[400 Reps] Card Trooper

card_trooper.jpg

Once per turn: You can choose a number from 1 to 3, then send that many cards from the top of your Deck to the GY; this card gains 500 ATK for each card sent to the GY this way, until the end of this turn. If this card you control is destroyed and sent to your GY: Draw 1 card.

So I hit 400 reps so I decided to make a milestone topic based on card trooper recalling how this one format was at 3 and you had Machine Duplication where you had this as a Dupe Troop.

Still in todays game its semi limited and might have use with things like Lightsworn since it can mill 3 to become a 1900 beat stick and draw you 1 when its destroyed.

I remember the days of Troop, Dupe, Scoop. That was certainly a different metagame . . .

On Card Trooper itself, it was an easily-accessible 1900 beater for a lot of Decks that couldn't muster one up on Turn 1. It was also unfairly good Graveyard support at the time it was released, usually used in things like Zombies and Chaos Dragons.

Even nowadays, a lot of Decks love their Graveyard support . . . but most don't have room for the old trooper, due to more efficient setup means existing. It could definitely be a solid card in a Deck that needs it, but I can't think of anything that wants it at the moment.

11,400 ATK on a +0 combo doesn't sound terribly overpowered right about now (Machine Dupe, Limiter Removal, this, and draw 3 during the End Phase).

The mill can be pretty good but it is always somewhat hard to come to terms with the unreliability of it.

The motto there is the same Lightsworn users had back in the day: "If it's not in my hand or field, it won't affect me negatively by milling it sooooo".

It is pretty much a Pot of Desires level mill there. You better draw Battle Faders or something along those lines if such a play happens heh.

In any way, this should be at 3 IMO. OTK through battle like this is not a banworthy argument, it's the norm in terms of offensive at this point.

Archived