[Written] Overdrive Monsters

Thomas★Zero

So Overdrive is a sub type for monsters where it acts as a Powerful once per duel ability for using any overdrive where if one monster uses overdrive you wouldn't be able to use any other monsters overdrive.

ideally overdrive will focus on ace monsters and various key/support cards that will work in a deck like the following examples.

Elemental HERO Sol Kingdom Neos

lv 8 LIGHT

Warrior/Fusion/Overdrive/Effect

"Elemental HERO Honest Neos" + 1 "HERO" Monster

Must be Fusion Summoned by shuffling the listed Fusion Materials from your hand, field or GY into your deck (you do not use "Polymerization".) Unaffected by your opponents monster effects. During the Battle Phase, this card is unaffected by your opponents Spell/Trap Cards.

Overdrive: You can activate this effect during your Battle Phase. All monsters you control can make an additional attack during your battle phase this turn, then, double this cards ATK until the End Phase this turn. This effect cannot be negated. You can only activate Overdrive once per duel.

ATK/2500 DEF/2000

Elemental HERO Sky Strider

lv 4 WIND

Warrior/Overdrive/Effect

This card can attack your opponent directly, if this card attacks using this effect, halve the battle damage dealt by this card.

Overdrive: You can Special Summon 1 "Elemental HERO" monster from your deck or GY to your side of the field, then, add 1 "Polymerization", "Fusion" Spell Card or "Change" Quick-Play Spell Card from your deck to your hand. This effect cannot be negated. You can only activate Overdrive once per duel.

ATK/1800 DEF/1200

Dark Magician of Grand Illusion

lv 7 DARK

Spellcaster/Overdrive/Effect

You can Special Summon this card from your hand by shuffling 1 "Dark Magician" from your GY into your Deck. While this card is face up on the field or in your GY, this cards name is treated as "Dark Magician".

Overdrive: Add 1 Spell Card from your deck add 1 Spell Card from your GY that list "Dark Magician" in their card text to your hand. This effect cannot be negated. You can only activate Overdrive once per duel.

ATK/2500 DEF/2100

Azure Aquo Empress

WATER

Link: DL, U, DR

Aqua/Link/Overdrive/Effect

2+ Aqua WATER Monsters

Once per turn (quick effect): you can target 1 face up card on the field, negate the targeted cards effects until the End Phase that turn.

Overdrive: When this card is Link Summoned, you can shuffle all other cards on the field and in each players hand into their decks, then, both players draw 6 cards. During the turn you activate this effect your opponent takes no battle damage except from this card. This effect cannot be negated. You can only activate Overdrive once per duel.

ATK/2600 LINK-3

Flarecaster Burst Chandra

lv 7 FIRE

Scale: 4

Pendulum: You can destroy this card, add 1 FIRE Pendulum Monster from your deck or face-up from your Extra Deck to your hand. You can only activate this effect of "Flarecaster Burst Chandra" once per turn.

Spellcaster/Pendulum/Overdrive/Effect

When this card destroys a monster as a result of Battle, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the destroyed monsters ATK.

Overdrive: You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to the number of Pendulum monsters face up in your Extra Deck x 500. This effect cannot be negated. You can only activate Overdrive once per duel.

ATK/2400 DEF/2000

Accel Android Echo Beat Rhythm

lv 7 WIND

Psychic/Synchro/Overdrive/Effect

1 Psychic Tuner Monster + 1+ Non Tuner Monster(s)

When this card is Synchro Summoned, inflict 700 points of damage to your opponent. If this card destroys an opponents monster as a result of battle, this card gains an additional attack during the Battle Phase this turn.

Overdrive: You can negate the effects of all face up cards on your opponents side of the field and your opponent cannot activate set cards until the End Phase this turn. Your This effect cannot be negated. You can only activate Overdrive once per turn.

ATK/2400 DEF/2100

The Returning Avatar of the Pot

lv 3 EARTH

Rock/Overdrive/Effect

You can discard 1 "Pot" Spell Card from your hand, draw 2 card. You can only activate this effect of "The Returning Avatar of the Pot" once per turn.

Overdrive: You can tribute this Normal Summoned card; draw 2 cards. This effect cannot be negated. You can only activate Overdrive once per duel.

ATK/1200 DEF/1300

Since I learned a bit about Future Card Buddyfight, this sounds a lot like some cards’ Overturns.

So, the Overdrive ability. From what I can see, this is a very special kind of effect. Therefore, is it a monster effect that activates and starts a chain?

I like this idea. The ability to do something powerful only once per Duel is something I was metally playing with, but you had it in the bag. It can make for game-changers, and surprising your opponent with a turnaround. On the other hand, however, it can give certain archetypes a super broken card to play with, so could you please make some more generic Overdrive monsters because some players might play undersupported archetypes and do not have an extremely powerful Archetype Overdrive?

If archetypal overdrives are stronger than generics, then these meta archetypes with Overdrive reach a whole new level of unbeatable.

Since I learned a bit about Future Card Buddyfight, this sounds a lot like some cards’ Overturns.

So, the Overdrive ability. From what I can see, this is a very special kind of effect. Therefore, is it a monster effect that activates and starts a chain?

I like this idea. The ability to do something powerful only once per Duel is something I was metally playing with, but you had it in the bag. It can make for game-changers, and surprising your opponent with a turnaround. On the other hand, however, it can give certain archetypes a super broken card to play with, so could you please make some more generic Overdrive monsters because some players might play undersupported archetypes and do not have an extremely powerful Archetype Overdrive?

If archetypal overdrives are stronger than generics, then these meta archetypes with Overdrive reach a whole new level of unbeatable.

Considering the whole archetype Overdrives in terms of generics I did example 2 different HERO Monsters with overdrive for what you had an option for along with The Returning Avatar of the Pot as well as a generic card with Overdrive. Also in terms of chaining I guess it would start a chain if you have cards that can activate around it though those cards wouldn't be able to negate the Overdrive effect.

Ok, I made a card myself.

Plankton the Machine Racer

Machine/Overdrive/Effect

WATER/Level 6

Once per turn, you can target 1 Machine monster on the field: It gains 200 ATK for every Machine monster currently on the field, until the End Phase.

OVERDRIVE: Tribute this card, then target 1 Machine monster on the field: Double its original ATK until the End Phase. This effect cannot be negated. You can only activate Overdrive once per Duel.

ATK/2300.       DEF/1700

YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME MR. KRABS, NOT WHEN I SHIFT INTO MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE!

Since I already offered my thoughts on this mechanic, I have some questions.

Are Overdrives Quick Effects that can be used at absolutely any time?

How powerful would an Overdrive have to be before being considered broken?

Ok, I made a card myself.

Plankton the Machine Racer

Machine/Overdrive/Effect

WATER/Level 6

Once per turn, you can target 1 Machine monster on the field: It gains 200 ATK for every Machine monster currently on the field, until the End Phase.

OVERDRIVE: Tribute this card, then target 1 Machine monster on the field: Double its original ATK until the End Phase. This effect cannot be negated. You can only activate Overdrive once per Duel.

ATK/2300.       DEF/1700

YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME MR. KRABS, NOT WHEN I SHIFT INTO MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE!

Since I already offered my thoughts on this mechanic, I have some questions.

Are Overdrives Quick Effects that can be used at absolutely any time?

How powerful would an Overdrive have to be before being considered broken?

I like the reference with the card XD

I guess Overdrives would need (Quick Effect) in them for the whole means of quick effects. Also I guess it would more so likely be something that's an auto win duel or puts your opponent at no resources while preventing them to draw and that monster can attack the turn the overdrives used while being at no cost.

Archived