Stealth summoning

zepheris

Building upon the FD in grave theme, alongside the fact that columns are now more relevant than before, I decided to make an archetype of cards that stay face down and constantly move around, leaving the opponent unsure of what exactly is face down and where.

The one I'm making down below is based more on swapping cards from my deck for the ones on the field rather than shuffling them around, but I'll be sure to make a column based archetype with the same mechanic sometime in the future.

It's not a separate kind of card, just a subtype, like flip, however, there is a kind of 'stealth summoning', which, similar to pendulum summoning, is a subset of special summoning.

This is the third time I'm rebuilding the skull raiders. I just like the name. It's unrelated to the first 2 times.

Stealth cards function somewhat similar to cards in the hand, wherein they're face down by default, and you 'reveal' them when you're doing something with them.

This could never work in real life, because you're hiding all the cards from the opponent, and you never know when somebody stealth summons barrel dragon in secret. Might work on ygopro though... If they made deck masters work, they can do anything

One thing though, I'm planning on making the whole subtype unable to synchro and xyz, similar to FD monsters. Thus, I'm not giving them any levels. You can't actually normal summon these guys either, they have to be stealth summoned or special summoned in a generic way. Unfortunately, they also have the bad habit of being untargetable while FD, so it becomes really hard to summon them via other means. 

Skull raider: Don the guy who got skewered by Needle Wall (Featuring Don Zaloog)

dark/warrior

atk 1000

def 1800

If your opponent destroys a spell or trap card on either side of the field while this card is in your hand, field, or graveyard, reveal this card; You can stealth summon 1 skull raider monster from your deck. Then, you can set the destroyed spell/trap card on the previously occupied zone and if you do, shuffle this card into the deck. (This card stays revealed until the end of the turn, unles the dude gets put back into the deck.)

That's not actually a part of the card text, just an explanation of the mechanics.

So the reveal is compulsory, you must activate the effect at that very point in time, but the other two effects are optional. A lot of the cards have revealing as the costs. This is actually a cursed mechanic that functions very much like non-necroz rituals, a terrible mechanic in general, but I'm gonna try to give them the necroz treatment.

Skull raider: Cliff the guy that falls through Trap Dustshoot

dark/warrior

atk 1000

def 1800

If your opponent destroys a monster card on either side of the field while this card is in your hand, field, or graveyard, reveal this card; You can stealth summon 1 skull raider monster from your deck. Then, you can set the monster card on the previously occupied zone and if you do, shuffle this card into the deck.

A similar card. The way I'm planning to make this series is that they each have the same summon effect that activates when the opponent performs a particular play, and you can use the cards as many times as you please, as long as you have unrevealed copies anywhere. If your opponent's playing a deck like pend magicians, then you want to be going don zaloog into more don zaloogs. They are overly reliant on the opponent making plays, which kinda balances them (Because this is otherwise an archetype of invisible E-Tele) Think of them as traps in monster form.

Skull Raider: Meanae the one who feels left out (Didn't appear on any generic cards. Sure gorg also didn't, but I'm not making him (Sorry big guy))

dark/warrior

atk 1000

def 1800

If your opponent sends or returns a card on either side of the field to the hand or deck while this card is in your hand, field, or graveyard, reveal this card; You can stealth summon 1 skull raider monster from your deck. Then, you can set sent or returned card on the previously occupied zone and if you do, shuffle this card into the deck.

Bouncing isn't nearly as common as destruction, and shuffling only happens on like 3 cards I know (Castel, chidori, the only reason madolches are still played) so I combined both. Last one is obviously for banishing.

Skull Raider: Chick the guy that really shouldn't be robbing tombs (Timidity)

dark/warrior

atk 1000

def 1800

If your opponent banishes a card on either side of the field while this card is in your hand, field, or graveyard, reveal this card; You can stealth summon 1 skull raider monster from your deck. Then, you can set sent or returned card on the previously occupied zone and if you do, shuffle this card into the deck.

Skull Raider: Tragedy of love (Don and Meanae)

atk 2000

def 2800

You can reveal 3 stealth cards with different names from your hand, field, or graveyard to stealth summon this card from your hand (You do not show this card to your opponent). If this card is stealth summoned, except by its own effect, you must reveal one stealth monster in your hand, field, or graveyard. If your opponent special summons a monster while this card is in your hand, field, or graveyard, reveal this card, then you can stealth summon 2 skull raider monsters from your deck. Then, you can shuffle both this card and the summoned monster into their owner's decks.

Skull Raider: C for Cowardice (Cliff and Chick)

atk 2000                                                      

def 2800                                                                                 

You can reveal 3 stealth cards with different names from your hand, field, or graveyard to stealth summon this card from your hand (You do not show this card to your opponent). If this card is stealth summoned, except by its own effect, you must reveal 1 stealth monster in your hand, field, or graveyard. If your opponent negates a card's effect while this card is in your hand, field, or graveyard, reveal this card, then you can stealth summon 2 skull raider monsters from your deck. Then, you can make that card regain its effects and if you do, shuffle this card into the deck.

I'm not sure how to word this, but I mean anything, skill drain, fiendish chain, hell, rescue cat triggers the effect.

Skull Raider: Leader's guidance (Don and chick)

atk 2000                                                      

def 2800                                                                                 

You can reveal 3 stealth cards with different names from your hand, field, or graveyard to stealth summon this card from your hand (You do not show this card to your opponent). If this card is stealth summoned, except by its own effect, you must reveal 1 stealth monster in your hand, field, or graveyard. If your opponent activates a spell card while this card is in your hand, field, or graveyard, reveal this card, then you can stealth summon 2 skull raider monsters from your deck. Then, you can  negate its effect and if you do, shuffle this card into the deck.

Skull Raider: Founders (Don and Cliff. cliff was indeed the first DS card released, other than burglars.)

atk 2000                                                      

def 2800                                                                                 

You can reveal 3 stealth cards with different names from your hand, field, or graveyard to stealth summon this card from your hand (You do not show this card to your opponent). If this card is stealth summoned, except by its own effect, you must reveal 1 stealth monster in your hand, field, or graveyard. If your opponent activates a trap card while this card is in your hand, field, or graveyard, reveal this card, then you can stealth summon 2 skull raider monsters from your deck. Then, you can negate its effect and if you do, shuffle this card into the deck.

Skull Raider: Drinking party (Don, cliff, and chick)

atk 3000                                                      

def 3800                                                                                 

You can reveal 6 stealth cards with different names from your hand, field, or graveyard to stealth summon this card from your hand (You do not show this card to your opponent). If this card is stealth summoned, except by its own effect, you must reveal all stealth monsters in your hand, field, or graveyard. If you stealth summon a card while this card is in your hand, field, or graveyard, reveal this card, then you can stealth summon 1 skull raider monster from your deck. While you control this revealed monster, face down cards you control cannot be destroyed by card effects. (The stealth cards also can't be targeted, if you recall the generics of this subtype.)

Skull Raider: Burglars (Yep, I'm still leaving out Gorg. The fact that Meanae only appeared in 1 card ties into her 'left out' lore. Nah... I was just too lazy to make more cards.)

atk 4000                                                      

def 4800                                                                                 

You can reveal 9 stealth cards with different names from your hand, field, or graveyard to stealth summon this card from your hand (You do not show this card to your opponent). This card cannot be stealth summoned, except by its own effect. If your opponent activates a card effect, while you control this card, reveal this card, negate that activation, and destroy that card. While you control this revealed monster, face down cards you control cannot be destroyed by card effects. If this card is in the graveyard because it was sent there from the field, you can reveal this card to special summon it from the graveyard. When this card is revealed by its own effect, draw 1 card, then, stealth summon 1 Skull Raider card from your deck.

I tried to overcompensate as much as possible without breaking the cards entirely.

Tell me your thoughts on the mechanic in general or the cards in particular. Also, try out this mechanic in cards you make.

Archived