New Staff Member Election

BANZAI!!!!

I wasn’t quite sure if C&S was where this should go, but screw it.

So, we've been talking this over in the mod forum for the past couple of days, and we've decided to promote a new moderator. Wait, did I say promote? I meant Elect. No BS this time, we want to hold an election for a new moderator.

Now a couple of things that I'm sure you're all wondering:

What kind of position will this new staff member fill?

None! Ok, not quite, but the spot isn't going to be for a specific section. We need more voices on the team; more opinions, and more manpower to properly keep things running smoothly. No specific expertise necessary, just a good, level head and the work ethic to get sheet done.

So who are the candidates? You tell us! We want the community to nominate users for this spot, after which the team will vet the list and put candidates up for a site-wide vote in which everyone (including us) will participate. We haven't worked out the specific schedule yet, but expect everything to be over and done with in a couple of weeks at most.

This probably won’t be the only change the team makes this year, either, but consider this a first step toward us cleaning ourselves up.

EDIT: We newsbois nao

Edit 2 (FD): Nomination standing as of post 125

Edit 3 (FD): Nominations updated for post 201

[spoiler=Nomination Standings]

Bird and Fusion listed for posterity only.

For shorthand/recognition purposes:

(◊) is Parentheses

' is Speedroid

A Bigass Colony is ABC

bury the year is Rinne

Darj is Voltex

I S A A C is Snatch Steal

Lambdadelta is Hina

Kazooie is Bree is Bird is Birdie

Kokichi Oma is Black (G A S P)

Mitch-Arei-Gensou-Engi-tan is Mitch

Order Mario is Saiku

"The Timekeepr" is Dae

The Timekeepr is Striker

White is Winter

W I R E D is Halu

Parenthesis: 14 (+1)

• Page 1: Speedroid, Thar, ABC, Yui, (Parenthesis)
  • Page 2: Lord CowCow, VCR_CAT
  • Page 3: Chaotic Angel, Rinne
  • Page 6: The Nyx Avatar
  • Page 7: Winter, Sleepy, Striker
  • Page 8: Phantom Roxas
  • Page 10: Fusion
Lord CowCow: 12 (+1)
  • Page 1: Parentheses, J-Max, Black
  • Page 2: VCR_CAT, Dova, (Lord CowCow)
  • Page 3: Chaotic Angel
  • Page 6: Tesability Black, Winter, The Nyx Avatar
  • Page 7: Sleepy, Striker, ShimoHkun1
Yui: 12
  • Page 1: Darj
  • Page 2: Lord CowCow, VCR_CAT, Chaos Sonic, Dova, J-Max
  • Page 6: Tesability Black, The Nyx Avatar
  • Page 7: Kid Gambino, ShimoHkun1, mido9
Black: 11 (+1)
  • Page 1: Parenthesis, Winter, Yui, Halu, (Black)
  • Page 4: Sunshine Jesse
  • Page 6: Krow
  • Page 7: Kid Gambino, ShimoHkun1
Sleepy: 8
  • Page 1: Parentheses, Darj
  • Page 2: VCR_CAT
  • Page 6: The Nyx Avatar
  • Page 7: Kid Gambino, ShimoHkun1
  • Page 9: Winter
  • Page 10: Polaris
Chaos Sonic: 5 (+1)
  • Page 2: (Chaos Sonic)
  • Page 3: Chaotic Angel
  • Page 5: Tesability Black, Saiku
  • Page 10: Fusion, Winter
Fusion: 5 - BOWED OUT
  • Page 1: Parentheses, Yui
  • Page 2: Hina
  • Page 4: Phantom Roxas, Sunshine Jesse
Hina: 5 (+1)
  • Page 2: Winter, Halu, (Hina)
  • Page 4: Sunshine Jesse
  • Page 7: Snatch Steal
Kazooie: 5 - BOWED OUT
  • Page 1: ABC, Yui
  • Page 3: Rinne
Sunshine Jesse: 5 (+1)
  • Page 2: Winter, Mitch
  • Page 4: (Sunshine Jesse)
  • Page 5: Phantom Roxas
  • Page 8: vla1ne
  • Page 9: Speedroid
Darj: 4 (+1)
  • Page 1: Mitch, (Darj)
  • Page 2: Dova
  • Page 7: Sleepy
Tesability Black: 4 (+1)
  • Page 4: (Tesability Black)
  • Page 9: Winter, Speedroid
  • Page 11: Chaotic Angel
J-Max: 3 (+1)
  • Page 2: Halu, (J-Max)
  • Page 4: Phantom Roxas
Striker: 3 (+1)
  • Page 1: Halu
  • Page 7: (Striker)
Dova: 2 - BOWED OUT
  • Page 2: VCR_CAT, Speedroid
Catterjune: 1
Krow: 1 (+1)
  • Page 3: (Krow)
  • Page 5: Death Metal
Saiku: 1
  • Page 2: Chaos Sonic
Tormented: 1
  • Page 8: Speedroid
VCR_CAT: 1 (+1?)
  • Page 3: (VCR_CAT?)
Snatch Steal: 0 (+1)
  • Page 7: (Snatch Steal)
SK79LinkXyz: -1
  • Page 3: (-SK79LinkXyz)
-----

This should be the complete list. If I have missed someone, perhaps due to being a nominee who was newly introduced that I missed while scanning, please let me know, so that I may fix it.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thinking of a name i see around but doesn't stand out too much, i nominate darj. he seems sociable and level-headed enough from the posts i've seen of him that he should be able to function in the team, and he'd be able to work in the ygo-related sections unlike members who come here and don't play the game(me) since this is apparently a general mod position so if they at least know enough to handle that section then it's a plus as far as i'm concerned, and i'm not completely sure but i could've sworn he had some kind of position on this site before.

we have literally never talked as far as i remember so you might feel a little creeped out by the sudden nomination but well, i guess, take it as a sign that i'm not being biased when i say it (although it also means i don't know your character enough to make a solid nomination). and i like the idea of someone who's not too heavily involved in the dramas here getting power.

krow 4 best mod

I nominate Parentheses. It's clear from the way that he speaks that he has a plan for YCM. Now we just need to trust in him and give him the power he needs to enact it.

I can agree with that. Based on the way he stated his opinion on the thread discussing my return, he seems to be set in stone about some issues and he's not shy about sharing it. Granted he can be a tad too upfront at times, though I've never seen him hit a breaking point where he just loses his cool.

Though tbf, I've been gone for about a year so I'm not really the best judge of character in that regard.

As for others, I'm not sure. Hell, it's hard enough deciding who SHOULDN'T be a mod.

Iirc, () said that he doesn't want to be mod. If I'm wrong/he changed his mind/whatever, then yeah, I'd get behind that.

In fact I did say that.

When I said it, of course, I was infinitely more occupied. I had an outside commitment that pretty much made me not want to take on any new responsibility, at risk of jeopardizing that one. That commitment has since ended, so as far as time and devotion goes, I'm totally fine being on the team.

The other thing holding me back was the overwhelming lack of cooperation from the team, but honestly over the last week they have been predominantly fantastic, and more or less changed my mind on whether working with them is even possible.

That said, I don't currently have a computer. Every once in a while I can use one, but for the last month (and for at least another month) my use of the site is pretty much limited to mobile access. I don't know how much that would hamper me in my ability to be a mod, but it is something to consider. Even on mobile I'm one of the most active users, but as far as I know, mod duties just don't work on mobile. Who knows? Well, the mods, so I'm asking them. Is being a mod more difficult on mobile than being a member?

Even with all that, being a mod has never really been my goal. I just want someone(s) on staff who are more willing to question the team, or at least be more sympathetic toward members. If people want me, and the staff doesn't think my limit to mobile is crippling, I'll totally do it, but I'm not the only option by any means.

Sleepy is a member I brought up shortly after birdie and zai were promoted. She is probably the most friendly person here, is active in various sections, and from everything I've seen just has a desire to make other people happy.

Fusion should be a mod, and everyone knows it. His post in the recent thread just drives it home. A year ago, he was too busy, but if he is able to now, I'd love to see him on the roster.

Black is willing to put more time and energy into improving this site than literally any other human being. He has had some issues in the past, but his ability as a mod is not to be overlooked. Plus, frankly, he's a cooler dude than he was a year ago.

Cowcow is someone who I'm surprised didn't become a mod years ago. Though not as much as in the past, he is a sort of icon on the site, and works constantly to improve it. He has spent time and effort PMing mods over the last year to resolve issues, and at this point I don't know why he wasn't promoted in December, if not sooner.

I might have more names. This site has a lot of people willing to work to make it better. Everyone has their own faults and weaknesses, and that's not to be overlooked, but there are a lot of people that have been written off by members or staff for this reason or that, when they could do the site a great service. If people want me, and my lack of computer isn't a deal breaker, I'll totally do it, but there are plenty of people I'm sure would do great on the staff.

*2017 flashbacks intensify*

Not sure how I feel about another straight-up election (even if it is precisely what's on the tin this time), but if y'all think it'll go better this time I'm not about to doubt it. Yet.

I'm not sure if I should be nominating Birdie or Black tbh, but I know either one being back on the team would most likely be a good thing. Or myself, if neither one of them wants it. But I don't want to nominate myself that sounds selfish :x

I guess for members who haven't already been on the team, Parenthesis would probably make a pretty good mod I think, if y'all particularly want some new blood. Or Fusion, as Parenthesis already mentioned.

Edit: I also want to say Birdie wants to become mod again; that'd be a pretty good pick too. I imagine Black has more to say on that though.

I have a very... specific reason for not saying Bree here, which I'm sure others can glean with a little effort. I do think she deserves a spot on the team, but... Not sure how to say it without coming across wrong, especially given what's going to follow this.

-----

6Q0My4h.png?2

It's showtime!

I know the site's sense of politics. I've been involved on both sides multiple times, and I understand the need and timing of transparency better than most members and mods alike.

I know when to keep the team from going too hard on a push or keeping too quiet, in favor of keeping people informed. Such as letting you guys know that Evilfusion was not on board with Yui's 1-week ban of Enguin last summer. This was unpopular amongst the team, but it kept the situation from spiralling out of control, due to some sort of answer coming from the team.

I actively seek to improve the site, and not just through situations that arise. I enjoy leading events, celebrating the site's achievements, and just having fun times. There was a reason I dubbed myself the party mod, albeit jokingly. Usami was created both to practice for Halloween and to lead the site in an event meant to bring it closer together. The site felt like it was at an absolute low point, so I wanted to give everyone a chance to smile for a bit.

I can get overzealous and make mistakes. I'm by no means perfect, and I don't want to be praised as if I am. I don't want glory. I want the ability to make a change, to make this site a better, more enjoyable place. YCM has been one of the only constants in my adult life, through the good and bad, and I see this place as a home that I genuinely want to make beautiful. Wonderful.

I'm asking for the means and opportunity to help the site move forward. To not be someone who has to fight on the ground level, but someone who can work from the inside out. I don't enjoy being an outspoken critic of the team, and I've held back at the start of most of these sorts of events for a good while now, so that I could handle them better. I can definitely be hotheaded still, so taking a step back to breathe, instead of getting in over my head from the start. It's easier now that more people are willing to speak up, too, so thanks to all those guys.

0w1FJqp.png?2

I'm asking you, the members, for the opportunity to work on your behalf. I'm not going to call myself a PR Moderator if elected, because I am fairly polarizing, but I still want to do what's right by you guys.

-----

I also want to put CowCow's name up. He's hardworking, streadfast, and he's had a much more level head than he used to. I would have called him a much safer pick than Yui was, and Yui still managed to surprise us, though that was mostly due to his vibrant personality and earnest nature.

Cow has many of Yui's traits, even if he's a bit more subdued. The two were always close to each other in terms of being compared in the past, and with all he's done, I think Cow would push back against the team as needed.

and Yui still managed to surprise us, though that was mostly due to his vibrant personality and earnest nature.

I'm flattered ^_^;

Also, I'm mostly just here this time to propose an idea real quick since I don't like editing my posts in important threads like these because people may miss the edits. Simply put, one extra mod isn't going to change much. But two might. It may be a good idea to bring back someone who was previously a mod (Black?), as well as bring in some new blood entirely (CowCow seems to be a pretty popular pick). That's two extra mods - two new voices on the team, which is already a 33%(? (I'm bad at math)) increase from what we've currently got - one of which can help the other get used to the position. Just a thought is all.

Other than Striker and Black, not a single one of you is qualified to be a moderator.

Hate to be brutal, but I dislike random people who are clearly unqualified being made mod due to mod favoritism or user popularity being made mod. Every single time it happens the new mod mucks things up, causes controversy, and leaves almost as fast as he/she got here.

Black doesn't just have experience (MULTIPLE TIMES), he has largely been, along with Dad, one of the best when it comes to being impartial, disciplined, and a fine representation of what this site is all about. I have 100% faith in Black.

I've been in this site for 2 days and I can already tell there are issues that weren't resolved when I left.

Also Striker was an underrated mod and was an excellent one in his own right.

Other than Black, not a single one of you is qualified to be a moderator.

Hate to be brutal, but I dislike random people who are clearly unqualified being made mod due to mod favoritism or user popularity being made mod. Every single time it happens the new mod mucks things up, causes controversy, and leaves almost as fast as he/she got here.

Black doesn't just have experience (MULTIPLE TIMES), he has largely been, along with Dad, one of the best when it comes to being impartial, disciplined, and a fine representation of what this site is all about. I have 100% faith in Black.

I've been in this site for 2 days and I can already tell there are issues that weren't resolved when I left.

But then we go into stagnation even more. Black would be a fine mod sure but we need new blood too. This is what the whole trial period is about. There are people here eager to make a change, give them a chance.

But then we go into stagnation even more. Black would be a fine mod sure but we need new blood too. This is what the whole trial period is about. There are people here eager to make a change, give them a chance.

Like the last 50 times we gave them a chance? I hate to be cynical, but past history does not give me any hope this will turn out any different.

Jumping in to say that I'm willing to give it a shot. Not quite up to dropping an essay on my strengths and weaknesses at this time but I can give it if requested.

I would nominate Sleepy but she has expressed she has not interest in modship and I respect that.

So I nominate Yui. IMO he had and has what it takes for the mod position, plus his fun times were hella fun and I miss them.

I'm not too keen on some of the nominations made above but this is not a "Why you don't want X as mod" thread so I reserve my comments unless, again, they are requested.

I'm not too keen on some of the nominations made above but this is not a "Why you don't want X as mod" thread so I reserve my comments unless, again, they are requested.

Probably not my place to say yes or no, but I'd imagine that in an election, why you don't want someone in power is just as important as why you do. I'd say write up your reasons in advance and wait for a mod stance on this, then either post them here or just PM them to the team depending on the answer.

Can we not push revisionist history right now? Or even make it about tearing anyone down? This is the set up phase. It’s not even a day old, the thread should be positive until a good number of names are in the pot. We have like 5-6 atm, I believe. Just wait.

Roxas and I were often opposed. We disagreed about handling things. He never had a reign. Even with disagreements, it never reached anything resembling actual hostility until a couple weeks before demotion.

He wasn’t some evil mastermind. He wanted you banned, like much of the team. I believed it was wrong with the methods used, after evilfusion had made me realize that.

I pushed back on ideas like that and the NSFW rule, and I do appreciate support, but stop blindly praising me and pushing false narratives. I’m far from perfect.

We need more than one. I'd like to get a few in who are able to work together just in case throwing one person into things who holds views different than the rest is just begging to be torn apart.

Anyway as for who I think would be fitting. Not necessarily all of them but here's a few to choose from.

Black, for reasons all above.

Yui, because he was a good mod and if he thinks he'd be able to do it again that'd be great.

Bree, for similar reasons

Parenthesis, because that boy knows how to make people listen.

And of course

But I don't want to nominate myself that sounds selfish :x

Myself

I want in and the mods already know why but here's the gist of it.

I think I'm someone people can trust to listen to their issues and actually try and do something about it. Of course I can't promise to fix everything but I can at the very least be trusted to respond and see what I can do for anything that isn't uh...crazy.

I've been around quite some time now and I'm really active even when I have work, I always at least check things on the site each day, and I believe I'd be able to do some good as opposed to the hit and miss making threads about issues that I've been doing.

I just want to actually finally be able to feel like I can do something about the problems.

Also I'm sure many of you know that if I see an issue with something being done/posted I'll actually say it to the person. I already do it sometimes so why not let my words actually matter eh? That isn't to say I'll punish everything I think might be bad, that's silly, but I want to be able to at least mention it without mini-modding or going off topic too much.

Can we not push revisionist history right now? Or even make it about tearing anyone down? This is the set up phase. It’s not even a day old, the thread should be positive until a good number of names are in the pot. We have like 5-6 atm, I believe. Just wait.

Roxas and I were often opposed. We disagreed about handling things. He never had a reign. Even with disagreements, it never reached anything resembling actual hostility until a couple weeks before demotion.

He wasn’t some evil mastermind. He wanted you banned, like much of the team. I believed it was wrong with the methods used, after evilfusion had made me realize that.

I pushed back on ideas like that and the NSFW rule, and I do appreciate support, but stop blindly praising me and pushing false narratives. I’m far from perfect.

This.

Just want to get this out of the way publicly. Black, I am not going to begrudge you in this thread. I just want to say that I am sick of Winter tearing me down to prop you up. I feel like Winter would hurt this election by speaking in bad faith. If there is any hostility, I do not wish to direct it towards you.

I’m going to take some time to get a clear head before I post my thoughts for nominations. I really do not want to fight with Black here, so I would appreciate it if Winter knocked it off with his “Black defied the Roxas tyranny” bit he keeps shoving into any talk of elections. It is completely mean-spirited and helps no one.

Who said this had anything to do with me?

I was more so talking about Enguin's seven wp incident and the locking threads in debates. My ban is between Evil and me, and Roxas was demoted long before it happened. Sure Roxas wanted me banned, but as you noted most people did. And you weren't around when Roxas was funking around with my warning points. 

I'm not blindly praising anyone; our disagreements are numerous and well documented Black. The only reason I preferred you over Cow is I'm a little afraid the team will push Cowcow around, and I'm certain you wouldn't take it if they tried that with you.

Edit: Major problem with my original post is I said it was you single handly stopping the team, which is false since Evil and to a degree, Dad played a pretty big role. I gave you a little too much credit, I apologize

Archived