YCM Game of the Year 2017

Nicο

I was curious since I saw the anime one, and it seems inevitable this would appear soon anyway. I didn't exactly want to go as far as a top 10, but unfortunately, I can make one out of literally practically all the games I've played that came out this year (so I may as well), but am glad at least that I did enjoy them all:

1. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
  3. Crash Bandicoot The N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
  4. Pokemon Ultra Sun (3DS) - I feel I have to include this because it technically seems like it has enough of a different story, but the things you end up doing is of course almost no different from the original SM. It won't make top 3 because of that, but I do love Pokemon, and the things the original lacked that this has, has kind of made up for it feeling like one of the bigger cash in definitives. 
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) - Top 9 if you don't count definitive version/upgraded ports, but I think most would consider Crash to be enough of a remake for it to count
  6. Blaster Master Zero (Switch) - Idk, I thought it was so fascinating to play this style of game with these other characters, even though it really doesn't change things up enough with replayability to be worth it for too many people (I would assume). That, and I've only even played Shovel Knight's game besides this.
  7. Dragon Fang Z: The Rose & Dungeon of Time (Switch) - This one is bumping Bomberman off my list. I just love what little I've played of these kinds of games so much. I need to get to more of them. The visuals are very pleasing, the way certain mechanics work is interesting, everything man. I haven't technically gotten past any first dungeon yet, but with the way this is, maybe it just doesn't have any more? But the translation is a lot better than it was at first with an update. Better. but not the best, and... you'll still find Japanese here and there. ^-^;
  8. Slime-san (Switch)
  9. KAMIKO (Switch)
  10. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! (Switch) - My bro didn't enjoy this. From what I could get out of him, it came down to it being essentially too dark and "gory" (though that word was definitely not used) for what it is. I thought it was fun and quirky.

I haven't played as much of all the games this year, but I've got to give it to Breath of the Wild. That game is an instant classic and will be talked about and referenced for years to come just like Ocarina of Time. And it's been a long time since a game's broken into my top 5, let alone top 3.

Mario Odyssey is a very close second. One of the best Mario outings ever made with excellent platforming gameplay and pretty top-notch level design/layouts. And while its spot as the best Mario game is debatable, it's hands-down the best in presentation and charm.

So before the year ends, just want to talk about a couple other games I managed to play real quick:

Soldam: Drop,Connect,Erase - What can I say? More difficult Tetris, if that makes sense. At least I'm pleasantly surprised to see a challenge mode (legit just actual puzzles), but with everything I've played, and heard about, not gonna manage to get anywhere.

Dragon Fang Z: The Rose & Dungeon of Time - This one is bumping Bomberman off my list. I just love what little I've played of these kinds of games so much. I need to get to more of them. The visuals are very pleasing, the way certain mechanics work is interesting, everything man. I haven't technically gotten past any first dungeon yet, but with the way this is, maybe it just doesn't have any more? But the translation is a lot better than it was at first with an update. Better. but not the best, and... you'll still find Japanese here and there. ^-^;

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy MO here?

If you mean Odyssey, and like Mario in general, then you're maybe the second person I've heard of out of like... a batshirt-ton of them. But well, the first here.

So before the year ends, just want to talk about a couple other games I managed to play real quick:

Soldam: Drop,Connect,Erase - What can I say? More difficult Tetris, if that makes sense. At least I'm pleasantly surprised to see a challenge mode (legit just actual puzzles), but with everything I've played, and heard about, not gonna manage to get anywhere.

Dragon Fang Z: The Rose & Dungeon of Time - This one is bumping Bomberman off my list. I just love what little I've played of these kinds of games so much. I need to get to more of them. The visuals are very pleasing, the way certain mechanics work is interesting, everything man. I haven't technically gotten past any first dungeon yet, but with the way this is, maybe it just doesn't have any more? But the translation is a lot better than it was at first with an update. Better. but not the best, and... you'll still find Japanese here and there. ^-^;

If you mean Odyssey, and like Mario in general, then you're maybe the second person I've heard of out of like... a batshirt-ton of them.

I was expecting it to be Mario Galaxy 3, and it was sorely disappointing there.

My family loves it, but I just stick to BOTW cause it rubs me the wrong way 

I was expecting it to be Mario Galaxy 3, and it was sorely disappointing there.

My family loves it, but I just stick to BOTW cause it rubs me the wrong way 

Everyone I've heard talk about it before release thought it would be more in the vain of 64 and Sunshine, so there wasn't really much to be disappointed about for me, but I can still see that, especially with a name as grand as it has. 

I like how no one mentioned Horizon Zero Dawn..... or Doki Doki Literature Club :Kappa: .

Anyways, I haven't played many 2017 games, but those that I played were Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn, which were fantastic games.

Problem with Horizon was the world felt kind of empty. I know that's the point with the remnants of humanity and all but still.....

Archived