Virtual Regenerating Defenses

Ultimagamer

This was an idea I had, thought it might be interesting, given how little battle traps seem to be run, besides evenly matched. 

Virtual Regenerating Defenses

Spell - Continuous

This card cannot have counters placed onto it by other cards effects. During your end phase, you can place a counter on this card for every monster you control that did not declare an attack this turn. If your opponent would declare an attack, you can remove one counter from this card; negate that attack. If this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can remove one counter instead. You can only control 1 face-up "Virtual Regenerating Defenses".

Good battle traps need to grant field advantage to its user, this not being a trap takes out the surprise factor in exchange for some kind of stun your opponent wouldnt even mind or notice. The card will probably be removed form the field long before the opponent wants or tries o attack. Even with 5-6 counters it does not the opponent from doing their plays

Official Card Grammar (because this is a way I can help)

This card cannot have counters placed onto it by other cards effects. During your end phase, you can place a counter on this card for every monster you control that did not declare an attack this turn. If your opponent would declare an attack, you can remove one counter from this card; negate that attack. If this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can remove one counter instead. You can only control 1 face-up "Virtual Regenerating Defenses".

At the end of the turn, place 1 Counter on this card for each monster you control that did not declare an attack this turn. 

If your opponent would declare an attack, you can remove 1 Counter from this card; negate that attack. 

If this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can remove 1 Counter from this card instead.

You cannot place Counters on this card. 

You can only control 1 face-up "Virtual Regenerating Defenses". 

As for the card itself, it doesn't seem all that fun to play against. I think the idea is cool but all you're doing is stopping both players from attacking, which isn't all that fun to interact with. There's also the problem that it's a "win more" card. If you use it while playing from behind, it doesn't really do anything, but if you have several monsters already on the board and you keep your opponent's attacking to a minimum, it'll be easy to get more than 5 Counters, which basically means your opponent will never attack again unless there's some anime miracle Galaxy Cyclone to stop it. Considering the point of Battle Traps is to stop your opponent when you're at your most desperate, I don't think this card is practical enough on that level. 

I guess if you use Tokens it would be fun though, although if you already have Tokens why do you need more protection from attacks?

Finally, you should give it a particular kind of Counter. If you have a Counter on it that doesn't exist, and have it so you can only use those kinds. Just saying that's a lot more efficient than blatantly stating "you cannot place counters on this card with a card effect".

Official Card Grammar:

Official Card Grammar (because this is a way I can help)

At the end of the turn, place 1 Counter on this card for each monster you control that did not declare an attack this turn. 

If your opponent would declare an attack, you can remove 1 Counter from this card; negate that attack. 

If this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can remove 1 Counter from this card instead.

You cannot place Counters on this card. 

You can only control 1 face-up "Virtual Regenerating Defenses". 

As for the card itself, it doesn't seem all that fun to play against. I think the idea is cool but all you're doing is stopping both players from attacking, which isn't all that fun to interact with. There's also the problem that it's a "win more" card. If you use it while playing from behind, it doesn't really do anything, but if you have several monsters already on the board and you keep your opponent's attacking to a minimum, it'll be easy to get more than 5 Counters, which basically means your opponent will never attack again unless there's some anime miracle Galaxy Cyclone to stop it. Considering the point of Battle Traps is to stop your opponent when you're at your most desperate, I don't think this card is practical enough on that level. 

I guess if you use Tokens it would be fun though, although if you already have Tokens why do you need more protection from attacks?

Finally, you should give it a particular kind of Counter. If you have a Counter on it that doesn't exist, and have it so you can only use those kinds. Just saying that's a lot more efficient than blatantly stating "you cannot place counters on this card with a card effect".

Official Card Grammar:

good point, I guess in this aspect it's a more situationally better version of swords of revealing light, given that swords guarantees at least 3 turns of no attacks if it remains on the field. The specific counter thing is a good idea, given the wording on the card. Maybe something like Defense Counters.

Archived