Trap Pendulum

TheTrueSaiyan

There are lots of ways Konami could have expanded on Pendulums as a mechanic such as Lop-sided scales and have ways to "set" a pendulum monster (as in face down) like a Trap card

This could get around Anti-Spell Fragrance which would be interesting

Of course, there is no official ruling for "Trap Pendulums" so I'll just list first how I feel they should work (feel free to criticize this as well)

1. Must first be set and cannot be activated the turn they are set (like regular Trap cards)
  2. Must be placed in a Pendulum Zone
  3. Have Spell Speed 2 activation and effects (like regular Trap cards)
  4. Counted as regular Trap cards, not continuous Trap cards, and cards in the pendulum zone when Face-up
  5. Don't immediately go to the GY after activation (unless destroyed, etc.) but stay a scale

MZWACVe.png

[spoiler=Card]Versatile Swordsman
Level 4 - Scale 8
Warrior/Pendulum/Effect
Pendulum Effect: You can target 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls; that face-up monster your opponent controls has its effects negated until the end of this turn. You can only use this effect of "Versatile Swordsman" one per turn.
Monster Effect: If this card is destroyed: You can set this card your Pendulum Zone Face-down.

ATK 1200 / DEF 1200

What do you think of this mechanic? Could make for some nice bluffing if a deck based on it becomes relevant

should probably be in experimental

The main problem I have with Trap Pendulums is the fact that you can't set normal Pendulums in the Pendulum Scale. It's not a major thing, but anything set is then immediately known as a Trap Pendulum, and it loses a bit of its utility. Another reason for this is now you have to have a major distinction between Trap Pend effects and normal Pend effects, as the former almost always benefit/affect you, considering the only utility to a Trap Pendulum would be its Trap Pend effect, what would make them any more playable than other Trap Cards? And in non-Trap Card decks, why not run these Pendulum Scales instead of ordinary Trap Cards?

Also, I first got the impression that these acted as Continuous Trap cards, but the card's effect has no HOPT or even OPT. So, you intend for them to be Normal/Continuous Traps, where they have an effect on activation, but then sort of sit there? This goes against what I was saying earlier, rendering my points kind of moot, but...it just seems awkward.

Would this affect Pendulum Summoning in any way? SS2 Pendulum Summoning?

The main problem I have with Trap Pendulums is the fact that you can't set normal Pendulums in the Pendulum Scale. It's not a major thing, but anything set is then immediately known as a Trap Pendulum, and it loses a bit of its utility. Another reason for this is now you have to have a major distinction between Trap Pend effects and normal Pend effects, as the former almost always benefit/affect you, considering the only utility to a Trap Pendulum would be its Trap Pend effect, what would make them any more playable than other Trap Cards? And in non-Trap Card decks, why not run these Pendulum Scales instead of ordinary Trap Cards?

It could work the same a setting a regular trap in the pendulum zones so you don't have to declare it's a trap pendulum. Unless you were referring to the fact that when your opponent sets a card in the far-right/far-left and then deduce it can be a trap pendulum, no way around that I guess.

I guess the benefit would be that they leave you with a scale to work with after you used its effect. I guess we already have plenty of good generic trap cards like Lost Wind that they wouldn't see play in non-trap decks. Although pendulum monsters rarely see play in non-pendulum decks (Archfiend Eccentrick is a great standalone card but doesn't see play in non-pendulum deck)

Also, I first got the impression that these acted as Continuous Trap cards, but the card's effect has no HOPT or even OPT. So, you intend for them to be Normal/Continuous Traps, where they have an effect on activation, but then sort of sit there? This goes against what I was saying earlier, rendering my points kind of moot, but...it just seems awkward.

Would this affect Pendulum Summoning in any way? SS2 Pendulum Summoning?

I rephrased that to make it clearer, meant to be a OPT inspired by Breakthrough Skill.  They can either have effects on activating or some other timings. 

I'm really mixed on SS2 Pendulum summoning, although I would love to entertain the possibilities:

P1: In response to your activation of Brilliant Fusion, I Pendulum Summon Amorphage Goliath

P2: FML

P1: In response to summon of Heavymetalfoes Electrumite I Pendulum Summon Clear Wing Fast Dragon and activate it to negate Electrumite

P2: Where did that come from?

P1: I know it's your end phase, and you just set 5, some which are probably a Solemn or two. I Pendulum my entire hand, next turn

P2: damn

This could be what makes them viable and you have to wait a turn to activate them but that could be what balances them. I'll say yes until someone explains to me how it's broken.

It could work the same a setting a regular trap in the pendulum zones so you don't have to declare it's a trap pendulum. Unless you were referring to the fact that when your opponent sets a card in the far-right/far-left and then deduce it can be a trap pendulum, no way around that I guess.

I guess the benefit would be that they leave you with a scale to work with after you used its effect. I guess we already have plenty of good generic trap cards like Lost Wind that they wouldn't see play in non-trap decks. Although pendulum monsters rarely see play in non-pendulum decks (Archfiend Eccentrick is a great standalone card but doesn't see play in non-pendulum deck)

Excuse me. I forgot MR4 was a thing, and was still thinking in terms of actual Pendulum Zones. Now that's an actual pretty cool mechanic, if we're dealing in terms of going along with MR4 and making columns useful again.

As long as we don't make any Magician Pendulum Traps we're good, I think. let's just making them all Zefra please I haven't forgotten you

Excuse me. I forgot MR4 was a thing, and was still thinking in terms of actual Pendulum Zones. Now that's an actual pretty cool mechanic, if we're dealing in terms of going along with MR4 and making columns useful again.

As long as we don't make any Magician Pendulum Traps we're good, I think. let's just making them all Zefra please I haven't forgotten you

Unfortunately, the Zefra Lore is very complete, I can't really think of any way to expand it, Sophia and Tierra are dead so it's not possible for Sophia to bless another monster with the power of the Zefra to create a new one. Sure we can expand on some of the battle scenes but you can't make a monster out of them....

Not sure if Sombre is still around, he had the power of creation from Sophia along with a few others, but even then I don't think one should be able to create a Zefra just because they have the power of the creation. Then there is the reason to create a new Zefra since Tierra is dead.

Although, I guess with the exception of Zefraath most if not all the Zefras are alive and kicking so if they had a continuation where they traveled to another world to help those who live there, like the Draco lore, then they can recruit some more members along the way that are part of the group just not blessed by Sophia. Or they can reach higher levels/new forms and get an updated card to reflect that, but they need an adversary for that which doesn't exist in the current lore at the moment.

Unfortunately, the Zefra Lore is very complete, I can't really think of any way to expand it, Sophia and Tierra are dead so it's not possible for Sophia to bless another monster with the power of the Zefra to create a new one. Sure we can expand on some of the battle scenes but you can't make a monster out of them....

Not sure if Sombre is still around, he had the power of creation from Sophia along with a few others, but even then I don't think one should be able to create a Zefra just because they have the power of the creation. Then there is the reason to create a new Zefra since Tierra is dead.

Although, I guess with the exception of Zefraath most if not all the Zefras are alive and kicking so if they had a continuation where they traveled to another world to help those who live there, like the Draco lore, then they can recruit some more members along the way that are part of the group just not blessed by Sophia. Or they can reach higher levels/new forms and get an updated card to reflect that, but they need an adversary for that which doesn't exist in the current lore at the moment.

That's slightly wrong. Sophia didn't create the zefra. Sophia was dead. She wasn't reincarnated in the third war, and that's relatively obvious if you think that necroz of sophia is a thing. Since the necroz literally made their clothing from the corpses of those who fell in the previous wars, and since necroz of sophia is earlier in the timeline from zefra, sophia must have been dead during the third war. According to the master guide, it's naturia's sacred tree. You know, the thing that the qlis come from.

Here's the link: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Guide_5_card_storylines#The_Chosen_of_the_Planet

Ptolomaeus(Fusion of sombre and constellar diamond) should still be alive, as he's the one who released the 11th zefra right before the final battle, and he didn't actually take part in it.

Somre's female, by the way. Stop referring to her as 'he'.

The other zefra are dead. The 10 zefra cores fused with zefracore (11th zefra became zefracore) to form zefraath. The ones who were the 10 zefra might still be alive, in their pre-zefra forms (Probably not though) but all the zefra are dead.

That's slightly wrong. Sophia didn't create the zefra. Sophia was dead. She wasn't reincarnated in the third war, and that's relatively obvious if you think that necroz of sophia is a thing. Since the necroz literally made their clothing from the corpses of those who fell in the previous wars, and since necroz of sophia is earlier in the timeline from zefra, sophia must have been dead during the third war. According to the master guide, it's naturia's sacred tree. You know, the thing that the qlis come from.

Here's the link: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Guide_5_card_storylines#The_Chosen_of_the_Planet

Ptolomaeus(Fusion of sombre and constellar diamond) should still be alive, as he's the one who released the 11th zefra right before the final battle, and he didn't actually take part in it.

Somre's female, by the way. Stop referring to her as 'he'.

The other zefra are dead. The 10 zefra cores fused with zefracore (11th zefra became zefracore) to form zefraath. The ones who were the 10 zefra might still be alive, in their pre-zefra forms (Probably not though) but all the zefra are dead.

Oops, I interpreted as Sophia creating the Zefra through the tree and loaning her powers to Dance Princess. Didn't actually realize she was dead. 

Also make a mistaking that Zefra Providence showed the Zefra, not everyone else. So I thought they we still alive since that card takes place after the final battle but forgot they fused to form Zefracore, been a while since I read the lore.

So, any idea how to make a new Zefra monster fit into the lore?

Oops, I interpreted as Sophia creating the Zefra through the tree and loaning her powers to Dance Princess. Didn't actually realize she was dead. 

Also make a mistaking that Zefra Providence showed the Zefra, not everyone else. So I thought they we still alive since that card takes place after the final battle but forgot they fused to form Zefracore, been a while since I read the lore.

How about approaching Zefrathuban? Pretty sure it remains as the most unknown of the Zefras, while the origin of the rest have been either explained, or are self-explanatory. For starters, it has a Chiwen-themed armor, and I have always thought that it's Altair, but it's still unconfirmed and for all we know it could be a human form of Chiwen.

Then, add to this that "Metaphys Executor" has symbols of both Tellarknights and Yang Zings, and you can see there is a part of the DT story that has yet to be told.

Or, IMO you can always go for spin-offs or DT alternate storylines where events unfolded in a different way.

As for this card, dunno if you noticed but it looks a mash of different Six Samurais xD You could make it an actual Six Samurai for extra flavor and support.

For being a Trap Pendulum I would move to Experimental, but it should still be realistic enough. Card text can override rules, after all.

I'm unsure about the Monster Effect because even if it's in a Spell/Trap Zone, it will still trigger and Set itself again, making it difficult to get rid of unless the opponent spends non-destructive removal on it.

I wouldn't meddle with "SS2 Pendulum Summons", though.

Sophia was basically the final boss of the second war, she was killed by kerkion and sombre after they stole her power of destruction and creation respectively.

As for a new zefra, how about making a naturia zefra that rose from the ashes of the sacred tree? That would be interesting because naturias are a kinda old archetype that would receive support, and while they have amazing bosses like exterio, I've seen exterio summoned more times in cyberdarks than in naturias. it'd tie in with zefra and naturia lore, because both have, during separate wars, guarded the sacred tree, and finally, because naturias are based on negation, the new zefra could have some nice disruption abilities, which would be nice from a gameplay standpoint.

Sophia was basically the final boss of the second war, she was killed by kerkion and sombre after they stole her power of destruction and creation respectively.

As for a new zefra, how about making a naturia zefra that rose from the ashes of the sacred tree? That would be interesting because naturias are a kinda old archetype that would receive support, and while they have amazing bosses like exterio, I've seen exterio summoned more times in cyberdarks than in naturias. it'd tie in with zefra and naturia lore, because both have, during separate wars, guarded the sacred tree, and finally, because naturias are based on negation, the new zefra could have some nice disruption abilities, which would be nice from a gameplay standpoint.

Lore is complicated.......

That would be an interesting way to make a new Zefra. Usually though, Zefra monster support Zefra decks more than their other archetype. I feel like the only one that sees play in their original deck is the Ritual Beast decks, and that's only because it's another name for them to use. Not sure how I feel designing it to work with the Naturia playstyle instead of the Zefra since creating a new Naturia is pretty easy, basically just name another plant, but Zefra have very little room for new monsters so I feel it should support Zefra instead.

Also, can you tell me where the new Link, "Zefra Metaltron", fits into the lore? It says that it's based off "Metaltron XII, the True Dracombatant" but that means both the True Draco Lore and Duel Terminal take place in the same universe, but Metaltron XII come in pretty late in the True Draco Lore so why is a Zefra?

Archived