[Writing discussion] How to not be hindered by "what the mainstream thinks"?

I Hate Snatch Steal

I wasn't sure what other expression to put in the title but here goes.

When it comes to other creative areas such as card making and modding, I can follow my passion and not worry about how what other people might think about my work. For example I printed created cards out and took them to local hobby shops where they were not always well received, but that didn't dampen my desire to do so.

However, when it comes to writing, I used to be able to follow my passion and say "that sounds like a fun story concept for me to write, I'll do it"

This is s a fic from that time for reference:

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/321335-argent-the-fox-duelist-a-yu-gi-oh-sonic-x-crossover/

I generally write about Sonic the Hedgehog or DC/Marvel Comics animated universe.

I'm not sure exactly when or why, but that somehow my passion for writing was infected with a worry about what the "mainstream" will think about my work. Sentiments such as "OCs are bad: Self inserts are worse" that one hears a lot started to follow me around so to speak. Despite the fact that personally I've never disliked these premises. In fact, I still like reading a well done self insert and/or a story where the OC has knowledge of the timeline already. Granted, there are some stories where I read the summary and say "no, that's not something I want to read" but this feel different. Other issues include doubting what my OCs can and cannot be or can and cannot do beyond what I personally consider necessary for the story: Its as if I have a dark side that follows my brainstorming around and questions all my writing based on these "mainstream" views, and I really want to smash it with the strength of a kryptonian, cut it up with adamantium blades and then nuke the pieces with a chaos blast. How would you advise me?

edit: though I haven't written too much lately, it was also very annoying to have this "dark side" trying to sap away my enjoyment of Sonic Forces

edit2: I think I've solved this now but feel free to post anyway if you want.

I prefer to write the kind of stories I would like to read.

I like chapters to be episodic. I like them to kind of have a definitive stopping point, but also keep me guessing. Give me some answers, but also leave me with a few questions.

I like stories with, for lack of a better term, "plot twists". I love it when I read a story and undertand it to be one way, and then I learn something new that completely changes my understanding, while still all remaining consistent with what I read so far.

I also like it when an author has a plan. You can tell that their story points are building towards something.

With regards to fanfics, I hate stories that have actual characters from the canon. I prefer stories heavily inspired by and taking place within the same universe, and I appreciate the nod and the wink towards the audience as you reference one of the main characters or mention how what they did was important, but to just outwardly use them is lame. I kinda have an expectation of what "Jaden Yuki" is like, but "John Smith" is a blank slate.

So that's kind of how I set up the things that I write.

As for "what the mainstream thinks"... I honeslty have no idea what the mainstream thinks of my story. I rarely got that many comments on any of the stories I wrote so far (hint hint. ;D). I got "likes", and that's nice but I guess I'd prefer something more concrete, but I can't force anyone to read my fics or comment on them or give their opinion.

The few that have read them though did enjoy them though. The only complaint I've gotten so far is that they're long, but they're easy reads with simple word choices and important concepts get said and repeated often enough that it's not difficult to follow along.

ObligatoryWhoringByPointingToMySig

So... tl;dr - How to not be hindered by "what the mainstream thinks"? I dunno. What does the mainstream think?

The important thing is not to worry about what people will think, but to worry about the story in general. A good story, a proper story, deserves your full attention and focus so it can become something greater. Never worry about giving people what they want, that's for talentless hacks who don't have the passion and creativity those with talent actually have. Give the story your time, give it your effort and focus, allow yourself to become immersed in the story and make it what you want it to be. What you want it to be comes first and foremost... unless you're writing for someone else, as commissions/requests are different.

Long story short, don't worry about it. You can't please everyone, so please yourself first, then other people second.

Archived