Venom (2018)

Super Chaos Sonic

Welp it's here...the first trailer and look at the Venom movie coming out in October 2018. Honestly, this is a first look/first trailer, so I myself...cannot make a determined decision to say I'm excited or disappointed. Only time will tell at this point.

And for those who don't know, the movie seems to be based around "Venom: Lethal Protector" and "Planet of the Symbiotes". I'm just hoping this isn't another Sam Riami Venom from Spider-Man 3...smh.

…Meh. I don't particularly trust Sony with the Spider-Man film rights. I didn't mind the ASM films too much, but ASM2 was an egregious at trying to build a cinematic universe that could compete with Marvel Studios. While they've since relented in working with Marvel Studios and Disney to make Homecoming, this film has been in the works since ASM2, since Sony is still trying that cinematic universe. They're trying to wring what they can out of the Spider-Man film rights, so it's hard to separate this film from that corporate intent.

And watching this trailer, if you didn't know that this was actually about Venom, does anything in this film really indicate that? The line about "demons" seems more likely to suggest that this could be a new Ghost Rider film, since Sony once held the rights to him.

I do think Tom Hardy is a great choice as Eddie Brock. But beyond that… this still just has nothing to offer that's truly exciting.

…Meh. I don't particularly trust Sony with the Spider-Man film rights. I didn't mind the ASM films too much, but ASM2 was an egregious at trying to build a cinematic universe that could compete with Marvel Studios. While they've since relented in working with Marvel Studios and Disney to make Homecoming, this film has been in the works since ASM2, since Sony is still trying that cinematic universe. They're trying to wring what they can out of the Spider-Man film rights, so it's hard to separate this film from that corporate intent.

And watching this trailer, if you didn't know that this was actually about Venom, does anything in this film really indicate that? The line about "demons" seems more likely to suggest that this could be a new Ghost Rider film, since Sony once held the rights to him.

I do think Tom Hardy is a great choice as Eddie Brock. But beyond that… this still just has nothing to offer that's truly exciting.

Ahhh, someone who shares my worry with Sony XD

Yeah the fact that you only saw the Symbiote in that tube in the truck, you wouldn't immediately think this was a Venom movie at all. What worries most people is that the trailer seemed almost afraid to show off the first look of Venom. I know that Marvel does like to want to keep things close to the chest, similar to how they did it with Spidey's reveal in Civil War, but for something like this...you'd think we'd get an immediate peek or glance at it, even if it was in the shadows or something.

I suppose we just wait until the next trailer...which should hopefully be soon.

I didn't even notice the symbiote at first. That's the problem, they completely downplayed the symbiote's very existence that you're not really sure it's there. You're right that it seemed afraid to show off the first look. It reminds me of how the Deadpool 2 trailer made a joke about the green screen effect for Cable's arm, except we did see the arm in that trailer anyway.

I hope there's another trailer soon as well. Possibly closer to when Infinity War is coming out.

While this is more related to another thread, I think this is a good time to direct you to something I mentioned in Debates. Sony has been shuffling some of their top executives, and it's currently looking like Sony Pictures has a chance of being sold off. While there's nothing in the works, it does look like Sony Pictures Chairman/CEO Tony Vinciquerra is worried that if Sony Pictures doesn't get bigger, they could get bought off, especially given how popular acquisitions and mergers happen to be these days. Supposedly, the Spider-Man rights are non-transferrable, so rather than having something like Disney buying Fox, we don't necessarily need Disney to buy Sony Pictures. Basically, no matter who could buy Sony Pictures, the rights will automatically revert to Marvel regardless.

So I really wonder what Sony's future could be if they plan more films than just this one. I know they're working on a team-up between Silver Sable and Black Cat, as well as a Morbius film.

I didn't even notice the symbiote at first. That's the problem, they completely downplayed the symbiote's very existence that you're not really sure it's there. You're right that it seemed afraid to show off the first look. It reminds me of how the Deadpool 2 trailer made a joke about the green screen effect for Cable's arm, except we did see the arm in that trailer anyway.

I hope there's another trailer soon as well. Possibly closer to when Infinity War is coming out.

While this is more related to another thread, I think this is a good time to direct you to something I mentioned in Debates. Sony has been shuffling some of their top executives, and it's currently looking like Sony Pictures has a chance of being sold off. While there's nothing in the works, it does look like Sony Pictures Chairman/CEO Tony Vinciquerra is worried that if Sony Pictures doesn't get bigger, they could get bought off, especially given how popular acquisitions and mergers happen to be these days. Supposedly, the Spider-Man rights are non-transferrable, so rather than having something like Disney buying Fox, we don't necessarily need Disney to buy Sony Pictures. Basically, no matter who could buy Sony Pictures, the rights will automatically revert to Marvel regardless.

So I really wonder what Sony's future could be if they plan more films than just this one. I know they're working on a team-up between Silver Sable and Black Cat, as well as a Morbius film.

With Black Panther coming out and Infinity War and Deadpool 2 as well, we should be seeing more trailers for it soon. So there is hope to see more...

But yeah, perhaps Deadpool 2's Cable trailer was somewhat making fun of the Venom trailer in regards to being afraid of showing anything. Either that or its just Deadpool's movie writers being clever and witty...either would work XD

Regarding the future, well let's get past Venom first before we look to the future is all I'm gonna say.

This is a really big year for the various Marvel films. Let's see how Venom holds up among them.

The Deadpool 2 trailer seemed more like poking fun at how Henry Cavill had to grow out a mustache for the new Mission: Impossible film, Warner Bros. had to digitally edit out his mustache for Justice League, which ended up looking… pretty bad.

And yeah, best to wait and see how Venom turns out.

Cliche trailer and they're opening it as early as this October.  Yeaaaaaah, idk man.  This one is RISKY.

Precisely.

However, further talk about this movie is gonna be needing that second trailer and glimpse of Venom. Cause that's what EVERYONE apparently was waiting for and they didn't deliver on that yet.

Sony also has Into the Spider-Verse this year. It'll be… interesting to see how Sony manages their Spider-Man films going forward.

On the flipside from this, that actually does look good and I'm feeling way more optimistic with Spider-Verse. It's got some promising talent behind it, staff and actors.

I'll echo that Tom Hardy was a decent pick for Venom, but doesn't change how they probably bungled their approach by doing this separately from MCU supervision.

• 2 months later...

That was… hmm. Not really sure Tom Hardy's performance should be reminding me of Jamie Foxx as Electro.

Also, it's pronounced "sim-bee-uht."

I dunno. That was a really awkward trailer. At least Venom himself looks okay.

Well given that I walked into this expect absolutely nothing good from this...its...its actually a bit better than I thought.

I'm getting Prototype vibes from the immediate useage of Venom's powers with the tendrils. At the same time, I wasn't 100% expecting the immediate voice in my head type of thing from this trailer, nor was I expecting the type of The Exorcist vibe from that alley scene with him being thrown against the wall. It's interesting to say the least...

I'm HOPING this will be good...as well as hoping to see some inkling of Tom Holland's Spidey to link him into the MCU even if its just a passing by cameo on TV or a newspaper.

I don't feel as excited for this as I thought I would, and Venom has been my most favorite comic book character since childhood. At least, I didn't stay excited, since I was pretty hyped when I finally got to see Venom. Then I realized that his origin story seems different from the original source, and the symbiote seems to be more harmful and parasitic than from what I remember in the comics (Eddie seems to be trying hard to adapt to being bonded to it in the trailer, but in the comics, everyone bonded to a symbiote got used to it almost immediately). I also share everyone's worry that Venom will only be in the movie for like, five minutes, with the rest of the movie just showing Eddie on the run, doing a few superhuman feats, and lashing out with a few tentacles from time to time.

I hope it's a lot better than I feel because I absolutely love this character, but even if it is, I'm probably going to be a stickler for the different origin story.

I'm kinda weirded out because it doesn't seem like there will be any Spider-Man involvement. Both Venom's powers are appearance (I didn't seem to notice his trademark white spider symbol on his chest) are partially attributed to the fact the symbiote was first bonded with Peter Parker, as well as their hatred of Spider-Man affecting their goals. Though I suppose if there's no Spider-Man for him to be the villain to, that explains this movie seemingly focusing more so on his anti-hero acts. I do appreciate the very apparent use of "we" from Venom, the movie seems to have their relationship right.

Also yeah, the way that lady pronounces symbiote is dumb.

Chaos Sonic has it spot on that this seems more like Prototype, although that's only to this film's detriment. As Shradow pointed out, the whole point of Venom is that he was supposed to have been bonded with Peter first. I do like the idea of the Life Foundation using sim-bi-oats for experiments, but there doesn't seem to be any Spider-Man here whatsoever.

I mean, to put this in perspective, the Punisher did start off as a Spider-Man villain, but he grew out of that. He became so much of a character in his own right that him starting off as a Spider-Man characters feels more like trivia, like how Mystique was originally a Ms. Marvel villain, or Sabertooth fighting Iron Fist.

But Venom is not like any of those characters. You cannot just take him outside of his original context. Even when Venom becomes more an anti-hero, it's still in part because of his Spider-Man origins.

So it's... a little sad that Prototype actually does seem to be a more accurate comparison for this movie.

From what I've seen and spoke to with some comic enthusiasts that have more knowledge than I, it seems like they went with not only the "Lethal Protector" and "Planet of the Symbiotes", but it may also deal with the Ultimate universe Venom.

WHICH would most likely explain the way there is no physical connection to Parker/Spidey in the usual Venom method. Not sure if this is 100% or not, but it would explain a whole lot actually.

While Ultimate Venom doesn't have the same ties to Peter Parker, the main point was that Peter and Eddie's fathers created the symbiote. I could see Sony wanting to take aspects from the Ultimate Universe, but at most, I believe it would just come down to the symbiote being a manmade entity rather than an alien.

So that's what it comes down to. Is it an alien or manmade? I could certainly see a middle ground, such as the Life Foundation discovering one symbiote, and then they try to mass-produce them.

Though I suspect this will be a very loose adaptation of Planet of the Symbiotes. While that story did feature going to Venom's homeworld, eventually the title had a dual meaning where Earth was becoming the Planet of the Symbiotes, so I think they're only focusing on that aspect, with the Life Foundation's experiments risking to create a "planet of symbiotes".

...Hmm. You know, I think one story I wish they could adapt somehow was the 2010 Carnage miniseries, where a businessman tries to replicate Stark tech, and builds prosthetic limbs using the Carnage symbiote. This led to a group known as the Iron Rangers, which were something of a precursor to Tony's Superior Iron Man suit.

While Ultimate Venom doesn't have the same ties to Peter Parker, the main point was that Peter and Eddie's fathers created the symbiote. I could see Sony wanting to take aspects from the Ultimate Universe, but at most, I believe it would just come down to the symbiote being a manmade entity rather than an alien.

So that's what it comes down to. Is it an alien or manmade? I could certainly see a middle ground, such as the Life Foundation discovering one symbiote, and then they try to mass-produce them.

Though I suspect this will be a very loose adaptation of Planet of the Symbiotes. While that story did feature going to Venom's homeworld, eventually the title had a dual meaning where Earth was becoming the Planet of the Symbiotes, so I think they're only focusing on that aspect, with the Life Foundation's experiments risking to create a "planet of symbiotes".

...Hmm. You know, I think one story I wish they could adapt somehow was the 2010 Carnage miniseries, where a businessman tries to replicate Stark tech, and builds prosthetic limbs using the Carnage symbiote. This led to a group known as the Iron Rangers, which were something of a precursor to Tony's Superior Iron Man suit.

I believe it's going to be alien, but with the fact that Spidey isn't a factor in this, it would immediately make sense if its going down the Ultimate universe style of Venom, but again...we don't know much of anything else.

At the same time, there is a factor of the Ultimate Venom that may also be present in this: Venom could devour individuals. Which, given the newest trailer, that scream miiiiiiight've indicated that the Symbiote is devouring the henchmen XD

Archived