Polls Rules Discussion

Blake

Now, as exciting as the changes going on around us may be, the staff is still looking into working on new rules and cleanup, similar to those for the status bar. At present, we are looking at Polls.

The section has had debates in the past over post count being on or off, what counts as spam, how serious should the section be, and so forth... But, in light of all that's happened in the time between the last major discussion and how it currently runs, the team has come to an idea that we feel comfortable discussing with the members.

Please keep in mind that this is not final. This is a discussion topic.

The first thing to bring up is an old idea; Renaming the section to Tournaments. While I don't believe this is something that we've decided on one way or the other, it merits discussion. For the most part, the section is only used for these tournaments, with the occasional poll that could easily fit into Misc, VG, General, etc. Do you guys think we should rename it, just to be a bit more clear? Is it fine as-is?

The next is rules... Well, let me just lay them out. Credit to CowCow for the writing these or the base for them.

1. All threads must either be a poll or, as stated below, be for organization/nominations of a Poll tournament.
  2. Tournament threads may have a single thread for organizing/taking nominations and these may be Pinned upon request.
  3. Tournaments Polls must be tagged for what tournament they are a part of. YCM Member Brawl would be YMB, Grand Pokemon Tournament would be GPT, etc. This may be more convenient after Tormented's continued efforts, which time will tell.
  4. No inappropriate material. This means no overly sexual content, no gore, basically the same as the rest of the site. Use your head.
  5. No flaming.
  6. No more than 3 “tournaments” at a time. And no more than 10 threads of a single tournament at any time. This includes any sort of poll that has multiple rounds to it.
  7. Shortposts and shitposts are allowed in polls in moderation, so long as the section stays clear of spam and flooding. Post count may be revoked if this is abused.

Well? What do you guys think? Anything you think to add to polls? Any ideas? Concerns? Let us know!

BieHhVo.gif

Not sure how I feel about renaming a section when the site's already got so much change going on lately, but those rules look really nice. Hopefully people don't abuse the shortpost/shitpost priviliges in the section if these all go through.

Two, personally I think Tournaments might get confusing (as in, being a place for YGO tournaments and such) but if it's the preference then sure.

I think that common sense would dictate fot people that if it were for YGO Tournaments then it wouldnt be in General.

@@J-Max

I understand the idea of seperating into subsections, and I don't disagree with it... But we'd need more single poll activity for that to be a thing. As-is, single polls don't exist all that often, because they fit better elsewhere.

I figured this would be the case. I would support a Tournament sub-section in Polls, but then what would be left of the primary Polls section would not have enough activity to justify its own existence, so renaming Polls to Tournaments would be the best option, and I think Miscellaneous would be better for the singular polls. Maybe General, since Polls is a sub-section of that.

Overall, I am on board with the proposed changes to Polls. No real complaints here. But I should probably get back to YGT2 now…

So there seems to be no objections to the rules, I think these should be set up soon then unless something comes up.

As to the renaming, either it will stay like this or Polls will be renamed Poll Tournaments and there will be an added rule that singular polls should be in whatever section fits best. (Poll about books goes in Lit for example)

Honest question, why did you guys never have an open discussion like this (and like what Broke did with TCG) on the status rules change

Not that I disagree with the final product, just seems like a lapse

Personally I thought the status one was fine because a lot of it was stuff people had been kinda asking for already/discussed before, and because I (and it was mostly my fault on this part) thought that if we left it at "PM any issues" then people could voice concerns that way.

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/370342-ymbdx-matches-2-15-and-2-16/

See this topic?

This thread is at 41 votes. It was at 42 until I pointed out that there was something fishy going on in a YMB Poll. Every other topic at the time I noticed this was in the range of 30~ votes, yet this one sat at 42.

This is quite clearly suspect. As I said, the YMB votes will be public after this round, to prevent this occuring again.

I didn't think we needed to say "yo calling in voters is kinda sketchy", but I guess we have to, because someone in that topic appears to have done just that.

Anyone caught doing this will be punished. Whether that be warning points, a section ban, or whatever, it is absolutely a punishable offense. Knock it off.

*claps hands together*

Okay folks this has lasted a while and I think it's time to wrap it up.

These rule changes and Polls being renamed to Poll Tournaments (With other polls going into whatever section is appropriate) will be put into effect in about 24 hours, unless any major objections are given.

It may seem short but as there has been so few comments and there's currently multiple Poll tournaments happening it's probably best to work a bit faster.

Archived