Season 17 Postseason (Match 1-C1)

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Standard stuff

- First to 3 or most votes by deadline (12/19/2017 @ 8:45 pm HST) wins.

- If tied by the deadline, I will tiebreak.

- Voters must elaborate on both cards.

- Participants and I reserve right to contest reasoning if needed.

- Voters with accepted posts will be repped.

Theme

Make a non-Cyberse Link Monster.

iU8EggM.png

Card A

Wightydumpty

EARTH | Link 2 | Zombie | Link | Effect

ATK 1800

SW/SE

2 Zombie monsters

When this card is Link Summoned: You can add 1 Zombie monster from your Deck to your hand, and if you do, if it was a “Wight” or “Skull Servant” monster; you can Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of “Wightydumpty” once per turn. If this card battles, during damage calculation: You can send 1 Zombie monster from your Deck to the GY. You can banish this card from your GY; until the End Phase, the names of all Zombie monsters in the GYs become "Skull Servant".

Card B

Step of the Sea Creature
DARK | Link 3 | Sea Serpent | Link | Effect

ATK 2300

N / SW / SE
2+ non-Token monsters, including a previously Set monster.
When this card is Link Summoned: Switch control of all face-down cards on the field. Both players must control an equal number of Set cards to activate and resolve this effect. Once per turn, when a previously Set card or card’s effect is activated (Quick Effect): You can negate its effect and return it to its original position.

=====

Circumstances in this match are that neither of their opponents submitted a card by the deadline / requested extension, so both Eshai and BatMed got a win by default. Though, as consolation for them, they get this match to face off.

Result will not count towards the actual tournament, and is more for them actually getting to use their work instead of designing for naught.

[Therefore, if this does end in a tie vote (and not 0-0), it'll be treated like a normal Leaderboard match and just declared in a draw.]

======

Alright guys, go vote.

Vote for Card B.

Card A:

IMO Skull Servants have plenty of "treated as Skull Servant" monsters. Adding more, especially an ED monster that is also a Link, which means it is more accessible than an Xyz or Synchro, feels like a slippery slope because it can make the King unintentionally overpowered.

As if that wasn't enough, the search effect is too damn broad, with no sort of limitations nor drawbacks like Isolde, and the last effect can further empower King.... this reeks of trouble to me.

Card B:

I like it for being creative with the "that was previously Set" conditions and being able to negate anything that was Set, but it merely Sets it back so you can't say the opponent is taking -1s. The on-Summon effect is funny, even if it's situational. I do wish it wasn't mandatory, though. Then again, you can always manipulate your board to make it not live.

At first I found its summoning requirements too cumbersome, considering not only that as a Link3 it needs 3 monsters, also you cannot shortcut into it with Tokens, although enough Link1s a substitutes should be available but they will be taking ED space, and you should have at least 1 flipped-up monster, but since the card-swapping effect can be devastating depending on what you give and take, it should be fair.

At first I agreed with Darj, but then, on rereading...

The problem with Card B is how situational it is, especially in Link Format. Firstly, the face-down requirement immediately means that against Link Decks, you'll have a problem. Secondly, of the three main archetypes that deal the best with face-down cards, Krawler doesn't deal so well with your opponent's cards, Ghostrick is barely live anymore even with this, and Subterror has a much better Link to go into. Even so, the requirement for an exact match in the number of cards is ridiculous, allowing your opponent to easily chain something in order to change the number of Set cards they control (thanks to that stupid effect). Being mandatory doesn't exactly hurt it, but it is a nerf of some description. The negation is a little better, as it can negate anything as long as it was set at some point the last game, but it not being a -1 is even worse. This screams of being a powerful boss for an archetype, yet there isn't really an archetype that needs this. Perhaps a one-off, but its Link Arrows and Summoning restrictions not being amazing doesn't help its case.

Card A makes me think of all the genericish Link Support that Konami has been giving to archetypes as an excuse to help an entire Type/strategy. Firstly, I hate Zombies, but adding to the hand doesn't seem like an amazingly helpful tool for said Type. I mean, hooray for consistency and all, but you already have Crystron if you have Uni-Zombie to immediately get you a Tuner on the field, and since you'll generally use both of Uni-Zombie's effects already...not really a problem. Also, HOPT is nice. Then general play to get out this card would be to Summon that Shiranui that Summons Uni-Zombie, mill/discard twice (one being Mezuki), go into this card with Uni and a monster Summoned by Mezuki, leaving you with at least 3 Zombies in your GY and a King of the Skull Servants thanks to, again, this card. Attack with this card, hopefully ramming into a monster to net you a Wightprince in your GY, granting you two more Skull Servants. Unfortunately, as its GY effect is not a Quick effect, you'll have to live with your 3k+ King. Easily breakable combo, but at the same time it does grant a little more consistency to the Deck. As Darj said, a little on the OP side, but, less so than Card B on the UP side.

Vote to Card A.

1-1 both.

Just a reminder that because this is technically "unofficial" (or just them getting to actually USE their entries instead of designing for nothing), once match ends, that's it. If it ends in draw, then that's the result. Both of them are going into the three-way against whoever wins 1-1 in round 2, so...

Archived