What I want after Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS.

Its a new year, we have some new rules and mechanics in the game, and of course I'm asking that one question that won't be relevant for some years to come, what will Konami do after their done with the Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS Series, specifically what will Konami do with the game, what mechanics could they introduce, and do anything need to changed such as the rules or the game board?

​Personally, what I want to see is the following.

● 1a: If we get another new Extra Deck Monster Card, then I think we could afford to have a total of 6 Extra Monster Zones given to us. I would double the number of "free" Extra Monster Zones from 2 to 4 (players could only control up to 2 of those Zones at a time each), then much like how Konami combined the Pendulum Zones with the farthest right and left Spell & Trap Zones, I would combine the remaining 2 EMZ in the middle of each player's Main Monster Zones and would be guaranteed to them at all times. The reason is to allow older Decks that relied on a certain Special Summon mechanic outside of Link Summoning to have a better chance at keeping up with the meta without having to completely rely on Link Monsters, but you would probably play a few Links anyway.

● 1b: If we get a new Main Deck Monster Card, I would make it so that the turn player could only Normal Summon/Set a monster OR Pendulum Summon a monster(s) during their turn, not both except with card effects (of course). This wouldn't effect any new Summoning mechanic associated with the new Monster Card. I would also allow monsters Pendulum Summoned from the Extra Deck to be Special Summoned to the Main Monster Zone like prior Master Rule 4, but you could also Special Summon to your Extra Monster Zone as well. The reason is to allow specifically Decks that heavily relied on Pendulum Summoning to be viable again as they will have to deal with powercreep each time we get a new Summoning mechanic.

● 2: On each player's first turns only, neither player can conduct a normal draw during the Draw Phase. The reason is for the sake of being fair and as balanced as possible so each player has a decently equal chance as each other of winning the game regardless of who goes first.

3: Decrease the Main Deck Limit to 50, and increase the Extra Deck Limit to 25. The reason for the Main Deck decrease is to give slower Decks a better chance at competing without compromising on the balance. The reason for the Extra Deck increase is because I feel we are overdue for one considering we just got a new Extra Deck Monster (Links) and the more Extra Deck Monsters we get the less space we will have for cards that could be important for lower tiered Decks to keep up.

​(I would only apply ONLY rule 1a or 1b at a time, not both.)

​If you think that I don't know what I'm talking about or that I am toxic to this game or community, please comment below. Thank you.

you are toxic to this game or community

did i do it right?

1a: This strikes me as odd, but not necessarily bad. It's oddly specific, and would do a massive change of how the game functioned, and Synchro spamming decks would have a field day with it. 9 monster zones available to the player? Non-swarming decks would suffer even more, especially if it only had 1 boss monster. I wouldn't have a problem with it, if the cards provided actually compensated for this, like Links, but I can't really comment on how this would actually work out.

1b: No. As a lover of most monster Types, I would hate to see Pendulums get nerfed even more, especially with how much supporting potential they had for old cards at the granted time. Links do it better, but Pendulums had more potential. I would hate to see them be murdered. I can see why you might want this, with your extra granted monster zones, but hard restrictions are annoying.

2: Going first got nerfed. Let's nerf going second in exactly the same way so that all previous changes are moot, and then nerf it even more by removing attacking! Decks need to be ready for OTK style decks; that's what matches are for. I heavily disagree with this too.

3: I really dislike this one as well. Hard locks in games are terrible design choices, and that's why I am somewhat okay with Links. They really limited how spamming decks worked, but then they provided a workaround themselves that said decks had to use and play around. Combined with 1a, this would basically revert all the VRAINS changes, as a player can now SS their max amount of ED monsters without having to rely on Links. In fact, they probably can't even do that, as how are they going to get the Materials for all those monsters? There's no point granting so much extra room, as each player will knock out each others field each turn, or lose if they don't manage to.

The result of all these changes would be a slower game, something I want, but the use of hard rules further restricting a player's potential plays and absolutely destroying decks that rely on SS spamming is horrible, although it does sound like something Konami would do. Pendulums didn't hurt any former ED type, and Links only hurt Pendulums, if that, but there's no telling how much retconning they might do in the future.

I was going to start off with that byootiful comment and then shift into praising your mechanics, but they really caught me off guard with how much I didn't like them. Sorry I didn't have anything better to say.

you are toxic to this game or community

did i do it right?

1a: This strikes me as odd, but not necessarily bad. It's oddly specific, and would do a massive change of how the game functioned, and Synchro spamming decks would have a field day with it. 9 monster zones available to the player? Non-swarming decks would suffer even more, especially if it only had 1 boss monster. I wouldn't have a problem with it, if the cards provided actually compensated for this, like Links, but I can't really comment on how this would actually work out.

1b: No. As a lover of most monster Types, I would hate to see Pendulums get nerfed even more, especially with how much supporting potential they had for old cards at the granted time. Links do it better, but Pendulums had more potential. I would hate to see them be murdered. I can see why you might want this, with your extra granted monster zones, but hard restrictions are annoying.

2: Going first got nerfed. Let's nerf going second in exactly the same way so that all previous changes are moot, and then nerf it even more by removing attacking! Decks need to be ready for OTK style decks; that's what matches are for. I heavily disagree with this too.

3: I really dislike this one as well. Hard locks in games are terrible design choices, and that's why I am somewhat okay with Links. They really limited how spamming decks worked, but then they provided a workaround themselves that said decks had to use and play around. Combined with 1a, this would basically revert all the VRAINS changes, as a player can now SS their max amount of ED monsters without having to rely on Links. In fact, they probably can't even do that, as how are they going to get the Materials for all those monsters? There's no point granting so much extra room, as each player will knock out each others field each turn, or lose if they don't manage to.

The result of all these changes would be a slower game, something I want, but the use of hard rules further restricting a player's potential plays and absolutely destroying decks that rely on SS spamming is horrible, although it does sound like something Konami would do. Pendulums didn't hurt any former ED type, and Links only hurt Pendulums, if that, but there's no telling how much retconning they might do in the future.

I was going to start off with that byootiful comment and then shift into praising your mechanics, but they really caught me off guard with how much I didn't like them. Sorry I didn't have anything better to say.

Let me make some real quick changes, I can see what you mean.

I redid my rules; allowing players to only Normal Summon/Set or Pendulum Summon but you can Pendulum Summon back up to 6 (with rule 1a) or up to 7 (with rule 1b), I nerfed the Draw Phase but not the Battle Phase like before, and I increased both the Main Deck and Extra Deck limits to 75 and 25 respectively.

2. Your reasoning? The reason going first only gets 5 cards instead of 6 is because of the giant ass boards people make, so going second you need that extra card to help break that board and be able to play the game.

3. Same here what's the reason for 75 cards? Not even Grass decks would play it, because they would never funking see Grass. 

Before I comment further, can you explain your reasoning behind all of these choices? You mention this is to stop OTK decks and such, but right now it does seem rather subjective. If you explain why and how you think it would make Yu-Gi-Oh a better game, then I wouldn't create strawmen.

2. Your reasoning? The reason going first only gets 5 cards instead of 6 is because of the giant ass boards people make, so going second you need that extra card to help break that board and be able to play the game.

3. Same here what's the reason for 75 cards? Not even Grass decks would play it, because they would never f***ing see Grass. 

Just listed my reasons if you care

Before I comment further, can you explain your reasoning behind all of these choices? You mention this is to stop OTK decks and such, but right now it does seem rather subjective. If you explain why and how you think it would make Yu-Gi-Oh a better game, then I wouldn't create strawmen.

I just listed some reasons, do you want anymore?

Reasoning for 2: Why not have both players draw a card then? We just had going first nerfed, so why not unerf it rather than nerf it more?

Reasoning for 3: As a player of many casual archetype, I've never found the Deck limit to be a problem. In fact, if I added any more cards over 60, the deck would be so inconsistent as to be completely unplayable, and I even then still have problems with 60 card decks in that regard. As for the Extra Deck...the issue is more with the cards they have, rather than the card they could have. Considering this is more of a storage space akin to side decks, this would boost all decks regardless of their skill. If you don't need an ED, this is more targets for that handtrap that gets rid of specific ED monsters from your opponent, and if you can easily have access to an ED, guess what? More generics! This might make it even harder for casual decks as it would give meta decks more opportunities and options to play around them with.

What are your reasons for 1a and b?

Reasoning for 2: Why not have both players draw a card then? We just had going first nerfed, so why not unerf it rather than nerf it more?

Reasoning for 3: As a player of many casual archetype, I've never found the Deck limit to be a problem. In fact, if I added any more cards over 60, the deck would be so inconsistent as to be completely unplayable, and I even then still have problems with 60 card decks in that regard. As for the Extra Deck...the issue is more with the cards they have, rather than the card they could have. Considering this is more of a storage space akin to side decks, this would boost all decks regardless of their skill. If you don't need an ED, this is more targets for that handtrap that gets rid of specific ED monsters from your opponent, and if you can easily have access to an ED, guess what? More generics! This might make it even harder for casual decks as it would give meta decks more opportunities and options to play around them with.

What are your reasons for 1a and b?

As for not letting players draw, they're are so many cards in the game now that let you take just about any card you need from your Deck and add it to your hand and not drawing them doesn't hurt them plus I think just setting up your field with what you have initially during your first turn is just fine. As for the Extra Deck, I do think we are overdue and if Konami wants to keep giving us ED monsters while supporting older Archetypes that relied on things such as Fusions, Synchros, or etc, then they will have to increase it eventually. I already listed reasons for 1a and 1b.

CHANGE: Went from 75 MD cards to 50.

Just listed my reasons if you care

I just listed some reasons, do you want anymore?

But...going second and drawing an additional card is fair. I can't set up if my opponent has established a full board. I need that additional card to do so. It is not fair if my opponent can stop everything I have to show because they won the die roll. Second player getting a draw phase makes up for this.

Why 50 cards? Your reasoning doesn't make any sense on that lol. 

But...going second and drawing an additional card is fair. I can't set up if my opponent has established a full board. I need that additional card to do so. It is not fair if my opponent can stop everything I have to show because they won the die roll. Second player getting a draw phase makes up for this.

Why 50 cards? Your reasoning doesn't make any sense on that lol. 

Because 50 cards to me seems like its just right for most Decks that aren't built to be super fast but who could have a lot of consistency and a wide array of tactics and its the standard in many other card games like Cardfight Vanguard or Pokémon.

Because 50 cards to me seems like its just right for most Decks that aren't built to be super fast but who could have a lot of consistency and a wide array of tactics and its the standard in many other card games like Cardfight Vanguard or Pokémon.

Just because they work in other card games doesn't mean it works here. Lowering the amount of cards you can have literally doesn't help at all?

"The reason for the Main Deck decrease is to give slower Decks a better chance at competing without compromising on the balance." 

But...they can just build 50 so why need to lower it? It being at 60 doesn't hinder them being able to use 50 cards lol, and if you deck is slow why are you running 50 cards? It hurts your consistency. If your deck is slow lower the amount of cards in it to speed it up lol. I'm really failing to see your logic behind this.

But

Just because they work in other card games doesn't mean it works here. Lowering the amount of cards you can have literally doesn't help at all?

"The reason for the Main Deck decrease is to give slower Decks a better chance at competing without compromising on the balance." 

But...they can just build 50 so why need to lower it? It being at 60 doesn't hinder them being able to use 50 cards lol, and if you deck is slow why are you running 50 cards? It hurts your consistency. If your deck is slow lower the amount of cards in it to speed it up lol. I'm really failing to see your logic behind this.

But

I just personally think a 50 Deck maximum would be beneficial to the game in the long run, it would give Konami a clear way to design large Archetypes by allowing them to access a wide range of effects without having to throw in situational filler cards. As far as consistency is concerned, as I said before Konami keeps making toolbox cards for each Archetype they make now, some of them rely the concept of toolboxing as the main way the Deck works. Konami could also afford to make more generic draw cards (nothing too stupid or broken though), maybe even going as far as putting Pot of Greed back to 1.

I just personally think a 50 Deck maximum would be beneficial to the game in the long run, it would give Konami a clear way to design large Archetypes by allowing them to access a wide range of effects without having to throw in situational filler cards. As far as consistency is concerned, as I said before Konami keeps making toolbox cards for each Archetype they make now, some of them rely the concept of toolboxing as the main way the Deck works. Konami could also afford to make more generic draw cards (nothing too stupid or broken though), maybe even going as far as putting Pot of Greed back to 1.

But if they're designing large archetypes why lower the deck size lol. Draw cards in large decks doesn't make sense because it's filler. Playing pot of greed makes a 50 card deck a 48 card deck so why not play a 48 card deck with pot of greed to make it 46 and so on? I don't see your logic here lol.

But if they're designing large archetypes why lower the deck size lol. Draw cards in large decks doesn't make sense because it's filler. Playing pot of greed makes a 50 card deck a 48 card deck so why not play a 48 card deck with pot of greed to make it 46 and so on? I don't see your logic here lol.

Think Gadgets but larger, they consistently search for other Gadgets and if you add a decent number of draw support you would have an Archetype that could work around either 40 or 50 cards.

Think Gadgets but larger, they consistently search for other Gadgets and if you add a decent number of draw support you would have an Archetype that could work around either 40 or 50 cards.

I think the key point here is that you can already have a 50 card deck, without limitations. Why remove 51-60?

I think the key point here is that you can already have a 50 card deck, without limitations. Why remove 51-60?

Because I have problems with 60 card Decks and I can't figure out why. 40, 45 or even 50 work for me fine, but 60 is where I start to suck, badly.

Because I have problems with 60 card Decks and I can't figure out why. 40, 45 or even 50 work for me fine, but 60 is where I start to suck, badly.

...That's because 60 card decks suck ass dude, 40 is the most consistent number to pump out your plays. If you focus on your deck and stream line out all the filler cards your deck gets more consistent lol

...That's because 60 card decks suck ass dude, 40 is the most consistent number to pump out your plays. If you focus on your deck and stream line out all the filler cards your deck gets more consistent lol

I've been doing that a lot lately before I wrote this, but how about the rest of the rules, like the Extra Deck limit?

Archived