Slip through Dimensions and Time with the Beastroid Archetype

Raptor_Fan_Heilos

I made a lot of archetypes before, but I only posted one before, and it was a bad one in terms of balance, so I decided to post one of the newer one's I've been working one since I really like this one. I hope this one goes a lot better.

Beastroids are an Archetype of Beast-Warrior and Winged Beast monsters that supposed to be Dimensional Time cops. Their focus is around banishing themselves to start chains, while being able to build up chain links to use their other effects. The banishing effect to save themselves was based around an old deck called chain beat, which used Wind-Up Rabbit, and Evilswarm Thunderbird to attack, while banishing themselves to save themselves from cards like Raigeki, Dark Hole, or battle traps, while also making use of cards that would help them out when returning to the field. In short playing around chains. Since the Beastroid banish effect returns them to the field not Special Summons it allows them to get around cards that would hinder Special Summoning, or limit the amount of summons you'd get in one turn. They also have effects that help them return back earlier than just the Standby Phase.

What I want this archetype to be: I want it to be a fun deck that I could imagine being made in the game. I wanted it to be competitive, but not unfair to go against (although I am aware of sometimes the overall theme of a deck/archetype can ruin balance, so if you feel that is the case let me know, and if you could know of ways to fix that, let me know as well). I wanted it to be a deck that wouldn’t have people go, “Oh great not this deck again.” As some meta decks can cause at times, so I hope the deck can be something good.

What I don't want this archetype to be: The main thing I am worried about is the idea that Chain Strike could be played in this due to the chain link focus. My hope is since most chains will be involving multiple cards with the same name (as the monsters can activate another effect of their's during a chain link of a certain number or higher) the idea to play chain strike will be gone in this deck. Also I wanted to make sure the deck wasn't too unbalanced, so if there are any balancing issues let me know, and I'll fix them up as soon as possible.

How do Beastroids work?

Beastroid monsters have different effects in these categories

·A base effect that either focuses on when they are summoned/returned from being banished, returning themselves while banished, or Special Summoning themselves. All three of these are meant to start chains, or continue chains to extend your combo.

·Their banish effect.

·An effect that they can only activate unless the chain link is a certain number or higher. The numbers are 2 for minor searching effects and attack buffing, 3 for field disruption such as destruction and spinning, and 4 for effects that banish and bounce to the hand (due to how many cards will get bounced)

·Last is their special chain based trick, which is once per chain they can switch their chain link number with another card that was used in the same chain. This can be used to get your effects first, order your own effects to get the best combo out of them, or use this to dodge negation based spell speed 2 effects.

With all of this out of the way onto the cards.

Important Note: I'm not the one who made the artwork for these cards. All the art done here was done by Tysontan on Deviantart https://tysontan.deviantart.com/ I recommend going to check out his art if you like the art here, and support their stuff if you want. All the cards have him listed as the artist of the pictures.

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

RrvIdH3.jpg

Beastroid Squad Rabbit

EARTH Level 4 Beast-Warrior / Effect

If a "Beastroid" monster you control is Summoned, or returns to the field while this card is banished: You can return this banished card to the field. You can only activate this effect of "Beastroid Squad Rabbit" once per turn. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can add 1 "Beastroid" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate this effect as a Chain Link 2 or higher. Once per Chain, you can switch the Chain Link number of this card with another card in the same Chain. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish this card until your next Standby Phase.

ATK/1800 DEF/1500

3tdSaFn.jpg

Beastroid Wallop Rabbit

If an opponent's monster attacks directly while this card is banished: You can return this banished card to the field. You can only activate this effect of "Beastroid Wallop Rabbit" once per turn. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can Destroy 1 card on the field. You can only activate this effect as a Chain Link 3 or higher. Once per Chain, you can switch the Chain Link number of this card with another card in the same Chain. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish this card until your next Standby Phase.

ATK/2000 DEF/1800

s13Ks4c.jpg

Beastroid Sonic Peacock

WIND Level 4 Winged Beast / Effect

If a "Beastroid" monster you control activates an effect that starts a chain: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only Special Summon 1 "Beastroid Sonic Peacock" once per turn this way. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can Shuffle 1 card on the field into the Deck. You can only activate this effect as a Chain Link 3 or higher. Once per Chain, you can switch the Chain Link number of this card with another card in the same Chain. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish this card until your next Standby Phase.

ATK/1700 DEF/1700

HY3qL78.jpg

Beastroid Rescue Kitsune

If this card is Summoned, or if this banished card returns to the field: You can target 1 "Beastroid" monster in your GY; add it to your hand. You can only activate this effect of "Beastroid Rescue Kitsune" once per turn. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can add 1 "Security" Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate this effect as a Chain Link 2 or higher. Once per Chain, you can switch the Chain Link number of this card with another card in the same Chain. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish this card until your next Standby Phase.

ATK/1500 DEF/1800

OwM7L9l.jpg

Beastroid Secretary, Lina

LIGHT Level 5 Beast-Warrior / Effect

If you have another banished "Beastroid" monster while this card is banished, or in your hand: You can Special Summon this card, also you can return 1 of your banished "Beastroid" monster’s to the field. You can only use this effect of "Beastroid Secretary Lina" once per turn. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can return up to 2 cards on the field to the hand. You can only activate this effect as a Chain Link 4 or higher. Once per Chain, you can switch the Chain Link number of this card with another card in the same Chain. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish this card until your next Standby Phase.

ATK/2100 DEF/1800

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters]

WQh8uv0.jpg

Beastroid Officer, Ravnica

WATER Rank 4 Beast-Warrior / Xyz / Effect

2 Level 4 "Beastroid" monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material, Special Summon 1 "Beastroid" monster that is banished, or from your Deck. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish cards from your opponent's hand, field, and/or GY up to the Chain Link number on this card. You can only activate this effect as a Chain Link 4 or higher. Once per Chain, you can switch the Chain Link number of this card with another card in the same Chain. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish this card until your next Standby Phase.

ATK/2500 DEF/2000

KQZrkpU.jpg

Beastroid Twin Officers, Rain and River

WATER Rank 4 Beast-Warrior / Xyz / Effect

2 Level 4 "Beastroid" monsters

This card can attack twice during the Battle Phase. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, double this card's current ATK. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can have this card gain ATK equal to 400 times the Chain Link number on this card. You can only activate this effect as a Chain Link 2 or higher. Once per Chain, you can switch the Chain Link number of this card with another card in the same Chain. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish this card until your next Standby Phase.

ATK/1500 DEF/2000

[spoiler=Spell/Trap Cards]

z9cE2WK.jpg

Security Measure, Armed and Dangerous

Quick Play Spell

Special Summon 1 "Beastroid" monster from the Deck. The Special Summoned monster gains 500 ATK (this ATK increase lasts even if the monster is banished by its own effect). You can only activate this effect of "Security Measure, Armed and Dangerous" once per turn. Once per turn, you can banish this card from your GY; add it to your hand during your 2nd Standby Phase after activation. You can only activate this effect as a Chain Link 3 or higher.

y8TLjDc.jpg

Security Measure, On Guard

Quick Play Spell

Special Summon 1 of your Banished "Beastroid" monsters. The Special Summoned monster gains 500 ATK, also it cannot be destroyed by battle until the end of the Battle Phase. During that Battle Phase, all monsters your opponent controls must battle the Special Summoned monster. You can only activate this effect of "Security Measure, On Guard" once per turn. Once per turn, you can banish this card from your GY; add it to your hand during your 2nd Standby Phase after activation. You can only activate this effect as a Chain Link 2 or higher.

ccxerw9.jpg

Security Measure, Contact Through Dimensions

Normal Spell

Reveal 3 "Beastroid" and/or "Security" cards with different names from your Deck. Your opponent chooses 1 of them to add to your hand, then banish the rest. During your next Main Phase 1 after this effect's activation, shuffle the banished cards into your Deck, then draw 1 card. During your Main Phase 2: You can banish this card from your GY, shuffle this card back into your deck during the End Phase, then draw 1 card.

fMQ4Y48.jpg

Security Setup, Defensive Maneuver

Normal Trap

Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects if this card's Chain Link number is 4 or higher for the rest of the chain. If you have 2 or more banished "Beastroid" monsters, you can activate this card from your hand. Special Summon 2 of your banished "Beastroid" monsters. During your opponent's turn: You can banish this card from your GY, Special Summon 1 "Beastroid" monster that is banished, or from your hand, also shuffle this card back into your Deck during the End Phase, then banish 1 "Beastroid" monster from your Deck, and if you do, return it to the field during your next Standby Phase. You can only activate 1 "Security Setup, Defensive Maneuver" once per turn.

Let me know what you think of the cards. The Pros and Cons of each, and if there are balancing issues let me know what you think should be done to fix them. I hope you enjoyed the Archetype overall.

Changing Chain Number...really not sure how that will work. I mean, cards like Cydrafinity say "negate that effect", so regardless of the chain's position, one could argue it will still negate the same effect. Then again, you have the two points of it having to directly respond to an effect in order to negate it, and the fact that what if one of your Beastroids moves after the card that would negate. It's a tricky one, I'll give you that, and I can't say I like it. But I do like your basic theming in regards to bringing back Chain beatdown. However, being able to dodge negation effects means that unless your opponent can negate twice per chain, your monster can always dodge. I would suggest leaving it at Once per turn, just to be on the safe side for now. It's an untested zone, so one might say your cards should be in Experimental...but it doesn't seem too far fetched. Other than that, it being your own choice for the monster's effect, I can't really say that you should remove it or not. I just ask, is it necessary for the archetype?

Also, side note, I think for returning monsters to the field, I don't think you can just generically Golden Sarcophagus a monster from your Deck, then activate an effect to "return it to the field". To the deck, maybe. In your card effects, I think you should specify a "monster banished from your side of the field" or something.

As for the actual main deck monsters, there's surprisingly little to say. If you ignore the weirdness of their chain swapping effects, they're definitely not bad cards. I'm a little concerned with the fact that none of them target, completely getting over that means of protection, especially with powerful forms of removal like on Lina. However, I think their Chain Link restrictions are fine, with the exception of Peacock, which I definitely think should target, as spinning is again a very powerful tool. Really, you seem to have Chain Link ordering and timing down-pat, and have a very clear idea of what you want and how you wanted it to work. Your monsters combine together to make a decently fast set of cards, and...yeah. They work, without being broken. 

But then we have Ravnica. Minimum banish 4 non-targeting basically completely better Trishula? What? Alright, say you Summoned Ravnica turn 1. If you have a banished Squad Rabbit and/or a Peacock in your hand and/or a Quick-Play Spell in your hand, you have all the tools to immediately kill 4 cards from your opponent's hand before they've even had a turn to play, considering Ravnica herself already provides TWO of the three Chain Links necessary in order to activate her banish effect (Summon from Deck + banish herself). Trickstar Reincarnation/Droll is one thing, but that's not consistent; all the tools for this set are searchable and support one another. The worst part is the banish effect doesn't even require Xyz Material. You can just keep at it even if your opponent somehow manages to build up a sort of field after you've decimated his. Rain and River is less of a problem, as your opponent can use their resources against it, and if it does banish itself, the ATK gain sort of goes to waste, so that card is fine. It also deals with the problem of beatdown that this archetype didn't do amazingly on.

Armed and Dangerous has ATK gain remain while it leaves the field, oh boy. I'm not even sure if there's even any precedent for this, but I don't think it needs it. Re-adding effect on all the S/T is another reason why Ravnica is dangerous, as you open Armed and Dangerous, grab your Beastroid, Normal Summon another one, Xyz into Ravnica, you have the entire initial setup to Ravnica there. (CL1 Ravnica SS from Deck, CL2 Ravnica banish itself, CL3 Armed and Dangerous in GY, CL4 Ravnica mass banish). On Guard is a little annoying, probably saying something more like "...also it cannot be destroyed by battle this turn. During this turn's Battle Phase, all monsters your opponent controls must attack that Special Summoned monster, if able." as just saying they should battle it might force you to attack your opponent's monsters if Summoned during your own turn. But yeah, on rereading it, the card text means your opponent can still attack if you then immediately banish your Beastroid, so that should be fine. Glad to see Contact isn't a Quick-Play Spell, and is actually rather unique and interesting. No complaints there, and is a nice complementary card to the rest of the archetype. Defensive Maneuver is a good chain stopper, but the effect to SS Beastroids should probably be at the start of the card's text, as I initially thought the entire activating effect was to actually block off the chain. Handtrap capability, so hooray. Dunno if your HOPT was meant to only allow you to use one of the card's effect per turn, but if it wasn't, it should. That last effect...wow. Definitely makes it a Belongings target, considering it grants you two monsters from your Deck. Don't think it needs nerfing, but super hard OPT on that shiz!

Definitely on the strong side rather than the weak side, but for the most part, rather balanced and interesting. Just a few problem cards here and there, and a few generic mistakes, but I think this is a rather decent set, all in all, and as someone who loves massive chains and combos, I think you brought that to reality beautifully.

Changing Chain Number...really not sure how that will work. I mean, cards like Cydrafinity say "negate that effect", so regardless of the chain's position, one could argue it will still negate the same effect. Then again, you have the two points of it having to directly respond to an effect in order to negate it, and the fact that what if one of your Beastroids moves after the card that would negate. It's a tricky one, I'll give you that, and I can't say I like it. But I do like your basic theming in regards to bringing back Chain beatdown. However, being able to dodge negation effects means that unless your opponent can negate twice per chain, your monster can always dodge. I would suggest leaving it at Once per turn, just to be on the safe side for now. It's an untested zone, so one might say your cards should be in Experimental...but it doesn't seem too far fetched. Other than that, it being your own choice for the monster's effect, I can't really say that you should remove it or not. I just ask, is it necessary for the archetype?

Also, side note, I think for returning monsters to the field, I don't think you can just generically Golden Sarcophagus a monster from your Deck, then activate an effect to "return it to the field". To the deck, maybe. In your card effects, I think you should specify a "monster banished from your side of the field" or something.

As for the actual main deck monsters, there's surprisingly little to say. If you ignore the weirdness of their chain swapping effects, they're definitely not bad cards. I'm a little concerned with the fact that none of them target, completely getting over that means of protection, especially with powerful forms of removal like on Lina. However, I think their Chain Link restrictions are fine, with the exception of Peacock, which I definitely think should target, as spinning is again a very powerful tool. Really, you seem to have Chain Link ordering and timing down-pat, and have a very clear idea of what you want and how you wanted it to work. Your monsters combine together to make a decently fast set of cards, and...yeah. They work, without being broken. 

But then we have Ravnica. Minimum banish 4 non-targeting basically completely better Trishula? What? Alright, say you Summoned Ravnica turn 1. If you have a banished Squad Rabbit and/or a Peacock in your hand and/or a Quick-Play Spell in your hand, you have all the tools to immediately kill 4 cards from your opponent's hand before they've even had a turn to play, considering Ravnica herself already provides TWO of the three Chain Links necessary in order to activate her banish effect (Summon from Deck + banish herself). Trickstar Reincarnation/Droll is one thing, but that's not consistent; all the tools for this set are searchable and support one another. The worst part is the banish effect doesn't even require Xyz Material. You can just keep at it even if your opponent somehow manages to build up a sort of field after you've decimated his. Rain and River is less of a problem, as your opponent can use their resources against it, and if it does banish itself, the ATK gain sort of goes to waste, so that card is fine. It also deals with the problem of beatdown that this archetype didn't do amazingly on.

Armed and Dangerous has ATK gain remain while it leaves the field, oh boy. I'm not even sure if there's even any precedent for this, but I don't think it needs it. Re-adding effect on all the S/T is another reason why Ravnica is dangerous, as you open Armed and Dangerous, grab your Beastroid, Normal Summon another one, Xyz into Ravnica, you have the entire initial setup to Ravnica there. (CL1 Ravnica SS from Deck, CL2 Ravnica banish itself, CL3 Armed and Dangerous in GY, CL4 Ravnica mass banish). On Guard is a little annoying, probably saying something more like "...also it cannot be destroyed by battle this turn. During this turn's Battle Phase, all monsters your opponent controls must attack that Special Summoned monster, if able." as just saying they should battle it might force you to attack your opponent's monsters if Summoned during your own turn. But yeah, on rereading it, the card text means your opponent can still attack if you then immediately banish your Beastroid, so that should be fine. Glad to see Contact isn't a Quick-Play Spell, and is actually rather unique and interesting. No complaints there, and is a nice complementary card to the rest of the archetype. Defensive Maneuver is a good chain stopper, but the effect to SS Beastroids should probably be at the start of the card's text, as I initially thought the entire activating effect was to actually block off the chain. Handtrap capability, so hooray. Dunno if your HOPT was meant to only allow you to use one of the card's effect per turn, but if it wasn't, it should. That last effect...wow. Definitely makes it a Belongings target, considering it grants you two monsters from your Deck. Don't think it needs nerfing, but super hard OPT on that shiz!

Definitely on the strong side rather than the weak side, but for the most part, rather balanced and interesting. Just a few problem cards here and there, and a few generic mistakes, but I think this is a rather decent set, all in all, and as someone who loves massive chains and combos, I think you brought that to reality beautifully.

In regards to the Gold Sarc thing, mind explaining that more. I didn't intend for them to be summoned via that. If that's a wording issue, then I'll try to fix it. I was trying to keep it to Konami's maximum 7 lines for monster text.

Changing Chain number is basically as you explained it. Although there are still parts which are odd as well. It's not a required part of it (the banishing themselves are as that's the main way of building chains, but swapping isn't much). I added the swap mechanic to add more thought to how a player could want chains to resolve for combos with the spells/traps. Plus I like odd mechanics, or messing with a previously established mechanic to add some spice to a game, but if it becomes to confusing then I may remove it. I showed this mechanic to friends and they were fine with it for the most part, but my friend who plays Yugioh a lot said it was a weird thing to rule on, so maybe if I get more votes to just remove the mechanic I will, as I still see them as a strong deck without changing chain order.

I am a fan of non targeting as so many annoying boss monsters now are just flat out immune to targeting, or will just dodge out of the way if they are targeted. I do understand though that Peacock's is a bit much since spinning is super strong even if it targets, so I may just make his target. Lina's text then would most likely be changed as well to only target and bounce 1 card as well.

Ravnica I felt may be a bit much. Funny enough her old chain link 4 was just a trish effect, nothing else. I thought the idea of doing something based off of chain numbers would be better suited for a deck boss, but you bring up a point I was thinking about, and I will just switch it back to the old one, as I don't want to hand loop anyone (I hate trickstars for it heavily). I was more worried about Rain and River for OTK's, but you brought up a good point of any well timed card from my opponent would ruin that as I would have to remove her from field. I'll edit Ravnica first to make her more sensible.

I'm going to remove the ATK boost staying if they banish themselves for Armed and Dangerous, now that you bring it up. Rule wise it couldn't work at all as the rules have it that once the monster with a boost leaves field it looses the boost. That effect would fit a continuous spell if that spell leaves field, so yeah I'll fix that part. On Guard yeah I'll change the text to that, as I meant that must attack the monster for my opponents, as it was mainly meant as card to use to defend yourself, but also allowable for your own combos. Otherwise it works exactly on how you said it. Defensive Manuever's HOPT was meant for the whole card as you first guessed, and I'll move that Chain Restriction effect, where do you think it should go on the card?

I thank you a lot for your review and I'm glad the archetype is not ridiculous. I'm sorry for confusion with card texts and I'll work on that in the future.

Whoops meant to quote you my bad.

Defensive Manuever's HOPT was meant for the whole card as you first guessed, and I'll move that Chain Restriction effect, where do you think it should go on the card?

Special Summon 2 of your banished "Beastroid" monsters. If this card's Chain Link number is 4 or higher for the rest of the chain, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response this card or any other card's or effects in this chain. If you have 2 or more banished "Beastroid" monsters, you can activate this card from your hand. 

Just rearranging it slightly. The restriction effect goes after the main effect, as it isn't part of the effect that resolves. It is an effect applied at activation, similar to "Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this card's activation." and although I added quite a bit more text, I think it's clearer that's it's not something that would only apply if it resolves.

By the way, I think you did a decent job at making a Deck that is fun to play against and with, although its cards like Defensive Maneuver that do pure blocking that would make it annoying to play against, as it simply shuts off your opponent. You keeping this to a minimum does help. I also love how you've done the same thing with chain order that Konami has forced players to do with monster placement, and I think adds another layer of strategy to your plays.

Special Summon 2 of your banished "Beastroid" monsters. If this card's Chain Link number is 4 or higher for the rest of the chain, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response this card or any other card's or effects in this chain. If you have 2 or more banished "Beastroid" monsters, you can activate this card from your hand. 

Just rearranging it slightly. The restriction effect goes after the main effect, as it isn't part of the effect that resolves. It is an effect applied at activation, similar to "Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this card's activation." and although I added quite a bit more text, I think it's clearer that's it's not something that would only apply if it resolves.

By the way, I think you did a decent job at making a Deck that is fun to play against and with, although its cards like Defensive Maneuver that do pure blocking that would make it annoying to play against, as it simply shuts off your opponent. You keeping this to a minimum does help. I also love how you've done the same thing with chain order that Konami has forced players to do with monster placement, and I think adds another layer of strategy to your plays.

Thank you so much, and yeah I'll go fix that word order right away, and as for the Ravnica thing, would you prefer the effect to just be trish's effect at a chain link 4 or higher?

Thank you so much, and yeah I'll go fix that word order right away, and as for the Ravnica thing, would you prefer the effect to just be trish's effect at a chain link 4 or higher?

Yes, actually. This will prevent shenanigans if you went even Chain Link 5 or higher (fun fact, if you went Chain Link 6 first turn, you couldn't activate it/wouldn't resolve, as your opponent wouldn't have enough cards for it to activate) Anyway, be sure to use Trishula wording, so you can at least banish 1 random card from your opponent's hand.

Yes, actually. This will prevent shenanigans if you went even Chain Link 5 or higher (fun fact, if you went Chain Link 6 first turn, you couldn't activate it/wouldn't resolve, as your opponent wouldn't have enough cards for it to activate) Anyway, be sure to use Trishula wording, so you can at least banish 1 random card from your opponent's hand.

Thanks I'll get right to work.

Archived