Literary Survival Strategy Center

Tourmaline

gg_mawaru_penguindrum_-_03_6809f5f9-mkv_

I will only assume the opinions and availability of those who have posted, so please post here to let me know if you are interested. Depending on interest levels, I may start the readings this week or at the end of the week.

Outlined in my moderator election post was a plan to revitalize the aimless, neglected literature section. Every week, a short reading—the length of short story or chapter—will be assigned, first through my dictation and eventually in synergy with suggestions. Upon announcing the weekly reading, a discrete thread of the reading with the appropriate pdf (these will largely be public domain pieces) will be posted on the very or successive day. These threads will host discussions of the piece, where participants will discuss interpreted messages, philosophies, ideas, arguments, symbols and artistry, hopefully in synthesis to an understanding not only of the author but of literature, art and the world with universality. The threads will be numbered and dated for the posterity, participant convenience and continuity, letting actors and bystanders refer to previous arguments and ideas for future discussions to synthesize increasingly ultimate arguments. Previous threads will never be locked, enabling literary discussion the sacred self-sustaining ability of all successful sections, though posts must pertain to the thread's attributed reading. These discussions, the prelude to the successive activity, will inflame participant literary artistry not only in intellectual discourse but in writing, letting me introduce the rondo to this sonata....

Following several weeks of literary discussion, I will present literary writing prompts for the creative writing section. This will be where participants synthesize not only their philosophical and intellectual contributions in previous discussions, but what they've learned through reading/discussing to better channel and express their own ideas as short writing projects. Others will discuss these works in their appropriate creative writing threads, everyone building on each other ad infinitum in the artistic aspect of writing. As an experienced proofreader (both for nearly professional pieces and casual texts) on the verge of a linguistics degree with an affinity for philosophy and literature, I'll create a writing counterpart to this thread; I will use submitted works—perhaps tagged as literary—as paradigms of skilled and unskilled writing with corrections, justifications and inquiry available. This will encompass the technical aspect of writing.

Any member may participate at any time on any whim and participation in the readings does not presuppose participation in the writings. Present felicitously, do the readings and give a true effort at discussions and no other discriminating factors ought to be invoked.

To find the thread for a particular reading, refer to the following spoiler:

[spoiler=Weekly Threads]

1: Borges; The Library of Babel (31-1-2018)

The first readings we'll be covering will come, in successive order, from Borges' FiccionesThe Library of Babel; Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius; Funes, the Memorious; The Circular Ruins and Death and the Compass. There may be a sixth Borges short story following good reception. If this is the case, the particular short story will be decided later. I will post the appropriate pdfs when the appropriate thread comes.

Following Borges will be Dante's Divine Comedy, where threads and weekly readings will be divided in groups of four cantos. These, too, will have their pdfs posted when their time comes.

Meta questions, ideas, discussions, et cetera on the very project are to be posted here and only here or with me privately.

[spoiler=Example of thread continuity format]

Thread number: Author; Title (Date)

1: Borges; The Library of Babel (31-1-2018)

>The thread is posted with the appropriate pdf on the date given above and my own interpretation as a prompt for discussion. Interminable discussion begins immediately, so read and participate as you like with little pressure. A week after this discussion begins....

2: Borges; Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius (7-2-2018)

>The pdf is posted in the new thread, discussion of The Library of Babel continues as long as people participate in it and I begin a discussion for this story. A week after this thread is submitted....

3: Borges; Funes, the Memorious (14-2-2018)

>The pdf and my view on the piece are posted. The previous two threads continue like normal, but this is where discussion will actively be prompted. Continue infinitely.

Thank you for your time and don't hesitate to participate or post here.

I will only assume the opinions and availability of those who have posted, so please post here to let me know if you are interested. Depending on interest levels, I may start the readings this week or at the end of the week.

I will express interest but I won't be available until ~May when the semester is over.  Right now, I barely have time to read YCM itself.  But I will certainly be prepared to participate in the future.  I'd like to use this post to publicly express my support, not that you weren't already aware.

Expressing my delayed interest. Which is to say, I am interested, however in my current semester I will be reading three different books and writing the first draft of my novel, among the excerpts of the two other students in the ENG-490 course I'm in for critiquing. So, for this semester, I don't think I should be committing the extra time to additional writing and reading exercises. However, if this is still going on in the future, I'll probably be hopping right in.

Voicing my interest. Curious, do you have any reasoning for this order of reading for Borges' stories, or for this selection of stories in general?

Yes. The first three (Babel to Funes) are some of his most legendary pieces, and The Library of Babel is one of the most eminent even among those, introducing philosophical themes and discussions on the very nature of writing and controversy that pervade the rest of his writings. It's thus a strong introduction not only to his themes, but to his writing style, and I personally find it among his most compelling pieces.

Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius introduces not only his fascination with Berkeleyan philosophy, but expands on Borges' investigation of writing itself. It's almost as mystifying as The Library of Babel and is an apt successor for those whom its predecessor grasps.

Funes, the Memorious introduces more directly his South American influence, which is at the vanguard of some of his pieces and provides accompaniment to the majority of his other ones (including those above). Its themes are detached from the previous two and, because of that, should this project succeed, Funes' will be a recent piece when the writing aspect is put into motion, its extraneity the impetus for totally new writing prompts.

The Circular Ruins presents a return to form, thematically speaking, but also converges the themes of all its predecessors. Particularly thematically symphonious to Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius, it discusses the nature of writing in time—the obverse of The Library of Babel's infinite, spacial discourse on writing. Its psychological discussions are now reminiscent of Funes, which brings it all together.

Finally, Death and the Compass was chosen because it's my favorite of Borges' stories and, should the reader find himself intrigued by Borges, it provides that legendary labyrinthine imagery and ideation Borges is famous for. Written like the murder mystery classics, it should as well bestow the reader a well-earned repose from the concatenated themes in the other stories. Death and the Compass, with an amazing verisimilitude amidst befuddling yet tantalizing imagery, should end the journey through his works perfectly, like the accentual red pillows in an otherwise achromatic living room.

i'll play the part of the delinquent member who grows ever more attracted to the charms of literature, culminating in a reading battle between myself and the final boss, as Scarborough fair is played softly in the background, to the sound of pages turning...

in other words, i'm in.

Considering the delayed availability of most of those who are interested, the start date will be resolved when our diurnal counterparts opine: the night of the 30th.

My thanks to all who, as well, have thus far posted; your cooperation will resuscitate a forlorn dynamic in YCM discourse and provide truly substantial benefits not only as community members but as voyagers of life itself.

I appreciate the malleable pace of this project and have a lot to gain from developing my expository writing. I also suppose I would appreciate the notoriety obtainable from differentiating my writing style from others’.

Mostly, this revitalization could improve my IB paper 1s and paper 2s. To earn an even higher A would let colleges understand my devotion to the humanities.

During this honeymoon phase, I will reserve my participation. I cannot guarantee my activity as time wears on, but I plan on completing some analyses at my own pace.

(Also I’d love to revisit The Aeneid in English and Dorian Gray at some point)

I'll get around to reading the OP in detail later on in the day, but you already filled me in about the concept previously, so I'm reporting myself.

IDK if it's the YCM updates but one of your spoilers doesn't have stuff inside. Just wanted to mention that as well (it's happened to me before due to some typo in the tags).

I'll get around to reading the OP in detail later on in the day, but you already filled me in about the concept previously, so I'm reporting myself.

IDK if it's the YCM updates but one of your spoilers doesn't have stuff inside. Just wanted to mention that as well (it's happened to me before due to some typo in the tags).

Thank you for your consideration.

That spoiler will list reading threads in chronological orderーit ought to be empty.

Will the readings just be selected passages for discussion purposes, or are you going to be posting full versions of the given piece of literature?

The readings are Borges' short stories, which range from eight to twenty pages. Because they are all within the public domain, the pdfs will include the entire story. Discussions will assume the entire story has been read.

Archived