[DPR] Erupted Archetype ~ Unleash the Fire Within!

TOPsycho

(Third time's the charm...)

Hello! Again! Back with another archetype, the Erupteds! These fiery foes are all based around, well fire! Volcanoes! As such, most of the deck's cards will burn you a little bit, but don't be distressed, for the Deck's trump card, Erupted Phoenix, will save you! She allows you to gain back your LP, and she also protects all of your monsters! How cool is that?! Aside from that, she is your tuner and the most important card in the deck. The main deck monsters are all pratically Vanillas, having just effect to gain advantage when they're Normal Summoned, and also hitting you with a little heat in the process. This deck realy finds it fuel in its powerful Synchro monsters, both being able to disrupt your opponent while also putting pressure on them.

This deck's main playstyle is revolved around using your resources and Phoenix, leading to a slow start. But once the deck gets rolling, your opponent will constantly be under pressure! Phoenix is your main card, but she's only able to help as long as you keep fueling her with your Erupted cards.

Without further ado, here are the Erupteds!

Erupted Phoenix
DARK/Pyro
Lv1 Tuner Effect
0 ATK/0 DEF
When an "Erupted" card or effect is activated, other than "Erupted Phoenix": gain 200 LP. This card must be in your GY to activate and resolve this effect. During the End Phase of the turn this card was sent to the GY: you can destroy 1 "Erupted" card you control; Special Summon this card, then gain 500 LP.
​*Made the first effect easier to understand
Erupted Salamander
DARK/Pyro
Lv2 Effect
1200 ATK/0 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned: send 1 "Erupted" card from your Deck to the GY, then take 500 damage.

Erupted Lampad
DARK/Pyro
Lv3 Effect
300 ATK/1900 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Erupted" monster from your hand, then take 500 damage.
​*Changed the Position effect to a Special summon from hand effect
Erupted Lione
DARK/Pyro
Lv4 Effect
1600 ATK/900 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned: add 1 "Erupted" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand, then take 500 damage.

Erupted Hellhound
DARK/Pyro
Lv5 Effect
2000 ATK/1300 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned: Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Erupted" monster from your Deck, then take 500 damage.

Erupted Chimera
DARK/Pyro
Lv6 Effect
2200 ATK/400 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned: add 1 "Erupted" card from your Deck to your hand, then take 500 damage.

Erupted Dragon
DARK/Pyro
Lv8 Effect
2700 ATK/100 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned: target up to 2 "Erupted" monsters in your GY; Special Summon those targets, then take 500 damage.
​*Can now Special Summon 2 monsters, and removed the Position restriction
Erupted Cherufe
DARK/Pyro
Lv9 Synchro Effect
2500 ATK/3000 DEF
~1 "Erupted Phoenix" + 1 or more non-Tuner Pyro monsters
When this card is Special Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Erupted" monster from your Deck in Defense Position. Once per turn, when your opponent would Summon a monster(s) (Quick Effect): destroy 1 "Erupted" card you control; negate the Summon, and if you do, return that card(s) to the hand. You can only activate each effect of "Erupted Cherufe" once per turn.
*Added a once per turn clause
Erupted Ifrit
DARK/Pyro
Lv10 Synchro Effect
3000 ATK/2500 DEF
~1 "Erupted Phoenix" + 2 or more non-Tuner Pyro monsters
When this card is Special Summoned: target up to 5 "Erupted" monsters in your GY; inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each card. Once per turn, when your opponent activates a card or effect (Quick Effect): you can destroy 1 "Erupted" card you control; negate the activation, and if you, negate that card's effects for the rest of the turn. You can only activate each effect of "Erupted Ifrit" once per turn
​*Added a once per turn clause
Erupted Echidna
DARK/Pyro
LINK 2 Effect
1500 ATK SW, SE
~2 "Erupted" monsters
Once per turn: you can destroy 1 "Erupted" monster this card points to; Special Summon 1 "Erupted" monster from your GY in Defense Position, then take 500 damage. If this card on the field is destroyed and sent to the GY: you can shuffle 5 "Erupted" cards from your GY into the Deck, including this card.
​*Added a "can" clause to the shuffle effect
Erupted Volcano
Field Spell
"Erupted" monsters you control and in your GY are treated as FIRE Attribute. Once per turn: you can target 1 "Erupted" monster in your GY then send 1 "Erupted" monster from your Deck to the GY; add that target to your hand, then take 500 damage. When this card is destroyed by your opponent's card effect: you can destroy 1 "Erupted" monster you control; activate 1 "Erupted Volcano" from your Deck, then inflict 500 damage to your opponent.
​*Erupteds in GY are FIRE as well, and the destruction effect is now optional
Erupted Metamorph
Equip Spell
Equip only to an "Erupted" monster. During the End Phase, if an "Erupted" monster was sent to the GY this turn: the equipped monster gains 500 ATK. If this card is destroyed while equipped to a monster and sent to the GY: you can Special Summon 1 "Erupted" monster from your hand in Defense Position, then take 500 damage.

Erupted Tephrash
Normal Spell
If "Erupted Volcano" is on the field: destroy 1 "Erupted" monster you control; inflict 200 damage to your opponent x the destroyed monster's Level, then Special Summon 1 "Erupted Phoenix" from your Deck.

Erupted Ashfault
Normal Trap
Destroy 1 "Erupted" card you control, then target 2 cards your opponent controls: destroy those targets. If this card is in your GY: you can destroy 1 "Erupted" monster you control; Set this card from your GY, then take 500 damage.

Erupted Magma Barrage
Continuous Trap
Once per turn: you can target 1 "Erupted" monster in your GY, then destroy 1 "Erupted" monster you control whose Level is higher than or equal to the targeted monster's Level; Special Summon the targeted monster, then inflict 500 damage to your opponent. If this card is in your GY: you can destroy 1 "Erupted" monster you control; place this card face-up in your Spell/Trap Card Zone, then take 500 damage.
​*Changed the effect to also Special Summon an Erupted monster from grave with an appropriate level

Please feel free to leave any critiques!

Next time, PLEASE pitch your game to the club with a prompt. If you can explain what’s unique about the archetype in the paragraph, not only will you give more perspective to your reviewers, it’ll tell you whether or not it’s a good idea, giving a bit of quality control to the DPR. It’s on the DPR page that you have to make a prompt first. The goal is to make the best cards possible for a fun competitive environment in the DPR when we start tournaments around next month. You are in a club. If you’re making something we can help. We’re in this together.

Also, typically we post in Advanced Card Design, more so so that we make Design Notes for what each card does and what it's supposed to do, helping reviewers figure out what you're hoping to do with each cog in your archetype.

Erupted Phoenix

DARK - Level 1 - Pyro/Tuner/Effect - 0 ATK/0 DEF

“When a “Erupted” card or effect is activated, other than “Erupted Phoenix”, while this card is in the GY:” Wuh?

I kinda get what you mean. This is the closest to correct OCG I can get:

While this card is in the GY, when a “Erupted” card’s effect is activated, except “Erupted Phoenix”: Gain 200 LP. At the end of the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can destroy 1 “Erupted” card you control; Special Summon this card, then gain 500 LP.

This is pretty cool. Reminds of Darklord Marie, which is a bad card, but I like because it’s a continuously usable effect from the GY, which tbh might be a route you want to take with all of your cards rather than just this one, since most the other Main Deck monsters aren’t that interesting. Because of obvious reasons, I might adapt the effect to this so it doesn’t s

Erupted all Main Deck non-Tuners

I’m seeing a lot of single effect stuff without much depth to them. All this does is searches with a 500 damage cost. That’s it. Where’s the depth in that? Where’s the creativity? The innovation? For you to make a archetype that catches people off guard, the mechanics of the cards themselves should be interesting to interact with, and unique so that it justifies the archetype’s existence. At the moment, they doesn’t have that quality.

What I might do is give them effects for when you take 500 or less damage, and have it almost like they increase the damage for advantage. Make sure most of them are once per turn though. Sample:

Wisper of Erraticmagma

DARK - Level 4 - Pyro/Effect - 2100 ATK/200 DEF

This card cannot be destroyed by battle. During damage calculations, if this card battles a monster: The original ATK of this card becomes 100 lower than the monster this card battles. If you take 500 or less damage: You can destroy 1 card your opponent controls, and if you do, take 500 damage. You can only use this effect of “Wisper of Erraticmagma” once per turn.

This effect not only synergizes with the archetype, but it synergizes with itself. All of its pieces interact with each other. It can’t be destroyed by battle, so becoming 100 lower than the monster it battles doesn’t mean it’s the end. When it does end up battling, you’ll take 100 damage, which means you can trigger its effect. That way, you not only can destroy the monster it battled, but also take damage which might trigger a “When you take damage effect” which wouldn’t have triggered from the battle.

That kind of thought is what I’m trying to inspire in the DPR, since not many cards in Yugioh are like this but the ones that are usually are the ones that are most fun to play.

Level 5 or higher and don’t Special Summon themselves somehow

No one will ever run these. Constellars were set up in a similar way (in fact your design philosophy of 1 simple effect is basically 90% of Constellar). Especially since they can’t activate their effects once Special Summoned. As such I recommend avoiding these kinds of cards, especially since they don’t support the design of the archetype really.

Erupted Cherufe

Synchros? Interesting, but how are you Summoning this. Currently you don’t have much of a way of bringing monsters onto the field. Don’t get me wrong making this easy to Summon is probably a bad idea, but considering the speed of the game as it is may justify making your Deck faster. Think Karakuri with the ability to use Rekindling in terms of power.

Another gripe is synergy. You seem to have a lot of effects that do damage to yourself, but not many effects that exploit this. I said this earlier, but the boss monsters are probably the ones that should capitalize on all that damage you’ll be taking with possibly a non OPT effect, like “if you take 500 or less damage: Gain 1000 LP.” Phoenix also has LP gain, so maybe that’s another point of the Deck: To come back from the brink like a Phoenix.

Also concerned that destroying a card you control is a cost (costs are things behind a semicolon or “;”) which means your effects might not trigger depending on how you word them.

The card itself is pretty good though. I might make the Special Summon from Deck effect only when Synchro Summoned, since I can see several things getting exploited if you want to increase the efficiency of the Deck.

Erupted Ifrit

Wait it doesn’t shuffle the cards back into your Deck? Only targets them? Bit weird but ok. Again probably make it only when its Synchro Summoned, since this could easily be exploited.

Generic negation is pretty amazing, but this doesn’t Special Summon its own cost so I’d say it’s a bit more balanced that some cards *looks at Cyber Dragon Infinity.

I’m surprised your cost is destroying your own cards though, since damage seemed to be the point. Maybe make it so it damages both players with the first effect, and then take the cost off the negating effect. Maybe.

Erupted Echidna

Well this is good. Replaces the monsters you have with other ones in your GY at the cost of that it can’t attack the turn you Summon it (AKA Defense Position). The 500 damage could be nice if you had some more effects to trigger it. The last effect though isn’t optional, which sucks. Probably make it “You can shuffle 5 “Erupted” card from your GY to your Deck, including this card.”

Cards fine otherwise.

Erupted Volcano

Field Spell

Cool that they become FIRE, but kinda pointless unless the card supported DARK and FIRE monsters, where generics could be fitted in the Deck from both Attributes but cards of the archetype would get more benefits.

The effect is REALLY good though. The fact it searches itself is also nice, but I might make it so you take 500-1000 damage rather than destroy a Erupted monster you control, since it can easily be played around by by destroying all your monsters first, and then maybe take off the burn to your opponent to alleviate the decreased cost.

I do wish rather than being a OPT it was “If you take 500 or less/more damage” so it could work during your opponent’s turn and synergie more with the archetype.

Erupted Metamorph

Metalmorph? Equip Spell? What?

Special Summons from hand, but considering your monster was just destroyed I would say Special Summoning from Deck would be more balanced.

Otherwise I might have the ATK boost say “If you take 500 or less damage: Increase the equipped monster’s ATK equal to the damage you took.” This way it’ll have more synergy with the archetype as a whole.

However, I have to warn equip cards aren’t exactly for archetypes unless they’re really good Equips or the archetype is Equip based. This card doesn’t fall into either, so I wouldn’t make Equips for the archetype.

Erupted Tephrash

I’m really irritated the Spells don’t synergize with taking damage, but I’ll get to that later. It’s a burn card, and it Special Summons from the Deck. Give it a hard OPT. Other than that the card is technically fine.

Erupted Ashfault

Icarus Attack, but it works on cards rather than just monsters, meaning you act activate this in response to something like Tephrash to destroy 2 cards without a cost. If you do have that effect, you need a “but banish it when it leaves the field” so it doesn’t loop.

Erupted Magma Barrage

Not worth it at all. None of your Erupted monsters actually have a reason to be destroyed, making this just 500 damage… which sucks. The card itself is expecting to be in a archetype like Scraps, Crystrons, Burning Abyss, or something that relies on getting things from field to GY, but the archetype doesn’t support it.

You have a bunch of effects that deal damage to you, but it almost looks like you’re trying to compensate for this by burning you opponent, which really isn’t what you should be doing. Instead, you should be embracing taking small bits of damage and exploiting it with the archetype. It would be a interesting concept but it doesn’t seem you go anywhere with it, which is just wasted potential. Here’s a sample of a really cool card for this sort of “you take damage effect”.

I made a Spell recently to show you a direction you could go with the archetype if you’re up for it.

Fireworks

Spell - Normal

Inflict 500 damage to your opponent. When this card is sent to the GY: You can take 500 damage. You can only use this effect of “Fireworks” once per turn. While this card is in your GY, the turn you activate this card, if you take 500 or less damage: You can add this card from your GY to your hand.

The card essentially deals more damage the more you take damage, benefitting from you taking damage. If you can make it so you take damage at least 3-4 times per turn for your archetype, maybe you could take advantage of its design.

Hello, Eshai, thank you for your review. I do apologize, I'm still learning what all to do, but I understand what you mean by prompt now.

On your review:

Phoenix is the main card. I may not have worded it correctly, but I wanted her effect to go off ​whenever​ a "Erupted" card is activated, and have her effect happen on the same chain. Basically, I activate the effect of Ifrit to target monsters, then Phoenix's mandatory​ effect goes on the same chain. I based the deck around this effect. In other words, your effects cannot be negated while she is in GY, so that's why they are all relatively basic and have the 500 self-burn.

I think that fairly compensates for the monsters? I could maybe put more on the Lv5 and ups, but I didn't want them to get too much.

I could probably put just a hard OPT on the Synchros effects. As for Ifrit, I didn't shuffle the cards just in case of Echidna, but also for generic usage. (If you do summon multiple, you'll still have cards to target)

Echidna was supposed to be your recycler/enabler. In the lore, she is the mother of Ifrit and Cherufe, hence her being the Link. But the mandatory shuffle was just there, I might have forgotten to add "can". I like recycling.

For Volcano, the least I would do is make "Erupted"s in GY count as FIREs too. I think the effect is okay as it is, but detail below.

In all honesty, Metamorph was just for pun's sake. Metalmorph, metamorphic rock, eh. But it is, albeit slow, an equip the boosts attack basically every turn, and Summons a monster. You could even destroy the equipped monster by one of the costs and get a free Summon out of it.

I think Tephrash is fair enough. You can only use it while Volcano is active, you have to destroy for a maximum of 2000 damage, which is only if you destroy a Synchro, and you can only Summon Phoenix, so I think in all fairness that the card is balanced.

Ashfault can't really loop. Sure, it can pull itself back out, but you need to destroy a monster for that, take 500 each time, and you have to wait a turn. It's basically you're only real removal.

Now, I do admit I could have done more with Magma Barrage, but I wasn't sure what to do. Once again, I did not want to make this deck overpowered. But I probably could've changed it to a Special Summon and burn, or just a Special Summon.

For a final word:

Phoenix is your main card. As long as she's in grave, your Erupteds cant be negated, and you get some of your LP back. This is also why I have destructions as cost. I really wanted to make sure this mechanic was balanced, and I think I did that fairly well. I will try to soup up some of the effects, but I strongly feel that overall the deck isn't a trifle.

Side note:

The destruction as cost was intentionally. How that works is basically just the same as targeting, then destroying, but at once. This way, you always lose a card for cost, and you can't avoid it. I think you said that I could use Tephrash and then destroy the same monster with Ashfault, but it wouldn't work like that. You would actually have to destroy two monsters/cards.

Again, thank you for your review. I very much appreciate it, and if you have any more suggestions, I would be more than happy to hear them. I do hope that what I've said has cleared up any confusion though.

Phoenix is the main card. I may not have worded it correctly, but I wanted her effect to go off ​whenever​ a "Erupted" card is activated, and have her effect happen on the same chain. Basically, I activate the effect of Ifrit to target monsters, then Phoenix's mandatory​ effect goes on the same chain. I based the deck around this effect. In other words, your effects cannot be negated while she is in GY, so that's why they are all relatively basic and have the 500 self-burn.

I think that fairly compensates for the monsters? I could maybe put more on the Lv5 and ups, but I didn't want them to get too much.

Cannot be negation might be broken a bit broken tbh, but either way whatever that's not the point.

My point is that a single card may make having the cards more interesting, but it doesn't make them play in a more interesting way. It just makes it so you don't have to take risks when activating effects, which isn't what you want. That's just detrimental to the overall activity between players, and should not be used as the card you make the Deck around. 

Simplicity is nice, but single sentence cards that don't differentiate themselves from cards already released is just lazy. The example I gave you single-handedly gives you several choices when using the card, and even more when you have other monsters on the field. Those are the kinds of cards you want, especially in an archetype without too much Special Summoning.

What I'm mostly saying about the Level 5 or highers is that players wouldn't use them, which is the opposite of what you want when making cards. I used Constellars as a reference because they're very much similar to your cards, and all they're used for is there searching and speed, and since they aren't good at that anymore the Deck is only used for the merit of using them. If you want people to keep using your archetype despite it being power crept, it has to play differently from other archetypes in a way that appeals to players. If you want that, then you should make ALL of the cards cool, rather than just making 1 cool card to justify your lack of interest in making the rest of the Main Deck Monsters cool.

The point of the deck was to be a slow creeper. A powerful, but not oppressing deck. Sure, your effects can't be negated, unless something like Skill Drain is up, but the effects aren't actively shutting down the opponent. I made the archetype to be an interesting and unique archetype. You have to rely on all of your cards to get somewhere. Its not just every card doing everything. The self-burn and destruction was a balancing factor.

Archived