Updating rules for Animation & Graphic Novels

I do understand the reasoning behind this but im still unhappy with no exception being made towards mentioning where to find obscure/old material that isnt under the belt of any big name company. As a person whos dabbled in obscure anime for many years its not as simple as going over to an illegal site and searching up the particular show/movie. One case that I knew of is Tamala 2010 when I first discovered the film it took me a year worth of google searches to find a way to watch it and even then it was a download that was low resolution, blurry quality, and had no subtitles so I had to watch it with a notepad document containing the subtitles open next to it. Only just about 2 or 3 years ago did it ever get up on illegal streaming and even then to my knowledge it only is one site that has it up. Tamala 2010 had its official release in 2002, which means it took at least 13 years for an illegal streaming site to get a hold of it.

With certain things making a vague statement on "hey its up somewhere illegally" is an unhelpful thing that can make people have to search for hours on end to find an anime, film, or show. There should be an exception for mentioning, not linking, where to find certain things that are improbable to find through legal measures.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do understand the reasoning behind this but im still unhappy with no exception being made towards mentioning where to find obscure/old material that isnt under the belt of any big name company. As a person whos dabbled in obscure anime for many years its not as simple as going over to an illegal site and searching up the particular show/movie. One case that I knew of is Tamala 2010 when I first discovered the film it took me a year worth of google searches to find a way to watch it and even then it was a download that was low resolution, blurry quality, and had no subtitles so I had to watch it with a notepad document containing the subtitles open next to it. Only just about 2 or 3 years ago did it ever get up on illegal streaming and even then to my knowledge it only is one site that has it up. Tamala 2010 had its official release in 2002, which means it took at least 13 years for an illegal streaming site to get a hold of it.

With certain things making a vague statement on "hey its up somewhere illegally" is an unhelpful thing that can make people have to search for hours on end to find an anime, film, or show. There should be an exception for mentioning, not linking, where to find certain things that are improbable to find through legal measures.

The issue is directing them to an illegal site generates traffic for it and they can use it to watch other things. I get wanting to allow REALLY old and obscure things to have an exception, but I feel like that is likely to be messy and I also believe is ultimately a super niche thing.

Also, while it isn't going to hold for everything, a lot has changed with time and you'd be surprise at how much is readably available now vs. a few years ago on the various legal platforms.

That's the thing, I don't name the sources as I know that's bad, but I also feel me saying that I went elsewhere (whilst not naming sources) is equally as bad as it'd flag up concerns if you know what I mean.

This is a "spirit of the law" type of thing. While I wouldn't warn someone for saying something like that, I would prefer you not do it.

The issue is directing them to an illegal site generates traffic for it and they can use it to watch other things. I get wanting to allow REALLY old and obscure things to have an exception, but I feel like that is likely to be messy and I also believe is ultimately a super niche thing.

Also, while it isn't going to hold for everything, a lot has changed with time and you'd be surprise at how much is readably available now vs. a few years ago on the various legal platforms.

I do know how much has changed in a short amount of years but it still is possible to come across things that arent as easily available, many legal platforms can only have limited licensing for media and try to pander more towards what is mainstream and newer, especially in terms of anime. Fair enough on it being a niche thing so I do understand why its not that big of an issue as unfair as it might be if its not worth bending for then theres nothing that really can be done about it.

I am a bit more worried about how Music will be if Rule 5 is enforced more strictly across the whole forum, but id rather make a different thread addressing that since this is meant to be geared towards Animation/Comics.

As I said in my first post in this thread "I will refrain from doing that in future", I said that as I respect the law.

I know. I was trying to get at the root of the point. Likely would have been better the respond to J-Max in that case.

I am a bit more worried about how Music will be if Rule 5 is enforced more strictly across the whole forum, but id rather make a different thread addressing that since this is meant to be geared towards Animation/Comics.

I can envision ways this could affect Music, but unless the type of discussions there are different from what I imagine, it shouldn't be large. A lot of music is available legally for listening on youtube.

Apologies if this sounds dismissive, but the scenario you're describing sounds like it would be rare, so I think adding exceptions to a rule to account for that would be easy to abuse, as then people would want ways "around" the rule, and what would qualify as a possible exception, which goes against the entire point of establishing such a rule.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived