[Witten] Xyz generic Link

TheTrueSaiyan

We got Needlefiber which is basically the generic Synchro Link and Electrumite which is the generic Pendulum Link. Here's my idea of what a generic Xyz Link would look like:

It's a Zoodiac monster to tie into how both Cyrsrons and Metalfoes are both parts of the True Draco lore with the above links. Zoodiac is also part of that lore as the "Xyz archetype" so I felt it was only fitting. Not intended to help Zoodiac in particular but be generic like the others.

There are only 12 zodiac signs and Zoodiacs already have a monster for each, so I had to resort to using Ophiuchus which is sometimes used as a 13th sign if you're wondering where the name comes from.

Zoodiac Ophinchain

EARTH
Beast-Warrior / Link / Effect
DL, DR

2 monsters with the same level, except tokens

① If this card is Link Summoned: You can send 1 Monster from your Deck to your GY with the same level as a monster used as a material for this card summon.

② You can target 1 monster in your GY that was sent to the GY to activate an Xyz monster's effect or used as material to summon this card this turn; Special Summon 1 Xyz monster from your extra deck with a rank equal to the targeted monster's level using this card and the targeted monster as Xyz material. (This is treated as a Xyz Summon.)

③ An Xyz Monster that has this card as material gains this effect.

● Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Draw 1 card.

ATK 1600 / LINK-2

[spoiler=Notes]

Both Needlefiber and Electrumite have an effect when they are Linked summoned that gets them a monster related to their mechanic, Tuners for Needlefiber and Pendulum for Electrumite.

• Needlefiber Specials summons the tuner which makes sense for Synchros since Synchro decks tend to have a very spam Special Summon nature.
  • Electrumite going to the Extra deck makes sense since it's unique to pendulum monsters.
  • This card sends to the GY for 2 reasons: 1 - even pendulum monsters when detached go to the GY, and 2 - If a Fusion Link should ever come out it should add to hand as the only mechanic to be able to use materials in hand.

The second effect is to buff the Xyz mechanic like Needlefiber buff Synchros and Electrumite buffs Pendulums. Probably the best card to make would be something like "Bujintei Kagutsuchi" that is normally locked into an archetype.

A lot of decks recently have been getting monsters with levels all over the place (SPYRAL, Subterror, Altergeist, Mekk Knights, etc) so getting 2 monsters with the same level, let alone one where you want to send a monster to the GY and make an Xyz with that level, means that not many new decks will be able to take advantage of this card. Which I think helps balances this card.

How has no one looked at this yet? This card is great!

Just a reminder that the Advanced Clause does exist in this section, and you do need to write something more substantial than this (in terms of how it's designed and so forth). 

iU8EggM.png

Also a flavor nitpick, Zoodiacs are themed after the Asiatic zodiac with animals; not the Western constellation one that you named this one after. As an alternative to fit it into the flavor, you can either name this after the Jade Emperor or one of the animals that get substituted. Or you can not make it a Zoo, but retain the current naming.

====

The on-Summon Foolish (albeit with Level restrictions) is fine, since it does help with setup for the most part.

Second effect using this as an Xyz Material is kinda sketchy. Though it isn't breaking anything except using itself as a material when it doesn't have Level/Rank, it's more on you keeping track of what you used to summon this with or detached for an Xyz. I mean, it's technically fine, but...more on lines of remembering. Least it can make use of GY resources, so that much is helpful.

The detach thing isn't anything special, but it does what it needs to.

The on-Summon Foolish (albeit with Level restrictions) is fine, since it does help with setup for the most part.

Second effect using this as an Xyz Material is kinda sketchy. Though it isn't breaking anything except using itself as a material when it doesn't have Level/Rank, it's more on you keeping track of what you used to summon this with or detached for an Xyz. I mean, it's technically fine, but...more on lines of remembering. Least it can make use of GY resources, so that much is helpful.

The detach thing isn't anything special, but it does what it needs to.

I agree it can be a problem telling if a card in the GY was sent there by detaching or for summoning this card after 5 or 6 turns ago. I'll limit it to just the same turn

I agree with the pseudo Xyz-evolution effect being sketchy, because of all the options available. I would say Bujintei Kagutsuchi is a minor concern compared to other scary things out there xD

Perhaps limit your Xyz-evolution choices to not only the Level, also the Type of the target? That means, if you target a Level4 Warrior, you will be limited to only Rank4 Warrior Xyzs. And even then, I feel there will be ways for it to go wrong. At the very least it wouldn't be future-proof.

I agree with the pseudo Xyz-evolution effect being sketchy, because of all the options available. I would say Bujintei Kagutsuchi is a minor concern compared to other scary things out there xD

Perhaps limit your Xyz-evolution choices to not only the Level, also the Type of the target? That means, if you target a Level4 Warrior, you will be limited to only Rank4 Warrior Xyzs. And even then, I feel there will be ways for it to go wrong. At the very least it wouldn't be future-proof.

I can't find any Xyz monster that would absolutely break this card, can you tell me what Xyz monster you're worried about since I thought Kagutsuchi would be one of the worst offenders?

Most of the good Xyzs are generic so if you manage to summon this card you could have made them anyway. A lot of thChaosso Xyz only get effects when you have their previous forms as materials, and you're not going to get 2 Level 12s to summon something like "Super Quantal Mech King Great Magnus"

Why not? You can use Subterror Ultramafus.

IDK, it's more about futureproofing. There may be nothing game-breaking right now, but you never know when there will be, like an Xyz that normally would require 4+ materials. This card brings me flashbacks of Ptolemaeus, although the effect isn't a Quick Effect.

And I know Needlefiber pushes the boundaries by Summoning any Synchro Tuner, from Formula Synchron to Life Stream Dragon, but not because Konami does it it means such effects get a "green light, so to speak, or make them fair to make.

Why not? You can use Subterror Ultramafus.

IDK, it's more about futureproofing. There may be nothing game-breaking right now, but you never know when there will be, like an Xyz that normally would require 4+ materials. This card brings me flashbacks of Ptolemaeus, although the effect isn't a Quick Effect.

And I know Needlefiber pushes the boundaries by Summoning any Synchro Tuner, from Formula Synchron to Life Stream Dragon, but not because Konami does it it means such effects get a "green light, so to speak, or make them fair to make.

Sure you can summon Ultramafus, but can you get 2 of them out at the same time? At some point doing it the usual way would be easier.

We already have so many Xyz monster and we're past the Xyz era (and the pendulum era after that) so if something doesn't break it now I don't think any future card will. 

It's only going to get worse, people dropped Lightning because it required too many Extra Deck spaces when Links came out so having to run this card + a somewhat powerful Xyz isn't going to fare any better

Archived