An Heroic Return, Support for the oldest E-Heroes of the GX Era (Written)

Charlelot

Hey everyone,

So, after trying to help out the old Destiny HERO archetype a few months ago, it’s now time for me to tackle the good old Elemental HEROes. The cards I am presenting today were designed specifically to upgrade the old heroes used by Jaden in the GX anime but I believe that a creative player would find use for them in other variants of the deck. While the E-H cards based on the manga are all fine and good, I always had a soft spot in my heart for the unique design of the OG Heroes. Which is why it saddens me to see that they are all but forgotten by modern players who only consider the most recent and powerful cards for their decks.

Have a read and tell me what you guys think.

*Latest Update* 02/07/2018

[spoiler=Monster Cards:'']

Elemental HERO Nightwave

Level 4 DARK Warrior/Effect

ATK 1100 DEF 1700

During your Main Phase: you can target 1 face-up ‘’HERO’’ monster on the field or in your GY; this card’s name become the targeted card’s until the end of the turn. While you control a face-up ‘’HERO’’ Fusion Monster, if your opponent activates a card or effect that would target a card you control (Quick Effect): you can send this card from your hand or field to the GY; negate the activation and destroy it. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: you can add 1 card with ‘’Skyscraper’’ in its name from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate each effect of ‘’Elemental HERO Nightwave’’ once per turn.

[spoiler=Spell Cards:'']

Skyscraper 3 – Space Citadel

Field Spell Card

During your Main Phase: you can send up to 3 ‘’Elemental HERO’’ monsters from your hand, field and/or Deck to the GY; Special Summon 1 Fusion monster from your Extra Deck who’s Fusion Material specifically lists the monsters you sent to the GY (this Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon), and if you do, your opponent does not take any battle damage until the end of the turn. You can only use this effect of ‘’Skyscraper 3 – Space Citadel’’ once per turn. When this card leaves the field by an opponent card or effect: you can Special Summon 1 ‘’Elemental HERO’’ monster from your hand, Deck or GY, and if you do, it cannot be destroyed by battle until the end of the turn.

Energy Conversion Monolith

Continuous Spell Card

The Fusion Summon of ‘’Elemental HERO’’ monsters cannot be negated. If a ‘’HERO’’ monster is Special Summoned: you can Special Summon 1 ‘’Neo-Spacian’’ monster or ‘’HERO’’ Normal Monster from your hand or GY, and if you do, it gains 500 ATK and DEF until the end of the turn. If a ‘’Neo-Spacian’’ or ‘’HERO’’ Normal Monster you own is sent to the GY: You can draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of ‘’Energy Conversion Monolith’’ once per turn.

Elemental Melding

Quick-Play Spell Card

Shuffle any number of ‘’Elemental HERO’’ monsters from your GY and/or that you’ve banished into the Deck: Special Summon 1 Fusion monster from your Extra Deck whose Material specifically lists the monsters you’ve shuffled into the Deck (this Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon). When a ‘’HERO’’ Fusion monster leaves the field: you can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 ‘’HERO’’ monster and 1 ‘’Polymerization’’ or ‘’Fusion’’ Spell Card from your GY; add both targets to your hand. You can only activate each effects of ‘’Elemental Melding’’ once per turn. 

[spoiler=Trap Cards:'']

Mysterious Invasion

Continuous Trap Card

During your Main Phase: you can shuffle 1 ‘’Elemental HERO’’ or ‘’Neo-Spacian’’ monster from your hand or field into your Main Deck; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower ‘’Elemental HERO’’ or ‘’Neo-Spacian’’ monster from your Deck, and if you do, its effect is negated until the end of the turn. When a non-Fusion ‘’Elemental HERO’’, ‘’Neo-Spacian’’ or a ‘’HERO’’ Fusion monster who’s Material specifically lists a Normal monster attacks or is attacked: you can target 1 monster your opponent controls; halve its ATK and DEF until the end of the turn. You can only activate each effect of ‘’Mysterious Invasion’’ once per turn.

Enticing Treachery

Counter Trap Card

If you control a face-up ‘’Elemental HERO’’ or ‘’Neo-Spacian’’ monster, when your opponent activates a card or effect that would destroy and/or negate a card or effect you control: negate that activation and destroy it, and if you do, you can add 1 ‘’Elemental HERO’’ or ‘’Neo-Spacian’’ monster from your Deck to your hand. If the only monster(s) you control are face-up ‘’HERO’’ Normal monster(s) and/or ‘’HERO’’ Fusion monster(s) who’s Material specifically lists a Normal monster, you can activate this card directly from your hand.

Elemental Cataclysm

Normal Trap Card

Special Summon up to 2 ‘’Neo-Spacian’’ and/or ‘’HERO’’ Normal monster from your GY in face-up defense position, and if you do, you cannot Special Summon any other monsters this turn except ‘’HERO’’ and/or ‘’Neo-Spacian’’ monsters. When a ‘’HERO’’ Fusion monster you own whose Material specifically lists a Normal monster is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can banish this card from your GY; destroy all monsters your opponent controls. You can only activate each effect of ‘’Elemental Cataclysm’’ once per turn.

[spoiler=Extra Deck:'']

Elemental HERO Ethereal Spectrum

Level 6 DARK Warrior/Fusion/Effect

ATK 2300 DEF 1400

‘’Elemental HERO Nightwave’’ + ‘’Elemental HERO Prisma’’

Must be Fusion Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card can be used as substitute of any 1 Fusion Material whose name is specifically listed on an ‘’HERO’’ Fusion monster, but the other Fusion Material must be correct. (Quick Effect): you can Fusion Summon 1 ‘’Elemental HERO’’ Fusion monster from your Extra Deck using monsters from your hand, field and/or Extra Deck as Material, including this card. If this card leaves the field: you can add 1 ‘’Fifth Hope’’ Spell Card from your Deck or GY to your hand. You can only use each effect of ‘’Elemental HERO Ethereal Spectrum’’ once per turn.

Unsure of what version of the archetype I prefer (with or without Neo-Spacian support), but I still think I should post my ideas and recive some much needed imput for the continuation of this series.

Prisma move over, Nightwave's in town! Jokes aside, this card has almost completely overshadowed Prisma in pure HEROs, whereas the latter can still see use in Gladiator Beasts and the like. Really, apart from that, there's not too much strength to the card; a nice balance. Last effect probably doesn't need that Summoning restriction, as if you're actually playing a Skyscraper, even Skyscraper 3, there's not going to be many other monsters you'll be playing anyway. Glad to see you're actually keeping Prisma playable in the Fusion, although I am sad to see it doesn't take any aspect of either of its Materials, deciding instead to be a purely good card. I would suggest changing that to fit flavour-wise, but it is your call, after all. Nice to see the Fifth Hope reference, although I dunno if that will be enough to run the latter card, especially as we still have Legacy of a Hero.

Citadel might need a slight nerf to no battle damage, as you're going to be working on destroying monsters by battle anyway. Other than that, really great card, even allowing you to use your OG Fusions in tandem with other cards. A good means of support that could easily get the OG Heroes up to 1 each in a Deck, and have triple terraforming to enable them. Monolith is beautiful. Nothing to say there, other than even with how perfectly it support, the blanket Summoning protection might be a tad strong in tandem with the Summoning on Summon effect. Melding seems at first like a more painful Fusion spell, as it sends to the GY as a cost, but is slightly better as a Belongings target from your Deck. Perhaps run at 1, but even so, both effects are rather situational. SS2 Fusing can be helpful, though.

Invasion ties in nicely to the Normal monsters, although Shadow Mist does exist. It also does what the old Skyscraper did for your monsters. Also, flavour :D Good card. Treachery is your mandatory Counter Trap for every archetype, but does its best to be original. Again, situational, but in this day and age with Ash and the various other hand-traps and big bosses, it's not too far fetched. Last effect is okay, I guess, but you're mostly going to have Fusion Summoned with your Normals, rather than leaving them out, and there wouldn't really be cards and effects that you wanted to go through if you had such a bad field already. Perhaps do an Invasion and apply to the Fusions as well? Cataclysm is almost an entirely worse Waboku. Burn damage protection is nice against Trickstars, but if you're going second, you're dead already, and this card still leaves you.open to battle damage. It's only saving grave is its second effect, providing you another Belongings target, but the first effect still keeps it really slow, and the ATK/DEF loss is entirely unnecessary. I mean, since when was NormalMonsterBeatdown.dek a thing? :P

Mostly too weak rather than strong, still a decent collection of cards that make the old E-HEROs relevant while still being semi-useful in other scenarios, without you going overboard in buffing them.

Prisma move over, Nightwave's in town! Jokes aside, this card has almost completely overshadowed Prisma in pure HEROs, whereas the latter can still see use in Gladiator Beasts and the like. Really, apart from that, there's not too much strength to the card; a nice balance. Last effect probably doesn't need that Summoning restriction, as if you're actually playing a Skyscraper, even Skyscraper 3, there's not going to be many other monsters you'll be playing anyway. Glad to see you're actually keeping Prisma playable in the Fusion, although I am sad to see it doesn't take any aspect of either of its Materials, deciding instead to be a purely good card. I would suggest changing that to fit flavour-wise, but it is your call, after all. Nice to see the Fifth Hope reference, although I dunno if that will be enough to run the latter card, especially as we still have Legacy of a Hero.

Citadel might need a slight nerf to no battle damage, as you're going to be working on destroying monsters by battle anyway. Other than that, really great card, even allowing you to use your OG Fusions in tandem with other cards. A good means of support that could easily get the OG Heroes up to 1 each in a Deck, and have triple terraforming to enable them. Monolith is beautiful. Nothing to say there, other than even with how perfectly it support, the blanket Summoning protection might be a tad strong in tandem with the Summoning on Summon effect. Melding seems at first like a more painful Fusion spell, as it sends to the GY as a cost, but is slightly better as a Belongings target from your Deck. Perhaps run at 1, but even so, both effects are rather situational. SS2 Fusing can be helpful, though.

Invasion ties in nicely to the Normal monsters, although Shadow Mist does exist. It also does what the old Skyscraper did for your monsters. Also, flavour :D Good card. Treachery is your mandatory Counter Trap for every archetype, but does its best to be original. Again, situational, but in this day and age with Ash and the various other hand-traps and big bosses, it's not too far fetched. Last effect is okay, I guess, but you're mostly going to have Fusion Summoned with your Normals, rather than leaving them out, and there wouldn't really be cards and effects that you wanted to go through if you had such a bad field already. Perhaps do an Invasion and apply to the Fusions as well? Cataclysm is almost an entirely worse Waboku. Burn damage protection is nice against Trickstars, but if you're going second, you're dead already, and this card still leaves you.open to battle damage. It's only saving grave is its second effect, providing you another Belongings target, but the first effect still keeps it really slow, and the ATK/DEF loss is entirely unnecessary. I mean, since when was NormalMonsterBeatdown.dek a thing? :P

Mostly too weak rather than strong, still a decent collection of cards that make the old E-HEROs relevant while still being semi-useful in other scenarios, without you going overboard in buffing them.

Hey Dova,

Thanks for your detailed post. As always it was very helpful for the development of the archetype. I’ve taken your advice in consideration and made a few changes to various card.

As always, tell me what you think.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

So, I decided to return to this archetype and I made some significant changes. Some of you will notice that a few of the modifications also hint at my next update project (wink * wink *)… Stay tuned for that.

In the mean time, feel free to tell me what you think and have a great day.

Archived