(Written) Handtrap degeneracy

Enegma

I got some inspiration from a... questionable handtrap fusion spell I saw a while back, so I took it a bit further and turned it into a pseudo-archetype.

Lost Spirit of the Spring

Lv5, Light, Contact Fusion, Tuner, Effect

ATK 0 / DEF 2200

"Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring" + "Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries" + "Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit"
Must first be Special Summoned (From your Extra Deck) by sending the above materials from your hand or your field to the GY. (You do not use Polymerization.) During either player's turn, when your opponent activates a card or effect that targets a card you control; banish 1 Fusion material for this card from your GY, negate the effect and destroy that card. You can only use the effect of "Lost Spirit of the Spring" once per turn.

Spirit's Chaneller 
Lv2, Dark, Tuner, Effect
ATK 0 / DEF 200

If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is Normal or Special summoned, you can add 1 level 3 or lower Tuner monster from your Deck to your hand, or send it to the GY. You can tribute this card, Special Summon 1 Tuner with 1800 DEF from your Deck. The last two effects of "Spirit's Chaneller" can only be used once per Duel.

Snow Rabbit's Hideout
Field Spell

During your Main Phase, you can Special Summon up to 2 level 3 or lower Tuner monsters from your hand or GY, their effects are negated, also return those cards to their respectful places during your End Phase. Those monsters cannot be used as Xyz material. Once per turn, you can banish 2 cards from your GY (Quick Effect); Special Summon 1 level 5 Tuner Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, ignoring it's summoning conditions.

Thoughts? 

Handtraps. Truly the manifestation of the degeneration of the current metagame into the abomination we see it as today.

But there is a Fusion here so its okay ^^

On a more serious note, said Fusion is bad, even considering it Summoning requirements. You do bascially get to dump it from your hand, but you are going -2 here to bring it out, you need to draw the required materials (not even your second card helps it that much :( ), and it only protects against targeting? You need to think about whether you're going to be Summoning this, or keeping your 3 hand traps in your hand. In fact, getting rid of the utility granted by having traps in your hand by placing it on the field would require a much stronger effect. However...you can't really make it much stronger. In order to compensate for the weakness of this series of cards, you'd have to boost them an archetype without making an absurd boss. Well, you could, but it would just be an "open all 3 or surrender" situation.

I really hate once per duel effects. The only place I give them passes is in "heart of the cards" situations where you'll only need them once, but this card would be integral to Summoning the boss otherwise. Channeler does have generic search effects, true, but why not limit them further? Build up the idea of an archetype that I once tried to do and fail.  Also, why does it send to the GY? I want handtraps in my hand, not as fuel for Hideout. In any case, I would suggest removing the OPD effect, and instead restrict the effect further.

Hideout is slight better. The first effect, while being super helpful for your intentions, doesn't make it worth running outside of this series. Even with the usefulness of the second effect, I don't think it makes up for the Fusion, as otherwise it's sort of pointless to make it Summonable on your own. Make it easier to get out, and that simply balances out with the field's method of getting it out. This card opens up the door a little to a better archetype, and I think your intent here is what you should focus on.

I rarely say this, but expand these. The only way to support these 3 un-archetypal handtraps without making broken cards is to build a Deck around them, and with a Deck you need fuel. But don't only do that. These cards are salvageable; just do some tweaking here and there, and you should be fine.

Archived