New Staff Member Election

BANZAI!!!!

I voted for Sleepy and CowCow as well, the rest of my tallies were counted!

I think the method Parenthesis is putting forth would be the best approach to voting. If you get to pick four people, your top pick would get 4 votes, your second pick 3, etc.

Aaand fixed. rip me again

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The method Parenthesis refers to doesn't give X number of votes to be spent by each voter as chips.

What it does is have people rank the candidates from top pick to bottom in a single vote, then the election counts everybody's 1st choice votes to get the initial status.

The method then eliminates the bottom candidate and spreads its votes depending on those voters' 2nd best choice.

You repeat the same process and eliminate as many candidates as you can.

As a safety note: Down the road people's second or even 3rd choices might have already been previously eliminated, so it is important that people rank beyond their top 2 candidates here.

[spoiler=I'm posting that video again here in case anybody wants to watch it]

The idea is that even if your candidate is not gonna win, you are not forced to forsake a vote for the candidate you want most in favor of voting strategically against a particular candidate you don't want to have winning. You vote for your top choice no matter how unpopular it is, and if that person doesn't make it, you still already stated where you want your support to go through your vote.

- - - - -

That's the method in a nutshell.

Notably, it would continue until a candidate has reached a 51% majority, counteracting just how split up the votes will be with so many candidates.

Additionally, to make up with the potential difficulty in dealing with such a system, here is an online calculator that can process the ballots:

https://petertheone.github.io/IRV/

Right now, we're considering leaving votes to private pm involving all moderators in a single message.  Members would cast their vote by sending a group message to each Moderator (this includes myself, Flame Dragon, Sakura, Night, and Zai) so that there is no confusion on our behalf.  If every moderator receives the vote, there should be no question as to who was voted for.  We'll then record these and relay them when the voting period has ended.  I think when Flame is ready to close the thread this evening he'll have a final word to either confirm or deny this.

I think it's safe to say he'll confirm it tho.

I think the issue is more if we'll be doing preferential voting or single vote.

Though that's not really how preferential voting works, that could work as well.

I'd explain exactly how it works, but I'm a bit distracted at the moment.

EDIT:

[spoiler=here, have a flowchart]

VKh1Qes.png

This looks pretty good.

Okay so since we're talking about the voting process there's a couple somewhat awkward topics I feel should be considered.

One is self-voting. I know it's something people automatically say no to and think is wrong, and in stuff like the YCMember Brawls I never would, but I wonder if in this it's not a bad thing given that if someone thinks they're actually the best choice...but then again that could make votes too spread out. So basically I want to at least make sure that's figured out.

Also, and this one is gonna sound really bad, but there perhaps should be some sort of screening for votes. Something to weed out votes that are for less than, for lack of better term, noble purposes. For instances people who are inactive that vote because they liked the person when they were active. Or someone voting as a joke.

Self-voting would probably depend on how the process is done. If it's single vote (Which I'm not sure will be the case), I do think it should be highly discouraged, and you should vote for someone else. If it's preferential voting, I'm not entirely sure how voting for oneself could work, but I think the safest approach should be that either you are not to include yourself among the preferential voting, or your voting should be as impartial as possible rather than just "I should be #1 above everyone else in this election."

The screening for votes sounds like a terrible idea, and demanding that votes for "less than noble purposes" be weeded out is… well, a less than noble request. If you mean superficial votes, that would make sense, but when you talk about someone being "less than noble", my assumption is that you would also include people who, say, "I don't like this person, so I'm ranking them at the bottom" to try and sink their rank in the voting. Honestly, if someone is voting against a candidate, that vote should be counted, and certainly not weeded out. Any screening process is bound to skew the results, so there should not be one.

Okay so since we're talking about the voting process there's a couple somewhat awkward topics I feel should be considered.

One is self-voting. I know it's something people automatically say no to and think is wrong, and in stuff like the YCMember Brawls I never would, but I wonder if in this it's not a bad thing given that if someone thinks they're actually the best choice...but then again that could make votes too spread out. So basically I want to at least make sure that's figured out.

Also, and this one is gonna sound really bad, but there perhaps should be some sort of screening for votes. Something to weed out votes that are for less than, for lack of better term, noble purposes. For instances people who are inactive that vote because they liked the person when they were active. Or someone voting as a joke.

Speaking only for myself, not the team.

Given the number of active members up for nomination and preferential voting likely being the forum of vote I don't see a reason not to allow people to vote for themselves.

This is a concern, but I'm honestly not sure of a clean way to create that kind of rule.

The screening for votes sounds like a terrible idea, and demanding that votes for "less than noble purposes" be weeded out is… well, a less than noble request. If you mean superficial votes, that would make sense, but when you talk about someone being "less than noble", my assumption is that you would also include people who, say, "I don't like this person, so I'm ranking them at the bottom" to try and sink their rank in the voting. Honestly, if someone is voting against a candidate, that vote should be counted, and certainly not weeded out. Any screening process is bound to skew the results, so there should not be one.

I'm pretty sure the fear is due to members who haven't been active showing up to support an active member out of the blue. It's not about disliking, as far as Cow's post goes, but about using common sense to prevent people who aren't a part of the community at present from changing the site.

I'm pretty sure the fear is due to members who haven't been active showing up to support an active member out of the blue. It's not about disliking, as far as Cow's post goes, but about using common sense to prevent people who aren't a part of the community at present from changing the site.

Seems like a rather odd concern, though as Flame said, there's not exactly a clean way to say it, and screening votes from certain people on a case by case basis would probably seem really sketchy.

Seems like a rather odd concern, though as Flame said, there's not exactly a clean way to say it, and screening votes from certain people on a case by case basis would probably seem really sketchy.

I don't entirely disagree, but it's not an odd concern when it's already happened in this thread. Nothing major, but it has.

The issue Bird had was we said they'd be welcome back like Dad and the unfairness in having them go through this to get the job when that offer had been made. I don't believe Yui had such an invite, but I don't think the team would be against it. I'm not sure to be honest. I think the best course of action is to have the election go as is since it isn't as clear.

The issue Bird had was we said they'd be welcome back like Dad and the unfairness in having them go through this to get the job when that offer had been made. I don't believe Yui had such an invite, but I don't think the team would be against it. I'm not sure to be honest. I think the best course of action is to have the election go as is since it isn't as clear.

As a major contender, there's just a heavy chance Yui might win or at the very least swing the election

That's why I ask

As a major contender, there's just a heavy chance Yui might win or at the very least swing the election

That's why I ask

I get its an issue. The situation is just a fair bit muddier than what happened with Bird which is why I'm more wishy-washy on the subject. I doubt the other mods would be against it (I know Dad is ok with it), but I'd like their feedback.

I get its an issue. The situation is just a fair bit muddier than what happened with Bird which is why I'm more wishy-washy on the subject. I doubt the other mods would be against it (I know Dad is ok with it), but I'd like their feedback.

Alright, thank you. Just tell us before voting begins

c('~'c)

I realized it was past 3 and went to check YCM. In typical YCM fashion it was dead.

Going to use this to determine who will move on to the election portion.

[spoiler=Nomination Results]

Bird, Dova, and Fusion listed for posterity only.

For shorthand/recognition purposes:

(◊) is Parentheses

' is Speedroid

A Bigass Colony is ABC

bury the year is Rinne

Darj is Voltex]

HalloHallo is Rewas

I S A A C is Snatch Steal

Kazooie is Bree is Bird is Birdie

Kokichi Oma is Black (G A S P)

Lambdadelta is Hina

Mitch-Arei-Gensou-Engi-tan is Mitch

Order Mario is Saiku

"The Timekeepr" is Dae

The Timekeepr is Striker

White is Winter

W I R E D is Halu

Parenthesis: 14 (+1)

• Page 1: Speedroid, Thar, ABC, Yui, (Parenthesis)
  • Page 2: Lord CowCow, VCR_CAT
  • Page 3: Chaotic Angel, Rinne
  • Page 6: The Nyx Avatar
  • Page 7: Winter, Sleepy, Striker
  • Page 8: Phantom Roxas
  • Page 10: Fusion
Lord CowCow: 13 (+1)
  • Page 1: Parentheses, J-Max, Black
  • Page 2: VCR_CAT, Dova, (Lord CowCow)
  • Page 3: Chaotic Angel
  • Page 6: Tesability Black, Winter, The Nyx Avatar
  • Page 7: Sleepy, Striker, ShimoHkun1
Yui: 13
  • Page 1: Darj
  • Page 2: Lord CowCow, VCR_CAT, Chaos Sonic, Dova, J-Max
  • Page 6: Tesability Black, The Nyx Avatar
  • Page 7: Kid Gambino, ShimoHkun1, mido9
  • Page 11: Rewas
Black: 11 (+1)
  • Page 1: Parenthesis, Winter, Yui, Halu, (Black)
  • Page 4: Sunshine Jesse
  • Page 6: Krow
  • Page 7: Kid Gambino, ShimoHkun1
Sleepy: 9
  • Page 1: Parentheses, Darj
  • Page 2: VCR_CAT
  • Page 6: The Nyx Avatar
  • Page 7: Kid Gambino, ShimoHkun1
  • Page 9: Winter
  • Page 10: Polaris, Fusion
Chaos Sonic: 5 (+1)
  • Page 2: (Chaos Sonic)
  • Page 3: Chaotic Angel
  • Page 5: Tesability Black, Saiku
  • Page 10: Fusion, Winter
Fusion: 5 - BOWED OUT
  • Page 1: Parentheses, Yui
  • Page 2: Hina
  • Page 4: Phantom Roxas, Sunshine Jesse
Hina: 5 (+1)
  • Page 2: Winter, Halu, (Hina)
  • Page 4: Sunshine Jesse
  • Page 7: Snatch Steal
Kazooie: 5 - BOWED OUT
  • Page 1: ABC, Yui
  • Page 3: Rinne
Sunshine Jesse: 5 (+1)
  • Page 2: Winter, Mitch
  • Page 4: (Sunshine Jesse)
  • Page 5: Phantom Roxas
  • Page 8: vla1ne
  • Page 9: Speedroid
Darj: 4 (+1)
  • Page 1: Mitch, (Darj)
  • Page 2: Dova
  • Page 7: Sleepy
Tesability Black: 4 (+1)
  • Page 4: (Tesability Black)
  • Page 9: Winter, Speedroid
  • Page 11: Chaotic Angel
J-Max: 3 (+1)
  • Page 2: Halu, (J-Max)
  • Page 4: Phantom Roxas
Striker: 3 (+1)
  • Page 1: Halu
  • Page 7: (Striker)
Dova: 2 - BOWED OUT
  • Page 2: VCR_CAT, Speedroid
ABC: 1
  • Page 11: Darj
Catterjune: 1
Krow: 1 (+1)
  • Page 3: (Krow)
  • Page 5: Death Metal
Saiku: 1
  • Page 2: Chaos Sonic
Tormented: 1
  • Page 8: Speedroid
VCR_CAT: 1 (+1?)
  • Page 3: (VCR_CAT?)
Snatch Steal: 0 (+1)
  • Page 7: (Snatch Steal)
SK79LinkXyz: -1
  • Page 3: (-SK79LinkXyz)
-----

This should be the complete list. If I have missed someone, perhaps due to being a nominee who was newly introduced that I missed while scanning, please let me know, so that I may fix it.

We've decided to take the top 10 which will be

Parenthesis

Lord CowCow

Yui

Black

Sleepy

Chaos Sonic

Hina

Sunshine Jesse

Darj

Tesability Black

We will be using the Alternative Vote method. It was outlined earlier in the thread, but so people know what to do, just order those names from most wanted to least wanted for the spot. You don't need to pick all 10.

PM your choices to the mod team (Sakura, Dad, Zai, Broken, and myself). We will be keeping track of the results.

Two other notes, neither of which are set in stone.

1) We are talking about the possibility of second also getting a mod slot. THIS IS ONLY A POSSIBILITY. I will say by Friday if it will be 1 or 2.

2) We are talking about making the votes themselves public to allow as much transparency as possible.

I feel both of these things could be important for how you vote and while, again, ONLY A POSSIBILITY, I want any important information in regards to this to be known.

Final note, since it was brought up here, I'm going to have Yui go through the election process. We just never had time to really figure out the best course of action for it.

I believe this is everything. I will be locking this thread and creating a new one (the topic is now the election itself instead of nominations) with this same core info so everyone can continue to discuss.

Archived