[Striker] Weekend Contest #10

Nathanael D. Striker

C5DSAsl.png

Week 4 of 5 brings Christmas to this little game of ours. Festivity is in the air along with peace and good will towards all. To celebrate, enjoy this Christmas themed edition to the Series. And as a token of my generosity, extra time to account for Christmas festivities.

Series Standings
1. Eshai (11)

2. Jack Frost (9)

3. Azure Wolf (6)

4. Dova (3)
5. BatMed (1)
Dtwist11 (1)

[spoiler=Rules]
All YCM Rules Apply
In order to enter, just post your intention here.
Cards (and lore) may be posted within the thread when completed. Once posted, the specific card can be edited before the deadline but not replaced with another card.
Written Cards are accepted, but no pictureless cards.
The usage of Fake Types / Attributes, as well as DIVINE, Divine-Beast and Creator God is expressly forbidden.
You are expected to design a card that adheres to the current standards set by Konami (usage of the existing 24 legal Types + 6 Attributes).
While my judging is ultimately final, contestants are welcome to appeal with anything I may have missed in their card that would alter their score.
Deadline for entry/submission is December 27th at 11:59am PST.
I have the right to add rules.

[spoiler=Card Requirement]
There are three colors (well four if you listen to Elvis): red, green, and white. Here we will focus on the first two. More specifically, Spell and Trap monsters. They must be Christmas themed, and last weeks rubric will be carried over to this week to reflect the creative aspect needed for this. Merry Christmas~

[spoiler=Prizes]
1st: 5 Series Points, 10000 points, 3 Reps
2nd: 3 Series Points, 5000 points, 2 Reps
3rd: 1 Series Point, 2500 points, 1 Rep

[spoiler=Rubric]
Balance: /20

Creativity: /20

Playability: /10
Total: /50

[spoiler=Contestants]

Here's my entry!

J6Dj3Wf.jpg

Surprise Present

Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Beast-Type/LIGHT/Level 8/ATK 1000/DEF 2100) with the following effect. Once per turn, if an opponent's Monster effect is activated, negate the effect, then gain 1000 Life Points. Your opponent can pay 1000 Life Points to negate this effect.

[spoiler=I wrapped it too]Spirit of Gift Exchange

Normal Spell

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (LIGHT/Fairy-type/Level 4/ATK 1600/DEF 1000) to your opponent’s side of the field, but it cannot be used for the Summon of an Extra Deck Monster. The controller of this card can give control of it to their opponent, and if they do, they can draw 1 card. You can only control 1 ”Spirit of Gift Exchange”. 

[spoiler=A Gift From Below the Chimney]

A Gift from Below the Chimney

Continuous Trap

Activate this card by targeting 1 monster on the field: Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Level 6/Fairy) with the same ATK and DEF as the targeted monster. (This card is also still a Trap Card.) If this card is destroyed while it is treated as a monster: Take control of 1 monster your opponent controls which had the same ATK as this card on the field.

Sorry for the long delay with the grading, but I'm here.

[spoiler=Dtwist11]

"Your opponent can pay 1000 Life Points to negate this effect." Now this is something I haven't seen in a long time. I'll tell you why, because Life Points don't really matter all that much except during the late game. Solemn Judgment (bless its heart) is a good example of this idea. Though for this card, it could still be worth it. I'm going to assume its a Quick Effect (why wouldn't it be, otherwise it'd be terrible). As for the rest of the card, Level 8 Beast-Type wall. Could prove useful for Rank 8 shenanigans, if you really want to, so at least it has another use. The negation effect is pretty nifty on this, though I'm torn on whether it should stay a Soft OPT or become a Hard OPT. Monster effect negation without much of a cost doesn't seem too detrimental in this era, I'd say, Getting 1000 Life Points out of that negation is interesting, and I assume that is to keep with the gift theme? So, it's either you negate and get 1000 or your opponent negates and loses 1000. My bet is that the latter would happen more often, and with effects that would spell doom for you. So, this card wouldn't be as much of a help as you think it'd be. Still, nifty all the same.

Balance: 18/20

Creativity: 19/20

Playability: 8/10

Total: 45/50

[spoiler=Jack Frost]

A psuedo-Spell Monster? Damn son, you must really be hunting for that Series Lead. Gift it to your opponent, who can then make like an Indian Gifter and give it right back for a draw. The fact that either player can just gift and get a draw is hilarious, especially considering that it can't be used for an Extra Deck Summon. Otherwise, this card wouldn't survive that first exchange. Hmm, this card can bite the ass of whoever plays this card given that the draws can prove to be the deciding factor on who gets their strategy in motion, but still a lovely card nonetheless.

Balance: 18/20

Creativity: 20/20

Playability: 9/10

Total: 47/50

[spoiler=Azure Wolf]

Summon this by targeting opponent's boss, destroy this card immediately, take control of said boss, ???, profit. That's how I see this card going, exactly. A Change of Heart, which I must remind you is banned. Sure, it can only take a monster with the same ATK as it, but you pick that monster from the beginning. That's why you'd destroy this card immediately to guarantee the capture. Though, why you'd -1 yourself for that opportunity would depend on if you could afford the resources. Most of the time, you would. Though, why a modern day Change of Heart? A gift for yourself? And what's worse, control is permanent while Change of Heart was temporary. Oh no, no, no, no, no, no. That won't do, even the selected monster would be used for Extra Deck plays, the thought of you being able to say "nah" and keep it is too much.

Balance: 12/20

Creativity: 17/20

Playability: 9/10

Total: 38/50

Assuming no objections,

1st: Jack Frost

2nd: Dtwist11

3rd: Azure Wolf

And this would bring the Series Standings to the following:

1. Jack Frost (14)

2. Eshai (11)

3. Azure Wolf (7)

4. Dtwist11 (4)

5. Dova (3)
6. BatMed (1)

And with that, 1st can only be won by two people but 3rd sure has a fight ahead of it. 2nd still has a chance of a battle, but not much of one given the point differential between 2nd and 3rd.

Archived