torm's monthly ama thread

Tormented

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are you actually going to be active ever

where's smear?

The age of my activity has passed, there are things that may cause me to be active once again but many of them are likely never to happen due to the state of things. My drive for this place has been fleeting for a good while now, I've tried to put an effort in again to regain interest but never received any back from anyone so it ended up being a waste of time.

Smear/Codey is living his life, as per his resignation he became a manager at his chain of McDonalds which entails a lot more of his time, has his girlfriend (who he hasn't proposed to after being with her for 5+ years) and many IRL friends that take up his time, he is a happy person.

what brings you to stoop down to us mortals and grace us with you presence

Someone DMed me on discord asking me to participate in the overall voting of this popularity contest that is taking place, they also made me aware I had a vote in the staff election and therefore my disgust at the content of the vote. I am here, telling people things that would be a positive change and look forward to nothing being done because of it.

What did I do to earn such distrust qq

Please read my reply to the status I posted yesterday, I admitted that I was being overly antagonistic to put my point across, I can't determine whether or not you will succeed until I see the results, however, you have my hope.

Should YCM accept me as their Duck Overlord?

Well considering that there are no other ducks available, being the overlord of no other ducks is pretty much what your role is currently, no?

Someone DMed me on discord asking me to participate in the overall voting of this popularity contest that is taking place, they also made me aware I had a vote in the staff election and therefore my disgust at the content of the vote. I am here, telling people things that would be a positive change and look forward to nothing being done because of it.

maybe you just don't see the positive changes because you funk off every time you don't get promoted?

Also, god funking dammit winter.

Was it winter? It was totally him, right?

Yes, I can blame you, actually. Not for the issues with the forum, of course, because those are far more widespread (and being worked to be repaired from both sides moreso now than any time in the past year) but for your response to your own ill-informed perception of the forum as it is. Just brighten up, dude. Things are improving, whether you saw it immediately upon reappearing or not.

I was moreso asking in reference to the latter half of your strikethrough, not necessarily my ill-turned view on the current outlook of the place. As I said, I may be playing up my antagonistic nature to promote a certain type of response.

I can tell certain things have been improved, the election is a very good start and in a smaller close-knit community such as this, I think it should occur more often (when staff is required). If I may be so bold, between now and last month (since I had returned) what other positive changes have taken place? I think my biggest concern is people being afraid to actually attempt changes and experiment, worst case scenario changes get reverted/people get fired.

A notable change was in Zai's behavior. A bit after the year started, and yui got mad over something something Sakura dae I honestly don't remember the details it's been a long day for me...

Anyway, Zai publicly acknowledged his poor handling of various situations, and has acted far better than he had before. He has been nothing but helpful, as he was instrumental in the implementation of the recent mod election, and honestly is just a friendly guy on the forum, at least from my view.

Additionally, these tensions that came to a front in the last few weeks helped to resolve issues in the forum that are not directly related to the modship, but very much related the way conflicts play out on this site. Over the last month or so, Roxas has been infinitely more pleasant with multiple members he was previously hostile with, notably Black and myself. While Roxas is no longer a mod, Black is only just now on the team again, and me being an authority figure is a joke, this is showing of how the community has pulled itself together recently.

The mod election had a decent turnout, with many members voicing opinions and proper discussion happening, the new YMB is proving to be plenty of fun for almost everyone, and even within the first 24 hours of the new mods being appointed people on both the team and off of it are working to push through changes to improve the site on both a social and functional level. And the stuff going on publicly right now is only the top of the iceberg, as more is being discussed behind the scenes.

The quality curve for YCM right now is just about vertical.

So the notable changes are mostly people beginning to think rationally? It's definitely an improvement then.

Zai was always in a grey area and he is a fantastic dude so I'm glad he is finally improving in areas.

As I said, I'll admit to my antagonistic nature, I'm being very negative as a way of venting my frustrations on how things have occurred in the past, hopefully, the changes and removal of staff members that were stuck in their ways will allow the team to develop and improve.

Should I have made my year long hiatus permanent?

What a weird ass question, only you can make that decision, regardless it would've never been permanent, you're too addicted.

What are some changes you'd like to see? I'm curious and willing to listen, so lay it on me.

I think the site rules, in general, need to be loosened up a little bit, attempting to enforce high-quality discussion on every platform only leads to people not feeling like they are good enough to include themselves in a discussion. 

I think certain sections of the site are overly complicated, I don't understand the need for 3 entire subsections and the main forum for card design for example, again I'm going to put it down to attempting to gate content as a way of determining what is "high quality", the only thing I would keep separate is joke cards. So, in general, I think a simplified forum section re-structure would be quite refreshing.

This one is potentially a bit of a controversial suggestion, enable post count for misc BUT disallow spamming in a traditional sense, (one letter replies, etc) on reddit for example, Karma is Karma, it has the same value regardless where you post. Besides misc has more or less turned into general just a little more memey and casual, general is more for heavy news-related topics.

An anonymous complaint form, I think, would be an interesting addition. Just place a google form on a webpage, let people fill it out and then the staff team can review a complaint form and understand what has occurred and whether actions need to be taken, rather than a complaint being public and causing arguments over topics that don't end up going anywhere (staff should know better than to argue with the masses in public)

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/326059-ycm-staff-section-breakdown/ is the most convoluted thread I've ever read, just create a simple table with each staff member and create another column with which areas they work in, rather than having the forum titles listed with next to no meaning, at face value it makes it seem like you and CowCow have no use (which is not the case)

I could probably think of more, but gives you something to go on.

Archived