Phascinating, isn't it? (Phantaster Archetype - 7/7 cards)

Sluggaholic

I don't actually remember I used to word these blurbs, but that doesn't matter too much. This archetype is one of two, the other being "Phantaseast", which I'll be posting later. For now, these Level 3 Beasts focus on blowing up on the field, then coming back with special effects. To avoid breaking them too badly, they only activate their effects if destroyed by another Beast's effect. With that aside, here are the Phantasters, and their Spell/Trap support.

[spoiler=Monsters]

dr7PgqI.png

orukWU2.png

BWO0wS7.png

F8nQ6V6.png

ogERdzd.png

Phantaster Raiser
DARK Level 3 Beast/Effect Monster
If this card is destroyed on the field by the effect of a Beast monster: You can Special Summon this card from the GY, then you can add 1 "Phantaster" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Phantaster Raiser" once per turn. While this monster that was Special Summoned from the GY is face-up on the field, Level 3 and lower Beast monsters you control gain 300 ATK/DEF for each Beast monster you control.
ATK 1500/DEF 400

Phantaster Gelly
LIGHT Level 3 Beast/Effect Monster
If the only Beast monsters you control are Level 3 or lower: You can destroy 1 Beast monster you control, and if you do, Special Summon this card (from the hand or GY). You can only use this effect of "Phantaster Gelly" once per turn. The first time a Level 3 or lower monster(s) you control is sent to the GY during the Battle Phase while you control this card Special Summoned from the GY, Special Summon that monster(s).
ATK 900/DEF 400

Phantaster Mystic
WIND Level 3 Beast/Effect Monster
If this card is destroyed on the field by the effect of a Beast monster: You can Special Summon this card from the GY, then draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Phantaster Mystic "once per turn. The first time each Level 3 or lower monster you control battles an opponent's monster each turn while you control this card Special Summoned from the GY, reduce the opponent's monsters ATK/DEF to 0 until the End Phase.
ATK 1100/DEF 400

Phantaster Mongle
FIRE Level 3 Beast/Effect Monster
If this card on the field is destroyed by the effect of a Beast monster: You can Special Summon this card from your GY, then Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower Beast monster from your hand or GY. You can only use this effect of "Phantaster Mongle" once per turn. While this monster that was Special Summoned from the GY is face-up on the field, Level 3 and lower Beast monsters you control can attack twice per Battle Phase.
ATK 1300/DEF 400

Phantaster Hermit
WATER Level 3 Beast/Effect Monster
If the only Beast monsters you control are Level 3 or lower: You can destroy 1 Beast monster you control, and if you do, Special Summon this card (from the hand or GY). You can only use this effect of "Phantaster Hermit" once per turn. While this card Special Summoned from the GY is face-up on the field, the first time a "Phantaster" monster you control battles, return the monster it's battling to the hand.
ATK 1300/DEF 400

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Spell/Trap]

icpzfTz.png

cibMAsS.png

Phantaster Horde
Normal Spell Card
Send 1 Level 3 or lower Beast monster from your Deck to the GY. While you control exactly 4 monsters with different names that are "Phantaster" monsters (Quick Effect): You can banish this card from your GY; this turn, you cannot Summon monsters except by the effects of "Phantaster" monsters also you cannot activate other Spells this turn, also destroy cards your opponent controls up to the number of "Phantaster" monsters you control, then destroy those monsters, treating this effect as a Level 3 Beast monster's effect. If any of your destroyed monsters are Special Summoned from the GY this turn, that monster(s) original ATK is increased by 1200. You can only use 1 "Phantaster Horde" effect per turn and only once that turn.

Phantastic Duo!
Normal Trap Card
Target 1 Level 4 or lower Beast monster you control and 1 Level/Rank 4 or Link 2 or higher monster your opponent controls; Destroy those targets, treating this as a Beast monster's effect. You can banish this card from your GY; Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower "Phanta" monster from your hand or GY. You can only use 1 effect of "Phantastic Duo!" per turn, and only once that turn.

x393wz.jpg

Yeah, so that's about it. Would appreciate comments on my archetype, balance-wise or not. Have a good one, people.

No EARTH?! >:(

Writing a post about this archetype is hard, and I don't know why. I mean, as opposed to it normally being hard because I'm lazy. Anyway, the cards seem to be mostly functional in tandem with each other, and can easily pick up a decent speed but seem to be lacking their initial kickstart. You have their Spell to get one in the GY for easy searching, but I can't think of other cards that easily get Beast monsters in the GY. Not even targets for Obedience Training. There's Foolish, but that's at 1 so...

This also ties into the fact that it seems to be a one-hit wonder archetype, aiming for a massive swarm for one attack during the Battle Phase. This is implied by their effects, but also the fact that they lack staying power during your opponent's turn. However, they lack the necessary speed and easy setup that come with an OTK/Field wiping archetype. You need to have cards like Emergency Teleport in order for this to properly take off. Hermit and Gelly are musts for this purpose, but they can't drag the weight on their own! And it wouldn't be best to change the rest of the monsters to suit this, because then you would lose their individual strength you seemed to be aiming for.

Also, is there any real reason Phantaster Horde's effect is so massively...wow? I mean, the restrictions are immense, and the payoff is huge, but considering this is a GY effect for a very supportive Spell, I think something less situational (exactly 4 monsters AND they have be Phantasters!) might do there. Like a smaller version of that effect. If you do that, it only needs a "If this card was not sent to the GY this turn" and maybe HOPT on the last effect, not a Shaddoll clause on both. Hey, the Trap doesn't even need it...with the current support.

I would really suggest expanding this archetype in the near future, and what exactly were you intending with flavour, as- wait you're posting more? I hope they work in tandem with these guys a lot, and you can expand on your design intentions for flavour or something. Anywho, hyped to see Phanteasts!

• 1 month later...

EARTH, shmEARTH. Who needs it. :p

And yes, if you're wondering, their inability to use Obedience Schooled is entirely meaningful. I've been able to do pretty well with the archetype insofar with its somewhat-mediocre looking effects, though perhaps that's simply good topdecking on my end. What I've noticed, though, is that in a turn, I can pretty easily establish a strong board of Skulldeat + a Phantaster or two, with Phantastic Duo! and maybe more set to interrupt during my opponent's turn. Which, also, nets me positives when working with the other Phantasters. And, I must be mistaken on what you mean by "staying power", since all of the Phantaster's effects (sans Mongle) are applicable during both players' turns. Though, I suppose the main issue is these cards not being attacked into, and instead, perhaps being popped by the opponent before they can use said effects. Going first, anyhow. As far as lacking the ability or power to OTK/Field wipe, again, mentioning that field of Skulldeat + the Phantasters. Oftentimes, if I play my cards right going second, or even get lucky doing so, I can pump that field out and pretty easily OTK during the Battle Phase. Especially thanks to Mongle + Raiser + Hermit making for a strong core of bouncing cards, attacking multiple times, and getting a 900 ATK boost.

As for Horde? Well... it's for flavour, really. I've pulled that last effect off twice before, once against a pretty mediocre deck, I'll admit, but the second time at a crucial moment against a stronger one. Really, it's akin to the new Goddess of Sweet Revenge card, where, if you pull it off, you're most likely already losing, but at if you do use it, you might just guarantee your victory. That is to say, Horde's main reason for being is its Foolish Burial effect, though the amount of times that's been ashed, I'll admit, is troubling and annoying.

Also, as far as expansion goes, "Phantaster"s is finished. Outside "Phanta" support, however, most likely is not. Though, I'm already quite content with where these guys are. I'm not so content, however, with where "Phantaseast"s are, which I'm sure you'll see why when I have the time to post them.

x393wz.jpg

Regardless, thanks a ton for your advice. I'll take it into consideration when making their outside support, friend. Have a good one. @@Dova

Archived