Pokemon: Mind and Soul [IC/PG-13/Not Accepting]

"It's impressive, yes, Pokemon Contests aren't my area of expertise. I always found it...unusual to make certain Pokemon perform. When their nature is often to use their attacks in battles, transportation, or for survival, but it does seem to suit the Popplio line at least."

Genny raised her eyebrow at the professor, giving her a smile. When she felt comfortable that her companions were too invested in their own responses, she narrowed her eyes to match the woman before her, making sure to maintain her smile despite the hard gaze.

"Ah, I do not believe I ever said I participated in contests... I thought it was fairly common for a trainer to engage their Pokemon's natural tendencies."

"now are you both ready to adventure! Some more." 

"Let's get goin'. Gotta get a buddy for my bud."

"Yes, I suppose we should be going... We would not wish to disturb the kind professor any more than we already have, non?"

Following her companions out of the lab, Genny shot one last gaze back at the professor, scowling. She didn't come to this area to be judged out the gate, and the professor's attitude left something to be desired, in her eyes. What kind of person in her field wouldn't even have time to help out starting trainers. Stepping forward and out of her thoughts, she placed Etoile on her head, giving the baby pokemon a bird's eye view of the town as they walked.

"Where to next, mes amies?"

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sXIqNHS.png

With the agreement of both of her companions, Jacklyn said, "then we're off!" Giving her pokedex a quick hug before pocketing it, the girl then pulled out a map of the region. Placing her finger on their current location, she said, "well, let's see. We're here. Which means our next destination is Islebury," she traced her finger to the cities location, "right here. Which means in order to get to where we need to go we need to cross Route 102. So, that's where we're off to next!" Rolling the map back up, the girl put it in her pocket as she lead the group on to their next destination. 

Route 102 was different in shape then the one they had just taken to get here. Where as that was merely a flat plain with a simple straight forward path that cut through the grass, this was more on the curved side. As the road continued to wind back and forth, moving around the grass rather than through it, the road had a much more twisted shape to it. This was no more true than at the center of the route, where it all lead up to a stone statue sitting in a more marshy area. 

As the group made their way on the road, Jacklyn took in a deep breath saying, "ah, the smell of the great outdoors." She nodded to herself, before her attention was drawn to the sight of the statue. Eyes lighting up, the girl turned to the other party members saying, "look at that over there guys! It's so statue-esque. Wanna go check it out? Wanna go, wanna go?" The girl seemed to be very eager to get back on the adventuring scene.

Off to the side, there was a young couple that didn't seem to be minding the trio. The girl of the couple said, "man, can you believe them, spoiling our date like that." 

"It wasn't a date," the boy muttered, exasperated. 

"I'm sure our next DATE will be way better." 

[spoiler=Route 102]

Note: If trainer teams not specified leave it to the Player to decide as long as it’s not too far out there.
Note2: Encounters are just a basis and the most common Pokemon found; if Players want a specific Pokemon that fits there they can ask.

Trainers: Several Youngsters and Lasses with common Pokemon.
Encounters: Grass. Hoppip, 15%. Bellsprout, 15%. Rattata, 25%. Patrat, 10%. Starly, 20%. Bounsweet, 15%.
Marsh/Statue. Poliwag, 35%. Inkay, 25%. Ducklett, 10%. Bidoof, 30%.

OCO5E4E.png

It didn't take long for the group to get back onto the road, hitting up another route. Po followed eagerly behind Ivan as he took steps forward, taking in the air. Jacklyn seemed extremely eager to get near the statue. Ivan sighed. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it out, right?" Ivan said, shrugging as the girl seemed to cheer at the idea of hitting the road again. He started making his way near the statue. 

His path, however, was blocked off by a Bellsprout. A rather angry looking Bellsprout, Ivan noted, although it was still rather goofy looking despite it's best efforts to look intimidated. He wasn't sure what the Pokemon's deal was, but it seemed determined to not let him pass to the statue as it continued to block the boy's path even after he tried walking around it. Ivan let out an annoyed sigh, the thought of simply punting the Pokemon out of his way. "Well, I do need to get some training in." He said, glaring at the Bellsprout. "Alright, sure. Po, Tackle it!" Ivan said, pointing at it. 

The panda nodded, tossing it's body at the Bellsprout, which caught the plant off guard. However, it quickly retaliated with a Vine Whip, slapping Po across the face and tossing it off of it. Ivan growled. "Alright Po, Leer!" Ivan commanded, the panda nodded before giving the Bellsprout a rather nasty glare. While it was clearly shook by the glare, it wasn't deterred from attacking, as another Vine Whip slapped Po across the face. "Po, Tackle!" Ivan commanded, the panda quickly retaliating the attack with a Tackle. This time it seemed to have smashed the Bellsprout with a Critical Hit as it sent the Grass Pokemon flying. It seemed to be knocked out by the attack. Proud of himself, Ivan continued walking forward.

However, the boy stopped when he saw the Bellsprout trying to get back up. It was clearly not fit to battle, and yet, it seemed to want to keep on fighting. Po's eyes were locked onto the Bellsprout, ready to Tackle it one last time upon Ivan's command. Ivan, however, didn't say anything, instead just watching the Bellsprout slowly get up. He was honestly surprised, and impressed, and was ready to command Po to finish him when he remembered what the Professor had told him. "A sparring partner, huh?" He thought to himself, reaching into his bag. Ivan tossed a Pokeball at the Bellsprout, which was greeted by the Bellsprout Vine Whipping it out of the air. However, it had lost its balance swatting the ball away, falling back onto the ground.

Again, Ivan tossed another Pokeball at the Bellsprout, this time the ball hitting the Grass-type. The ball rocked back and forth, rather violently, and seemed to almost break open. However, it eventually stopped, clicking loudly. Ivan walked up to the Pokeball, picking up the ball. "This one's a fighter. I like it." He said to himself, tossing the ball up and down. Po walked up to Ivan, both confused and excited about what had just happened. He turned to the others. "I wonder what I should name them... actually, I don't even know if its a boy or a girl now that I think about it..." Ivan said, scratching his cheek. Despite how excited he was about his capture, he held his calm demeanor. Po, on the other hand, was not trying to mask his excitement as the panda jumped up and down, fist pumping the air in celebration of his new sparing partner. 

hxJ6EEI.png

Poké: 1440

The other girl's glare was something Kanon didn't want to get used to. It was a demanding and haughty look, which made sense, since so far the girl behind it had been pretty demanding and haughty herself. Why did Oswald offer for her to sit with them in the first place? As she snapped her order at the waiter - Kanon felt a bit sorry that he had to take her of all people as a customer - Kanon followed up with her own. Feebas biscuits. Tasty.

"Hey...I don't think what she did was called for...but maybe if you apologize we can get on the right foot!  Maybe she can tell us where the fishing guru is after the food!"

"Apologizing to someone who's in the wrong sounds stupid," Kanon whispered back. "Besides, I don't think she's from around here; she was complaining about the fish smell too. No way she'd know where the fishing guru is, whoever he is."

Kanon wasn't sure why Oswald was looking for a fishing guru, but she imagined that - as the title implied - it had something to do with fishing. And Oswald, ever one to try and turn this situation away from a sour one, was giving this snobbish brat an awfully polite and friendly introduction.

"I don't think we've introduced ourselves! My name is Oswald, and this girl clad in rain gear is Kanon. The drowzee wannabe is Naomi. We're trainers from different regions, come to take on what Korova has in store. And you are?"

"I am Alicia, a name that you'll soon learn to obey. You've come to this region at the wrong time, sadly, especially if you plan on becoming Champion. But I suppose if you really want to explore this pathetic region then I won't stop you. But you might want to ditch that one, she seems positively useless."

Being Champion certainly was the intent here. On paper anyway. Only one person in this group - any group for that matter - could be Champion, right? If someone like Oswald wanted it when the time came, he could have it. Kanon wouldn't want to have to deal with all the ambitious challengers anyway. The bit about Nomi though, particularly caught Kanon's attention. As much as she wanted to agree with that sentiment and say Alicia was right about something for once, there were two core factors preventing it.

First and foremost, Kanon still hated this girl's guts based on the very small amount of time she'd known Alicia even existed.

Secondly, her tone and the way she phrased things was just shitty.

"Why d'I gotta be useful?"

"Hmph, because useless people like you just clog everything up. The worst kind of person is one who doesn't get results."

"I dun get it. D'ya get it?"

Shortly after, food arrived. Including the Feebas biscuits! There were five on Kanon's plate, just the right amount for a full meal's worth. She still wasn't quite hungry enough for an entire meal, but if it was for the biscuits, Kanon was certain she could make room in her stomach. She picked up the first biscuit, laid neatly atop the other four that had been put in a square-like formation, and answered Nomi's question with a firm "She's saying you aren't perfect enough for her little world that only cares about results. Which should make you not even worth commenting about, but she felt she had to do it anyway, and pretty rudely at that."

Kanon then took a big bite into her first Feebas biscuit. The food crunched between her teeth, and the silky near-liquid meat inside spread across her taste buds. Kanon didn't realize just how much she'd missed these until just now. She certainly seemed happy with the food, judging by the look on her face.

ZIVztwp.png

DoXqK9s.png

"I am Alicia, a name that you'll soon learn to obey. You've come to this region at the wrong time, sadly, especially if you plan on becoming Champion. But I suppose if you really want to explore this pathetic region then I won't stop you. But you might want to ditch that one, she seems positively useless."

Oswald gave off a nervous laugh.  The girl was rather uppity, and frightfully full of herself.  Was she planning on becoming a Pokemon champion as well?  Not to mention, the fact that she had said something so unusually cruel about one of his teammates...it struck a nerve for a moment, prompting Oswald's eyebrow to twitch.  

"Why d'I gotta be useful?"

"Hmph, because useless people like you just clog everything up. The worst kind of person is one who doesn't get results."

"I dun get it. D'ya get it?"

"She's saying you aren't perfect enough for her little world that only cares about results. Which should make you not even worth commenting about, but she felt she had to do it anyway, and pretty rudely at that."

"Don't worry, Naomi.  We wouldn't ditch you."  Oswald said, eyeing the food as it neared the table.  "You'd be completely lost in this region without us.  It would be a crime to leave you all by your lonesome.  Not that Princess wouldn't take care of you in that time."  Had he been running the scenarios through his head the whole time?  "What I'm saying is we aren't going anywhere without you!"  Oswald smiled, and then turned to the food that was set at the table.  Three Corsola rolls were set before him, as he picked up a fork to dig in.  When he finished one roll, he turned to Kanon and Alicia, wiping his mouth with a napkin to dispatch of any rice.  "You know, if you want to settle this dispute, I doubt a battle wouldn't hurt between you two.  Maybe you could be friends after?"  That's how battling worked, right?  You just battled people to maybe get an inkling of what the other person is like, and then come to an agreement in the end.  "If it comes to that, sorry Alicia, I'll be rooting for Kanon."  He laughed, as he went back to eating again.  

ZA2NV7M.png

"She's saying you aren't perfect enough for her little world that only cares about results. Which should make you not even worth commenting about, but she felt she had to do it anyway, and pretty rudely at that."

Naomi nodded absently, watching as her, heavily covered in whipped cream, food made its way to her. "Was she being rude? I Didn'otice." the girl said as she began to size up the treat that was now in front of her.

"Hmph." Alicia said. "Of course I had to comment. No one is going to improve without being told what to do." She glared again at Kanon. "Like you with that rubber nonsense."

"Don't worry, Naomi.  We wouldn't ditch you."

Naomi thought about that for a bit, tapping her spoon on her chin and getting whipped cream on it. Then she shrugged. "I don't really mind." She said dreamily, poking at her food with the spoon once more. "If ya gotta go ya gotta go."

"You know, if you want to settle this dispute, I doubt a battle wouldn't hurt between you two.  Maybe you could be friends after?"

"Friends? Her? Why would I waste my time with such a brutish friend? And no, I don't think I will battle. I told you I have something to do after this and it can't wait for someone like her." She then muttered under her breath. "As long as that stupid old man in that ridiculous tent by the docks doesn't hassle me about fishing poles again."

The group had left the small town quickly after that, removing the lingering dread that Genny felt. Equilibrium was restored as Jacklyn hurried forward... and Ivan began to pick a fight with a small plant. Genny giggled at the sight of a panda trying to fight a Bellsprout, quickly placing Etoile on the ground as the battle continued.

"Alright, mon papillon, let's cheer them on!"

Clapping her hands together, her Popplio in sync, the two began to cheer, but only for Po. Genny knew full well that cheering for someone like Ivan would only fluster him. With a louder clap, Etoile made a balloon and popped it as the battle ended, the Bellsprout captured.

"Tres bien, Po! You two made a new friend!"

"Bwark!"

"Deeeeeew!"

Startled, Genny looked to her left to find a Budew next to her, clapping its small rosebud hands together in time with what the performer and her partner had been doing. Kneeling down next to it with a smile on her face, she rubbed its small head.

"Oh my, did you like our little show that much?"

The Budew nodded happily, clapping its buds more. With a slight giggle, Genny pulled a ball out of her bag as Etoile hopped over.

"Well then, would you like to come along and help me out? I'll make you tres beau!"

"Deeew!"

Gently touching the ball to the Budew's head, it popped in, quickly rocking three times with no event. With the final click, Genny picked up the ball, beaming at the new performer in her repetoire.

"For a baby Roserade... I think the name Fléaur is parfait! Don't you think, Ivan?"

hxJ6EEI.png

Poké: 1440

"Hmph. Of course I had to comment. No one is going to improve without being told what to do. Like you with that rubber nonsense."

This Alicia girl was really getting on Kanon's nerves. Between her uppity attitude, lack of consideration for how others may feel about her words (she was lucky her first target was Nomi of all people, who probably wouldn't notice Arceus himself standing in front of her), and now targeting Kanon's fashion sense as if there was no better way to try and make a comeback. This felt familiar. That girl from when Kanon had first gotten to Korova said something about clothes too, but it was way less condescending. "Maybe it's not fashionable enough for your liking," Kanon sharply started, "but let's say we're out for a walk and suddenly it starts raining. But oh no, nobody predicted rain so you left your umbrella at home. I'll be keeping dry with my 'rubber nonsense', while you get your precious hair and expensive clothes all wet. It's practical, and pretty common where I'm from. Who needs to improve now?"

"You know, if you want to settle this dispute, I doubt a battle wouldn't hurt between you two.  Maybe you could be friends after?"

"Friends? Her?" Kanon started, at the same time as Alicia, much to her own dismay. Kanon promptly stopped talking for a bit, but that unfortunately meant Alicia could continue running her mouth.

"Why would I waste my time with such a brutish friend? And no, I don't think I will battle. I told you I have something to do after this and it can't wait for someone like her."

"I don't want to battle either," Kanon said. "The sooner I get her out of my hair, the better, and I still have to get back to the laundromat after we're done eating." With that, Kanon took another bite from her first Feebas biscuit. Most of the first biscuit was gone by now, and Kanon drank the remaining smooth interior from the tough and crusty outside like it was some sort of drink, before setting the empty remainder down and continuing "I used to read a lot of storybooks as a kid where trainers became friends after battling, but I don't think that always works in real life. Least of all with her type."

OCO5E4E.png

After having thought about it for a bit, Ivan decided that he was going to call his new partner Root. It wasn't the most creative name, he thought to himself, but it was the one he chose. He wasn't too sure how to feel about not getting any cheers from the sideline. On one hand, he would have loved to get someone cheering his name, but on the other it would have probably thrown him off. In fact, the cheering for Po had almost thrown him off.

Po, meanwhile, despite being covered in bruises and whip marks was loving the attention, pumping his fist up like he was the king of the world, even bowing at Genny and Etoile. And a newcomer. Both Ivan and Po turned to see the small Budew that had joined them, the small seed cheering on alongside the two. "Look's like you two got a fan." Ivan remarked, returning Po back to his Pokeball to rest up a bit. 

"For a baby Roserade... I think the name Fléaur is parfait! Don't you think, Ivan?"

Ivan simply shrugged. "I'm not quite sure what that means, but it sounds like flower. That seems pretty fitting for a Pokemon that uh... flowery" Ivan said, trying not to blush at the fact that he wasn't the best wordsmith around. "So I guess we've all got a second Pokemon with us. That's pretty neat."

Ivan simply shrugged. "I'm not quite sure what that means, but it sounds like flower. That seems pretty fitting for a Pokemon that uh... flowery" Ivan spoke with a small stutter, earning a giggle from Genny. "So I guess we've all got a second Pokemon with us. That's pretty neat."

"Oui, it would seem so! Etoile, cherie, would you mind waiting in your ball for a bit? Maman would like to let Fléaur spend some time out."

With an obedient bwark, Etoile gave a bow before she was returned to her ball, quickly replaced by the budding flower. With a gentle motion, Genny picked the pokemon up, hugging it at its base so that it was against her chest, possibly like a trainer would hold its young Togepi.

"Bonjour, my little rose!" She giggled as the pokemon happily cooed in her arms, "This is monsieur Ivan, and the pokemon he used earlier was named Po. We'll be travelling with them as well as..."

Genny looked about for Jackie, a confused expression on her face.

"Well, I suppose she ran ahead... However, it is not a shock. Vrai, Ivan?"

ZIVztwp.png

DoXqK9s.png

"I don't really mind.  f ya gotta go ya gotta go."

"That's the spiri-EHHH?!"  Oswald looked at Naomi with his jaw wide open.  "I have a solemn duty to travel with you as your companion!  I'll take you through this entire region on my back if I have to!  You have no choice in the matter Naomi!"  Oswald then took an aggressive bite of his sushi, which had been drowned in soy sauce.  

"Friends? Her? Why would I waste my time with such a brutish friend? And no, I don't think I will battle. I told you I have something to do after this and it can't wait for someone like her." She then muttered under her breath"As long as that stupid old man in that ridiculous tent by the docks doesn't hassle me about fishing poles again."

He was glad that he had heard the muttering, because a wave of relief finally hit him.

"So that's where he is...jeez he was harder to track down than I thought.  I gotta improve my investigative ski-...I mean info gathering.  Yes.  Info gathering.  Or else we'll never be able to find stuff without relying on coincidences!"  

"I don't want to battle either," Kanon said. "The sooner I get her out of my hair, the better, and I still have to get back to the laundromat after we're done eating."

"What a shame...I was hoping to sit on the sidelines during one for a change."  He shrugged.  "I'll be heading to the docks after.  So we'll meet back up in front of this place when we head out!"    Kanon continued, as Oswald leaned in closer.  

"I used to read a lot of storybooks as a kid where trainers became friends after battling, but I don't think that always works in real life. Least of all with her type."

"Don't be so quick to assume.  You know that whole thing about how opposites attract."  Oswald winked, snickering after he did.  "You're lucky I have to deal with your types at all."  With that, Oswald ate his last roll, before getting up from the table.  "Thanks for that Kanon, it was delicious!  We better finish up what we need to do here and move on."  He then turned to Alicia, scratching his head.  "Sorry about all the trouble, but don't go causing any more nonsense around here," he clapped his hands together in front of his face, "Please!  And If we meet again, I'm sure it'll be on better terms!"  Oswald then walked passed Naomi, grabbing the back of her clothe's collar as he did so.  "You're comin' with me little lady."  He said, as he dragged her towards the docks.

ZA2NV7M.png

Naomi gave Oswald a blank stare as he made his declaration. "W'ever floats yer boat." She said with a smile. She then went back to her food, shoveling large portions into her mouth as it slowly but surely shrank in size.

Alicia turned her nose up at the group as she stood up. "I am perfectly fine being 'out of' your hair'. Which, for the record, is also rather...trashy." She spun and tossed her own hair before walking out of the building. "If we meet again you'll regret being so rude to me." She stated ominously as she stepped out the door.

Naomi was surprised as Oswald suddenly began dragging her out the door. Though she didn't particularly seem bothered by this, either. In fact the main issue came because she was still holding onto her plate of food on the way out and the waiter had to stop them in order to give her a Styrofoam box to take instead.

Which she held open all the way down to the docks and, once finished, let it fall to the ground without a second thought.

They would be able to find the old man's home within a few minutes of arriving at the docks and, as luck would have it, he was leaving the building carrying a fishing pole as they walked up.

He was short, with bushy eyebrows and a long, thin, beard which curled in multiple different directions. "Eh? What's this? Do I got visitors? Perhaps you're wanting to learn about fishing from this old coot?" He then laughed a wheezy laugh for a full thirty seconds.

Kanon, if she had followed Oswald, would have been stopped briefly by the staff who would inform her she had to pay the bill...Including Alicia's own, as she hadn't paid before walking off.

sXIqNHS.png

To the surprise of no one, Jacklyn had blazed ahead on the trail to the road, not realizing that her team members were caught up in their own business. Having sent out her newly acquired Buneary, figuring the young bunny pokemon could use some exercise she pointed to the statue ahead. "Hey Cherry, you know what that is over there?" 

"Bu?" Cherry looked to Jacklyn, then to the statue, staring at it for a moment before looking back to the girl and shaking her head. She then looked curious at her trainer, as if expecting the answer from them.

With a bright smile on her face, the girl said, "well, neither do I! And since you're new to this whole adventuring thing, I'll let you in on something crucial about it." The Buneary seemed even more curious now. "When you see something weird in the distance, the only choice you have is to go towards it! So, let's go Cherry!" 

"Bu!" Following her trainer along with equal enthusiasm, both Cherry and Jacklyn made their way down the route until they finally made it to the statue.

As they got closer, however, the Buneary was finding it harder to hop alongside her trainer as the ground gave way to more marshy terrain. Seeing this, Jacklyn said, "come on Cherry, hop aboard and leave this to me! This marsh has nothing on the sewers of Castelia!" Following her trainer's suggestion, Cherry hopped aboard into Jacklyn's hood, only for the girl to begin making her way towards the statue. It was an odd sight to say the least. It was far larger then the girl was expecting, the stone statue being at an angle sinking into the marsh itself. While it seemed to depict a squid, that was only a rough comparison as the true form and shape of it seemed to be a bit different then what one might expect. Wanting to examine it further, the girl begin to move closer to the statue to get a closer look. 

hxJ6EEI.png

Poké: 1440 1340

"Don't be so quick to assume. You know that whole thing about how opposites attract. You're lucky I have to deal with your types at all."

Kanon was going to ask just what "her type" entailed, but didn't have much opportunity. She took to the next biscuit, and the others as well, but by the time she had finished, distracted by their delectable taste and mixed textures, Oswald was already gone. And so was Nomi. And, thankfully, Alicia had left too. Kanon was pretty sure she'd heard the stuck-up brat say something about her hair, but Kanon didn't care to think hard enough to figure out just what Alicia of all people had said to her. However, something else now occurred to her. She was the only one left at this table. All the food was gone.

She would have to pay the bill. Which, to be fair, Kanon did say she'd cover. It was 100 Poke for the food - pretty decent price - and Kanon was soon on her feet, out of the restaurant, and on her way back to the laundromat. Her clothes should have been ready by now. The walk wasn't far, and Kanon was there before long. She went over to the dryer where she'd left her clothes, and pulled them out, content to see they were perfectly dry. Now it was just a matter of getting them back on. Kanon glanced around, finding that not only did the laundromat have a bathroom, but it was currently vacant.

Perfect.

And then I need to go find Oswald and Nomi.

ZIVztwp.png

DoXqK9s.png

On their way to the Fisherman's location, Oswald could hear the soft sound of Styrofoam against ground.  He looked back to see that Naomi had dropped her leftover's box, and had no further intentions to pick it up.  Oswald's eyebrow twitched, as he stopped dragging her for a bit, went to the box, and picked it up.  He then found the nearest trash can to ditch the box.  Making his way back to the girl, he lightly chopped her on the head.  

"No littering."  He said rather firmly, then tugged back on her collar to continue walking.  They soon arrived at the docks and Oswald could see the Guru from a mile away.  His fishing pole was large, and so were his eyebrows.

"Eh? What's this? Do I got visitors? Perhaps you're wanting to learn about fishing from this old coot?" He then laughed a wheezy laugh for a full thirty seconds.

"It is quite the useful skill, isn't it?!  Whether that be for catching fish to battle...or other reasons."  Oswald bowed before the man, and outstretched his hand, all the while still tagging onto Naomi.  "My name is Oswald, and I wish to learn the ways of the fishing rod!"   

ZA2NV7M.png

Naomi looked over at Oswald, uncertainty on her face. "...What's littering?" She asked.

It seemed like the boy wanted to talk to some old man about fishing. That was the thing where a person held a stick with a string and tried to get fish, right? It seemed like something that might be nice. Just sitting there, calmly, waiting, waiting, waiting.

With a thump Naomi fell onto the ground, asleep.

"My name is Oswald, and I wish to learn the ways of the fishing rod!"  

The old man laughed a wheezy laugh again. "Good, good, younguns these days don't have the patience it takes to learn the art of fishing." He gestured at the rod over his shoulder. "This here is a Super Rod. It can catch any kind of Pokemon that live in the water! They take much time to make and I'm the only one here that can make them. And that is what the prize for the fishing competition is! Most people have to make due with Good Rods or Old Rods but with one of these you can become king of the seas!"

He nodded again. "The thing you need to know about fishing is it takes much time to master. You see a long time ago, over a thousand years in fact..."

one hour later

"And as you can see fishing has a rich history and complex method of mastering indeed! Now...do you want to give it a try?" He had at some point during the story gotten a different rod from his house. Much less impressive looking, and rather Old, but still serviceable. He handed that over to Oswald as he finished speaking.

OCO5E4E.png

Ivan watched as Genny swapped out between Etoile and Fléaur, holding the small bud between her arms. "This is monsieur Ivan, and the pokemon he used earlier was named Po." Ivan sheepishly waved at the Bedew, Po putting more effort into his greeting. "We'll be travelling with them as well as..." It was then that the duo had noted that Jacklyn had, for lack of better words, ditched them in favor of continuing her pursue for the marsh. "Well, I suppose she ran ahead... However, it is not a shock. Vrai, Ivan?"

Ivan simply sighed, shaking his head. "I wish it were a surprise..." He started making his way towards the excitable girl, gesturing Genny to follow. "Let's get to her before she gets into trouble..."

When Ivan had got there, the girl was already at the statue, pretty deep into the marsh. The murky liquids below reached up to about her ankles, which was a good sign that the marsh wasn't that deep. Still, it was a marsh; it could suddenly get deeper... like around the statue. "Oh boy..." Ivan muttered to himself, offering to pick up Po, who happily grabbed onto his arm and climbed to his shoulder. He turned around to Genny, who probably had no intention on waddling through the marsh with him. "Well... unless ya don't mind getting a bit dirty, it seems like I'll have to leave you behind for a bit..." He said, returning Po back into his Pokeball. 

ZIVztwp.png

DoXqK9s.png

"Good, good, younguns these days don't have the patience it takes to learn the art of fishing." He gestured at the rod over his shoulder. "This here is a Super Rod. It can catch any kind of Pokemon that live in the water! They take much time to make and I'm the only one here that can make them. And that is what the prize for the fishing competition is! Most people have to make due with Good Rods or Old Rods but with one of these you can become king of the seas!"

Oswald stared at the rod with intrigue in his eyes.  Such a majestic device used to capture anything and everything!  And it was up for grabs!

"The thing you need to know about fishing is it takes much time to master. You see a long time ago, over a thousand years in fact..."

For an hour, Oswald stood at attention, learning the complete history of fishing.

"And as you can see fishing has a rich history and complex method of mastering indeed! Now...do you want to give it a try?"

The guru had retrieved a rod from his house, which looked a tad tarnished.  However, he was giving Oswald a chance to show what he had gathered from the Guru's story.  Oswald nodded, as he gripped the rod with both hands, and bringing it close to his chest.  He turned to the docks, and looked for a pretty good spot to cast his rod.  Once he found a good spot, he threw the rod behind his head, and then whipped it back in an instant to the front.  He let his hook fly through the air, as it plopped softly into the water.  There, he waited for a while, before turning back to the Guru. 

"Like that?"

hxJ6EEI.png

Poké: 1340

It felt good to be wearing clothes under her raincoat again. Once Kanon was properly dressed again, it came time to find Nomi and Oswald. It had taken some searching - as in, an entire hour of searching - but there weren't really many places left where the two could have been in Islesbury Town unless they'd decided to ditch her. Given Oswald had said in the restaurant that he'd never ditch Nomi, it stood to reason he wouldn't ditch Kanon either, right? As she checked around in the last place in town that she hadn't checked - the docks - she finally caught sight of them. Nomi was sleeping on the ground. Why was this not surprising?

Oswald, however, was a bit more surprising. He was fishing. And there was some old guy with them. Teaching him, maybe? Kanon walked up to the group, and said "There you are. I didn't know you could fish, Oswald."

ZA2NV7M.png

"Like that?"

"Ahh that's how it goes, it looks like you listened well, young man. Not many do these days...especially not that loud girl who came earlier asking for the Super Rod. But, it's just a start. You must be patient before you can truly understand the art. But perhaps...you might have a chance to win the competition. It should be starting not long from now, so I should be getting to the judging table to help set up....Oh what's this?"

That was when Kanon came in and spoke to the young Oswald. "Oh, are you interested in fishing too?" The old man said, eyes glinting as he stepped forward. "Do you want to hear of the history like your friend did?" He seemed ready to go into another spiel if no one stopped him.

Around them people started to gather to head down to the docks where a simple stand was being put up near the water. Marked as the sign up booth for the fishing competition. Some people were heading there but many more were simply standing around the outskirts, waiting for the competition to begin.

Fléaur waved back to Po, happily crying out to greet the panda, before the duo managed to approach the marsh. Genny groaned at the sight, hugging the rose tighter to her chest as Ivan spoke. On one hand, the idea of entering that gunk was loathesome... but on the other, she wanted to have the real trainer experience.

"Sacré bleu," The performer muttered as she returned the Budew to its ball, shaking her head. "Non, non, I will come along... Getting seperated does not seem like the best idea."

Genny held a stiff upper lip as they marched through the swampy land, but if anyone were to look at her, she was shuddering rather cartoonishly at her disomfort. The boots she wore were enough to keep her from getting the muck on her skin, but the squishing was wearing on her more and more with each step. When they happened upon Jacklyn, a sense of relief washed over her, glad to have found her ticket to getting out of this mess.

"Ah, Jacklyn! Come along, we must push on through this marsh, maintenant!" She began, but looked around the girl to the sinking statue. "Eh? What have you found? Some kind of... calamar?"

ZIVztwp.png

DoXqK9s.png

"Ahh that's how it goes, it looks like you listened well, young man. Not many do these days...especially not that loud girl who came earlier asking for the Super Rod. But, it's just a start. You must be patient before you can truly understand the art. But perhaps...you might have a chance to win the competition. It should be starting not long from now, so I should be getting to the judging table to help set up....Oh what's this?"

"There you are. I didn't know you could fish, Oswald."

He turned around to see Kanon approaching.  He waved back, still holding the rod steadily with his other hand.  

"You know, you could learn how to too if you wanted!  It's not too hard.  Are all your clothes clean?" 

"Oh, are you interested in fishing too?  Do you want to hear of the history like your friend did?"  The guru seemed to get ready to go on another long history lesson.  However, Oswald wasn't ready to hear that whole lesson once again.  

"Let's hold off on that!  After all, you have a competition to judge!  Don't wanna be late for that, right?  I can pass down the lesson for you!"  Oswald wiped his brow, figuring the whole group had just dodged a bullet.  Seeing that he wasn't getting a bite, he reeled back his lure, and placed the rod on his shoulder.  A crowd was starting to gather near the pier.  "Looks like we showed up at the right time, huh?  I think I'll toss my hat in the ring...water?  I'm signing up, is what I mean."  With that, Oswald headed towards the sign up station, where he waited in line.  Once it was his turn, he'd write down his name, and wait patiently again where everyone else stood.   

hxJ6EEI.png

Poké: 1340

"You know, you could learn how to too if you wanted! It's not too hard. Are all your clothes clean?"

"They're clean." It was the comment that fishing wasn't too hard that caught more of her attention though.

"Oh, are you interested in fishing too?" Fishing was always something Kanon had wanted to try her hand at, the more she thought about it. The closest she'd ever gotten to that was her surprise encounter with Bubbles, so maybe learning more about it wouldn't be such a bad thing? "Do you want to hear of the history like your friend did?" And the history of fishing might not have been bad to learn either. However, it sounded like Oswald would beg to differ.

"Let's hold off on that! After all, you have a competition to judge! Don't wanna be late for that, right? I can pass down the lesson for you!"

"Er, yeah," Kanon started, not really sure why Oswald was so concerned but opting to play along anyway. "You've gotta be a busy guy, would hate to hold you up." Meanwhile, people were gathering at the pier. For some sort of fishing competition, right? Oswald went over to sign up... only for Kanon to notice Nomi had been kind of missing. At least it's Nomi. She couldn't have gotten far. Kanon glanced around, only to find her on the floor, sleeping. It was only mildly surprising.

Kanon made for the sleeping girl, and nudged her face with the boots on her feet. "Hey, wake up."

ZA2NV7M.png

Naomi mumbled in her sleep. It wasn't anything that could be deciphered. Simply slightly annoyed noises that escaped her mouth along with a bit of drool. It took a bit but she finally stirred, looking over at the boot that was poking her and grabbed on it, and yanked on the boot harder than expected unconsciously. "Stooooopppp." Naomi muttered before her jaw nearly dislocated in a large yawn.

As Oswald got himself signed up for the fishing competition he would notice that many of the others had similar Rods to him except a few with some in better condition. The three Fishermen with Good Rods seemed to think that the others had absolutely no chance. Oswald would find himself standing in front of the judges table, which included the old man, an elderly woman who was apparently the mayor, and a fat men in a chef's uniform, with ten other people. Many Fishermen, a couple Youngsters, a Battle Girl, and oddly one of the two thugs, the male of the pair, whom they had encountered near the start of their journey.

The mayor gave a short speech about tradition and the importance of fishing to the culture and economy of the city before going over the rules. Which were that they'd have an hour to catch as many Pokemon as they can, using special Balls to be given out before the start, and they must pick the best to present to the judges. Who will then give it a score out of 100 depending on size, health, and rarity, of the Pokemon. She also mentioned how all Pokemon caught must be released at the end of the competition and that if they wished to keep what they fished up they'd need to do it when the competition was not underway.

She then brought out the prize, a Super Rod, and 1000 Pokedollars, for whoever had the highest score. After making sure everything was understood, Fishing Balls were distributed, and a reminder to play fair was given, the competition was on its way.

sXIqNHS.png

Jacklyn, without regard to the others, decided that she absolutely had to check the statue out farther. She went up to it and reached out for the structure. Finding it cool to the touch with a bit of a strange texture. Almost slimy in places. All of the group's heads would start to tingle with a bit of pain as they stayed around the statue but Jacklyn was determined to figure out what this thing was.

She didn't get much more time to explore it, however, as suddenly...

The Malamar landed next to Jacklyn and she would have to duck out of the way of the angry Pokemon's tentacle. It stared down the group with an unnaturally malevolent look to its eyes. It was clear that they would have to face this Pokemon in battle.

[spoiler=OOC]Boss fight! Basically this Malamar is a "Boss Pokemon" which cannot be caught and are stronger than the Pokemon around the area. For now you don't know its moves but you may send out a Pokemon and make your first moves before it begins combat in my next post.

It's level 20. Which I know is impossible. But Boss Pokemon. Moveset will be revealed as we go on.

sXIqNHS.png

As Jacklyn went to touch the interesting statue in the marsh, she found it strange that it had a cool and slimy texture to it. Perhaps something to do with it being in the marsh? Regardless, the girl felt a strange pain through her head which just happened to coincide with her examination of the statue, but being only driven by more curiosity, the girl continued to run her hand across it as she checked it out. As she heard the call from her friend about pressing onward, the girl held up a finger as if to say "in a minute." 

That minute was soon answered by something quite angry. "Silly Genny, that's not a calamar." As the pokemon landed in front of her, clear intent to fight in its eyes, she looked to her friend with a smile on her face saying, "it's a Malamar!" As she felt the small hand of Cherry drawing the girl's attention behind her, the girl's smile was broken into an expression of surprise as a tentacle was whipped towards her. Bending backwards, avoiding getting slammed by the attack, the girl said, "alright Cherry, it's time to get your adventure pants on." 

"Bu?" 

"That's right!" Reaching into her hood and grabbing the Buneary with both of her hands as she stood back upright  she said, "alright Cherry, I choose you!" With that, she tossed Cherry, feet first, towards the Malamar. The Buneary was confused but seemed ready to pound the Malamar with its feet as it sailed through the air towards them. 

Archived