Q & A with the Draconus #6!

Draconus297

FAQ:

Q: Why not AMA?

A: It sounds stupid. Plus, while I don't think it likely, there is a possibility that someone might ask a question I find myself unwilling to answer. Thus, the "anything" in "ask me anything" would be a lie.

Q: Questions regarding the username?

A: Literal translation of "Dragon Lord", then my favorite number (3) to the exponential power of itself, multiplied by the favorite number of a friend of mine (11).

Go on. Ask the questions.

What Music do u like?

Your favorite Konami archetype?

Do u like to role play?

In what part of the world do u live?

Your favorite of my archetypes?

Your favorite archetype u have seen anyone make?

Your favorite of your Archetypes?

A:

In order of asking--

A lot of stuff, really. Multiple genres, multiple languages, as long as I like the sound it's fair game. Mostly, though, it boils down to variations on rock (metal and alt being favorites of mine), orchestral pieces, and hype generation. I'm not much for dance/club music, though- take your dubstep out of here.

That's a difficult one. I don't have a defined favorite archetype- I've been playing the game since its inception (like, I still have cards I pulled from LoB packs), and I've had a lot of beloved archetypes, and changed up my favorite Deck a lot. Like, I still have legacy Decks built on Red-Eyes, Blue-Eyes, and the Dark Magician . . . but, by the same token, I like Aromas, F.A., and Raidraptors.

Yes. I don't do it much anymore, but I do enjoy RPing.

I'm from California, ese.

To be perfectly honest, it's difficult to choose one, because they all have a very similar design philosophy. They aren't differentiated by much.

Honestly, I really really like Nyx's "Cerebrite" archetype. It's a unique gimmick, and her did it pretty well. Beyond that . . . Zords were pulled off well.

Hm. Vigilizards, Logicangels, and Spellbound/Mellaxis all came out really well in my honest opinion, although I must give Tareya and Wysthae their due for being pretty much fully formed once their respective ideas came up.

Bump with an addendum to the last question I got asked:

I enjoy Dragonna-bugeisha a lot more than I realized, especially now that I realized how good- and interesting- It could be with a few generic techs. If AGM cards got printed in real life, that Deck would actually be completely Link-ready, and in fact would be relatively suited to making the ridiculous-as-hell combo of Disasterman (can OPT Solemn-punch things, and gets a few unique effects depending on what you use to make him) and Saryuja, assuming you teched in a relatively accessible Fusion card.

[spoiler= Why that Deck, Saryuja, and Disasterman are so good in combination]

Due to her Summoning condition, Dragonna-bugeisha has a lot of support monsters that can all hit the field repeatedly with relative ease, a noteworthy example being Master of the Dragon Banner, who carries both a CyDra clause and can revive himself if your opponent has no Set backrow, on top of his built in dual typing making him Cards of Consonance fodder that can be RotA'd. Naturally, this puts a lot of different names on board in a turn by turn basis for Link Material, and given the way they function they turn D-B herself into an absurdly versatile boss that, while lacking protection, makes up for it with just coming back over and over again and infuiating your opponent with her immortality. In addition, both she and most of her support is either WIND or EARTH, and there are a lot of Warriors in there.

Disasterman is a Level 9 2200 ATK Warrior-Type Fusion that can't be killed in battle, and that can OPT immediately attack any monster that activates its effect or that would be Summoned (things that aren't on the field don't have access to their effects, so things like Zushin's boost are eliminated, they're treated as being in Attack Position so you do inflict damage this way, and if he does get the kill the effect is immediately negated). Because this is an effect that immediately declares an attack, you can only use battle Traps to stop it- Solemns and other non-Continuous effect negation won't do anything. Its mats are 1 each of an EARTH, FIRE, and WIND monster, and if you can use the right Types it gets certain bonus effects- If you give it a Warrior, it gains a Flame Wingman effect; If you spare a Rock, it gets a Goyo Guardian effect; and if you can feed it a Fiend, it gets a 300 boost for every card on board. Due to the way its Solemn-punch effect works, it can even attempt to attack a Kaiju attempting to Tribute over it, so if its ATK is high enough and it has the Rock effect, you can immediately steal the Kaiju without losing Disasterman, and prevent your opponent from being able to try again- at least until they remove the stolen Kaiju.

Basically, what the combo entails is Summoning Disasterman with the Rock effect under Saryuja, so that you keep negating your opponent's Summons/handtraps/ monster effects, and if you have room with its Link Markers you have the additional advantage of boosting Disasterman's ATK higher to stop more different things. Dragonna-bugeisha herself can then be used to clear out anything you don't want clogging up space under Saryuja ( in case you can't use the things you've stolen as Link fodder), and revive herself in the process to make plays with/finish your opponent off.

To be perfectly honest, I've forgotten how I did it in the first place.

You've mellowed out a lot since you've returned, and I intend to once I've gotten past this flu and its effects on my mind. It's made me tired, forgetful, and almost completely killed my ability to maintain a thought process, which is not a good state to be in for designing and grading cards.

A lot of them, really. As a dude who makes support for Konami archetypes all the time, you can really just check my Legacy Support thread to see some of the archetypes that I think Konami didn't give the respect they deserved.

Aromas, Venom, Malefics, Predaplants, Aliens . . . there's a lot of archetypes and concepts that Konami could and should have treated a lot better than they did.

I'd say that you're pretty good at making combo extenders, but you aren't good at making ways to start said combos. It's like it's 5Ds all over again with you- slow start, but once you've gotten going/set up properly, everything works for things like Quasar plays. Also, you tend to make like one busted card per set, but it's typically behind some kind of ridiculous wall to access it.

Serpent Night Dragon.

AGM or IRL?

Second verse, same as the first.

IRL, my favorite series has to be the Spell Counter Magicians. From support for classic monsters to a surprisingly fun Synchro engine, they just work a lot better than I think anyone intended.

In terms of the AGM, my favorite series has to be Dragonna-bugeisha and friends (technically not an archetype, I realized), but honorable mentions go to the Wiretugs (which are basically begging to get imported to the real game to make all the Link and Rank 2 Xyz monsters ever, because they can't do much of anything here besides troll and make underwhelming Xyz- a lot of the better IRL R2 are Numbers) and the new Mindsealers. Also, I'm surprised that a furry like yourself isn't all over Morphbrothers and Morphsisters, a little 4-monster series I made a while back that focuses on OTKs and, barring that, lots of Rank 4s.

While there are a lot of contenders for my favorite single IRL card, I think it might be a toss-up between Chaos Emperor Dragon (pre-errata), Cracking Dragon (aka one of the very few VRAINS cards I actually like), and Sophia (because it's just so batshit insane). There are a lot of others, but those three are pretty noteworthy.

Single AGM card not tied to any archetype or series? Disasterman, no question. It is, without a doubt, the most fun I have ever had designing any card, and it's one of the few things I can ever legitimately call myself proud of.

Marvel. It's a characterization thing.

Goku. Beyonder is an example of what I call " the fanboy bomb", something a writer busts out as a justification for doing something they really shouldn't from a story perspective, but fans might think is cool. While I'm not the biggest fan of DBZ, Goku at least has an arc and can be an entertaining character, when he's not being so bland I'd rather eat cardboard than watch the character.

Not as Hollywood and the gaming industry treat it nowadays I don't. I prefer a slow, looming threat that takes its time edging into focus, like an old monster movie. It's why the Cell saga is one of the few DBZ arcs I've ever paid attention to, just for its sheer setup.

Archived