New Staff Member Election

BANZAI!!!!

At first I was going to avoid this. With pretty much anything mod-related I've felt more or less like my views/ideals for what a mod team should look like are in such misalignment with most of the site that it would be hard to offer much input that would be both accepted, be constructive, and not add to any amount of drama. However, for this I do feel like, as another member of this site, I should offer my nominations. I mean, if I want this place to better, then I'm not going to accomplish that by doing nothing.

My not-so-short shortlist for nominations would be:

Black - As I've gotten to know you a bit better over time, I do feel like you can do a good job as a mod, and my nomination doesn't have to do with your performance in the past or how you have been before. It has to do with what kind of person I see you as now, and I do think you can step up to the plate for this position.

Cowcow - I don't think there's anything I can say here that hasn't been said before in this thread.

Sleepy - I can't think of many people on the site more universally liked/respected, and I think having that sort of presence on the mod team would be very beneficial for everyone. It's not just a matter of friendliness I put this nomination up, but a combination of overall people skills and reason. You're a smart and nice person, and I think you would do some good on the team.

Parenthesis - I've very much appreciated the way you've handled yourself and presented your points in the recent "issues", and it's the sort of voice that works towards building others and the site up rather than just simply throwing people under the bus. That's the way I want to see mods handle issues.

Bird - A guy can dream!!

Dova - You've given good reviews in CC, done a good job hosting contests, and overall have done a lot of good work in the CC section. You're also a pretty likable person, and I think that sort of positive productivity would be good to see in the team.

I also support Yui returning to the mod team if he feels he wants to. But yeah, I guess the final deal with these nominations is whether these individuals want to be in that position or not.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This.

Just want to get this out of the way publicly. Black, I am not going to begrudge you in this thread. I just want to say that I am sick of Winter tearing me down to prop you up. I feel like Winter would hurt this election by speaking in bad faith. If there is any hostility, I do not wish to direct it towards you.

I’m going to take some time to get a clear head before I post my thoughts for nominations. I really do not want to fight with Black here, so I would appreciate it if Winter knocked it off with his “Black defied the Roxas tyranny” bit he keeps shoving into any talk of elections. It is completely mean-spirited and helps no one.

This is actually fair and I owe you an apology. 

I have redacted my old statement

She was a pretty active debtor in the height of Debates. We've had our disagreements on basically everything from Trans issues to the President. But what can be said about her is she stands her ground firmly and does her best to be objective. Some of the people nominated here act emotionally, and we should try to move away from that. I've found that Jesse treats people she agrees with and disagrees with equally in judgement. That's a rather important trait to have in a mod. 

It's not about being having neutral views, very few people are that, it's about being Neutral on your judgment.

Jesse is also an old jabroni, has friends in most pockets of YCM. She's been a little inactive (not in small part due to the chaos here), which might be a slight against her, but she's someone to consider in future waves

Dova and Sleepy make sense if we're considering a second CC or TCG mod respectively. I'm not entirely sure what the opening is, but I got the feel it was a PR mod spot. While both of them are incredibly qualified for their respective niches, I feel like there are better options for a general PR spot.

Good on Dae for bringing this up. Pretty sure mods should commit to not blocking users and being invisible. Doesn't apply in most cases, but there's a few 

So, a nomination for Mod thread, huh? Level headed people with work ethic, eh? Alright...lemme see if I can put a few down.

Sai / Order Mario - Sai, for as long as I've known him on here, has had quite the work ethic going for him. I know good and well he has best intentions and even ideas regarding the forum and I have faith in him to know that he'd be a great addition to the team.

Yui - Dude was a Mod a while back, and honestly, he did a pretty good job at it. Not sure if he gelled well with the other Mods, but it sure seemed like he did. Plus he already knows what's expected of him in regards to Modship.

Chaos Sonic (Me) - Yes, I am adding myself into a nomination (if I can do that). It may sound selfish, but I think that this might be something I could accomplish. Level headed with work ethic, I could fit this role. Again, I may not have Mod experience nor do I seem to be Mod material, but I wanted to do more for this forum, which is one of the things I was hoping to do this year. If this happens to be the way to do that, then I'll take the opportunity.

Though if I can't just outright nominate myself, which to be fair, I can understand, then Sai and Yui being my nominations will be that.

Wasn't originally going to comment, but now that I've been nominated...

I firstly want to thank you guys for the support. It means a lot to me that you think I can be mod material, and you are willing to vote for me.

However, I don't think I am quite mod material yet. First off, my time management lately. I've been juggling this site, various others and many chats, which wouldn't normally be a problem, but considering that A) I don't really have much to do until Uni starts so I should really have free time and B) how many vidya games I've be playing that also take up this time. It's taken me a week to do two reviews; honestly. Secondly, I don't really know what I would do as mod. I'm all for keeping control of members, general moderating, being helpful etc. but I don't really have a plan or idea of what I would actually do/change in that position. Thirdly, I used to have a habit of running away when the going got tough, and I'm unsure if I've quite ironed that out yet.

So yeah, I would love to be a mod, but I don't think I should be your first choice at the moment, particularly if this is PR rather than CC/TCG.

As for my nominations, well, being a CC vet and not much else and being relatively new has me limited on my knowledge of other members, such as Black and Roxas, but I do know a few. Anywho, in no particular order:

Yui, even though I was absent for most of your modship, I have heard little but good things about it.

Darj, because, well, you're a great dude. I've seen you in both CC and TCG/OCG, and sometimes I feel put to shame in the former.

Cowcow. I have nothing new to say here.

Sleepy is great with people, and rarely if ever causes an argument. If there's one word to some up Sleepy, it's nice, but competent is a close second.

There are a few others, but I don't feel I know them well enough to nominate them.

As was mentioned earlier, how does a fresh mod and a previous mod sound? If we do get fresh blood then please treat them well. I was warmly welcomed when I was a mod at it was great.

Yui and Cow are my recommendations thus far.

You were a good mod back in the day as far as I remember.

Also, straight up. I am downright sick of the Striker jokes and I wholeheartedly support Striker becoming a mod again. One of the most underrated mods on this site and the controversy surrounding his exit was completely overblown. When it comes to organizing clubs or events, no one is more detailed and in depth in their approach than Striker. He is a fine representation of this site and people's inability to stop whamming him over the head with that incident can be absolutely infuriating.

Decry my nomination all you want, but it's annoying how many people balk at the idea of Striker being a mod when other mods have done far worse and not bowed out as gracefully as he did.

In terms of old people I would support becoming a mod again:

Black

Striker

J-Max

In terms of new blood:

Hina

Thanks man.

I do have a lot of free time as me and Ashley look after each other as we are both overweight (looking into gastric band this year). I know that I was banned in the past due to my stupidity with the hentai and stuff but I do remember being a good mod (even banning the elusive ragnarok lol)

Not sure if you guys would accept me due to my past though......

But back to the topic at hand.

Striker needs power in contests.

Edit: I also want to say Birdie wants to become mod again; that'd be a pretty good pick too. I imagine Black has more to say on that though.

If people want me back, I'm open to returning. But if people decide they don't want me to take up the position, I won't fight it. I've made it clear from the start that the community's input is valuable to me, and this isn't really different.

jesse was mentioned earlier in the thread and i support that too, just throwing that out there. said individual is clearly able to deal with winter professionally despite their drastically contrasting perspectives on funking everything. that's a pretty important personality trait to have in a mod imo. also for similar reasons to darj

At first I was going to avoid this. With pretty much anything mod-related I've felt more or less like my views/ideals for what a mod team should look like are in such misalignment with most of the site that it would be hard to offer much input that would be both accepted, be constructive, and not add to any amount of drama. However, for this I do feel like, as another member of this site, I should offer my nominations. I mean, if I want this place to better, then I'm not going to accomplish that by doing nothing.

My not-so-short shortlist for nominations would be:

Black - As I've gotten to know you a bit better over time, I do feel like you can do a good job as a mod, and my nomination doesn't have to do with your performance in the past or how you have been before. It has to do with what kind of person I see you as now, and I do think you can step up to the plate for this position.

Cowcow - I don't think there's anything I can say here that hasn't been said before in this thread.

Sleepy - I can't think of many people on the site more universally liked/respected, and I think having that sort of presence on the mod team would be very beneficial for everyone. It's not just a matter of friendliness I put this nomination up, but a combination of overall people skills and reason. You're a smart and nice person, and I think you would do some good on the team.

Parenthesis - I've very much appreciated the way you've handled yourself and presented your points in the recent "issues", and it's the sort of voice that works towards building others and the site up rather than just simply throwing people under the bus. That's the way I want to see mods handle issues.

Bird - A guy can dream!!

Dova - You've given good reviews in CC, done a good job hosting contests, and overall have done a lot of good work in the CC section. You're also a pretty likable person, and I think that sort of positive productivity would be good to see in the team.

I also support Yui returning to the mod team if he feels he wants to. But yeah, I guess the final deal with these nominations is whether these individuals want to be in that position or not.

i'm not fully to the point of nominating you but have you considered yourself by the way?

For those who support me (Halu, Winter and Dad), I'd like to express my willingness and self-confidence in the matter. My time besides university is spent on literary fiction and philosophy so that I am in fact present regardless of my posting frequency, which Dad earlier remarked on. I have impartiality, objectivity and competence: the tangible triad of moderation, which is not chimerical (and thus easy to agree on) not embryonic (and thus rapidly applicable).

Otherwise, Fusion has expressed that pivotal cordiality and competence. He understands himself as an emotional being and utility of rules as the terms of use, which make him socially and critically agreeable a choice. His single bout of anger was succeeded by a synthesis of reflection—the kernel to adaptive and blooming moderation—and real behavioral shift through action, culminating to personal development. He's competent, alongside these, and his friendly, humble demeanor augurs well for a consolidated connection with the members.

I would like to put forward another initiative, optional though it may be. We have a good bit of names now, probably in the 12~ range, but this is still very new. It would probably be for the best if we had some sort of set time on nomination period... Then have a discussion to suss out the final picks. I don't know how many people would be in the voting bracket at the end, could be anywhere from 3 to 10, but this does seem like the best direction to take something like this in.

But the initiative... I suggest that nominees cannot speak ill of another nominee. It doesn't look good for either side to have that occur, and there are people willing to speak up who don't have a dog in this fight. Speaking in private amongst those you agree with is one thing, but it seems like it's unsporting to try to win by tearing your opposition down. Especially when we're trying to achieve change and progress.

However, this is all just my opinion. I'm a nominee, like all of you, and I intend to follow through on this. It would probably be fine for the final crop of candidates to discuss each other a bit more freely, but I believe it will only breed strife at this point. Maybe the moderators can also have a discussion with the nominees what they think of the others, and try to present that in an unbiased manner, with anonymity granted to those offering up opinions?

Up to each of you to see if you want to do this, though. No sense forcing it to be peaceful, by members or mods alike.

I would also say that, if you're a fan of 2 mods being elected and/or 1 former 1 new mod being elected, you should speak up, clearly. The team has to know what you want to consider it, after all.

I like that initiative you're proposing. It's better for one to win on one's own merits than on somebody else's shortcomings. As for that last bit, although I proposed it, it feels worth reiterating that I think it'd be good for the mods to have one returning mod and one completely new to the team.

Strongly in favor of this. Don't remember who's Idea it was (Cow or J-Max I think)

It-Was-Me-Jim-Carrey-Liar-Liar.gif

So what are people running for again? Like what section is this gonna be a modship of?

What kind of position will this new staff member fill?

None! Ok, not quite, but the spot isn't going to be for a specific section. We need more voices on the team; more opinions, and more manpower to properly keep things running smoothly. No specific expertise necessary, just a good, level head and the work ethic to get sheet done.

Someone who fills a general role, it would seem. Nothing specific.

Frankly, I think we should distinguish between "tearing down candidates" and "pointing out weaknesses of candidates".

In the past, people have been promoted because their weaknesses were unknown or unconsidered. After time had passed, those problems, that those who kept silent already knew about, became apparent.

If somebody has a legitimate concern about someone, they should by all means bring it forward, whether the concerned individual is being considered for modship or not. Of course this shouldn't be a battle, this should not be determined by people tearing each other down, but to shut out criticism will only lead to a blind decision being made.

So before this all is over, I'm going to be going over what I believe the weaknesses of everyone brought forward in this thread. This includes myself. I want this process to be as amicable as possible, but a discussion where we only bring up positives is intentional ignorance.

Archived