Circus Rank-Up ( Welcome to the most terrifying show you've ever seen! )

Ultimagamer

This is an archetype idea I had based off of the swarming capability of raidraptors and their rank up, along with the creepy, nightmarish aesthetic of gimmick puppets, but on a more powerful scale with more swarming and more spell and monster consistency. Please tell me what you think, I'm hoping to improve it in time.

Circus Performer - Simple Clown

Level 4 / Fiend / Dark

1700 attack / 1000 defense

If this card is summoned, you can add 1 “Circus Performer” monster from your deck to your hand. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect you can shuffle 1 “Circus Performer” monster from your Graveyard into your deck, then draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of “Circus Performer - Simple Clown” once per turn.

Circus Performer - Trapeze Artist

Level 4 / Fiend / Dark

1200 attack / 1000 defense

Once per turn, during the turn this card was normal summoned, you can special summon 1 “Circus Performer” monster from your hand. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can add 1 “Circus” rank-up spell card from your deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Circus Performer - Trapeze Artist” once per turn.

Circus Performer - Acrobatic Artist

Level 4 / Fiend / Dark

1500 attack / 1000 defense

During your main phase if you control 2 or more “Circus” monsters you can special summon this card from your hand. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can send 1 “Circus” card from your deck to your Graveyard. You can only use this effect of “Circus Performer - Acrobatic Artist” once per turn.

Circus Performer - Dancing Crew

Level 4 / Fiend / Dark

1000 attack / 1000 defense

If this card is special summoned, you can target 1 “Circus Performer” monster in your Graveyard; special summon that target. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can special summon this card. You can only use this effect of “Circus Performer - Dancing Crew” once per turn.

Circus Performer - Tightrope Traverser

Level 4 / Fiend / Dark

1600 attack / 1000 defense

When this card is summoned, you can add 1 “Rank-Up” card from your Graveyard to your hand, then draw 1 card. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can shuffle any number of “Circus” spell and/or trap cards from your Graveyard into your deck. You can only use this effect of “Circus Performer - TIghtrope Traverser” once per turn

Circus Performer - Elephant Tamer

Level 4 / Fiend / Dark

1900 attack / 1000 defense

When this card is summoned, you can target 1 Monster on the field, destroy that target. You must control another “Circus” monster to activate and resolve this effect. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can add 1 “Circus” spell or trap from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Circus Performer - Elephant Tamer” once per turn.

Circus Performer - Lion Tamer

Level 4 / Fiend / Dark

1900 attack / 1000 defense

If this card is summoned, you can target 1 Spell or Trap card on the field, destroy that target. You must control another “Circus” monster to activate and resolve this effect. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can add 1 “Circus” monster from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Circus Performer - Lion Tamer” once per turn.

Rank-Up-Magic - Circus Ascension

Spell - Quickplay

Activate by targeting 1 “Circus” Xyz monster you control. Special summon 1 “Circus” Xyz monster that is 1 rank higher than that monster using that monster as Xyz material ( xyz materials attached to that monster become xyz materials on the summoned monster ). While this card is in your Graveyard, if a “Circus” monster you control has an Xyz monster attached to it as an Xyz material, that monster cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent’s card effects.

Rank-Up-Magic - Circus Achieving

Spell - Normal

Activate by target 1 “Circus” Xyz monster you control. Special summon 1 “Circus” Xyz monster that is 1 rank higher than that monster using that monster as XYz material ( xyz materials attached to that monster become xyz materials on the summoned monster ), then attach this card to the summoned monster as an Xyz material. While this card is attached to a monster as an Xyz material, that monster cannot be destroyed or banished by an opponent’s cards or effects.

Circus Over-Promoting

Spell - Quickplay

Activate by tributing 1 “Circus” monster you control. Special summon 1 “Circus” monster from your extra deck with a similar name to the tributed monster. Return the monster special summoned by this effect to the extra deck during the end phase. You can only activate 1 “Circus Over-Promoting” per turn.

Circus, Showhouse of the Century

Spell - Field

When this card is activated, shuffle any number of cards from your deck into your hand, then add the same number of “Circus” cards from your deck to your hand. During your main phase, you can normal summon 1 “Circus” monster in addition to your normal summon. If this card is destroyed by an opponent’s card effect, you can shuffle 1 “Circus” card from your Graveyard into the deck; add this card from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only activate 1 “Circus, Showhouse of the Century” per turn.

Circus Boss - Lead Clown

Xyz / Fiend / Dark

Rank 4 - 2 level 4 “Circus” monsters

2200 attack / 1800 defense

When this card is Xyz summoned, you can target 1 “Circus” card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card and target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy that target. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can return this card to your extra deck.

Circus Boss - Trapeze Master

Xyz / Fiend / Dark

Rank 5 - 2 Level 5 Dark Monsters

2400 attack / 2000 defense

If this card is Xyz summoned using a Rank-Up spell card, this card gains the following effects. Once per turn, you can detach one Xyz material from this card; shuffle 1 card from both players Graveyards into the deck, then draw 2 cards. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can return this card to your extra deck.

Circus Boss - Acrobatic Master

Xyz / Fiend / Dark

Rank 6 - 2 Level 6 Dark Monsters

2600 attack / 2200 defense

If this card is Xyz summoned using a Rank-Up spell card, this card gains the following effects. Once per turn, you can detach one Xyz material from this card (quick effect); send 1 card from your deck to your Graveyard, and if you do; target 1 card your opponent controls, shuffle that card into the deck. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can return this card to your extra deck.

Circus Boss - Dancing Machine

Xyz / Fiend / Dark

Rank 7 - 2 Level 7 Dark Monsters

2800 attack / 2400 defense

If this card is Xyz summoned using a Rank-Up spell card, this card gains the following effects. Once per turn, you can detach one Xyz material from this card, special summon 1 Level 4 or lower Fiend type monster in your Graveyard. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect; you can return this card to your extra deck.

Circus Boss - Tightrope Weaver

Xyz / Fiend / Dark

Rank 8 - 2 Level 8 Dark Monsters

3000 attack / 2600 defense

If this card is Xyz summoned using a Rank-Up spell card, this card gains the following effects. Once per turn, you can detach one Xyz material from this card, destroy all monsters your opponent controls, and if you do, special summon “Circus” monsters from your Graveyard equal to the amount of monsters destroyed by this card’s effect. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can return this card to your extra deck.

Circus Boss - Elephant Controller

Xyz / Fiend / Dark

Rank 9 - 2 Level 9 Dark Monsters

3500 attack / 3200 defense

If this card is summoned with a Rank-Up spell card, this card gains the following effects. If your opponent would activate a spell or trap card, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card; negate the activation, then shuffle that card into the deck. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can return this card to your extra deck.

Circus Boss - Lion Master

Xyz / Fiend / Dark

Rank 10 - 2 Level 10 Dark Monsters

4000 attack / 3800 defense

If this card is summoned with a Rank-Up spell card, this card gains the following effects. If your opponent would normal or special summon a monster(s) whose levels or ranks are equal to or lower than a monster you control, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card; negate that summon, then shuffle that card(s) into the deck. If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can return this card to your extra deck.

Circus Master - Overseer of the Chaos

Xyz / Fiend / Dark

Rank 11- 2 Level 11 Dark Monsters

4200 attack / 4000 defense

If this card is summoned with a “Circus” Rank-Up spell card, this card gains the following effects. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card; apply 1 of the following effects

• Banish all spell and trap cards your opponent controls facedown

• Banish all monsters your opponent controls facedown

• Look at your opponent’s extra deck, then banish 3 cards out of it.

If this card is detached from a “Circus” Xyz monster and sent to the Graveyard to activate that monsters effect, you can return this card to your extra deck.

Circus Master - Grand Boss of the Show

Xyz / Fiend / Dark

Rank 12 - 2 Level 12 Dark Monsters

4500 attack / 4200 defense

If this card is summoned with a “Circus” Rank-Up spell card, this card gains the following effects. This card is unaffected by all other card effects. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card; apply 1 of the following effects

• Shuffle all cards your opponent controls into the deck

• Return all cards your opponent controls to their hand, then discard an equal number of cards from their hand

• Banish 2 random cards from your opponent’s hand face down, then draw 2 cards

During the turn you activate the effect of “Circus Master - Grand Boss”, you cannot conduct your battle phase.

Ok, so, we kinda already have Circus-theme Archetypes, especially from the Arc-V era, like Abyss Actors or Performages, but that doesn't matter much. Except the fact that they're DARK Fiends, and that basically makes them Abyss Actors part 2.

Simple Clown is a basic searcher, so not much to say here. The GY effect is ok, I'd just add a "shuffle 1 "Circus Perfomer" except "CP - Simple Clown", otherwise it's a free +1. Anyway, depending on how good are the swarming capabilities of the Archetype, you might want to change to "shuffle 2 CPs". Usually the recycling stuff is "shuffle 3, draw 1".

Trapeze Artist is a little different than "NS, SS a CP from your hand", so that's great. I'm not good at OCG, but remember to capitalize Normal Summon, Special Summon, Deck and more stuff. Also, GY instead of Graveyard is just easier to read. Anyway, I like this one.

Acrobatic Artist is ok. Also, if you'd put which card you're supposed to mill, that would've been great. I mean, monsters don't have GY effects (except if detached), and the only one you might want to mill is Ascension. Edit: mill a Dancing Crew and start your combo.

Dancing Crew might have a flaw, like, if you have proper set-up in the GY (maybe late game) you just need to SS this, then SS another Crew, repeat, and get another CP. That's 4 monsters on the field, and remember if you Xyz Summon them you get to revive another monster due to its GY effect. Maybe a HOPT on the first effect too?

Tightrope Traverser requires set-up, but it's a +1. Also, the GY effect is way worse than the other monsters' ones, I mean, you're not even getting a card out of all that shuffling. The HOPT is totally unnecessary here.

Elephant Tamer is a good idea for removal. It targets, so it's ok. The GY effect is a worse Tightrope, but I guess it's ok, if you start Ranking Up.

Lion Tamer is basically Elephant's counterpart, I love that.

Circus Ascension is a basic rank-up card that also gives protection. I don't have enough Rank-Up experience to say if there are generic better cards than this one, but it looks fine.

Circus Achieving gives a free material to the monster. In a way, it's better than Ascension because due to Link Format you'll have just one Xyz, thus making the GY effect of Ascension work on only one Xyz. Anyway, you want to run 3 copies of both of them anyway.

Over-Promoting is... weird, what does "with a similar name" mean? Just rearrange the names like "Circus Boss - Master of .." if you want this to work on Masters. But I wouldn't suggest going from Rank 5 to Rank 10.

Showhouse is definitely broken. I mean. There must be a mistake. Shuffle from Deck to the hand, what. I'll assume it says "from GY to your Deck". If that's the case, you have 2 other recycling options, so you might want to either change this or change them. Also, it's a potential +20 in late game, like, think about it. You shuffle any number of cards, and they'll be Circus Cards, then search: basically, add your entire GY to your hand. Wait, better, because you get to search which cards to add. Nope, this needs a huge nerf, IMO.

Lead Clown is okay, I guess, even though it might be op for its level. Add, removal, and trigger a monster's GY effect? Idk. Testing's required here.

Trapeze Master again, recycling. Also, +2. I get maybe ranking-up might be quite diffcult, but...

Acrobatic Master is way worse than Clown and Trapeze. A higher Rank usually means better effect, but I'd rather see this effect on a lower Rank monster.

Dancing Machine is just a little unneeded swarming. Link Format: one Xyz monster at time. I mean, it has the same problem as the Rank 6. It does nothing compared to how difficult it is to Summon.

Tightrope Weaver has finally a good effect. Raigeki + Swarming. That's great. Also, you've already used 4 Rank-Up cards to get this, it's more than balanced.

Elephant Controller is totally useless. I mean, if you get to Rank 9, that means you already have a huge advantage. This doesn't have an effect when Summoned, and has to wait for the opponent to do something.

Lion Master is ok, but again, you're not even playing on your turn anymore. Rank-Ups should try getting to the higher they can during their turn, not passively wait for the opponent's turn.

Overseer gives some options, but at this point, you may want to have a "add a "Circus" Spell card from your GY to your hand" to get to the Rank 12.

Grand Boss please, buff it. After all that hard work, you can't conduct the Battle Phase? You don't have a "Summon a XYZ Monster 3 Ranks higher", so you don't have to worry about the Rank 10 and above to be op. Unless Over-Promoting does exactly that and I didn't get it.

Overall, you have good combos to do with this Archetype. I'm just worried you'll never reach higher than Rank 7/8.

Not entirely crazy as an Archetype, it does nothing during the opponent's turn, and that may ruin all of your work.

good bubbles, only I could botch the wording on a field spell so hard, the intent of the first effect is "shuffle your HAND into your DECK then search the cards" not the deck into the hand.

overpromoting was intended to be a cross between cattle call and nex without the restrictions of nex. These were the intended targets

1. Simple Clown - Lead Clown

2. Trapeze Artist - Trapeze Master

3. Acrobatic Artist - Acrobatic Master

4. Dancing Crew - Dancing Machine

5. Tightrope Traverser - Tightrope Weaver

6. Elephant Tamer - Elephant Controller

7. Lion Tamer - Lion Master

it's one of the main reasons I didn't make the higher up ranks as powerful, given that a card that allows for more easier access was created, much like last strix for raid raptors, tributing into a rank 8 and ranking up into ultimate falcon. If it's too powerful or show be removed it definitely can be. I'm not sure though

Archived