[Striker] Weekend Contest #11

Nathanael D. Striker

C5DSAsl.png

Welcome to the final week of this Series and the first contest of 2018. You should know the drill by now, and be sure to note the standings. Fights are sure to arise now.

Series Standings
1. Jack Frost (14)

2. Eshai (11)

3. Azure Wolf (7)

4. Dtwist11 (4)

5. Dova (3)
6. BatMed (1)

[spoiler=Rules]
All YCM Rules Apply
In order to enter, just post your intention here.
Cards (and lore) may be posted within the thread when completed. Once posted, the specific card can be edited before the deadline but not replaced with another card.
Written Cards are accepted, but no pictureless cards.
The usage of Fake Types / Attributes, as well as DIVINE, Divine-Beast and Creator God is expressly forbidden.
You are expected to design a card that adheres to the current standards set by Konami (usage of the existing 24 legal Types + 6 Attributes).
While my judging is ultimately final, contestants are welcome to appeal with anything I may have missed in their card that would alter their score.
Deadline for entry/submission is January 3rd at 11:59pm PST.
I have the right to add rules.

[spoiler=Card Requirement]
New Years means New Beginnings. What's a better way to run with that than to make some Retrains? You are to choose 1 Normal Monster and retrain it so that it becomes an Effect Monster. Retraining to an Extra Deck Monster is not allowed, but Gemini/Flip/Union/etc. is allowed. Happy New Years~

[spoiler=Contest Prizes]
1st: 5 Series Points, 10,000 points, 2 Reps
2nd: 3 Series Points, 5,000 points, 1 Reps
3rd: 1 Series Point, 2,500 points

[spoiler=Series Prizes]

1st: 100,000 points, 3 Reps, Award Logo (To be made)

2nd: 50,000 points, 2 Reps

3rd: 25,000 points, 1 Rep

[spoiler=Rubric]
Balance: /20

Creativity: /15

Playability: /15

Total: /50

[spoiler=Card]Winged Weaver of the Divines

Level 7/LIGHT

Fairy/Effect

If this card is Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Fairy Normal Monster from your hand, Deck, or GY. You can send this card from your hand to the GY: Target 2 Fairy monsters in your GY, other than "Winged Weaver of the Divines"; add them to your hand. You can only use 1 "Winged Weaver of the Divines" effect per turn and only once that turn.

2750/2400

Retrain of Wingweaver. First effect allows you to set up for either a Link summon of go for a Rank 7 if you have the original Wingweaver in your deck. Second effect acts as some grave recovery for fairies.

Alien Stormtrooper

EARTH | ✪✪✪✪ | Reptile/Effect | 1900/800

This card cannot attack unless it has an A-Counter(s) on it. When an Alien monster(s) attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. If this card is sent to the GY: You can add 1 "Alien" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.

Retrain of Alien Shocktrooper. Designed to not completely override the original in usefulness, as they can still use that BEWD field spell.

sure 100,000 points doesn't sound bad

Question: can I retrain non-Effect monsters? As in Extra Deck monsters that might as well be Normal Monsters since they don't have effects. Ex: Gem-Knight Pearl, Sanwitch, Scrap Archfiend, Gaia Saber, the Lightning Shadow, etc.

sure 100,000 points doesn't sound bad

Question: can I retrain non-Effect monsters? As in Extra Deck monsters that might as well be Normal Monsters since they don't have effects. Ex: Gem-Knight Pearl, Sanwitch, Scrap Archfiend, Gaia Saber, the Lightning Shadow, etc.

Deadline expired a while ago, and from the opening post, it has to be Vanilla Main Deck; not the ED.

(And yeah, suppose Striker's typing this too)

As still haven't done the grading, I'll open submissions back up again until 1/8 11:59am. Consider this a gift for both me not getting grading done sooner and for having this start after a weekend. Those who have already submitted may edit their card or change it out for a different card, another gift. Enjoy, folks.

Alright, let's end this, shall we?

[spoiler=Azure Wolf]

The best way to use the first effect, from what I can recall, is Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen. That and this card essentially allows an easy Link/Rank 7, though the balancing factor is that you can't have any monsters beforehand. So, a good power play coming from nothing, and that sounds good to me. The second effect is a simple recycling effect, though I don't get the reasoning for having the restriction that is has. What sort of plays would abuse both effects? Monster Reborn is gone, so are you concerned about Call of the Haunted? Actually, a play that can both discard, and then resurrect this card would abuse both effects (in a single turn), so I get it now, yet you could just delay the resurrection for a turn and it wouldn't matter all that much.

Playability, Fairy Decks, obviously. Your card should be able to be used with ease, so it'd be right at home. Creativity, a Fairy giving life (one way or another) to other Fairies. On both accounts, pretty straightforward though a bit dull tbh.

Balance: 16/20

Creativity: 10/15

Playability: 13/15

Total: 39/50

[spoiler=Dova]

Okay, I had to do a bit of research on Aliens. From what I can gather, A-Counters are typically useful if added to your opponent's monsters. There are some such as Recombination Device that can put them on your monsters, but why? For this card, so it can attack without fearing opponent's Spell/Trap cards? I guess that makes this a useful beater, and the typical use for A-Counters (ATK/DEF decreasing) complements this. But, you'd have to be generating a fair amount of A-Counters to be able to "waste" one on this card. Furthermore, it appears only Recombination Device and Incubator can get A-Counters on this card. Unless you use this card in the mirror-match, this card won't be able to attack easily. The last effect is good, as it searches a useful Spell/Trap for you. Perhaps the only worthwhile effect on this card. Playability, I doubt you'd use this except during the mirror, if that. Creativity, a searcher on a monster for this Archetype is not common. I'll give you that.

Balance: 16/20

Creativity: 12/15

Playability: 7/15

Total: 35/50

[spoiler=Jack Frost (Member Wall)]

What the hell is this? An ATK buff plus a GY avoidance effect? ATK buff, is this really needed? If that's all this card does while on the field (a Level 3 beater), then I'm afraid this won't do. Add a restriction that only allows 1 of these to exist on the field (it's because of the buff, isn't it?), then I'm even more afraid. Quite frankly, the GY avoidance effect is the thing that makes this mildly useful, but can be easily avoided. I don't have much else to say. The effect goes okay with Beast monsters, I guess. But really, that's about it. I get the feeling you just scrapped this together because you knew you'd win the Series anyway.

Balance: 13/20

Creativity: 9/15

Playability: 9/15

Total: 31/50

For this contest (assuming no objections):

1st: Azure Wolf

2nd: Dova

3rd: Member Wall

For the Series (assuming no objections from the contest):

1st: Member Wall (15)

2nd: Azure Wolf (12)

3rd: Eshai (11)