[Written] Ancient Gear Support [6/6]

Kid Gambino

[spoiler=Notes]Sooooooo I've been trying to get back into playing YGO through DuelingBook, and one of my favorite archetypes of all time has always been Ancient Gears. Unfortunately, even after testing them quite a few times with their new support, they seem to be missing a few tricks and card ideas to consistently be a combative force nowadays. After scavenging the internet trying to find the right cards that could replace the plethora of garbage Ancient Gear cards that exist and fill the hole that they need, I decided to come up with my own custom cards that I feel would greatly benefit the archetype. Any and all constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]Ancient Gear Golem - Prototype
EARTH - ✪✪✪✪
Machine/Effect
Cannot be Special Summoned. This card's name is also treated as "Ancient Gear Golem" while on the field or in your hand. If this card is Normal Summoned: You can declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap); this turn, if a monster you control attacks, your opponent's Spell Cards, Trap Cards, or monster effects (whichever was declared) cannot be activated until the end of the Damage Step. This card cannot declare an attack unless you reveal 1 Level 8 or higher "Ancient Gear" monster from your hand at the beginning of this turn's Battle Phase.
[2000/500]

Ancient Gear Core
EARTH - ✪✪
Machine/Effect
If this card is sent from the hand or field to the GY as a Tribute or Material for a Tribute or Special Summon of a Machine monster: You can Special Summon it, and if you do, shuffle it into your Deck when it leaves the field.
[300/300]

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters]Ancient Gear Dragon Cannon
EARTH - ✪✪✪✪✪✪
Machine/Fusion/Effect
2 "Ancient Gear" monsters
Must be either Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned by sending the above monsters you control to the Graveyard (in which case you do not use "Polymerization"), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card you control and 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; destroy them.
[1800/2300]

Ancient Gear Stalker
DARK - Link 2 (DL/DR)
Machine/Link/Effect
2 Machine monsters
When a Machine monster is Normal or Special Summoned to a zone this card points to: You can Special Summon up to 2 "Ancient Gear Tokens" (Machine-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). You can Fusion Summon 1 "Ancient Gear" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Materials. You can only activate this effect of "Ancient Gear Stalker" once per turn.
[1900]

[spoiler=Spell/Trap Cards]Ancient Gear Reinforcements
Continuous Spell Card
You can conduct 2 "Ancient Gear" monster Normal Summons/Sets per turn. If this card is destroyed in the Spell & Trap Zone by a "Ancient Gear" card: Draw 2 cards. You can only activate this effect of "Ancient Gear Reinforcements" once per turn.

Ancient Gear Reproduction
Normal Trap Card
Send 1 "Ancient Gear" monster from your Deck/Extra Deck to the GY, then Special Summon 1 "Ancient Gear" monster from your GY with the same name as the sent monster, ignoring its Summoning conditions. If only your opponent controls a monster, you can activate this card from your hand.

Don't like the first monster, I get the idea, it's like a Proto-Cyber Dragon but it makes the OG ancient Gear Golem useless. And why is a Lv 4 monster with 2000ATK and a good effect? I know power creep and all but that goes against some of the more reliable rules for creating cards.

Core is, cool? Not sure it's good enough to actually see play. Doesn't count itself as 2 tributes so not much Synergy with the higher level monsters.

It is a target for "Ancient Gear Box" but it's not like ancient gears fuse multiple times in a turn so it's just sitting on your field. Can't use it for Link material since you already fusion summoned.

Ancient Gear Dragon Cannon is cool, Not really sure why you'd make it. Sure you can pop an ancient gear card and SS another one but you already had 2 ancient gears on the field to make this card in the first place. I guess if you really need the Spell/Trap pop you'd play but it's not as good as you think, and it clogs up your extra monster zone

For the Link, rather play "Qliphort Genius". Lower Link Rating, same materials and better effects

For Ancient Gear Reinforcements, it could be broken with the Draw 2 effect. Maybe make it so that it has to be destroyed by an "Ancient Gear" card effect or control an "Ancient Gear" card to resolve. One of the better card but too abusable outside of "Ancient Gears".

Ancient Gear Reproduction is interesting. So your opponent destroys your "Chaos Ancient Gear Giant", you activate this card from your hand and SS it back. I like this card, fair, advances your gamestate and good but not broken. 

Don't like the first monster, I get the idea, it's like a Proto-Cyber Dragon but it makes the OG ancient Gear Golem useless. And why is a Lv 4 monster with 2000ATK and a good effect? I know power creep and all but that goes against some of the more reliable rules for creating cards.

Core is, cool? Not sure it's good enough to actually see play. Doesn't count itself as 2 tributes so not much Synergy with the higher level monsters.

It is a target for "Ancient Gear Box" but it's not like ancient gears fuse multiple times in a turn so it's just sitting on your field. Can't use it for Link material since you already fusion summoned.

Ancient Gear Dragon Cannon is cool, Not really sure why you'd make it. Sure you can pop an ancient gear card and SS another one but you already had 2 ancient gears on the field to make this card in the first place. I guess if you really need the Spell/Trap pop you'd play but it's not as good as you think, and it clogs up your extra monster zone

For the Link, rather play "Qliphort Genius". Lower Link Rating, same materials and better effects

For Ancient Gear Reinforcements, it could be broken with the Draw 2 effect. Maybe make it so that it has to be destroyed by an "Ancient Gear" card effect or control an "Ancient Gear" card to resolve. One of the better card but too abusable outside of "Ancient Gears".

Ancient Gear Reproduction is interesting. So your opponent destroys your "Chaos Ancient Gear Giant", you activate this card from your hand and SS it back. I like this card, fair, advances your gamestate and good but not broken. 

Ancient Gear Golem - Prototype: I wouldn't say it necessarily makes the original Golem useless. This card has 1000 less ATK, 1500 less DEF (though this also makes it searchable by AG Box), can only protect from only 1 of three choices (monster effects/spells/traps) for the turn it's summoned, and has the same anti-Special Summon stipulation as the original. The upside to this card is that it's an easier-to-summon target for Ancient Gear Fusion. Considering the lack of good AG monsters to run even when you're already running the best ones at 3, I would definitely consider running 3 of these and maybe 2 Golems for consistency considering how much AG's tend to rely on the "Ancient Gear Golem".

+ EDIT: Just noticed your concern about this card's ATK and effect after re-reading your post and realized you brought up a valid point. Added a requirement that this card cannot attack unless you reveal a Level 8 or higher "Ancient Gear" monster from your hand at the beginning of the Battle Phase (OG Golem, UP Golem, Toon Golem, Gadjiltron, Reactor Dragon).

Ancient Gear Core: This card was created for the purpose of lessening the blow of putting all your eggs in one basket, aka dropping 3-4 AG's from your hand/field for a single AG monster that is still very susceptible to becoming non-existent. This is a problem I encountered very often with AG's. Since this card summons itself back after a tribute (single tribute for Level 8 AG's with Geartown) or Special Summon material (aka Fusion/Link Summons), this allows you to continue your plays into summoning potentially another AG boss so your entire turn doesn't boil down to relying on a single monster.

Ancient Gear Dragon Cannon: So, a few things this card brings to AG's that they didn't already have. Firstly, it's a Contact Fusion AG that serves as a backup plan in case you don't have Hunting Hound or a fusion card in your hand. It's not very strong at all so it doesn't make the Fusion Card aspect of the archetype useless, but can still serve as a better way to protect your LP with a somewhat high DEF and it's effect. Secondly, you can replace Tornado Dragon with this (or still run both, your prerogative), so now you're running more AGs for consistency and now have a monster who has a Double Cyclone effect, allowing you to pop your opponent's cards AND your own (Geartown/Fortress). Not meant to be a majorly played card for AGs, it would exists purely for situational moments. (Also, it's a AG version of XY-Dragon Cannon.)

Ancient Gear Stalker: I kinda see what you mean with it not being that much of a better choice than Qliphort Genius. Originally, my idea for this was a Link 2, since AGs already barely have the ability to summon 3 AGs at once that aren't going to be fused into the super-strong AG Fusions, but before I finally figured out what it's effects were going to be, I ended up changing it to Link 3 and then something was lost in translation with the end product. I prefer for this to be Link 3 since Qliphort Genius already exists, I just don't know what to add to buff it. Any ideas?

Ancient Gear Reinforcements: Hmmm, I kinda want to disagree with this, as I'm not certain what deck would greatly benefit from running this card that isn't AG, but just to cover my bases as it doesn't really hurt AGs to add that stipulation (especially if Dragon Cannon was to exist), I'll make it AG cards only.

Ancient Gear Reproduction: Exactly, this card is another solution to my previous concern about AGs putting all their eggs in one basket and not being able to follow up with anything if said basket is destroyed. Considering AG Reborn is non-searchable by Gearframe and can't be set the turn it's searched by Wyvern, this is a one-time revival "handtrap" for AGs with a requirement that you rarely won't be able to adhere to, considering it's most likely gonna be used to bring back boss AG's. Not just that, but it's Foolish Burial effect can be useful if you're running Overload Fusion, allowing you a better chance to drop another Chaos Giant.

Ancient Gear Golem - Prototype: I wouldn't say it necessarily makes the original Golem useless. This card has 1000 less ATK, 1500 less DEF (though this also makes it searchable by AG Box), can only protect from only 1 of three choices (monster effects/spells/traps) for the turn it's summoned, and has the same anti-Special Summon stipulation as the original. The upside to this card is that it's an easier-to-summon target for Ancient Gear Fusion. Considering the lack of good AG monsters to run even when you're already running the best ones at 3, I would definitely consider running 3 of these and maybe 2 Golems for consistency considering how much AG's tend to rely on the "Ancient Gear Golem".

+ EDIT: Just noticed your concern about this card's ATK and effect after re-reading your post and realized you brought up a valid point. Added a requirement that this card cannot attack unless you reveal a Level 8 or higher "Ancient Gear" monster from your hand at the beginning of the Battle Phase (OG Golem, UP Golem, Toon Golem, Gadjiltron, Reactor Dragon).

Looks a lot better now, just be aware, as with the Fusion Sub ruling, with your wording you can only have 3 total of this card and the OG Golem so it's not like your increasing your targets.

Ancient Gear Core: This card was created for the purpose of lessening the blow of putting all your eggs in one basket, aka dropping 3-4 AG's from your hand/field for a single AG monster that is still very susceptible to becoming non-existent. This is a problem I encountered very often with AG's. Since this card summons itself back after a tribute (single tribute for Level 8 AG's with Geartown) or Special Summon material (aka Fusion/Link Summons), this allows you to continue your plays into summoning potentially another AG boss so your entire turn doesn't boil down to relying on a single monster.

I guess sitting on 1 monster is better than sitting on 0, can't argue with that, and the Geartown play would be interesting. Completly conflicts with the first card since you can only run 3 total of Prototype and the OG Golem, but with Reactor Dragon it would be interesting since some builds do play that card.

Ancient Gear Dragon Cannon: So, a few things this card brings to AG's that they didn't already have. Firstly, it's a Contact Fusion AG that serves as a backup plan in case you don't have Hunting Hound or a fusion card in your hand. It's not very strong at all so it doesn't make the Fusion Card aspect of the archetype useless, but can still serve as a better way to protect your LP with a somewhat high DEF and it's effect. Secondly, you can replace Tornado Dragon with this (or still run both, your prerogative), so now you're running more AGs for consistency and now have a monster who has a Double Cyclone effect, allowing you to pop your opponent's cards AND your own (Geartown/Fortress). Not meant to be a majorly played card for AGs, it would exists purely for situational moments. (Also, it's a AG version of XY-Dragon Cannon.)

Fair enough, but to be perfectly honest I'm trying to think of a way ancient gears can get 2 monsters on the field without fusion summoning a monster. Core only triggers when you have used to make a monster in the extra monster zone and using a fusion monster defeat the purpose since as you said it's for when Ancient gears don't have access to a fusion. If you can give me a combo on how you intend this card to be used that would help

Ancient Gear Stalker: I kinda see what you mean with it not being that much of a better choice than Qliphort Genius. Originally, my idea for this was a Link 2, since AGs already barely have the ability to summon 3 AGs at once that aren't going to be fused into the super-strong AG Fusions, but before I finally figured out what it's effects were going to be, I ended up changing it to Link 3 and then something was lost in translation with the end product. I prefer for this to be Link 3 since Qliphort Genius already exists, I just don't know what to add to buff it. Any ideas?

First Link 3 is way to high for a deck like ancient gears it can help Ancient Gears with insane effects but it's no good if they can't make it. It would help if it has a fusion effect like a hound or alternatively counts as 2 materials for the fusion summon of an ancient geat monster.

Frankly, both of its current effects are bad, you're probably basing the burn effect off Hound, don't, that's something leftover from the anime where characters would react by saying "oh dear, he dealt damage on the first turn"/"He took first blood". Same with Howitzer.

The other effect is just straight bad, why does it have to be "this card", I want to destroy everything with Chaos Ancient Gear Giant since he can attack everything, does piercing, and has a bigger body, Not this card. Also, a token at that point is just redundant, it's fine as a "Bonus" effect but it's not what you'll make the card for.

Ancient Gear Reinforcements: Hmmm, I kinda want to disagree with this, as I'm not certain what deck would greatly benefit from running this card that isn't AG, but just to cover my bases as it doesn't really hurt AGs to add that stipulation (especially if Dragon Cannon was to exist), I'll make it AG cards only.

I see you changed but to answer your question, Double Cyclone sees some play in stuff like Metalfoes, you can activate this card and pop it with your Materpiece/Drident, and basically anything that has "negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it." like Cyber Dragon Infinity. There are lot of ways to make use of that Draw 2 effect and don't underestimate how far players will go to Draw 2 cards

Ancient Gear Reproduction: Exactly, this card is another solution to my previous concern about AGs putting all their eggs in one basket and not being able to follow up with anything if said basket is destroyed. Considering AG Reborn is non-searchable by Gearframe and can't be set the turn it's searched by Wyvern, this is a one-time revival "handtrap" for AGs with a requirement that you rarely won't be able to adhere to, considering it's most likely gonna be used to bring back boss AG's. Not just that, but it's Foolish Burial effect can be useful if you're running Overload Fusion, allowing you a better chance to drop another Chaos Giant.

All nice ways to use that card. Forgot about Wyverns other effects so yeah you designed it perfectly to work around that in a fair manner.

Looks a lot better now, just be aware, as with the Fusion Sub ruling, with your wording you can only have 3 total of this card and the OG Golem so it's not like your increasing your targets.

I guess sitting on 1 monster is better than sitting on 0, can't argue with that, and the Geartown play would be interesting. Completly conflicts with the first card since you can only run 3 total of Prototype and the OG Golem, but with Reactor Dragon it would be interesting since some builds do play that card.

Fair enough, but to be perfectly honest I'm trying to think of a way ancient gears can get 2 monsters on the field without fusion summoning a monster. Core only triggers when you have used to make a monster in the extra monster zone and using a fusion monster defeat the purpose since as you said it's for when Ancient gears don't have access to a fusion. If you can give me a combo on how you intend this card to be used that would help

First Link 3 is way to high for a deck like ancient gears it can help Ancient Gears with insane effects but it's no good if they can't make it. It would help if it has a fusion effect like a hound or alternatively counts as 2 materials for the fusion summon of an ancient geat monster.

Frankly, both of its current effects are bad, you're probably basing the burn effect off Hound, don't, that's something leftover from the anime where characters would react by saying "oh dear, he dealt damage on the first turn"/"He took first blood". Same with Howitzer.

The other effect is just straight bad, why does it have to be "this card", I want to destroy everything with Chaos Ancient Gear Giant since he can attack everything, does piercing, and has a bigger body, Not this card. Also, a token at that point is just redundant, it's fine as a "Bonus" effect but it's not what you'll make the card for.

I see you changed but to answer your question, Double Cyclone sees some play in stuff like Metalfoes, you can activate this card and pop it with your Materpiece/Drident, and basically anything that has "negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it." like Cyber Dragon Infinity. There are lot of ways to make use of that Draw 2 effect and don't underestimate how far players will go to Draw 2 cards

All nice ways to use that card. Forgot about Wyverns other effects so yeah you designed it perfectly to work around that in a fair manner.

Ancient Gear Golem - Prototype: I had no idea what you were talking about in reference to the "fusion sub ruling" but I did realize that this card making it's name "Ancient Gear Golem" conflicts with the normal rulings of you only being able to run 3 copies of 1 Unlimited card in your Deck. This card was not meant to replace Golem, but to give you more available options to utilize Ancient Gear Fusion's second effect. Gonna change this to "in your hand or on the field" to avoid that issue.

Ancient Gear Dragon Cannon: Machine Dupe (Box, Gadget, A-Gear would probably be a feasible addition if this and the Link monster were to exist), 1 Normal Summoned AG + A-Gear self-summon effect, 1 Normal Summoned AG + popping Geartown or Fortress, 2 Level 4 or lower AG's from hand + AG Reinforcements, AG Reborn + 1 AG Normal Summon. These are just the easiest ways I could come up with, AG's have other methods of summoning multiple AGs, they are just more of a headache and less accessible.

Ancient Gear Stalker: My reasoning for the burn effect is because the AG's tend to rely a lot of attacking with beefy monsters as their win condition, and have piercing effects and some burn (Hunting Hound, Howitzer) I assumed as backup plans in case your opponent is stalling out your ability to attack. Theoretically, it's not a bad concept, but it would probably work better as a third "why not" effect along with other really good effects if this was to remain a Link 3 or higher, the only problem being AG's wouldn't chime well with a Link 3 monster (albeit I thought it wouldn't be that difficult with a Gadget engine and Qliphort). Nonetheless, I agree that Link 3 is too much for AGs in any case, so I'm gonna bump him down to 2, give him a Hunting Hound fusion effect but keep the token summon effect. The tokens are meant to be replacement materials for Fusions (and Tribute Summons, I guess), so hopefully with the new effect it makes this card a lot better Link monster idea for Ancient Gears.

Ancient Gear Reinforcements: Fair enough. As I stated in my original post, I'm trying to get back into YGO, so I'd consider myself behind the curve as far as the capabilities of everything so far. I haven't ran into anything that makes me think they'd abuse the crap out of this but that's why I decided to take your word for it and nerf it anyways.

Ancient Gear Golem - Prototype: I had no idea what you were talking about in reference to the "fusion sub ruling" but I did realize that this card making it's name "Ancient Gear Golem" conflicts with the normal rulings of you only being able to run 3 copies of 1 Unlimited card in your Deck. This card was not meant to replace Golem, but to give you more available options to utilize Ancient Gear Fusion's second effect. Gonna change this to "in your hand or on the field" to avoid that issue.

Ancient Gear Dragon Cannon: Machine Dupe (Box, Gadget, A-Gear would probably be a feasible addition if this and the Link monster were to exist), 1 Normal Summoned AG + A-Gear self-summon effect, 1 Normal Summoned AG + popping Geartown or Fortress, 2 Level 4 or lower AG's from hand + AG Reinforcements, AG Reborn + 1 AG Normal Summon. These are just the easiest ways I could come up with, AG's have other methods of summoning multiple AGs, they are just more of a headache and less accessible.

Ancient Gear Stalker: My reasoning for the burn effect is because the AG's tend to rely a lot of attacking with beefy monsters as their win condition, and have piercing effects and some burn (Hunting Hound, Howitzer) I assumed as backup plans in case your opponent is stalling out your ability to attack. Theoretically, it's not a bad concept, but it would probably work better as a third "why not" effect along with other really good effects if this was to remain a Link 3 or higher, the only problem being AG's wouldn't chime well with a Link 3 monster (albeit I thought it wouldn't be that difficult with a Gadget engine and Qliphort). Nonetheless, I agree that Link 3 is too much for AGs in any case, so I'm gonna bump him down to 2, give him a Hunting Hound fusion effect but keep the token summon effect. The tokens are meant to be replacement materials for Fusions (and Tribute Summons, I guess), so hopefully with the new effect it makes this card a lot better Link monster idea for Ancient Gears.

Ancient Gear Reinforcements: Fair enough. As I stated in my original post, I'm trying to get back into YGO, so I'd consider myself behind the curve as far as the capabilities of everything so far. I haven't ran into anything that makes me think they'd abuse the crap out of this but that's why I decided to take your word for it and nerf it anyways.

Ah, machine dupe, forgot that was a card. I suppose with that you can make the link much more easily. 

But now link is broken

! card: glow up bulb:

normal glow up bulb, link for Linkuriboh

SS Bulb from Grave

Link for Needlefiber

SS Mecha Phantom Beast O-Lion with needlefiber effect

Link both for this card

Trigger O-Lion, summon token to this cards link zone

Trigger effect SS Gear token to the other link point

Trigger it's effect again, SS 2 more tokens

You have a Link 2 and 5 tokens, the sky is the limit

Even if it didn't trigger off its own effect you could use Jet Synchron to trigger it as well. Make it OPT at least

Archived