How "New California" Voted Recently

Ryusei the Morning Star

According to the report I read, it's a bunch of super hard-core right-wingers who want to secede from California. Which surprises me, a lot. I thought for sure this would be some liberal over-reach but I'd like to learn more.

I was wrong, GOP hasn't won New Ca since 2004, unless Santa Clara stays with CA in which case romney won it by 0.2%

Trump lost it by 16

If the GOP is doing it, they suck at map drawing

CzkNoKl.jpg

It's not cause the democrats literally cannot lose power over this particular split

Maybe not in local elections for metro areas but in presidential elections CA is 55 electoral votes and by splitting the state some of them are bound to go to New California even if it is something like 35/20 or 40/15 that might mean the difference between a republican or democratic president in the future.

Maybe not in local elections for metro areas but in presidential elections CA is 55 electoral votes and by splitting the state some of them are bound to go to New California even if it is something like 35/20 or 40/15 that might mean the difference between a republican or democratic president in the future.

Wrong

NCa hasn't voted for a republican since 2004. It narrowly voted for Romney if you remove Santa Clara. At that pt it's a little bigger than NJ electorally and regular CA is the size of Ny/FL. No races would have changed. Obama would have still won the electoral college in 2012 even if you give Romney New CA

Romney would need to flip both Ohio and Fl on top of NCa to win 2012 assume Santaclara does't get added to NCaDTuTBkqW0AAwvAV.png

Doesn't mean it's not likely to happen in the future. Like I said this is straight up gerrymandering and Republicans are likely gonna put a ton of pressure on New Ca.

What's not likely to happen? Imperial county and a bunch of socal counties that have trended blue will suddenly reverse course?

Lol

There would be little point to splitting the lines like they are if there wasn't some political gain to be had

well, if i recall, many of california's new laws are of the variety that make even left leaning folks cringe a bit inside, like the most recent one, which ensured that knowingly spreading HIV to anybody would not be counted as a felony. whomever the f*** was responsible for that, is likely one of the people who are now watching the rest of the state (literally) recoil away from them. just saying, there might be something political to be had, but i'm not sure this is as partisan as democrat/republican, it might just be that the left and right agree that whomever is running things right now, does not, and should never, speak for them. they may have had no power to change this, due to the population difference, and thus looked to secession as a state to solve the problem. it sounds like the kind of thing California would do.

Because they lost their minds when Trump won, and they're having a hissy fit about it.

Everything I've read points to Paul Preston and other conservatives doing this, so I highly doubt that this is in retaliation against Trump.

According to the report I read, it's a bunch of super hard-core right-wingers who want to secede from California.  Which surprises me, a lot.  I thought for sure this would be some liberal over-reach but I'd like to learn more.

Nope, no liberals involved here. It's incredible how the majority of the people in this thread are just making a knee-jerk assumption that it must be Democrats or liberals doing this.

In addition, Tim Draper is a registered Republican, although he claims to not "belong" to any party.

So you can scapegoat liberals all you want, but it really doesn't seem like there's much merit to that. We're more interested in trying to turn this state further blue rather than seceding or dividing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this won't be happening anytime soon. Both California and Congress need to decide on this, and good luck getting Congress to act.

Exactly. There's a process to this, and putting aside whether or not congress will act, before California can even decide on this, any ballot measure for this would require a certain number of signatures before it can qualify for the ballot. If there aren't enough signatures to get on the ballot, then this is not going to happen.

Everything I've read points to Paul Preston and other conservatives doing this, so I highly doubt that this is in retaliation against Trump.

Nope, no liberals involved here. It's incredible how the majority of the people in this thread are just making a knee-jerk assumption that it must be Democrats or liberals doing this.

In addition, Tim Draper is a registered Republican, although he claims to not "belong" to any party.

So you can scapegoat liberals all you want, but it really doesn't seem like there's much merit to that. We're more interested in trying to turn this state further blue rather than seceding or dividing.

Exactly. There's a process to this, and putting aside whether or not congress will act, before California can even decide on this, any ballot measure for this would require a certain number of signatures before it can qualify for the ballot. If there aren't enough signatures to get on the ballot, then this is not going to happen.

I love how you just ignored my data backed point so you can pile on about devious republicans

Stay classy Roxas

Not really, sure a lot of liberals hate Trump's guts for their own reasons but so do a lot of conservatives because they feel he betrays the Republican brand and won't do what they want him to do. I might be wrong about who wants this split, but I might be right on the reasoning again these "New California" people are probably mad at Trump and want to throw a tantrum about it until they get their way.

Unless SoCal radically changes or more bay counties are cut, yes

Not exactly a great scheme by the evil republicans

No not evil just low IQ. You have to have a sound mind and be able to have some forethought about your actions to be evil.

I love how you just ignored my data backed point so you can pile on about devious republicans

Stay classy Roxas

How am I "piling on about devious Republicans"? All I said was that it seemed more like Republicans are doing this rather than Democrats, and I was rejecting the idea that liberals were doing this as a form of retaliation.

Unless SoCal radically changes or more bay counties are cut, yes

Not exactly a great scheme by the evil republicans

Exaggerating what I said does not help this discussion at all. Please stick to what I actually said and don't try to derail this with your own personal hyperbole.

Not really, sure a lot of liberals hate Trump's guts for their own reasons but so do a lot of conservatives because they feel he betrays the Republican brand and won't do what they want him to do. I might be wrong about who wants this split, but I might be right on the reasoning again these "New California" people are probably mad at Trump and want to throw a tantrum about it until they get their way.

Okay, that's a fair point. I haven't seen them cite Trump, but I get what you mean. It sounds like their concerns are primarily relating to taxes, which is why they want to leave California, rather than the United States.

Media Matters has an article detailing Paul Preston's personal history, and they cited Fox News describing the bid for New California as “conservatives in California so fed up with liberals running their state.”

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/01/17/fox-news-and-russian-state-media-are-promoting-conspiracy-theorists-california-secessionist-ploy/219089

Looking at the process, the want to organize a Constitutional Convention. However, they're only saying that they will do it during a forty week process, but offer little to no details on how they will accomplish this.

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/720c6a07-3594-44b7-8098-94fc11bae240/downloads/1bs7g2fao_444861.pdf

Archived