that monster with this card when it returns to the field.

Despite being a real nifty concept, you're not going to be playing it for its main effect. Maybe in a Deck that searches Equip Spells, but while this card grants generic protection to a monster, you're also losing any potential benefits that monster is granting you, and if you were hoping for a wall to protect your LP, it's gone now. In a rogue deck it's not much better, as Equip Spells don't have the consistency to be in your hand when you want them to. It would only work in a Deck where banishing is key to your own cards, like Shiranui.

However, this is another concept the card has going for it; being an Equip Spell, you can equip it to an opponent's monster, basically granting you of control of when it is face-up on the field or not. It targets, and can be negated, and with normal OPT (No HOPT necessary), you won't be able to spam its effect if your opponent tries emptying 3 MSTs from their hand onto it. So yeah, in an Equip Spell Deck, it might not make a bad card to run for that purpose, and if you're fine with that, don't make it a Normal Trap.

So I just realized... the version I made can be Equip to your opponent's monster as pseudo removal. Yours can too. Is that a problem? Feel mine would be better used for that so I might need "Equip to a monster you control" or something along those lines.

So I just realized... the version I made can be Equip to your opponent's monster as pseudo removal. Yours can too. Is that a problem? Feel mine would be better used for that so I might need "Equip to a monster you control" or something along those lines.

Thought that was half of the idea xd

It's Psuedo-Removal, true, but your opponent can play around it, and with so many SS2 S/T destruction, it wouldn't be hard to get rid of. Outside of an Equip centric deck, this wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know why, but I got reminded of the keyword "Forestwalk" from Magic The Gathering..... Maybe it was the art.

So the card is pretty versatile as pseudo-removal for an opponent's monster, protection for yours, and taking a monster out of an Extra Monster Zone as well.

It is good that it doesn't require an opponent's activation, and you can trigger it yourself.

I have mixed feelings on the fact it might not return the monster if its now Continuous Spell status makes its effect disappear on timely removal, though it is a nice touch that the card becomes Continuous, as it gives a window of action against the apparent invincibility. Before I realized this detail, I was thinking on suggesting the card be banished along with the monster.

The monster probably comes back a little too quickly though. It just goes out enough to dodge an effect and it is back in action. I suppose it is like Safe Zone so maybe I should be worrying about the card's ability to recycle itself instead?

Archived