The Election Of A New Staff Member

Flame Dragon

Fully agree, this is just going to lead to "X got banned, funk you mido/winter/rewas/whoever for voting for *whoever got him banned*"

Excuse me????

Nobody will think Hallo is to blame! I'm a good boy with pure intentions of making YCM a better place, so my vote won't affect anyone!

tbh I don't care if the votes are public or not.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

public or not, the first thing that should be understood is that each person has their own opinions on who they vote for, and everybody running has their own reasons for running. it's rather pointless to complain after the votes have been tallied, and that's likely the time, if at all, that the votes will be made public anyways.

If anything we could have the numbers posted at the end of each day but that's not super necessary in my eyes.

As far as who voted who...probably not. The only idea would be to keep people honest but I think that since all the mods are seeing all the votes they should be able to, together, figure out if there's any votes that are concerning.

If anything we could have the numbers posted at the end of each day but that's not super necessary in my eyes.

As far as who voted who...probably not. The only idea would be to keep people honest but I think that since all the mods are seeing all the votes they should be able to, together, figure out if there's any votes that are concerning.

with preferential voting, there is no meaningful result until all votes are received, as they are tallied as a group.

This also means that, even after the votes have all been received and tallied, there won't be "total votes" for people.

What I'd like to see at the end of all this, however, is the number of total members who voted. I'm actually super curious about how many people are interested enough to vote.

Yeah there's no way of updating the status of the election with this voting method unless you plug in the numbers into the system and reproduce proper mini-election results for that day.

It'd be rather demanding to do so. Let's just remain patient for Saturday and then, I do like the idea of seeing the total number of votes. Not the identities, just the numbers. It sounds like a very useful statistic to keep recorded for these kinds of events.

I don't think I'll follow up with a speech of my own. The position is very general and there aren't concrete plans anybody seems to need the position to do in urgency. I can just promise I'll do my best taking action when something does come up. Regardless of who wins this, the needs of the forum keep being the needs of the forum after all. 

I'd touch on the subject of communication, and I am interested in it, but the mods seem to be improving things already as is.

I'll just take this chance to thank everybody that named me and that votes for me. It makes me really happy to hear I'm held in as high regard as I am. =)

I want to take this time to remind everyone that you do not need to vote for all 10 nominees.  Each vote you cast is worth one point.  If you send us ten votes, one vote will go to each candidate.  This does not meant the current tally is even (it's far from that) but I want you all to be clear on what's being done.

I want to take this time to remind everyone that you do not need to vote for all 10 nominees.  Each vote you cast is worth one point.  If you send us ten votes, one vote will go to each candidate.  This does not meant the current tally is even (it's far from that) but I want you all to be clear on what's being done.

Wait...I think I thought it was different.

I thought the election was using the alternative vote method?

The alternative vote has people rank their candidates. It only is supposed to take 1 vote per voter, which is the higher rank in that  person's vote that is still in the race.

You are kind of making it sound like if I name all 10 candidates in a vote, it'll simply distribute 1 point to each one instead of taking into account "best to worst".

No, we've kept each list.  And so far we've tallied everything.  With that in mind, this may have been in error on the mod forum because we were tallying everything in total.  Again, nothing is even.  There are people who are trailing far and people who are very much ahead because not everyone has sent ten votes.

No, we've kept each list.  And so far we've tallied everything.  With that in mind, this may have been in error on the mod forum because we were tallying everything in total.  Again, nothing is even.  There are people who are trailing far and people who are very much ahead because not everyone has sent ten votes.

Oh, well, in that case, I might have very pointlessly voted for everyone equally. If that's the case, what's the current stance on changing votes?

Oh, well, in that case, I might have very pointlessly voted for everyone equally. If that's the case, what's the current stance on changing votes?

If you misunderstood the process and would like to re-cast your votes, NOW IS THE TIME.  Do not let this pass you by.  Follow up on your previous PM and inform us immediately, please.

Are you sure, dad? Because what you are saying now doesn't line up with what flame had said, and basically ignores all the advantages of the preferential voting system that was put forth.

I'm pretty sure because as soon as the collection was started in the mod forum, everything was being counted and tallied in total.

This makes me think there was a misunderstanding at the moment of explaining what Alternative Vote is.

In Alternative Vote, you are supposed to just list each candidate once, because the ranking the voter gives to each is what matters. It's not cumulative chips where you say " I wanna vote 6 to Black, 4 to Krow, and nobody else". If you are giving "voting points", the OP did not say you get to distribute 10 points or anything like that. The OP said "Alternative Vote".

Or is this just being counted like that for the status update? Under Alternative Vote, that'd just showcase a difference due to the names people did not bother to rank.

If you are not using the Alternative Vote after all, I guess better update that OP.

Though it doesn't feel well that this is being stated now when the thread is in page 2 and people have already submitted votes in a different format.

I'm pretty sure because as soon as the collection was started in the mod forum, everything was being counted and tallied in total.

And who all was talking? The only ones who have seen my vote are you and Sakura.

I'm going to wait from word from Flame, because this blatantly opposes what is said in the OP.

Read the OP.

Flame very clearly says to order the candidates from most preferred to least. He cites this as the preferential voting method outlined in the other thread, which was explained multiple times by both Sleepy and myself. Read the explanation. Watch the video.

You misunderstand how the system that was decided upon works, and are now misleading people. Don't just assume things are one way, when it was clearly stated to be another.

The thread in mod forum wasn't made by me.  Flame started the thread and gave a basic outline with vote pms then it was all tallied.  I've simply been keeping the tally updated.

so as it stands, you're merely keeping tally correct? so that would mean the method of actual selection/ the actual selection has yet to be  enacted? if so then there's no real reason to change votes, at least not much reason, since you can, if need be create a cutoff point, like a top 5 or some other such method should things change.

Archived