[DPR] P-Rewind Archetype

Fukato

Prompt: A series of Ritual Spellcasters that utilize ATK to activate effects. Their Ritual Spells use ATK as Tribute instead of Level as Tribute Fodder to Ritual Summon. Moreover, they have a "Reverse Trap" Trap Card of their own that helps boost ATK and even mitigate the ATK cost that the archetype uses. They can reach high ATK with these boosts and go for a one punch kill. Thus they "rewind" their ATK into boosts instead of reductions. 

The ATK boosts these cards can get to are high. Think about a Level 4 monster getting to 4100 ATK with all this. They have a lack of Quick Effects among the monsters at their disposal, leaving them open to card removal but the higher Ritual Monsters can reduce their ATK in order to save themselves.

[spoiler=Monsters]

KBtP0eo.png

Effect: You can activate this effect; make this card lose 800 ATK, and if you do, add 1 "P-Rewind" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "P-Rewind Strategist". If this card is sent from the field to the GY: You can Special Summon, from your Deck, 1 "P-Rewind" monster with ATK equal to or lower than this card's ATK on the field. You can only use each effect of "P-Rewind Strategist" once per turn.

dkwjSOh.png

Effect: You can activate this effect; make this card lose 1000 ATK, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "P-Rewind" monster from your hand or GY. If this card is Tributed: You can target 1 "P-Rewind" card in your GY, except "P-Rewind Peacemaker"; add it to your hand. You can only use each effect of "P-Rewind Peacemaker" once per turn.

0Fpdf90.png

Effect: You can activate this effect; make this card lose 600 ATK, and if you do, add 1 "P-Rewind" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "P-Rewind Watcher" once per turn. If this card is Tributed: You can make all "P-Rewind" monsters you currently control gain 900 ATK.

hYTWioY.png

Effect: You can Ritual Summon this card with "Fragmentation of P-Rewinding Time". Once per turn: You can target 1 "P-Rewind" card in your GY, except "P-Rewind Looping Strider"; make this card lose 1000 ATK, and if you do, add that target to your hand, also all monsters your opponent currently controls gain 1000 ATK. If another "P-Rewind" monster you control loses ATK: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it.

cuxRfCD.png

Effect: You can Ritual Summon this card with "Fragmentation of P-Rewinding Time". Once per turn: You can target 2 "P-Rewind" monsters you control; make them lose exactly 1000 ATK each, and if you do, banish 1 card your opponent controls. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 "P-Rewind" monster you control or in your hand, then target 1 "P-Rewind" monster you control; it gains ATK equal to the Tributed monster's ATK. If this card would be destroyed by battle or card effects, you can make this card lose exactly 1000 ATK instead.

KjcnoB6.png

Effect: You can Ritual Summon this card with "Fragmentation of P-Rewinding Time". Once per turn: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; make this card lose exactly 1000 ATK, and if you do, shuffle that target into the Deck. If a "P-Rewind" monster battles, your opponent cannot activate cards and effects until the end of the Damage Step. If this card would be destroyed by battle or card effects, you can make it lose exactly 500 ATK instead.

P-Rewind Retriever
EARTH Spellcaster Level 4
1800/0
Effect: If this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "P-Rewind" monster from your Deck, except "P-Rewind Retriever", and if you do, reduce this card's ATK exactly by that monster's ATK. If this card is Tributed: You can add 1 "P-Rewind" Ritual Monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "P-Rewind Retriever" once per turn.

[spoiler=Spells/Traps]

BoITJcU.png

Effect: All "P-Rewind" monsters you control and in your hand gain 500 ATK. Once per turn, if a "P-Rewind" monster you control has their ATK lowered (Quick Effect): You can target 1 other "P-Rewind" monster you control; it gains that lost ATK.

hh2yOvB.png

Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "P-Rewind" Ritual Monster. Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total ATK is equal to or more than the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. If this card is in your GY, while you control a "P-Rewind" monster: You can shuffle this card into your Deck; draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Fragmentation of P-Rewinding Time" once per turn.

yNFDvvF.png

Effect: Tribute 1 "P-Rewind" monster you control or in your hand, then target up to 2 cards your opponent controls; destroy them. During your Standby Phase, if this card is in your GY: You can banish it; add 1 "P-Rewind" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "P-Rewind Clock Room" once per turn. 

D7OwMNc.png

Effect: Until the End Phase, all effects that add or subtract ATK/DEF are reversed. (Additions now subtract, and subtractions now add. Multiplications and divisions, including halving/doubling, are not affected.) You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 "P-Rewind" monster you control;  it gains 1000 ATK until the End Phase.

Just tested this on DP, the Trap does NOTHING FOR THE DECK. I have to throw that card into the drawing board and redo its design.

I like the twist with the ATK-reduction theme, and the Rituals requiring ATK or more instead of Levels as they normally do. It really spice what otherwise would be yet-another Ritual archetype loaded with searching and consistency like Nekroz. Also, EARTH/Spellcaster is a refreshing typing to see. IIRC there isn't any official EARTH/Spellcaster archetype yet.

So far everything looks good. The maindeck monsters generate advantage, and conserve it when you use them as materials, except for Watcher but it already has a key role as the archetype Spell searcher. The Rituals look solid enough, but I would say Time Idol is the MVP there: it can banish 2 cards without targeting, has a protection, albeit weakening, effect, can disrupt the opponent by attacking during its MP and pick on weak monsters before they are used as material for bigger ones, all while triggering the float effects of the non-Ritual monsters, and requires less than Princess for its Summon, if only by 200 ATK. Meanwhile, Princess only spins 1, although without conditions unlike Idol's banishing effect, and has more "lives", so to speak, but it's not that big of a boon after losing 1500 ATK from its first effect. I would have expected Princess to be better.

Your card text needs some work, though. For instance, Quick Effects are only for monsters, so for the Field Spell you would have to go for "During either player's turn". Actually, I think it wouldn't need any Fast effect clause, the effect, it should be able to trigger during either player's turn inherently (for example, see "Verdant Sanctuary").

As for Clock Room, you can simplify the last effect with:

You can banish this card from your GY; the ATK of monsters (in the field? hand? both?) become their original ATK.

For other effects involving different and original ATK, you can take tips from the text from cards like Forbidden Scripture, Ragnazero and Tachyon Dragon.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, originally, I thought at first look at this Archetype that it was rather....slow, for a Ritual Archetype. Most of the Ritual support outside of this would either be unusable (Preparation of Rites would only work for Looping Strider, Pre-Prep's DOA since your Ritual Spell doesn't name names...tho Earth Chant may have use as a generic extra) or get in the way of their strategy (a normal Summon of Manju/Senju would probably be better served on a Strategist-who, upon further retrospect is the best non-Ritual thing this Deck has going.) 

But to P-Re Strategist, so much of your Duels-and this Archetype's utility and speed- relies on its presence that I'd think you'd have a way outside itself, to search it. Especially considering none of the Main Deck P-Rewinds self-Summon-semi-decent stats that'd be too quickly activated for a P-Rewind Rewind to be worth reversing, but it does become something with the P-Rewind Tower if you choose to go stag with its first effect.

Plus, it would also go a way toward making P-Re Peacemaker not give the feel of having "good luck without Strategist in hand" stamped all over it. Ritual Summoning with this and allowing it to scrounge the GY could go well towards laddering the P-Re set's plays, though it's almost disarmed with how hand and field intensive Ritual Decks usually are (see the heat Vendreads are getting for not properly addressing this issue.) 

P-Re Watcher  is different though-it could work as a sub-par play with Peacemaker too, grabbing Clock Room in case you need to do some field pruning or Fragmentation if you're set up enough. But again, it speaks to the current biggest issue with this archetype-setting up fast enough to matter, especially for a Ritual Deck. The endgame to it all, however, would make Madolche's go green with envy-

-because P-Re Looping Strider turns your GY into a second hand at the cost of a 2000 point deficiency between itself and your opponent's monsters-one a Clock Tower recoups easily. I almost wish it did this on hittign the GY too, to allow Ritual-into-Ritual synergy for this Deck. Last effect feels too sure of an already established board to really go off, or that you're gonna want to use the resources on this (an issue shared by half of the Main Deck Mermail Abyss bosses), and really, if you have more P-Re monsters in tow, you're likely using them to Ritual Summon P-Re Time Idol. There's a reason I mentioned Madolche earlier-this is Queen Tiaramisu on steroids, offers a way to disrupt strategies before they even BEGIN (which is the real best effect I've seen in the set-this utilized on your opponent's first Normal Summoned monster makes me want to demand you restrict that effect to either a) Special Summoned monsters or b) the Battle Phase, because unless your opponent's got a Gameciel, they're staring down our new overlord, a monster-centric Yata-Garasu. 

There's also a reason I mentioned the Mermail bosses in light of this-much like Abyssbalaen/-leed falling out of vogue due to the resources pouring into them better being used on the lesser and easily more versatile Abyssmegalo/-teus, P-Re Time Princess  feels like the Archetype's win-more card-somethign whose effect, while self-payable, requires more resources than, say, using Trickclown/P-Re Strategist to Summon P-Re Time Idol, floating Strategist into another Strategist and bounce back Clown for 1000, use that 2nd Strategist to tutor another P-Re monster for next turn, bounce 2 with Idol, then Link Summon something and sit pretty.

Battle lockdown on Princess's cute, even if dicey for an ATK-shredding Ritual like this, but again, most player's will have 5000 ATK ready in the Extra Deck for that (Lightning round, anyone?) and again, with this Deck, your biggest threats'll be banished or wrecked BEFORE the Battle Phase comes if you're playing it optimally.  And protection at half the ATK loss of Idol? Tempting, but you've ways around your ATK loss with less needed resources through both your P-Rewind Rewind and Clock Tower for far less board-intensive Rituals you can't even search properly. 

Clock Tower helps soften this Archetype's blows to itself, and recoup them in some cases-don't worry, it can find ways like in the combo I showed earlier, which can be also triggered earlier on, even without Clown immediately on board with a Brilliant Predaplant engine (speaking of which, holy cow, leaving Seraphinite on board in that method is actually viable if you've got Rewind Rewind in the GY, thanks for that Trap.) May be a 2 of, optimally, it doesn't really go into anything outside of itself, its mainly something you either have now or to help swing for game after Idol does its thing.

Fragmentation of the P-Rewind? Really, it's Metalfoes Fusion, but for Rituals. Dunno what else to say for it-besides maybe that it could work like Kaleidoscope-allowing you to Ritual Summon multiple monsters for the same cost-to help streamline the Rituals faster, and maybe unbrick dead hands in unique ways.

Clock Room-okay, I've heard your improvements on Duel Portal, so let me stick with what apparently hasn't changed-namely, that more destruction is not necessarily what the Deck needs in its Spells-it could help to combo off your Main Deck stuff if your opponent isn't biting-or can bite hard enough to undo it all-but it doesn't fix the issues of this Deck in starting off strongly enough. This Deck needs ways to Summon out its main cast besides P-Re Pacemaker, and likely not through a monster, either, lest it risk being overly susceptible to Infinite Transcendance/Solemn Warning. And whether its banishing from GY effect restoring ATK values to original-which could go a way towards making Looper more tolerable, but shouldn't be brought back for that purpose-or its new effect of searching out its entire Archetype as you said on discord-it's good for recoverability (option A) or consistency (option B), but not for speed (Which is what the Archetype needs either way.

And P-Rewind Rewind smacks of a card that activates one turn too late, or so it looks with its wording. If it reverses the ATK losses to the P-Res even after their effects resolves, then I love it and wish to subscribe to your newsletter-if not, it's only gonna be workable on the turn after its set, and would be eclipsed by other Traps that could work to prevent your opponent from giving the sweep to your Ritual -heavy board, or make them regret it. Banishment effects nice for a surprise though-reminds me of Volcanic Counter in making your opponent rescind attacks before even trying to execute them, and in a place most cards don't touch either. Well, until Designator from the Grave comes calling. 

That seems to be it, really-good Ritual Deck who's main weakness is in its lack of speed, and the compatibility with outside cards that could speed it up-though it is rather consistent in getting stuff to the hand. It's only putting it on the field-and doing so in a manner to compensate for the Rituals's relative lack of reliable protection-that makes me worry.

I love the Archetype tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived