The Election Of A New Staff Member

Flame Dragon

You're god damn right I do.

We only had 4 days to vote for this? f***ing "Best Waifu" tournaments in Polls get 2 weeks yet we closed this poll in one weekend? I've bought s*** off Amazon before this poll came up and I still don't have it, and you have the f***ing nerve to close after 4 days? Get out.

Do want to point out there was a decent amount of prep for the election, sort of like a campaign period as it were, the literal voting wouldn’t (shouldn’t) take too terribly long, and if someone couldn’t be active during the election time, that’s unfortunate, but that’s the way it is. The voting didn’t extend to much longer because it really shouldn’t need too.

Although Winter is sort of correct, I will say that everyone has a right to input about how this was run and how it can change in the future.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She can say whatever she wants, but her complaints about the time for the second round being too short rings a bit hollow when she never bothered to get engaged in the first round which was a lot longer than 4 days

It actually wasn't. Zai made the first thread at 9 am on the 13th and I closed it at 4 am on the 18th. It was a little under 5 days. While the bulk of the votes came in before the final day, we still got votes on that day and we certainly would have gotten more had it been left open another couple days. Given the margins people won by a few more votes could have easily made a difference.

As Dad said, we did rush through everything and a lot of it was being figured out on the fly. We should have had a lot more things figured out and rules in place before we went ahead with everything.

It actually wasn't. Zai made the first thread at 9 am on the 13th and I closed it at 4 am on the 18th. It was a little under 5 days. While the bulk of the votes came in before the final day, we still got votes on that day and we certainly would have gotten more had it been left open another couple days. Given the margins people won by a few more votes could have easily made a difference.

As Dad said, we did rush through everything and a lot of it was being figured out on the fly. We should have had a lot more things figured out and rules in place before we went ahead with everything.

YCM has about 50 regular users (and 500 some guests) on at a time

mTDYttG.png

In order to get Yui to beat black

Both Cowcow and Yui would need to earn 2 extra voted in the early rounds (it becomes a lot harder later one)

That translates to a 13% increase in voter participation, and all of it going to Yui and Cow (to edge out Black)

Look...my person didn't win. I'm not throwing a fit afterwards cause this is what democracy looks like. You guys have nothing to apologize for 

I'm surprised that people waited to the last day to vote. I personally voted on the first day.

Kudos for at least allowing our voices to be heard and admitting that things could of gone better. It's been a rollercoaster rkde these last two weeks lol.

Everyone has a right to complain, even if their complaint is ultimately invalid. Just because a view is one you disagree with does not mean that it should be ignored.

I disagree with Pika, but it is important that the input is at least taken into consideration by the mod team. Criticisms being ignored or simply written off, rather than given proper consideration, is literally what got relations to the point where this election was needed. CowCow's openness to even a dissenting opinion proves that he was a good choice for this.

No matter how invalid a concern may be, every member has a right to complain if they feel something was done wrong.

Everyone has a right to complain, even if their complaint is ultimately invalid. Just because a view is one you disagree with does not mean that it should be ignored.

I disagree with Pika, but it is important that the input is at least taken into consideration by the mod team. Criticisms being ignored or simply written off, rather than given proper consideration, is literally what got relations to the point where this election was needed. CowCow's openness to even a dissenting opinion proves that he was a good choice for this.

No matter how invalid a concern may be, every member has a right to complain if they feel something was done wrong.

There's something unsettling about saying you want more time to get involved, but never utilized the time you had given

I think it's a valid complaint, but it would come off as stronger if someone who actually cared enough to participate in the election complained rather than someone who shows up after it's all over to arm chair quarterback

There were some internal concerns among us about how this was handled timing-wise, and PMs from some of you pertaining to particular candidates. We didn't ignore them, but they weren't accounted for at the time this thread went up. 

Perhaps we could've given a bit more time (maybe a full week) and/or planned this out properly, but we'll just have to use this as a lesson for the next election, whenever that gets held.

What do you all think is an appropriate time frame for voting?

I'm surprised that people waited to the last day to vote. I personally voted on the first day.

Kudos for at least allowing our voices to be heard and admitting that things could of gone better. It's been a rollercoaster rkde these last two weeks lol.

Probably got delayed due to life and other things (though some users did mention missing the cutoff due to RL). Or they want to look over the candidates properly before making a decision since they're out of the loop with things. You'd need to ask them specifically for reasons. 

We're not perfect, but your input is appreciated and something we need to be requesting more of in the future. And yeah, thanks to all of you who voted in the election.

• 4 weeks later...

64o7Vi6.png?1

Ladies! Gentlemen! Randoms!

s4htB8l.png?1

Has it already been four weeks?

Yep, it has! Now, that's not quiiiite a month, but it's close enough that I think it's time to bump this with a discussion about your new moderators. What do you think of what Cow and I have been doing? Anything you'dl ike to see? Thoughts? Concerns?

We're nearing the end of our trial period, so it's nice to hear what the community has to say about the moderators it chose.

I accidentally deleted the formatting stuff while adding the video.

I apologize for that, but it was for fun times... and the choice of video was perfect!

IT WASN'T FUN FOR ME THOUGH, but, seeing as you're an honest moderator, Hallo shall accept your apology.

I shall increase your rating to 6/10 and CowCow gets a 8/10.

You seem good enough, Black. I love how involved you are.

Cow is great too but I have my concerns with how long he can keep up this sort of investment. Extremely high initial investment has been the downfall of a lot of mods I've seen. (EDIT: and I know exactly why, too, and will gladly explain if asked to)

Both of you are good enough either way- for now.

Yeah, you both have been doing pretty well.
I've been a little busy these past 2 or so weeks but whenever I lurk around I see you two around.

The "which mods are online" box also shows either of you at pretty much all times, no matter if I'm up in the early afternoon or trying to fall asleep at 2 in the morning.

From Cow puns to the Member Brawl event, it's all been good so far. Well... most puns.

Quite honestly, the two of you are the best mods on the entire team.

You are both extremely active, as has been mentioned, making you a constant representation of the staff for the member base, and actively reach out to assist members in whatever issues they may have, whether they are new or a veteran.

While some other mods share sentiments of wanting to improve the forum, mod/member relations, and the general atmosphere of YCM, the two of you have pushed forward with an intensity that is positively unheard of in modern times. In the past, mods who were criticized for not taking an active role in change used a defense along the lines of "there just isn't much to do". The two of you have proven that sentiment false. You have sought ways to improve on known issues, and even worked to find ways to help YCM that nobody had thought of before. You have refused to become complacent with how things are, and strove toward making this a better place to be.

You both have been incredibly professional and respectful, even in the face of blatant antagonism. Being able to handle one's emotions and move past personal grievances for the good of the site is an important trait, and one that I personally believe much of the team lacks.

Black and CowCow perfectly exemplify why the mod election was brought about, and have delivered upon the promises they made while moving even further beyond them to perform at a level the mod team had previously denied was possible.

Coward

Coming from a guy who replies with a single funking word outside of Misc.

Elaborate, you buttmunch. What move I made that earned me the title of this so called "Coward"?

This is your verbal warning.  Knock it off or take it to Misc.

Cow is great too but I have my concerns with how long he can keep up this sort of investment. Extremely high initial investment has been the downfall of a lot of mods I've seen. (EDIT: and I know exactly why, too, and will gladly explain if asked to)

Since this is the closest to a criticism I should say a thing.

You're right in one sense. I won't be AS around once I start being able to work again. However when I was working I always went on YCM a few hours in a day every day so at worst people will have to wait for responses till later than I have been. But imma make sure to be open to messages about problems and also check the mod forum for discussions each day. Basically the same as I do now except I won't reply within the hour all the time.

Yeah, you both have been doing pretty well.

I've been a little busy these past 2 or so weeks but whenever I lurk around I see you two around.

The "which mods are online" box also shows either of you at pretty much all times, no matter if I'm up in the early afternoon or trying to fall asleep at 2 in the morning.

From Cow puns to the Member Brawl event, it's all been good so far. Well... most puns.

Y'all both get As across the board.

Quite honestly, the two of you are the best mods on the entire team.

You are both extremely active, as has been mentioned, making you a constant representation of the staff for the member base, and actively reach out to assist members in whatever issues they may have, whether they are new or a veteran.

While some other mods share sentiments of wanting to improve the forum, mod/member relations, and the general atmosphere of YCM, the two of you have pushed forward with an intensity that is positively unheard of in modern times. In the past, mods who were criticized for not taking an active role in change used a defense along the lines of "there just isn't much to do". The two of you have proven that sentiment false. You have sought ways to improve on known issues, and even worked to find ways to help YCM that nobody had thought of before. You have refused to become complacent with how things are, and strove toward making this a better place to be.

You both have been incredibly professional and respectful, even in the face of blatant antagonism. Being able to handle one's emotions and move past personal grievances for the good of the site is an important trait, and one that I personally believe much of the team lacks.

Black and CowCow perfectly exemplify why the mod election was brought about, and have delivered upon the promises they made while moving even further beyond them to perform at a level the mod team had previously denied was possible.

hI5yVHa.png?1

Y-you guys...

I try to keep an eye on the site, even if I'm at work. I wanna know what's going on so that I can address it or enjoy it when I have some free time, or when I'm not doing things with the gfs.

I'll continue to do my best moving forward, entertaining everyone and listening to what they have to say, when they come to me. As I said before, I'm not the PR Mod, but I do want to be on the side of the members, to listen to and speak for them. 

If I funk around with your profiles for fun, provided you consent, that's a cherry on top!

Archived