Flash Flyer - Sakura

zgoFjjM.jpg

[spoiler=Written details]

Lycanroc the Dusk Wolf

Link 3 | EARTH | Rock | Link | Effect

ATK 2500

E / SW / S

2+ monsters

① If this card or a monster this card points to attacks or is targeted for an attack, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. ② Once while face-up on the field (Quick Effect): You can destroy all face-up Spells or Traps on the field (your choice), and if you do, cards of the selected type cannot be activated until your next End Phase, also, if this card battles this turn, it gains 1000 ATK until the end of the Damage Step. 

2+ monsters

① If this card or a monster this card points to attacks or is targeted for an attack, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. ② If this card inflicts battle damage: You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to half that battle damage. ③ You can Tribute 1 monster this card points to; this turn, it can attack directly, but any battle damage it inflicts is halved.

Both of these are different versions, based on suggestions.

[spoiler=V1.0]

Lycanroc the Dusk Wolf

Link 3 | EARTH | Rock | Link | Effect

ATK 2500

E / SW / S

2+ monsters

① If this card or a monster this card points to attacks or is targeted for an attack, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. ② If this card deals battle damage: You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to half that battle damage.

(Because of the known image problems YCM has [and things pertaining to Wikia/Fandom hosting images here], any changes will be done with the written data. Use that for grading and CnC.)

CHANGE LOG

- Updated effect with two versions; one with an added 3rd effect (Accelerock) and other with replacing the added damage after battle with Z-Splintered Stormshards adaptation. Pick the one you like better.

- Slight nerfing of the first version's 3rd effect.

iU8EggM.png

Image is made by me, and can be found here on my Wikia.

Series 10 template is mine (and I'll be releasing it later on when I clean up some stuff.)

[spoiler=You know what this is by now]

Something about this being 37K post count, and my 9th year on YCM coming up in two days at the time of posting.

Anyway, I planned on doing something canine-related for a card since yeah, 2018 is Year of the Dog (and I am technically one by virtue of the Chinese zodiac, so...) Had another idea, but no good pics and I decided "meh, just do Dusk Lycanroc because that was on my list of stuff to make card of at some point". Kinda fits too, since it's Earth Dog year. 

[This is also why you see the kanji for "dog" in the upper-left, even though Lycanroc is technically a WOLF and not actual dog. Both are canines, so good enough.)

Those of you who were around at the start of last year might remember the Sun version as an R4 Xyz.

=====

Playability-wise, it's just another generic Link 3 that you can run with good staying power and can open your boards.

Right now, a lot of the LK-3 pool are either Arche/type locked, have low staying power and/or not worth the effort to begin with. 

For the most part, I technically borrowed from Dusk's movepool and stuff, including the Z-move. First effect is technically a more proactive version of the Z-move and supports your stuff; second effect is its ability. Yes. it is 50% instead of 30%, but by standard mechanics, Yugioh generally sticks with half. Also because of wording; ideally, it should just increase the damage by 50% during calculation, but I need to see how to do that. Doubling is no issue; but adding on half is something else.

One concern that I do have is probably on this being able to stack on added battle damage from direct hits if you can get it off. (I mean, I guess it helps I didn't add the direct attack effect from the Sun form, even though I would've liked to for giving this a niche over the existing LK-3 pool). To be honest, I originally had the "linked" thing inverted; this card gets the Armades effect alone, whereas the second effect would've been shared with itself and whatever it was pointing to. I changed it out of concern that you can use this to field a big ED monster or something, use this to clock something and then push for mass damage with the linked monster.

Hopefully the switching keeps this thing viable, but not leading to any busted OTK thing.

Those of you curious about why I chose the Link Markers as they are; it's derived from lucky directions (well, sans the SW arrow). Technically, it should've been NE, but I don't like to give the opponent a free linked zone while it's in the EMZ [also precedent stuff]. Would've given it a bit more utility while it's in Main Monster Zone, but yeah, you get a SW arrow instead. 

(Not SE because that one is unlucky)

Unlike the last couple of cards where I make big Synchros to correlate with my post count, this one is a bit more practical (and works for MR4). As much as I like the Synchro era, I have to do a few Links to figure out how to work with them.

=====

That being said, you know what to do.

Proper CnC gets repped.

Oh, right, I remember the Day form Lycanroc Rank4, to whom I suggested the "quick attack" effect. Likewise, since this can also learn Accelerock, a similar quick attack effect would be fitting IMO, without outclassing Day form since as a Link3 it has a different degree of accessibility.

Not to keen on the second effect, which I assume simulates Dusk form's Tough Claws. Adding extra damage is kind of subpar nowadays, especially if it relies on inflicting battle damage. I would instead boost this monster's ATK on some way, under a certain condition/trigger, etc., rather than just adding damage. Boosting the ATK of monsters linked to it would be sweet, too, but would deviate from its ability.

Adding flavor from its Z-Move, a nice effect would be an effect that destroys all Field Spells on the board, but can only be used once while it's face-up on the field. You can further spice it up by giving it a "Field Spells cannot be activated" lock like Closed Forest and lasts 1~2 turns. In fact, how about increasing this card's power during its next attack/battle after using this effect? It would reflect the extra power from the Z-Move.

Something like:

(Quick Effect): Destroy all Field Spells on the field, and if you do, Field Spells cannot be activated until the end of the X turn, also if this card battles this turn, it gains X ATK/its ATK is doubled/[insert ATK-boosting effect here]. This effect can only be used once while this card is face-up on the field.

I'm guessing the Midnight form will be a Synchro? It would have been more fitting to make Midnight form first, define its effect, and then give both that effect and Days' form quick attack to this one, along the aforementioned Z-Move effect.

Yeah, effect 2 is technically boosted Tough Claws, which doesn't particularly amount to much nowadays, unless you can blast the opponent's field open and direct attack. Doubling would be nice too, but still meh and breaking flavor from 30%.

I think most Decks still run a Field Spell nowadays, but I haven't seen too many being run recently (or the archetypes from VRAINS don't have good ones thereof that are worth mentioning). Or I can change it to blow up face-up S/T cards on the field (so it isn't dead if opponent isn't running a Field), and then apply your suggestions. If that happens, it will be a limited floodgate since then neither of you can trigger certain backrow (or the literal hand traps that are coming out), even if I lock it for a turn or something.

Could also add the Accelerock thing as a 3rd effect (can strike for half damage), but then it gets coupled with being immune to chaining during its attack, and then its existing burn effect goes into play. 

====

Would have to think over how to best approach it, but definitely make it so not totally reliant on battle to put itself to full use. Probably changing the Tough Claws-esque effect to more reflect its Z-move [which was supposed to reflect in its first one] might be better, though the expanded idea is there so it can respond to other stuff. 

Just occurred to me that with the suggested Z-Move effect, you can make the ATK bonus and the Field Spell removal independent, rather than the boosts depending from the Field removal as I first suggested. That's a simple timing and PSCT change, though.

IMO it would be too much to hit and lock all face-up Spell/Traps, since it already has 2 effects, and possibly 3 depending on which ones you decide to give and/or take.

The Armades effect would combo nicely with a quick attack effect, yes. I did notice that, but thought it would be a welcomed and acceptable boon. You may need to add a -1 cost to the quick attack, though, since doing so every turn may be too overpowering for the opponent as it's effectively a quick effect removal. Perhaps Tributing a monster Linked to it as cost?

Actually, I'm between "Tribute to quick attack" and "quick attack with half ATK". IMO a middle ground would be best: Tribute to quick attack, but with reduced ATK, about 1500~1700 so it runs over some stuff but not all Normal Summonable monsters.

So, I would go for something like:

During your opponent's Main Phase or Battle Phase (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 monster linked to this card; immediately after this effect resolves, declare an attack with this monster, but its ATK becomes 1500~1700 during that battle. (The battle is conducted normally) (Quick Effect): If this card battles this turn, its ATK is doubled. Also, destroy all Field Spells on the field, and if you do, Field Spells cannot be activated until the end of the next turn. This effect can only be used once while this card is face-up on the field.

After that, you can choose between keeping the Armades effect, which at this point it out of flavor, or add a minor ATK boost that reflects Tough Claws, like "If this card attacks/battles, it gains 750 ATK during damage calculation only". (750 is 1/3 of 2500).

(I'd rather avoid having effects that increase with a number non-divisible by 100; mostly out of precedent for now.)

For the most part, I basically replaced it with the first one (just modify the increased battle damage to more/less reflect its Tough Claws ability). Though, like I noted before, I left two versions so you can pick which one works.

Unlike with other games that have different effects for same card name, Yugioh isn't like that (otherwise I could just make a separate version of this card with the original effect).

====

To understand the coloring thing:

• Blue one is what I currently have as the printed effect on updated version of card (it's not shown here because not linked to Wikia). It is basically replacing the half-burn damage with blasting backrow and a power bonus until the end of the Damage Step.
    • Should probably lower it to 800 though, since it's much closer to 30% than the current 1000, and still enough to help run over stuff.
  • Red one is basically adding the direct attack effect onto the original version; would be worth letting it strike for reduced power (but not completely halved) as opposed to the set halved ATK (which would take any stat boosts into consideration).

In that case, IMO the blue is the best pick. Tributing to attack directly with reduced ATK isn't an appealing deal for me. On the other hand, the Spell or Trap nuke + stun plus burst damage is desirable to me, even if it can only use it once. That single use has the potential of making a major difference, especially if you lock out the opponent from playing Spells, reducing his/her comeback chances.

By the way, "deal" isn't a term in YGO. You should use "inflict" instead.

Not sure where I got that "deal" term from, probably either reading the dex entries too much or IDK. But I can just fix that (the image is technically old though, so...)

I considered keeping the stat boost permanent, but then you'd have a 3500 ATK beater that can't be chained to while battling. It is still vulnerable to other removal outside the BP (*cough Kaijus*), but what else is new.

Archived