school shooting at marshall county, kentucky.

Urayne

for those that remember me you would know im in kentucky.
i move around alot in the state but my current county is graves, just next to marshall county, southwest. and there is no guarantee that you will find me because i move too much.
this is the local news story.
i know bullying is a major problem at this school. and id wager the shooter was a bully victim, and he really lost it. the bullying is so bad that this happened. and the teachers do nothing, and punish those who stand up to bullies. i could imagine (if my wager is correct) why the guy lost it, but it wasnt good.

any thoughts? (moderaters feel free to add some of the details to this post if you want.)

Speaking from experience with bullying, there is a point where you lose the will to live, and if you can take those others down with you, then it’s a 2 for 1.

There is a fine line between needing to “grow up”, and distinct and outright verbal abuse, but that line has to be examined in every instance of bullying, to see if it is or not.

What's with the sympathy for the school shooter? Loads of people get bullied in school and end up leading decent lives. In my opinion, this murderous animal needs to be wiped off this earth.

Those people that live decent lives are the ones that also grew the thickest skin, and are most likely to tolerate more abuse than should be taken. There is a point in which ignoring others is needed but eventually you do need to address it.

What's with the sympathy for the school shooter? Loads of people get bullied in school and end up leading decent lives. In my opinion, this murderous animal needs to be wiped off this earth.

We honestly have no idea what was going on in this kid's personal life. Bullying on top of it can push someone over the edge. It needs to be taught that something like this can happen when you bully people.

There's nothing wrong with humanizing people who commit atrocious acts. I'd argue that categorizing people like him as an animal, a monster, or any kind of "other" makes it harder to discuss the issues that caused this. And there are underlying issues that cause this in the overwhelming majority of cases.

There's nothing wrong with humanizing people who commit atrocious acts. I'd argue that categorizing people like him as an animal, a monster, or any kind of "other" makes it harder to discuss the issues that caused this. And there are underlying issues that cause this in the overwhelming majority of cases.

What's critical about attributing humanity to a criminal is the entailment concluded: the rest of us can succumb to the same as fellow humans. Acknowledging this fortifies the foundation for future deliberations meant to preemptively prevent/deter subsequent crimes of the same ilk, and I thus agree.

Would that the shooter had an iota of that mercy for those he maimed and killed as well as for those families he bereaved and left shaken, but yea, still it is right and meet to be merciful even to those who are not.

Understanding and sympathy aren't the same as mercy. It's possible to believe that someone isn't fully responsible for their circumstances but still deserves the same consequences as someone who is.

I mean I don't believe in harsh punishment and justice in general but someone who does can still afford to try to understand.

I dunno man, mass shootings that involve innocents seem a little bit unreasonable for bullying. I could understand the bully being harmed badly, but That shooter must have been a psychopath from the beginning to shoot up a school because of some harassment. I stand with my first comment...

All I can think is: Here we go again.

Every time I see something political here, I post a paragraph about sentimental super idealist or cynical (depending on the time of day) stuff that ends up making everyone cringe, including me a few hours or minutes later. No more of that.

As for this guy, I pity him because I’m disgusted that people, kids for that matter, can act so badly that they can drive others to such extremes. However, he deserves to be punished in my opinion because maybe he could have thought a bit more about the consequences of his actions and taken it a bit better, but I digress.

In short, I agree (sorta?) with Sunshine Jesse and Lambdadelta, I’m the middle man.

Understanding and sympathy aren't the same as mercy. It's possible to believe that someone isn't fully responsible for their circumstances but still deserves the same consequences as someone who is.

They more or less are, you're just making a distinction between general mercy and judicial mercy. 

I mean I don't believe in harsh punishment and justice in general but someone who does can still afford to try to understand.

Nor do I wherever more dulcet options are feasible, but given a shooter who has no qualms about inflicting such a harsh punishment as gunshot wounds to children, it'd be harsh justice for him to ever be allowed to walk free. I don't think anyone wants more harshness than necessary, but a certain amount of harshness is a part of life.

I dunno man, mass shootings that involve innocents seem a little bit unreasonable for bullying. I could understand the bully being harmed badly, but That shooter must have been a psychopath from the beginning to shoot up a school because of some harassment. I stand with my first comment...

not sure about everything that happened to the kid, but it's not hard to imagine why the bystanders got it too. tell me, do you think any of the people he shot jumped in to save him when he was being bullied? even if they saw it, how many of them stepped in to help him? if he's snapped to the point where he'd kill his bullies, then it's understandable why he might have shot the people standing by, who may well have watched him be bullied, and kept silent about it. sucks, but staying silent, in the eyes of the victim, can be the same as participating in the bullying.

though from the report, he likely hit a few people he didn't mean to. i doubt you'd aim at a disabled kid on purpose, no matter how far you snapped.

not sure about everything that happened to the kid, but it's not hard to imagine why the bystanders got it too. tell me, do you think any of the people he shot jumped in to save him when he was being bullied? even if they saw it, how many of them stepped in to help him? if he's snapped to the point where he'd kill his bullies, then it's understandable why he might have shot the people standing by, who may well have watched him be bullied, and kept silent about it. sucks, but staying silent, in the eyes of the victim, can be the same as participating in the bullying.

though from the report, he likely hit a few people he didn't mean to. i doubt you'd aim at a disabled kid on purpose, no matter how far you snapped.

Well, I'm pretty sure the murderous animal isn't exactly the centre of the universe. Students have their own problems to worry about; you can't expect random people to go help someone who they don't even know, so I don't understand why they should be badly injured/killed over a situation they didn't even have the chance to find out about. And, you never know, the boy may have done something to the bullies beforehand, considering he's a psycho. He could have just knocked the bullies out or grassed instead shooting at innocents and taking lives away. You know, like a normal person. I still stand with my first comment... 

Well, I'm pretty sure the murderous animal isn't exactly the centre of the universe. Students have their own problems to worry about; you can't expect random people to go help someone who they don't even know, so I don't understand why they should be badly injured/killed over a situation they didn't even have the chance to find out about. And, you never know, the boy may have done something to the bullies beforehand, considering he's a psycho. He could have just knocked the bullies out or grassed instead shooting at innocents and taking lives away. You know, like a normal person. I still stand with my first comment... 

did i say it was a justified action? or did i say it was an understandable one? shooting u a school is never justified, but if you cannot even understand why someone would actually do such a thing, then i envy you.

normal people can still do horrible things, until that shooting, he was a normal person. a normal person who was normally bullied, but sure, let's go with your animal comparison. let's say there's a perfectly normal dog in a cage, and you keep funking with it. let's say, just for fun, you kick the sheet out of that dog, every other day. just for shits and giggles. how long do you think it'll be before that dog stops giving a funk and bites the sheet out of anything that sets foot near it? you get me? he was normal, and sure he could have chosen an alternate path, but at the point where somebody is willing to shoot up a school, they've been pushed too far. this isn't like he did it because he had no empathy, he did it because his empathy was bled out of him by a couple asshats. is it a justified action? nope. but it is 100% understandable.

did i say it was a justified action? or did i say it was an understandable one? shooting u a school is never justified, but if you cannot even understand why someone would actually do such a thing, then i envy you.

normal people can still do horrible things, until that shooting, he was a normal person. a normal person who was normally bullied, but sure, let's go with your animal comparison. let's say there's a perfectly normal dog in a cage, and you keep f***ing with it. let's say, just for fun, you kick the s*** out of that dog, every other day. just for shits and giggles. how long do you think it'll be before that dog stops giving a f*** and bites the s*** out of anything that sets foot near it? you get me? he was normal, and sure he could have chosen an alternate path, but at the point where somebody is willing to shoot up a school, they've been pushed too far. this isn't like he did it because he had no empathy, he did it because his empathy was bled out of him by a couple asshats. is it a justified action? nope. but it is 100% understandable.

Sorry, I can't understand psychos. So you have this normal dog who has a family to come back home to. He comes to this place, a dog day care or something like that, with other dogs, and a couple of dogs just won't stop funking with him, day after day. They either torment him or hurt him a little. He still has others to go to; he's not alone, he's not imprisoned in a cage. Then he decides to rip two dogs to shreds and maul another 18. I don't really understand how this works, please can you explain? :D

Sorry, I can't understand psychos. So you have this normal dog who has a family to come back home to. He comes to this place, a dog day care or something like that, with other dogs, and a couple of dogs just won't stop f***ing with him, day after day. They either torment him or hurt him a little. He still has others to go to; he's not alone, he's not imprisoned in a cage. Then he decides to rip two dogs to shreds and maul another 18. I don't really understand how this works, please can you explain? :D

then it's a good thing he's not a psycho, but just a person pushed too far. that family did exactly what to stop the bullying? could they even stop it? or was doggy even capable of telling them? questions worth figuring out. the dogs at the daycare do more than just kick though, they bite him, take his things, and ridicule him publicly, while everybody else with better things to do just look on, some even getting a little doggy chuckle out of it. even the doggy's friends don't help him out. assuming of course, he still has any friends. you know what happens to people who associate with the bullied right? they get bullied, so maybe the other doggy friends already hopped out on him. but those are questions for later, all we know is that the bullying, was likely longer than a year, possibly two years, possibly three years, hell it might have even carried over from middle school, who knows atm? what we do know is that one day, doggy snaps, he grabs his doggy pistol and blasts the s*** out of a couple pets in the daycare. and we've got everybody going "oh look, a psycho, put it down" and thinking that's the end of the story. but you know what? that was the middle of it. what happens here on out determines how the rest of the story goes. sympathize of not, no bully at that school, and no dog that was  present that day, is going to forget what happens when you push another dog too far. trust me, the bullying at that school will drop, if only for a few years. not even the teachers will want to ignore it again, and there's enough bullet holes in those other dogs for them to remember exactly why you don't push other people past the edge. you don't have to understand. i don't think you even want to. and that's fine. the results will speak for themselves.

I would say it's comprehensible rather than understandable. Typically, understanding associates with pity. Circumstance or not, I don't pity him.

Understanding is a good enough word for me. i pity him, and hopefully nobody else at that school will forget exactly what circumstances created that shooter.

I pity him precisely because of his circumstances, and how it could've been any other person in his class in his shoes had they been the one picked on instead.

It's strange to me because I see the same people who will pity this boy because he got bullied but will look at the poor and impoverished and you say "lace up your bootstraps".   And while both of those things are fine, when someone else wants to create a safe place for students, it's shot down because "kids should be thick skinned".  And I just don't understand it.  He can be bullied and shoot up a school and we'll pity him because he suffered, but if someone steals a loaf of bread to feed their hungry family, funk 'em?

Why?  

Archived