Complaints Go Here

For actually providing discussion, my "complaint" if you will, is that there is no visible leader for the staff team and thus no one is held accountable for shitty actions.

Therefore I suggest creating a new group for Head Mod or even just using the pre-existing Admin group and promoting a member within the staff team to act as lead (or even vote on someone external if appropriate) I had this suggestion before with a decent amount of traction but was pretty much entirely ignored by the staff team, it may seem superficial to you guys but to the general populous it may actually improve in some areas, and to stop a monopoly occuring you could even put in place guidelines that a new head mod/admin is elected every 3/6 months.

I can't exactly get behind this. For one we'd have to pick out someone to do this and, to be blunt, I'm unsure anyone currently on the team should be our "lead" besides Flame who is a gentle and chill soul and I don't think really...wants to be in that spot. (He totally would be the leader of any of us though, if it comes to choosing one)

I mean if he wants to then I've been assuming he's the lead already lol. Oh, I disagree with calling them Admin 100% though that's for sure. They'd suddenly get bombarded with people asking for changes that he can't actually make especially due to how many suggestions "need an admin".

But I'm willing to consider if...just would want to know what you think a "head mod" should do? If its just a title then it's a bit misleading. If it's just someone to take the blame, f'it, I'll do it. Send me all your flaming PMs lol

Though I kinda prefer that the mods that actually make the decisions come forward and take the "blame", which has happened in a few cases recently. I'm worried I'm misunderstanding your suggestion though so if you could give me a list of what a "head mod" would do It'd be much easier to consider it.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without a Leader, there is no plan of progression or understanding who takes charge of situations, it turns into a free-for-all and usually, the overall consensus of a situation is decided on who has the most arms to bear.

A leadership role would entail managing the staff team into a unit rather than a rag-tag group of people and be the overall defining decision maker on things that require it (if an otherwise majority consensus cannot be reached between the staff team), putting in place new documentation that is required with the appropriate level of content that is required, disciplining staff members who are being nitwits, managing complaints and dealing with them as appropriately and just being a Leader, someone who is willing to take charge of a situation and not be afraid that people are going to "dislike" him because a decision is unpopular.

It's not about taking the brunt of blame, but about taking blame and directing it to the appropriate people and managing a wide variety of tasks that are deemed appropriate, there are numerous things I would consider putting in place and I'm not even here half the time, I'm sure someone appropriate would have way more ideas.

And I would agree, I can't think of anyone in the staff team I would consider being an effective leader, which is a separate issue...

the idea of a singular team leader is not one unique to tormented, and was briefly brought up already in this thread.

As I said then, Flame Dragon is the team leader. He has personally resolved every single mod-member conflict over the past year. Compare that to the other supers, who are either inactive and literally posted a sentimental goodbye status the other day, or are Sakura.

Giving him another title feels a bit redundant in my eyes, and just creates an even more confusing hierarchy. Unless there is a mechanical reason Sakura should be a super (which I honestly believe to be a completely fair justification) I think that Flame should be the only super.

Flame Dragon is the only one really leading the team, and the fact that he is leading them toward improvement only further probes the point.

Says who though? Has he been elected by the masses? Or has he been elected to lead the team by the team?

If 3 ranks are confusing hierarchy to you, I'm concerned. Saying Flame is the leader is all well and good, but until that is literally the case it's just wishful thinking.

I'm not fully sure a separate leader is truly needed. It kind of adds...more steps to things. Like, as it is now, any mod can post ideas or suggestions and whichever mods have opinions/are around can weigh in on them. I get the idea of being able to go to someone specific for things but I also feel it makes it difficult if that person happens to not be logged on all the time.

Though as of right now Flame kind of already is our leader in most regards.

(standard note of it being almost 6 AM so I might not be getting things totally right)

Depends on the definition of being truly needed, but what is the harm in trying? Will the world greatly change if we trial a new role? 

And I disagree, just because someone isn't there every waking hour of the day, doesn't mean that there is no need for them, I'm not saying get them to decide on EVERYTHING moreso if a situation requires a final decision, someone is able to make that decision.

As I outlined, it being a free-for-all seems like a clusterfuck to me, especially when no one really makes a decision, It'll just kinda get acted upon not necessarily actioned because someone in charge wanted it as such, no wonder changes happen at random intervals and people seem to be out of the loop sometimes, the moderator team has consistently had visually difference opinions on a situation and it ends up being externally visible for all to see.

To, uh, part the veil a little I'm going to explain some of my experience in the mod forum.

I'm going to give a recent example. The Status rules. I posted a thread about updating/making them official and several days later after the majority of mods discussed what would work we posted them with the reminder to bring up any issues members have with them.

Likewise with Poll rules we, funnily enough, had three different thoughts on what we preferred to be done. We've more/less finalized it and came to a decision we're all okay with, and are now just making sure it looks alright to present to the forum.

Basically what I'm saying is that it might seem like just a free-for-all clusterfuck but as of late we've been getting closer to a more cohesive discussion style. My worry is adding this right now might make things unstable.

I'm in no way opposed to glorious leader Flame but I am not sure it's something that would actually...help in the way outlined.

Let's say a discussion happens and no resolution can be made between the staff team, what happens then? The only way I see promoting a staff member to taking a leadership role is people being afraid that their position is going to be challenged (which I don't even see happening currently anyway)

I just don't see what the arguments against it are, that it might confuse people? If that's the case those people are beyond help if anything it would make it easier to determine who is actually in charge.

I mean if we stagnate for too long just because we're split on a topic I, or any mod, can just vote on the other side to get it over with I don't think it's really a problem, personally. I haven't had to deal with an even split yet but if it comes up then it should be easy enough to concede to let...something happen.

Edit: this would only be if we literally cannot decide and it is stalling for too long.

I mean if we stagnate for too long just because we're split on a topic I, or any mod, can just vote on the other side to get it over with I don't think it's really a problem, personally. I haven't had to deal with an even split yet but if it comes up then it should be easy enough to concede to let...something happen.

Edit: this would only be if we literally cannot decide and it is stalling for too long.

So someone would have to concede their opinion on a subject? That seems odd.

Still, I've said how I stand on the subject, I don't think the staff team has anything to lose by promoting a visual leader and has much to potentially gain.

I support Tormented's idea: a Moderator that stands up over the rest would give the forum some sense of direction, as well as hierarchy to the team, and would also give the community someone to go to when a situation, subject, topic, issue, etc. goes beyond a mod's jurisdiction. Either a higher position than Super Mod, or just 1 Super Mod should do the trick, IMO.

As of now, and also anwering something Flame Dragon asked in the first pages of this thread, I also consider him the honorary leader of the mod team.

On another topic, please speak to Hina in regards to her literature suggestion, I've spoken to her about it and it's a fantastic idea, I just do not want her idea getting swept under the rug.

I will be going back to read your other posts in this thread shortly, but I wanted to let you know that both Dad and myself have talked to her, and we are completely on board with it. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Giving him another title feels a bit redundant in my eyes, and just creates an even more confusing hierarchy. Unless there is a mechanical reason Sakura should be a super (which I honestly believe to be a completely fair justification) I think that Flame should be the only super.

Flame Dragon is the only one really leading the team, and the fact that he is leading them toward improvement only further probes the point.

dYKQrxC.png?1

Hold it!

The mods and members alike have agreed that restructuring is needed. As Tormy says, there's really no harm in trying it out, and, given that we know Flame will be the one, there's absolutely no risk involved. It's  just trying something out to see if it works, and it could prove really helpful.

So someone would have to concede their opinion on a subject? That seems odd.

Still, I've said how I stand on the subject, I don't think the staff team has anything to lose by promoting a visual leader and has much to potentially gain.

Exactly this. I don't have a single issue with the idea, considering we wanted restructuring, anyway. It may add an extra step to sorting things out, but there's always a defacto leader, with it being Night, Evilfusion, and Flame at different times. Putting a title on it just makes it more apparent. 

Says who though? Has he been elected by the masses? Or has he been elected to lead the team by the team?

If 3 ranks are confusing hierarchy to you, I'm concerned. Saying Flame is the leader is all well and good, but until that is literally the case it's just wishful thinking.

He has been elected by... opinion, really. He's the person people feel most comfortable with as a leader out of the current team. Maybe someone off-team could do it, but that qould require time for them to get used to moderation before taking the reigns. So Flame's about the only choice there is.

As I outlined, it being a free-for-all seems like a clusterfuck to me, especially when no one really makes a decision, It'll just kinda get acted upon not necessarily actioned because someone in charge wanted it as such, no wonder changes happen at random intervals and people seem to be out of the loop sometimes, the moderator team has consistently had visually difference opinions on a situation and it ends up being externally visible for all to see.

It can kinda be clunky. For example, when I was off cooking dinner yesterday, I kept checking the mod forum because I was a little worried that discussion on a topic was getting away from me between 2-3 other members discussing it. Fervor is well and good, but that has the potential to leading to something occuring without it truly being agreed on.

Now, in this particular case, everything seems to have worked out. But, regardless of who got elected, this sort of thing is something I wanted to be important to them.

The team has a history of digging its heels in to match that action as well, in an act of solidarity, even if they disagree with it. In such cases, I would value blunt honesty, such as with Enguin's 1-week ban in summer, as opposed to attempting to keep a poor decision in place in order to appear united. In fact, I did tell people that Evilfusion wasn't on board with it, and it ended up making the whole thing less explosive.

I agree that on the whole, the team should be unified. I simply don't believe it should put up a unified front in regards to certain things like that. Even if the mod isn't public with being scolded or apologizing for their actions, though I'd prefer such, it's best to have a leader who can handle the situation... As you said.

The team needs to go a bit slower at times, and it needs to have someone to hold its actions accountable. To slow down processes enough to have them done the proper way. While I can't say I'm 100% confident in Flame in this regard, I do believe in his potential to be a leader, especially after seeing some times he took charge in the mod forum.

EDIT: oops double post

shrug

the idea of a singular team leader is not one unique to tormented, and was briefly brought up already in this thread.

As I said then, Flame Dragon is the team leader. He has personally resolved every single mod-member conflict over the past year. Compare that to the other supers, who are either inactive and literally posted a sentimental goodbye status the other day, or are Sakura.

Pretty much this. Another title would be redundant, so instead of having a "Head Mod", maybe redefine what a Super Moderator means so the role serves that purpose.

I see the merit in both sides of the argument here, feeling mostly ambivalent on the issue.

If I had to pick, I'd say go for it and try out the Head Mod title. Like everyone's said, Flame's basically already that and we've had evilfusion and Night be figureheads in the past and that mostly worked out. If he's cool with it.

If the Head Mod idea doesn't go anywhere, then I'd say redefine/officially define the expectations of a Super Mod like Roxas said.

I don't know why people keep reading it as me suggesting no change be made. I'm suggesting flame be the only super. It isn't that I think 3 kinds of mods would be confusing, but three kinds when two of them only have 1 each is just distributed a bit weird. The role Sakura takes on the team is not really one of leadership, which was what super mods were meant to become when the position was restructured years ago to place LZ, Night, and Evilfusion in it.

And yet again, I reiterate that if one of the additional forum permissions given by super moderator is one that Sakura uses to significantly contribute to the forum, it makes perfect sense for him to stay in the role, with flame being elevated to a new one.

When I said flame was already the leader, it wasn't a call for inaction. It was pointing out the objectively correct choice for the role.

I don't know why people keep reading it as me suggesting no change be made. I'm suggesting flame be the only super. It isn't that I think 3 kinds of mods would be confusing, but three kinds when two of them only have 1 each is just distributed a bit weird. The role Sakura takes on the team is not really one of leadership, which was what super mods were meant to become when the position was restructured years ago to place LZ, Night, and Evilfusion in it.

And yet again, I reiterate that if one of the additional forum permissions given by super moderator is one that Sakura uses to significantly contribute to the forum, it makes perfect sense for him to stay in the role, with flame being elevated to a new one.

When I said flame was already the leader, it wasn't a call for inaction. It was pointing out the objectively correct choice for the role.

Fair enough, I think it originally came off you denying the potential for the role because of the reasons listed and not you actually promoting the idea of it.

We actually already have 3 levels

Mod 

Super Mod

Admin

Evil mentioned he could promote himself to Admin, just have flame do that if he must

As much as I have problems with Sakura.exe, he's super involved in the site, and knows how to do sheet that most of the rest of us don't. He does what a super does

One of those many underlying problems is that our admin is absent and there's things only he can fix. He pops in once a year for revenues' sake then vanishes.

I agree that Flame is our defacto leader. But there are many things Sakura does better when compared to Flame. They compliment each other. I think maybe changing Flame's title (as you all recommended) would be more appropriate. If he can promote himself to admin somehow, he'd certainly have my support.

Mods making themselves admins in the past hasn't exactly gone well.

Additionally, I think someone, well, Flame, could be the official team leader without a designated member group. When it's current, the staff thread up in news is pretty useful for this kind of thing.

Mods making themselves admin then deleting YCMaker while emulating Robespierre hasn't gone well...agreed

One of those many underlying problems is that our admin is absent and there's things only he can fix. He pops in once a year for revenues' sake then vanishes.

I agree that Flame is our defacto leader. But there are many things Sakura does better when compared to Flame. They compliment each other. I think maybe changing Flame's title (as you all recommended) would be more appropriate. If he can promote himself to admin somehow, he'd certainly have my support.

Agreed, and I'm no fan of Sakura

Flame is the defacto admin. Either demote Sakura and night or promote Flame. Pref the latter.

Night should get a demo regardless

Archived