The Election Of A New Staff Member

Flame Dragon

I like Giga, he's very high up on my list of ideal mods, but he's not the top spot. There's not point trying to sink him to back someone who won't win

It's like voting 3rd party. Stupid

The system of voting literally supports voting for less popular candidates without risk of repercussion. If you vote for 3 people ahead of me, and none of them make it, your vote counts as one for myself.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The system of voting literally supports voting for less popular candidates without risk of repercussion. If you vote for 3 people ahead of me, and none of them make it, your vote counts as one for myself.

Wait what....

So what happens if someone else gets a plurality.

For arguments sake, let's say I support X, X doesn't win, but you also don't get a majority, and someone has a plurality that is nether you nor X

In any case, I'm 95% happy with my choices. No matter who wins, this is a huge moment for YCM

It's like voting 3rd party. Stupid

while i disagree with you on this, i understand why you think this way, but i'm gonna have to say i'm rather sure that while popular, the overlap of popular candidates in and of itself is also capable of negating some of that popularity. at least in this case. that's what makes this election interesting.

and in the case of your above example, i believe we either revote, or the closest to majority may get it.

It's not even confusing. The candidate with the least support is removed, then any vote that was for them is replaced by that voter's next choice down the line. This is repeated until there is a majority win. It means that, even if a voter's first, second, third, etc picks don't win, they still were able to give input on the outcome. It takes a bit of adjusting to, but this system is used for a reason, and works especially well in a ballot with 6 wildcards.

I completely forgot, but I was rereading OP to double check the end date and...

1) We are talking about the possibility of second also getting a mod slot. THIS IS ONLY A POSSIBILITY. I will say by Friday if it will be 1 or 2.

We didn't hear anything about this.

'facepaws'

The lack of communication with each other is...disconcerting.

I think it's understandable. It's just been a day so just asking about it briefly like Black did is a good approach IMO.

A day or so of delay is not a huge deal for what was pretty much just an estimate. 

Things are fiiiiine. xP

Sorry about forgetting about the mod number thing. We are going to go with 2 new mods for this.

We also won't publicly post the votes since it doesn't seem to be any big need for it.

Will you post generic stats though?

Like which people got eliminated in which round? That would be useful data for future elections, but also won't put voters on the spot?

So, a thought came to mind that may have some unattended consequences. Based on how the Alternative Vote is structured, it does well in producing a single winner. As we are doing two winners, that complicates things. If we were to do one count, then whoever wins the majority would influence who gets runner up. Why? Perhaps those higher than the winner/runner-up on some ballots got knocked out early (or those one spot below the winner) would have had some chance at the second spot otherwise. My solution is to do two counts. Do the first count for the first spot, then do a second count with the same ballots, except the first winner would have their name taken out (which would result in everyone lower than the first winner on the ballots to move up one spot). I think this would help minimize the influence of the majority winner on who gets the other spot.

And I may just be overthinking, but I do think this is a valid point that should receive some consideration.

So, a thought came to mind that may have some unattended consequences. Based on how the Alternative Vote is structured, it does well in producing a single winner. As we are doing two winners, that complicates things. If we were to do one count, then whoever wins the majority would influence who gets runner up. Why? Perhaps those higher than the winner/runner-up on some ballots got knocked out early (or those one spot below the winner) would have had some chance at the second spot otherwise. My solution is to do two counts. Do the first count for the first spot, then do a second count with the same ballots, except the first winner would have their name taken out (which would result in everyone lower than the first winner on the ballots to move up one spot). I think this would help minimize the influence of the majority winner on who gets the other spot.

And I may just be overthinking, but I do think this is a valid point that should receive some consideration.

Literally just process the ballots again after removing the 1st place winner.

Just did a count. I feel like I'm super live to have made a mistake, so if a 3rd party would be willing to look over my results I'd appreciate it. I'd just remove who it was that submitted the votes. (Part of me still wants to do that publicly just to make sure no mistakes happened when we recorded them)

Archived