What's your Anime of the Year 2017?

Since this season's anime is ending this week or next, I figured now's a good time as any.

All my favorites of this year were sequels:

My Hero Academia 2

Rakugo 2

March Comes in like a Lion 2

Attack on Titan 2

The non-sequels I really enjoy and feel like are deserving are:

Inuyashiki

Made in Abyss

Little Witch Academia

Re:Creators

Ancient Magus Bride is too early to say, needs to finish first before I make a call. But it's certainly a contender.

What are your picks?

Well, let's see, what have I watched this year? There's just so much, I'm not sure I can remember it all.

• Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS
  • Kino's Journey: The Revengening
  • Houseki no Kuni (AKA Land of the Lustrous)
  • King's Game

And...that's it. That's not all the shows I finished, that's all the shows I started; the only one I'm caught up with is VRAINS. This year was anime-light, and let me tell you, it felt good. You know what didn't feel good? Half this list!

VRAINS is VRAINS - almost always almost interesting. Kino's Journey S2 is actively painful, which makes it leagues worse than King's Game, which is passively hilarious. A bit dull to be sure, but entertaining crap is surprisingly hard to come by, particularly since I no longer have the stomach to watch light novel anime even to laugh at them.

And Houseki no Kuni...

Houseki no Kuni saved my life. Not literally, not even kind of, but it let a ray of sunshine into the darkness of my heart. I asked, "Can anime be good?" and Houseki no Kuni answered, "Yes. Sometimes anime can be about cute gem girls asexual bacteria colonies, and all the weird, kinda funked-up sheet that happens to them." And I asked, "dude wtf".

So there you go, Houseki no Kuni is objectively the best anime of 2017. Somehow, after nine years and multiple Ikuhara, anime can still be weird to me, in a good way. Incidentally, Houseki no Kuni is also the first CGI anime that doesn't look like ass, which is pretty cool.

I tend to not want to fully rate things until I finish them (there are ways to enjoy the 2 I have finished, Shojabroni & Juuni Taisen, but they are certainly not contenders by a long shot), but this season has loved me, so there might actually be something on there in my full top 5 or something (and perhaps Little Witch too).

but as of now, it's probably:

Gabriel Dropout

Sakura Quest

New Game!!

Princess Principal

Urara Meirochou

Or something close to that.

Land of the Lustrous seems popular around here. I've been liking it too, it's actually made great use of CG and been keeping me interested week by week. I'll probably continue with the manga after the season ends, unless they greenlight a season 2.

Also meant to check out Princess Principal, seems like it flew under the radar but the few things I heard about it were pretty positive.

But seriously on Blend S, it is a serious contender for me. Like I said elsewhere, actually, it's adapted from something in the same magazine with stuff such as New Game!!. K-On!, and Hidamari Sketch, but it could not have worked at all without those hilarious guys. 

Also, if you know me at all, you're not gonna believe this, but Hideri... turned me on.

Bit of a hard choice, but ultimately my choice is on Kuni.

I love Rakugo. I really do want to love it as much as something that good deserves. And I still can't believe one small scene in the final episode ruined everything about it emotionally for me. So yeah.

LWA is my personal feel good anime. Diana is the bestest girl, and it's a really fun ride. A very flawed ride, but still fun nevertheless.

Made in Abyss is a really good adaptation of a really good manga, but episode 4 to 9 suffered a lot production wise. It doesn't make it bad at all (it's still amazing) but it does dampen the appreciation a little. MiA's final episode was one of the best episodes of the year though.

And so, Kuni. An obscure manga with artsy and surreal style that is nevertheless quite charming, being adapted into CG with GATE's director helming the project. As much as I love the manga it's still hard to believe how great the anime adapted it. It ranks as one of the best manga adaptation ever, if we talk about them as an adaptation.

HnK is faithful but at the same time, how much the anime made everyone came to life was way beyond most other adaptation's work. And it doesn't even have the usual pacing issues on 12-episode anime adaptations too! (Only one pacing hiccup is on the latest episode).

Without that one scene, Rakugo would be a strong contender to Kuni for me, but otherwise Kuni wins it handily.

Archived