Pokemon: Mind and Soul [IC/PG-13/Not Accepting]

OCO5E4E.png

Much to Ivan's surprise, Genny did end up tagging along with him across the marsh. As the two made their way towards Jackyln, Ivan felt a tingle of pain cropping up in his head. As Ivan clutched his head with his right hand, a Malamar suddenly sprung out of the statue, swiping at Jacklyn who managed to dodge the attack. "Shi​t!" Ivan hissed under his breath, pulling out Po's Pokeball. Normally he wasn't one to interfere with things like this, but he doubt Jacklyn and Cherry could take Malamar on.

As he tossed up the ball, Po appeared from it, landing on his shoulder with a wide grin on his face. His grin, however, faded quickly as he saw the situation at hand. "We can't let her fight that thing!" Ivan said, making his way closer towards Jacklyn to put Po into range to help.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"JACKIE!"

Genny screamed out of character as the girl narrowly dodged the Malamar's attack, her own heart racing. She stepped back warily into the gunk, no longer thinking about how it felt. All she knew at the time was fear. Where had this giant creature come from? What was it angry about? Why had she thought she was fit for this sort of adventure. Shakily stepping backwards, Genny tripped and fell into the swamp, shaking with fear in her eyes. She shakily reached for a ball, throwing it as hard as she could as she tried to sit up, the ball hitting dead-on.

"Yes!" The performer grinned as she saw the impact... but it quickly turned to despair as the ball fell to the ground, never activating. "Wh-what is this...?"

sXIqNHS.png

The Malamar didn't seem to be too bothered by the flying bunny. Cherry hit the Pokemon in the face and dealt its damage but the Malamar pushed her off as easily as she had connected.

It noticed Po approaching and raised both of its tentacles in front of it. And odd, wobbling, wave of Psychic energy was launched out from between the wild Pokemon's tentacles at the Pancham.

Then, without waiting for it to connect, the Malamar tucked its body down and jumped towards Cherry like a rocket, Tackling her in return for the Pound that she had delivered.

It didn't seem to pay much heed to Genevieve despite the failed capture. Interestingly the ball that she had used hadn't even activated and so it was still able to be picked up and re-used later.

The sky ahead was darkening as the sun was starting to set. The other wild Pokemon seemed to have scattered when the Malamar appeared and now the swamp had an eerie silence except for the Malamar's occasional cries.

[spoiler=OOC]Feel free to do a bit more action in your posts if you wish.

Malamar, level 20. Moves: Tackle, Psywave, ???, ???

Psywave in this case can do either 5, 10, or 15 HP damage. If it hits this time it'll be 10

ZIVztwp.png

DoXqK9s.png

As Oswald received his special Pokeballs, he took another glance at that fishing rod.  With that thing...he'd have the perfect cover as a random teenager trying to blend in with the region!  It was the perfect cover!  He had to win by any means necessary!  He looked around at all the other competitors who looked incredibly more talented than him at the art of fishing...but if what that Guru had said was true, then this wouldn't be too hard.  With one solid motion, Oswald took the old rod and flung it behind his shoulder, and cast it out into the sea.  

There, he waited until his pole bent...patiently....just like the Guru had taught him.  The urge to whistle was killing him.

sXIqNHS.png

Jacklyn gave a thumbs up to Genny to assure her that she was a-okay against the Malamar. As the Buneary struck the pokemon, Jacklyn shouted, "yeah! Get'em Cherry!" Which was then followed, "ah! Get up Cherry!" As the Buneary was sent tumbling backwards from the counter assault of the Malamar, they hopped back up when spurred by their trainer. While she at first seemed to be raring to fight, upon seeing the actually menacing figure of their opponent up close and personal, the Buneary seemed to be far more reluctant to engage, hopping away. 

"No Cherry! Forward! Go and- um." Jacklyn stopped, trying to think for a moment as she did not actually know what Cherry was capable of doing. Shaking her head, instead, she shouted, "Cherry go hit it again! With your feet or something!" The Buneary was still not entirely confident in its ability to fight the creature, but as Jacklyn shouted what to do, the Buneary decided they probably knew best. So, leaping forward, the Buneary went to strike at the face of the Malamar once more. 

hxJ6EEI.png

Poké: 1340

"Stooooopppp."

And then Nomi yanked on Kanon's boot, pulling her foot and leg with it, harder than she could ever have expected from a sleeping girl. The sudden yank threw off Kanon's balance entirely, This in turn prompted the would-be breeder to fall onto her rear with an unsatisfying thud against the wooden dock beneath her. "Hey!" she exclaimed. "Come on, get up! Sleeping on a Rhyhorn is one thing but this is just ridiculous! If you roll over or something and fall into the ocean, you'd drown before even waking up, knowing you." Kanon pulled her leg away from Nomi, before standing up straight again. The fishing competition, meanwhile, was starting off, though Kanon could swear she recognized one of the contestants. Hopefully everything worked out in Oswald's favor.

ZA2NV7M.png

"Come on, get up! Sleeping on a Rhyhorn is one thing but this is just ridiculous! If you roll over or something and fall into the ocean, you'd drown before even waking up, knowing you."

"Maybe'll float." Naomi muttered as she lazily reached out again for Kanon's leg. "Isn't it nap time? Look, they're all just standin' round. Wazzit matter if I sleep?"

Her point would be made even better when, fifteen minutes in, nothing seemed to be happening.

Oswald was positioned near one of the Good Rod holders as well as the thug from before. The Fisherman with the Good Rod hadn't stopped talking the entire time. "It's good to see kids like you fishing. Of course you have no chance with Rods like that but it's a good start for you. I remember when I started I thought I could win one of these but maybe one day you'll get older and wiser like me and have a chance."

It wasn't until the twenty minute mark that the true competition began. Because that was when a couple of the contenders finally pulled up their first catches.

[spoiler=OOC]So, Hyde, feel free to write up how the rest of the hour goes for Oswald and if you want to get some dialogue in and want information let me know.

Oh and a reminder

"Encounters: Fishing. Magikarp, 75%. Goldeen, 20%. Remoraid, 4%. Feebass, 1% (Note, requires a fishing rod)"

Not all that's possible but the most common Pokemon of the city.

OCO5E4E.png

Ivan stopped dead in his tracks, startled by the sudden shift in Genny's voice. Shook enough, that he didn't see the Psywave aimed at Po. Luckil, Po was paying attention as the squid Pokemon aim and attack him, although without much of a platform to dodge, he instead braced himself as the psychic wave crashed into him, sending him backwards right onto Ivan's head. Ivan stumbled, falling back onto the swamp with Po landing somewhere next to him. "Damn it..." Ivan shoot his head, standing up and picking up Po, who was struggling to stay afloat. "You ok bud?" Ivan said to Po, who was mostly ok, although the panda had seen better days. 

Ivan nodded, before shifting a glance at Genny. He'd have to talk to her later. Right now Jacklyn was in trouble, and Genny was being less than useful. Ivan turned back to Malamar, before gritting his teeth. "I'll take you one hand on hand if I have to ya slimey funk!" Ivan shouted at the Pokemon, before basically tossing Po at it. "Go Po! Do what you do best!"

Po was, of course, startled at first. However, the panda was all in on the plan, grinning wildly as he approached the Malamar. Instead of tackling it this time, however, he instead started thrusting his arms at the squid, hoping to get some solid hits in.

Meanwhile Ivan was hustling towards where he had just tossed his companion, ready to catch the panda whenever he was sent back.

ZIVztwp.png

DoXqK9s.png

Oswald could hear his breathing.  He was really concentrating on the lure, and watched it bob up and down as the tides hit it.  This was really relaxing, and he could understand why so many trainers took to this lifestyle.  Of course, this would turn out to be a quite lucrative hobby for him.  After another deep breath, he took the time to see the contestants next to him.  One was a pretty standard looking fisherman, and the other was that hooligan from before.  The one that tried to hassle sweet Naomi.  He cleared his throat, before attempting to speak to him.  

"Uhm...have you been following my friends and I?  I believe we apologized back in the other town...right?"

"Eh?  Follow you?  Don't make me laugh chump.  There's only one real road on this island, didn't you notice?"

Oswald snickered, pointing at him.

"I didn't take you for the type who stays on the right path all the time."  He shrugged.  "My mistake."

"Whatever path I take is the right one.  You trying to fake me out, chump?!"

"Well...I really do want that Super Rod.  However, I'm still curious about your organization.  But if you have to be in a certain mindset to fish well, then I guess I won't pROD!"  Oswald held in the laughter that almost escaped him.  "Good luck.  May the best fisherman win."

"Tch!  That Super Rod is mine!  And don't talk about my organization!  I can alphabetize just fine!"

Oswald gave the thug a blank stare, out of sheer amazement from his lack of awareness.

"Oh..oh my god."  Oswald said, before feeling a tug on his lure.  Instinctively, he started to reel the catch in.  Once it was close to him, he threw the Old Rod back to make the fish hop out of the water.  Oswald could see the faint trace of the Pokemon, as it's outline was caught in the sun.  He brought out one of the special Poke Balls for the competition, and threw it at the glorious Goldeen that floundered about mid air.  The Goldeen was caught, and Oswald picked up the pokeball.  "Alright...this one's good...but I can aim higher!" He thought to himself.  He reeled back his Old Rod, and cast the lure out once more.  He had a good feeling about this next catch.  

hxJ6EEI.png

"Maybe'll float."

"That's not how that works."

"Isn't it nap time? Look, they're all just standin' round. Wazzit matter if I sleep?"

"It isn't that you're sleeping, it's..." Was there even a point to this? Knowing Nomi, she'd just sleep again once the discussion was over anyway. "...nevermind." And so, Kanon turned her attention back to the fishing competition. It featured a whole lotta nothing. Five minutes in? Nothing. Ten? Fifteen? Nothing. It was after twenty extraordinarily drab minutes - during which time Kanon had released her two Pokemon from their respective Poke Balls to let them stretch - that things were starting to really happen. People were catching fish. Oswald even caught a Goldeen! They were no Feebas, but Goldeen was a fine fish too.

It was then that Lunar - ever the eager Rockruff - ran for the water, tail wagging and face full of excitement. Hoping to make a catch of his own, the dog jumped... only to be sternly grabbed mid-air. "Oh no you don't!" Kanon exclaimed, bringing the Rockruff back onto the docks. "I'm no professor, but I know well enough to know that if you jump into the ocean, it'll be bad news. There's gotta be something we can find for you to do while everyone's fishing..." Kanon glanced around, her eyes eventually settling on a stick lying on the ground.

It was worth a shot.

Kanon made for the stick, and picked it up. "Oh, Lunar~" Kanon held the stick out toward her rather excited-looking Rockruff, before tossing the stick down the docks from where she was standing, taking care to aim so that the fishing competition wouldn't have a Rockruff suddenly charging through the competitors. "Go get it!" And get it the good boy did. Lunar ran along the docks, picked up the stick...

...then started running further up the docks, back into Islesbury Town proper, tail wagging the entire way. "Wait, WAIT! LUNAR!" Kanon started up the docks after him, scooping up her Poliwag as well before taking off. We'll have to work on that with you, won't we?

ZA2NV7M.png

"Bye bye." Naomi muttered as Kanon ran off. She then laid down on her stomach, crossed her arms in front of her, and rested her head on her arms. Watching the water rock back, and forth, and back, and forth.

Meanwhile the fisherman took note of Oswald's catch and chuckled. "That's a cute little fish you got there." He said. "Not prize worthy but I'm sure it's quite exciting for a beginner such as yourself." Though if Oswald were paying attention he'd notice the man was sweating a bit more than normal as it seemed that he hadn't caught anything yet.

Which was only made worse as the head judge called out "Last ten minutes" not long after.

[spoiler=OOC]Feel free to head along to the finish of the hour, Hyde.

sXIqNHS.png

The Malamar glared at Jacklyn's Buneary as the little bunny flew through the air. The Pokemon raised its tentacles and a ring of psychic energy made its way towards it. Instead of the Psywave from before this was a Hypnosis attack and, if it hit Cherry, she'd be sent into a slumber.

Po was able to get his attack in without much trouble, striking the Malamar three times with his fist. But then the large Pokemon pushed itself into the air and landed several feet away. Then it tucked down and charged at Po in order to Tackle the Pancham.

[spoiler=OOC]

Malamar, level 20. Moves: Tackle, Psywave, Hypnosis, ???

I'll try and be a bit faster with this since Genny isn't IN the fight right at this moment. Let me know when you feel up to posting, Black.

sXIqNHS.png

While Cherry was knocked away once again, it continued to bounce back onto its feet, ready to fight some more. Unfortunately, she was caught off guard by the sudden wave of psychic energy that flowed out of the Malamar as it gazed towards her. As it struck the Buneary, they merely stood there for a moment, a bit unsure what had just happened. However, after a few moments more, Cherry's eyes suddenly closed as they fell over, lying in the muck. Looking at the snoring Buneary, Jacklyn's expression dropped into agitation and confusion. "What?" Shaking her head she shouted, "Cherry! Cherry! This is no time for a nap! We've got a big fight and stuff to take on! Come on! Hellllooooo? Earth to Cherry! Come on! Wake up! No? Okay, well," shrugging, the girl pulled out her pokeball and returned the Buneary back into it. 

"Get some beauty sleep, I guess. Alright, time for my other trusty adventuring companion!" Putting the ball back, she then drew out another one which prompted her to send out her Lepash. "Alright Rus, we got a big one to deal iwth this time!" The Lepash looked to the girl, not sure what a "big one" was supposed to mean, though went immediately on edge as it turned to face the Malamar. There was something that the Lepash seemed to feel uneasy about, but stood its ground and got ready to fight. "Alright Rus, stop that big guy! Go and Ember it!" With that, while the Malamar was focused on attacking Po, Rus moved to shoot a small ball of flame at their opponent's back. 

ZIVztwp.png

DoXqK9s.png

With his first pokemon caught for the competition, the fisherman next to him gave a rather backhanded compliment.

"That's a cute little fish you got there." He said. "Not prize worthy but I'm sure it's quite exciting for a beginner such as yourself."

"Last ten minutes" Oswald heard a judge cry out.  

Oswald smiled nonetheless.  The man was sweating nervously, and he hadn't remembered this fisherman catching anything.  

"Thanks!  I got a really in depth lesson!"  Just as he got done with his sentence, he felt another tug on his line.  "Another one, already?!  Look's like it's my lucky day."  He reeled back with all of his might, watching as the pokemon was suddenly jerked up into the air.  It was no doubt surprised that it got pulled at all of a sudden.  This time, it was a rather odd looking pokemon, but one that he was all too familiar with coming from Johto.  "Perfect!  you can only get these fellas on a special occasion.  Something about a phone call?"  Oswald had to smack himself out of the nostalgia, as he had to get the ball out and throw it at the bouncing Remoraid.  Just like the first catch, the pokemon was an easy enough, and was caught without much hassle. Oswald pumped his arm in excitement.  "This is the one!  I can feel it~!"  Oswald turned to the thug to his side and smiled.  

"Looks like the Super Rod is all mine with this, huh?"

"TIMES UP!"  Oswald made sure to carefully pack up his beaten up Old Rod, and put it over his shoulder, carrying the pokeball that held Remoraid in his other hand.  He walked up to the judges panel, where everyone lined up in a row.  Presumably, everyone was going to show off their best catch.  When it came to Oswald's turn, he would present his Remoraid proudly.  

hxJ6EEI.png

It took quite a bit of running around. By quite a bit, of course, what Kanon really meant was that she had no idea how long she'd spent chasing her Rockruff through all corners of Islesbury Town. Fortunately, he didn't seem to really cause much trouble along the way. When Kanon had finally caught Lunar, she was out of breath, her legs were sore, and she just had to sit down somewhere. Kanon looked at the nearby docks, and started back down toward them. The fishing competition was still going, but around the time Kanon got back to where Nomi was still sleeping on the dock, a distinct cry of "TIMES UP!" signaled that the competition was over.

She'd made it back just in time to see who would win. Nice. And she got plenty of exercise too, if she was willing to overlook just why she got so much exercise. "The next town we visit, I'm getting you a leash," Kanon panted. She then fished out one of the Poke Balls from her raincoat pocket, and pressed the button on it, returning her Rockruff to its spherical home. With that, Kanon turned her attention to the fishing competitors, as she worked on catching her breath from her prolonged chase around town.

OCO5E4E.png

Ivan watched as Po did something that... wasn't a Tackle, per say. Instead, the panda seemed to flail its arms at the Malamar, which seemed to actually be rather effective. Ivan wasn't sure if this was a new move it had learned or if Ivan just never bothered to check if it knew something outside of Tackle. As he made a mental note to check his Pokedex later, he saw Po land where the Malamar had been before. The giant squid seemed ready to charge into Po. Ivan had a rather reckless plan.

"Po, Tackle its tackle!" He said, making his way roughly behind Po. The Panda, being almost as reckless as his trainer, did not hesitate as it nodded its head. As the Malamar charged Po, Po too charged at the Malamar, hitting it with all it had.

This was a mistake. This was a mistake. Thiswasamistakethiswasamistakethiswasamistake.

Genny's mind was racing with fear, her eyes wide as the beast... Turned away from her? Genny shifted slightly before pushing herself up, thinking about running for it. However, as she began to take a step, she saw Po ramming into the Malamar as hard as he could, with Rus fighting back as well. She couldn't do that. She wasn't fit for this. She was meant to be on a stage, not galavanting about like this. But she couldn't just leave them... Could she?

With a resigned breath, the girl, still covered in the muck, spun dramatically, tossing a ball in the air.

"Come out, mon petite Etoile! Use your bubbles!"

The Popplio popped out of the ball with a bright shine, Genny biting her lips in hopes it would gather the Malamar's attention. She snapped to finish the order, Etoile quickly blowing bubble after bubble, letting them burst in the glow she left behind her, creating an effect not unlike a small lightshow.

"That was just the beginning! Etoile, Aqua Ring!"

With as loud a howl as the small pokemon could make, it summoned the ring around her body, making her look like an actual star with the water and sparkles in the air, a determined look on the pokemon's face.

"Avant, Water Gun!"

As Genny's attempt at a diversion played out, the Popplio reared its head back, shooting water at the large Pokemon. Genny bowed dramatically as the attack was fired, hoping to hide the discomfort on her face from everyone before she quickly stood back up.

If nothing else... we can be bait!

ZA2NV7M.png

Each of the contestants stood before the three judges, sending out their chosen catch, and standing with bated breath as the judges inspected their catch. The spoke to each other in hushed voices, an occasional term such as "wonderful sheen" and "much larger than any of its kind I've seen" seeping through. The old man gave Oswald a wink after his turn to show off his catch but gave no indication other than that.

After a long period where the contestants were told to line up the judges stood up and moved in front of their table. The female of the group, the mayor of the city, held the Super Rod in her hands while the chef was holding a bag containing the reward money. The old man stepped forward. "This competition reminds me of a story." At the collective groans from the people watching, the mayor gently urged him to move along, and the old man responded. "Maybe another time. All of you did a wonderful job. Representing the great history of fishing as well as anyone could. There were three that stood out above them all though. Though there's only one prize you can take pride in knowing that your fishing skills are recognized."

He then called each of them up. In third place was the thug that Oswald talked to, who had gotten an incredibly large Magikarp.

In second place was one of the Good Rod holders, the one that had been talking to Oswald hadn't even managed to get a bite, with a pristine Goldeen.

And in first place was Oswald himself! The old man smiled at the young man and reached out to shake his hands. "You have a bright future ahead of you young man. Now go on and take your prize."

"Not so fast." The thug said, stepping forward. "I ain't going home without that Rod."

He stormed up to the trio of judges and snatched the Super Rod from the shocked mayor. The chef started forward to intercept but fell back with a yelp as an Ember shot out towards him. "Yo, you heard the man, we're taking this stupid stick."

"Know that it will be used for Team Phoenix to reach their goal."

The female thug that had been with the other when the group met him came out from the crowd. And in front of her, with a Salandit at her side, was Alicia. "Step aside as you now stand in the presence of Alicia, Admin of Team Phoenix."

The two thugs, Team Phoenix Grunts, moved to her side and sent out a Pokemon of their own, both Zubat, and glared at the crowd. The male spoke up again "We're leaving now and none of yous better get in our way."

Naomi, blinking awake at all the noise, groaned as she sat up. "Wazzup? S'there a fire?" she asked drowsily.

[spoiler=OOC]Okay! So this will be a triple 1v1. As in not a team match but instead each of you choose an opponent and focus on them.

Team Phoenix Grunt A (Male): Zubat, level 7

Team Phoenix Grunt B (Female: Zubat, level 8

Team Phoenix Admin, Alicia: Salandit, level 9

sXIqNHS.png

The Malamar couldn't slow its forward momentum even if it wanted to. And, from the look in its eyes, it didn't seem to want to. The two Pokemon collided and Po, the smaller of the two, was blown back from the impact. The Malamar landed back straight, but a little dizzy, as Po fell to the ground. It was immediately struck by an Ember to the back afterwards which seemed to cause the Pokemon some pain.

Before it could turn to react to Rus's attack Genny ordered her own Pokemon to do a rather unusual tactic. Something the Malamar didn't seem to understand. It did understand the Water Gun which it jumped to the side to avoid. Without turning back towards the Fire type behind it the Malamar shot off a wave of Psychic energy at Etoile and proceeded to rush forward with a Tackle to follow it up.

sXIqNHS.png

Jacklyn merely shouted out, "yeah like that!" to Rus as the Lepash managed to hit its attack and cause the opponent visible damage. However, both the trainer and pokemon winced as Po seemed to take a massive hit from the tackle collision. "No, not like that." Rus nodded. As the Malamar began to take note of the fire bunny, it was soon instead distracted by the performance of Genny and her Popplio. This also served to distract Jacklyn and Rus, as they seemed to be equally confused and impressed by the sudden show, but was soon snapped out of it as they too went on the offensive. 

"Alright Rus, go for another one!" With that, Rus took to getting to face the back of their foe, before letting loose yet another Ember at them. 

ZIVztwp.png

DoXqK9s.png

Oswald's stomach rumbled as he waited for the judges to call out the winners of the competition.  The Guru had winked at him some time before, but maybe he was just proud of the fact that he had gotten two good bites.  In third place was the thug, who had a pretty big Magikarp.  The size was quite impressive...was that a factor in all of this?  Next was the other one standing next to him during the competition, who had finally caught a goldeen in the final moments.  And in first place was...

HIMSELF?!

"You have a bright future ahead of you young man. Now go on and take your prize."

His heart skipped a beat, for a moment.  It had been a while since he had won an award, the last being from the academy.  He removed himself from the line to attempt to take the rod when the thug interjected.  

"Not so fast.  I ain't going home without that Rod."

He had grabbed the Super Rod away from the mayor, as Oswald snapped at him.  

"You lost fair and square!  Hand it over, before I place you under..."  He said, reaching for his badge.  Now wasn't the time.  "Before I get a little forceful!"  

"Know that it will be used for Team Phoenix to reach their goal."  The female thug that had been with the other when the group met him came out from the crowd. And in front of her, with a Salandit at her side, was Alicia. "Step aside as you now stand in the presence of Alicia, Admin of Team Phoenix."

Team Phoenix?  Were they a criminal organization like the likes of Team Rocket?  What was he thinking, of course they were with this showing of force.  Oswald couldn't help but have a smile trace his face.  He was really gonna be able to start digging for information around here.  He was really gonna be an asset to the Interpol.  Now if he could just bring them in for questioning.  

"We're leaving now and none of yous better get in our way."

Oswald instinctively grabbed at one of his Pokeballs.  

"You aren't going anywhere!  Go, Archie!"  He said, flinging out the ball.  He mistakenly had sent out Icarus, however, in his haste.  He grit his teeth, as the Starly unfurled it's wings and gave a rather rambunctious tweet.  With that much enthusiasm, Oswald couldn't just put him away.  "Alright, Icarus!  Let's do it!"  

"Wazzup? S'there a fire?"

"Naomi!"  Oswald, turned his head to her.  "Time to show them what you're best at!  Tripping them up!"  He smiled, before turning towards Alicia.  "Team Phoenix, huh?  I've never heard of you...but I plan on learning everything after I take you down, and get my prize back."  He pointed towards the girl's Salandit.  "Go, Icarus!  Rush in with Quick Attack!"  Icarus gave off a cry, before it took off into the sky at a rapid pace, dive-bombing towards the Salandit.  

hxJ6EEI.png

The fishing contest had at last ended. Kanon could hear the judges muttering things about this catch or that one to each other, though from her position away from the contest itself, she couldn't quite make out what they were talking about. What mattered in the end were the results, though. In third place was that thug that looked vaguely familiar, with his pretty big Magikarp. Kanon didn't even know they could get to be that big. In second place was a more experienced-looking guy with a nicer rod than most of the competitors, who had caught an apprently really impressive Goldeen.

And in first? Oswald himself! "You have a bright future ahead of you young man. Now go on and take your prize." Everything looked like a happy conclusion to the team's time here in Islesbury Town. Until...

"Not so fast. I ain't going home without that Rod."

"Know that it will be used for Team Phoenix to reach their goal." Kanon would know that pretentious tone of voice anywhere after having to deal with it once before. Her attention snapped to precisely who she thought it was. "Step aside as you now stand in the presence of Alicia, Admin of Team Phoenix."

"You aren't going anywhere! Go, Archie!" Except... the pokemon Oswald sent out wasn't Archie. It was the bird. "Alright, Icarus! Let's do it!"

"Wazzup? S'there a fire?"

"Just get up already!"

"Naomi! Time to show them what you're best at! Tripping them up!"

Kanon reached into her pocket. Whoever this Team Phoenix was, they sounded like bad news. Also because Kanon wanted to let Alicia in particular taste some defeat for once. Unfortunately, Oswald was already working on that himself. Kanon turned her attention instead fo the female grunt of the group. From within her pocket, Kanon pulled out a Poke Ball, and tossed it forward. "Want some exercise, Lunar? Go get 'em!" From within the Poke Ball sprang forth the Rockruff that had caused Kanon so much trouble just earlier. WIth a mighty yip full of energy and enthusiasm, the rocky pup fixed its sights on the female grunt's Zubat.

"Give that bat a good Leer!" And on command, the Rockruff's gaze suddenly became much less friendly.

OCO5E4E.png

Ivan let out a gasp as Po was sent flying backwards, tumbling on the ground before stopping. "Po...!?" Ivan called out, to no reaction. It was clear that the panda was out for the count, having fainted. "Damn it!" Ivan shouted, recalling Po back to his Pokeball. He was down for the count, unless... "But I just caught..." Ivan let out a sigh. "I-I can't just stand back 'ere are do nothing just 'cause my main mon is down!" Grabbing the other ball, Ivan lunged it at the scene of the battle. "Go, Root!" He called out, the Bellsprout emerging.

Root looked like she had seen better days, although it would be hard to tell by the fiery look in her eyes. It turned to Ivan, almost angry at being caught. Ivan shrugged. "Well ain't you just a ray of sunshine." He said, before the sounds of Malamar's psychic waves caught both of their attentions. Ivan smirked. "Look, I know you ain't the happiest camper, but you see that big oaf?" He pointed at the Malamar. "How about you and me go kick 'is a​​ss, huh?" Root seemed to think about it, before nodding eagerly, ready for another fight. "That's the spirit! Root, use uh..." Ivan checked his Pokedex quickly to see what his new partner had. As he was checking, Root was already charging forward, whipping the Malamar with her vines. "... Vine Whip." He shook his head. "Why do I get all the hot heads?"

Genny winced as Etoile flew back from the psychic wave, but forced a grin onto her face all the same. With a flick of her trainer's wrist, Etoile distanced herself from the trainer, hoping to draw the Malamar's tackle away... 

"Monsieur calamar, welcome to our show! Etoile, retournes!"

The Popplio, still in the Malamar's path, was returned to its ball, Genny praying the momentum would keeop it from turning. Tossing up a second pokeball, Fléaur appeared in front of Genny, with a small cry.

"Alright, mon petit fleur, use Absorb on that giant pokemon!"

"Buuudew!"

The little bud tried its best to suck energy from the squid, standing its ground with a determined expression, its trainer holding its and Etoile's Pokeballs in her hand. She gripped them tightly, shakily holding the grin on her face.

I just have to hold on. Don't let Fléaur or Etoile see I'm scared... This bait and switch seems to at least distract that beast, even if neither are very strong.

"Come on, now, don't let us have all the fun, you two!"

sXIqNHS.png

The Malamar flipped as its Tackle met nothing but air, landing back on its tentacle-feet just in time for a barrage of embers to strike its face and a couple vines hit it across the side. It seemed to become a bit unsteady, swaying back and forth, as a third attack struck it. But the Pokemon wasn't quite down yet and it only seemed more angry then before. It turned its body in a slow circle, firing off a Psywave at each of the Pokemon that had attacked it. As it reached a full circulation it seemed to almost fall over but instead it crouched, as though preparing to spring forward.

[spoiler=OOC]So just to be clear everyone is getting a Psywave sent at them and the first Pokemon to attack it the Malamar is going to leap to avoid it and go for a Tackle.

ZA2NV7M.png

Naomi, clumsily getting up from a sitting position, backpack hitting her on the head on the way up, looked around at the scene unfolding. There was...a battle? She didn't really want to battle right now but she supposed if the other two she would have to.

The male Grunt laughed as he locked eyes with her. "Guess I get to pay you back for what you did. This'll be quick."

Naomi blinked. "Uh...do I know you?" She asked.

The Grunt's face turned red in anger. "That's it! Zubat, Absorb!" He pointed in Naomi's direction. Something that very much confused her a she hadn't sent out a Pokemon.

She reached down for Princess's ball when Knight popped out of his ball instead, getting in the way of the Zubat's attack and taking the hit. Naomi paused. "Knight? I didn't send'y'out..."

The Hoppip turned to Naomi and gave her a stubborn look. Naomi didn't feel like arguing with her own Pokemon so she shrugged. "Mkay...Absorb it back." She said.

The small pink Pokemon turned back to the Zubat and used its attack, draining a very small amount of energy from the Pokemon.

The Grunt gave a bewildered stare. This was gonna be a slow one.

---

Alicia scoffed at Oswald. "I was gonna show that drab girl with you what a real trainer is but I guess I'll just have to deal with you instead."

She raised an eyebrow as the bird Pokemon charged in and then, her tone of utmost haughtiness, "Salandit, sweetie, Poison Gas." As Icarus charged towards the lizard Pokemon it discharged a purple cloud of gas out of its body. Icarus flew right through it, causing the gas to cling to its body and Poisoning it as it slammed into the Salandit, which was knocked back by the force of the blow.

Smirking and tossing her hair Alicia gave a second command. "Venoshock."

---

The female Grunt stood with her hands on her hips as she watched her Zubat hesitate from the Rockruff's Leer. "Of course I have to deal with the Rock type." The girl muttered.

"Go, Supersonic!" the girl cried out and her Zubat let out a harsh noise, sending a visible wave of sound wobbling its way towards Lunar. The girl waited until the Rockruff reacted and, if it dodged, she'd order her Zubat to use Absorb. However if the confusion causing attack landed then she'd instead follow up with Astonish.

[spoiler=OOC]Team Phoenix Grunt A (Male): Zubat, level 7, Absorb, Supersonic, Astonish

Team Phoenix Grunt B (Female: Zubat, level 8, Absorb, Supersonic, Astonish

Team Phoenix Admin, Alicia: Salandit, level 9, Poison Gas, Venoshock, ???, ???

Naomi vs Grunt A: Yeah...this will take a while

Kanon vs Grunt B: So I decided to add in both of what she'd do depending on if the attack misses or hits so you have a base to go off of

Oswald vs Alicia: Yeah I know Quick Attack is priority hush :P Also to describe the Venoshock (I wanted to let reaction to the attack instead of just instahitting with it) it would basically be launching a spray of poison, in a shotgun-like spread, like a dozen separate lines, in an arc.

"Fléaur, retournes!"

As the psychic energy hit where the Budew had been, the little bud was safely tucked back in its ball, with Etoile replacing it a little ways away from the impact. As the sealion's shimmer filled the air, Genny bit her lip, nearly drawing blood as she quivered slightly.

I've already pulled that trick twice now. Wild or not, I can't believe it'll fall for the same trick three times in a row... But I have to try, we can't do more than this!

"Alors, use Water Gun!"

Pulling her head back, then flinging it forward, Etoile fired the stream of water at the Malamar. Genny felt her anxiety clearing as it looked like the attack was going to hit... Only for the Pokemon to dodge immediately before Impact. Her teeth sunk deeper in shock, busting her lip as she fumbled to get her ball.

"Etoile, ret-"

But it was too late. The Malamar made contact, sending Etoile flying. As the sealion skidded across the mud, Genny rushed to her. As she scooped her up, oblivious to her bleeding lip and the mud, the tears began to fall onto the Popplio's face, the pokemon giving a weak bwark.

"I'm sorry, baby... Mama'll do better next time..."

Patting the ball to Etoile's head, it returned, and Genny quickly called out Fléaur in her place. Genny snapped her fingers, a shaky look in her eyes growing more determined as she let her accent slip away entirely.

"Alright, Fléaur! Growth, then absorb!"

The Budew let out a dramatic cry, before growing about 30% larger. As the now not-so-small bud began to absorb energy again, Genny glared at the beast. Her plan forsaken, she now wanted to defeat the Malamar, with or without the other two. For her darling Etoile. For her failure. For herself.

sXIqNHS.png

With yet another successful ember landing, Jacklyn and Rus were getting more pumped up at the fight, Rus ready to unleash yet another ember at the crazed pokemon. However, as it sent a psywave its way, Rus was caught off guard as the Malamar went to attack everything, and thus winced in pain as they were struck by the wave of psychic energy. As it was recovering, both Jacklyn and Rus looked on as the Popplio was brought down with a mighty tackle. With a determined expression on her face, the girl pointed once more at the Malamar saying, "alright Rus, this guy has caused us all a lot of trouble already. So let's show him what for! Go, and use Ember again!" The Lepash nodded, snorting out a puff of smoke from its nostrils as it deeply inhaled. With one big exhale, the flaming rabbit shot out a few balls of small flame towards the Malamar once again. 

Archived