Paleozoic Trilobite - Newest Paleozoic Card!

Abdelrahman

Paleozoic Trilobite

WATER / Aqua / LINK 2

Down-Left / Down-Right

ATK: 1200

2 "Paleozoic" monsters

Unaffected by other monsters' effects. If this card is Link Summoned: You can discard 1 Trap; Set 1 "Paleozoic" Trap directly from your Deck, also it can be activated this turn. If this card or a "Paleozoic" monster it points to battles: You can target 1 of your banished Traps; add it to your hand, also "Paleozoic" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle for the rest of this turn. You can only activate each effect of "Paleozoic Trilobite" once per turn.

It searches the entire Archetype for the cost of discarding any Trap, making Paleozoics more consistent at getting exactly what they want, and protects Paleo monsters from battle destruction by adding a banished Trap (the ones you banished to summon it), which makes this card overall very good at generating advantage and overwhelming the opponent.

Personally, I would have liked if it had some interaction with the banished since to summon this card the trap monsters would be banished. The point of the Xyzs was to make them go to the GY when used.

Everything else is good. Protecting your monsters from battle is great since that's usually how they are outed. The destruction in addition to battle protection, milling, the searching with grave setup and it's inherent protection seems like too much for a  Link 2 but we have stuff like Heavymetalfoes Electrumite so I guess that fine. Still, feel like this card does way too much.

Card is fine but there are a couple of things that bug me. First, the search effect is fine and all, but it's too similar to Opabinia's, except that this is a Link2 and has a discard cost, which is not too bad in Paleozoics given their gimmick. Still, you could explore other methods for generating advantage besides cookie-cutter searching and spice things up a bit.

As for the second effect, my issue is with the intended mechanic behind it. I'm pretty sure there is no precedence for effects that start a chain upon a "would be destroyed by battle" condition. While there are effects that involve a "would be destroyed by battle", they are Continuous effects so they don't have to worry about timings to activate. But in the way you wrote it, there would be conflicts with timings. I mean, IDK how the rulings would go, but think about this: when exactly would you attempt to activate this effect? after the damage step maybe? remember that there are some rules on what kind of cards/effects you can activate during each stage of the damage step. Then, what happens to the effect if an effect that would prevent the monster from being destroy by battle is chained to it? In other words, I think is tricky for an effect that starts a chain to "check" for an hypothetical destruction by battle of a monster and respond to it before it effectively happens. For this reason, I suggest to instead switch the condition to when the card battles, so you don't have to worry about this "would be destroyed by battle" condition/checkpoint:

If this card or a "Paleozoic" monster it points to battles: You can target 1 of your banished Traps; add it to your hand, also "Paleozoic" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle this turn.

As an extra comment, since this will have its Paleozoic materials banished, IMO it would be nice if it had some kind of Avarice effect for banished Paleozoics. That would help Paleozoics with re-stocking and for draw power they can access from the Extra Deck.

Card is fine but there are a couple of things that bug me. First, the search effect is fine and all, but it's too similar to Opabinia's, except that this is a Link2 and has a discard cost, which is not too bad in Paleozoics given their gimmick. Still, you could explore other methods for generating advantage besides cookie-cutter searching and spice things up a bit.

Other methods of generating advantage like what, exactly? Searching and setting Traps are the obly things that come to mind when talking about generating advantage in Paleozoic, or is there another way? Also, effect has been changed to "if this card battles" for ruling purposes (Thanks for that suggestion).

Other methods of generating advantage like what, exactly? Searching and setting Traps are the obly things that come to mind when talking about generating advantage in Paleozoic, or is there another way? Also, effect has been changed to "if this card battles" for ruling purposes (Thanks for that suggestion).

You could also explore Summoning Paleozoics as monsters from the GY, hand, Deck, etc. straight away, opening for Link or Xyz plays without waiting for a Trap to Summon them and, better yet, ending in the GY since they weren't Summoned by their own effects, and thus ready to be Summoned again by a Trap.

Archived