[Discussion] Interest Check... kind of

BANZAI!!!!

That sounds nice but any idea how this will logically work into the RP? For instance what if one character is interacting with another who drops/posts slowly? Or if its in the middle of something important?

And what will happen in the instance that four people are going fast and one isn't but they all still want to be part of it?

Sorry if I'm being a pain. Not trying to make you not want to do this or anything. But since I won't be joining I want to at least help by posing these questions.

I mean these are things that can happen in any rp, though dropping without writing an exit post for a character will probably be some kind of offense. Reminder that the ghosting rule is in effect as well, which hopefully will deter these kinds of things.

I mean these are things that can happen in any rp, though dropping without writing an exit post for a character will probably be some kind of offense. Reminder that the ghosting rule is in effect as well, which hopefully will deter these kinds of things.

Usually if a character drops without closure, the DM has every right to kill them off IC however they wish. It's way more interesting than just having a character awkwardly stop interacting with them all of a sudden, and they have something to work with in that regard.

I want to know how this RP would handle it specifically though because most can just move on with the story. This the interaction/moments are more important...in the moment.

And also the whole

"And what will happen in the instance that four people are going fast and one isn't but they all still want to be part of it?"

Like if a few people are posting every day and the fourth every week.

here's a thought for the tavern-style RP. only posts on the same page in the thread(and the OP post i guess) count. events that occurred in previous pages are treated as not having happened. any continuity an individual player/character wants to enforce has to be re-introduced in their own post through narration or something similar. a plot point, if it exists, should be resolved by the last post in a page.

its not complete but you can try to develop it into something that'd work, maybe. the idea of playing with post limit in a thread page sounds interesting enough imo

no that's awful mitch

1) it's kind of hard/takes a bit of effort to predict when the next page break is going to be.

2) It'd mean that people's posts just get longer and longer as they copy/paste their character's entire backstory and continuity up to that point in every time.

3) breaks up the flow of the story, reading would feel choppy

4) very confusing, especially for new players

5) would probably lead to a lot of unresolved story arcs, which would be dissatisfying

i could go on

1. each page has 15 posts and unlike other forums, as far as i know no user can change their viewing preferences for this so it should be fixed for everyone.

2. the idea isn't really to copy/paste their sheet here. i'm thinking more like, if 1 player's character had a history with another player's character in a previous page, they can sorta allude to it if they want to make that  connection relevant to their interactions with each other, so that other players aren't completely lost. if it isn't established in a post's narration in a certain page, it effectively did not happen for that page so that other players do not have to read back.

3. the idea is that every page would be a full story to read. there shouldnt be any flow between pages.

4. if the OP states this rule there shouldn't be a problem. any time you open a new thread you see the OP first, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

5. what i want from this idea is that players would actually actively try to resolve plot points without stalling. in the first place, with the kind of open RP i'm thinking there isnt much room for heavy plotting. light plot and mostly character interactions are what i believe this kind of open RP should aim for.

1. each page has 15 posts and unlike other forums, as far as i know no user can change their viewing preferences for this so it should be fixed for everyone.

2. the idea isn't really to copy/paste their sheet here. i'm thinking more like, if 1 player's character had a history with another player's character in a previous page, they can sorta allude to it if they want to make that  connection relevant to their interactions with each other, so that other players aren't completely lost. if it isn't established in a post's narration in a certain page, it effectively did not happen for that page so that other players do not have to read back.

3. the idea is that every page would be a full story to read. there shouldnt be any flow between pages.

4. if the OP states this rule there shouldn't be a problem. any time you open a new thread you see the OP first, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

5. what i want from this idea is that players would actually actively try to resolve plot points without stalling. in the first place, with the kind of open RP i'm thinking there isnt much room for heavy plotting. light plot and mostly character interactions are what i believe this kind of open RP should aim for.

1. It's 20 for me, so unsure if there's a different number for different people, which hampers things.

2. That would probably result in later posts that are full paragraphs of past information depending how far this goes. Its also logically confusing.

3. If you had 3-4 characters this might work but even at 5 characters that's 4 posts each (with 20 posts, with 15 it'd be 3) which isn't enough to do much of anything without a bunch of collabs which...

4. Isn't really new member friendly

I'd rather restrict canon wipes to dates rather than posts. Say the host declares a wipe every week/month/whenever the host pleases. That gives incentive to post, and gives incentive to wrap up whatever you're doing in a timely manner.

That being said, I'm not completely convinced this is a problem, but if it does become one, that's how I'd fix it.

i guess wiping by date works too.

1. It's 20 for me, so unsure if there's a different number for different people, which hampers things.

2. That would probably result in later posts that are full paragraphs of past information depending how far this goes. Its also logically confusing.

3. If you had 3-4 characters this might work but even at 5 characters that's 4 posts each (with 20 posts, with 15 it'd be 3) which isn't enough to do much of anything without a bunch of collabs which...

4. Isn't really new member friendly

my bad, it actually is 20 after all. when i posted it was the 29th post here so i assumed a new page was gonna come soon.

I think wiping canon out is a terrible idea. Basically just invalidates parts of the RP for no reason.

Something I am considering however is a timeskip every now and again when the tavern closes up for the evening. Fastforwarding a few days each time gives characters a chance to go adventuring/living life in between and have talking points and trophies to come back with. Also allows for repeat introductions.

So.. It's been 4 days already and not a single post has been made regarding whether or not this roleplay is gonna see the light of day. Any updates, Banzai?

Been working on a concept in my spare time, though Its not quite ready to be an OOC yet. You'll all probably see something in a week or so.

Archived