Arsenal format

Pretty much summarized by the following points:

1) summon only 1 card per turn be it normal, special, or flip. You can set a card and special a card in one turn though.

2) One spell and one trap activation per turn. You can set as many as you'd like.

3) 15 card hand, but no deck. You do not draw. 5 card side and extra decks.

4) Only one copy per card, and a maximum of 6 of each particular card type, monster, spell, and trap.

5) No life points, but you must discard a card for every 1000 lifepoints damage you would take. This can be compounded, so a sparks and an ookazi equals 1 card gone... This is also compounded with cards like upstart, so if you play upstart, then meteor of destruction, the opponent doesn't lose any cards, but if you play upstart, then attack with warwolf, they lose one card.

A simplified way of looking at it would be : If you're under 7000 lp, you must discard cards until you're above 7000, where 1 card=1000.

If this rule is still too confusing, you could scrap it altogether along with rule 6, and just play a regular 8000 lp game.

6) You must play at least one card from your hand each turn, either a summon, an activation, or a set. If you cannot, you lose. This is

also the only victory condition, and no alternate victory conditions are allowed.

7) No banlist. Most of the currently banned cards are either really hard to use or completely pointless in the format, since there's no deck, but in return, cards that directly affect the opponent's hand because cards such as reload, card destruction, CED and reincarnation would be broken instant win conditions, thus are banned. You're still allowed to play cards that allow you to draw though, even though you can't actually draw.

8) This should go without saying, but no hand size limit. Seriously, it should go without saying...

Weird, and a total overhaul of the entire game's rules, but might be fun...

A useful idea would be to run at least one spirit monster, so that you don't "Deck out" to a stall deck that rations it's resources while preventing you from attacking. Dark bribe is also a nice idea, since cards like snatch steal or change of heart could completely kill you, and the draw doesn't actually factor in, because you can't actually draw.

Sounds way too different to really predict anything out of this. My speculations are:

I'll assume Trickstar Reincarnation, Card Destruction, and any other like that are impossible to use because a deck to grab from simply does not exist. Same way everything that interacts with the deck in any way would be illegal gamestates at best. So Pot of Greed is not gonna do much.

Anything Extra Deck-related is also pretty much not worth it anymore, since what you put into the field at this slow pace now means everything, although I wonder how effect Summons function here, because one thing is to say "Normal/Flip/Special Summons are OPT now" but that seems to cover inherent Summons. So what about something like a Junk Synchron or Scapegoat?

My theory about this format is that the best strategy would definitely include Delinquent Duo (double Discard) and Raigeki (easy clearing up) as staples, and Don Zaloog (after Raigeki clearing, your direct attack would cause 2 discards, 1 from Zaloog's effect, and 1 from the rules of this format).

Magic Cylinder also sounds like a pretty good catch now considering the speed of the game. Even Double Passe.

Kuriboh for diminishing the discard, maybe Hanewata too (they turn 2 discards into a single self discard so that's something).

Magician of Faith and DMoC for extra Delinquent Duo (and Magical Dimension). Spell of Pain counter....

Everything would standardize to more or less a single best-build and you might as well test it as if they were chess pieces with very minor potential unusual techs.

From there, what would make or break it would be the replay potential. If the full standardized ideal build of 15 cards is varied and skillful enough, it'll be a pass.... or at least that's what I think about it off the top of my head.

As for your first point, rule no seven specifically bans cards that mess with the opponent's hand, such as reincarnation and card destruction.

Second point: You can only summon one card, scapegoat gives 1 token, I guess? Or maybe tokens don't count as cards. Yeah, Let's make tokens not count as cards. Junk synchron doesn't get its effect.

Delinquent duo, aside from being banned due to rule 7, is also just a 2 for 2 card, since the 1000 lp cause you to lose an extra card. And if you want to cause 2 discards, you could just run gene warped warwolf or something, because 2k=2 discards.

Wait, I forgot to put that on rule 7. I must have been half asleep or something... Sorry, Cards that affect the opponent's hand are banned. I forgot to put that there.

Magic cylinder does make sense, but you do only get 1 trap, and traps are the only disruption means you really have, so... It's worth playing one all the same though.

Kuriboh is kinda outclassed by swift scarecrow, at least that's my take on it. Also, since it's currently the opponent's turn, unless you really want an end phase call of the haunted, battle fader won't take your one summon, and can go into raiza or something next turn, so I wouldn't run kuriboh.

Honestly, there's so many cards in the game, that there's no way there's going to be too much monotony in the 15 cards. I would honestly run at least 1 raigeki, 1 harpie's and one spirit, preferably asura priest or tsukiomi to prevent decking out to stall decks, but other than that I can list a crazy number of cards I would want to run. Moraltech would be a real blowout, it'd waste one spell, then pop one card, then give you a free summon(Since it's enemy turn). I feel like I'd also run raiza, and maybe caius. There's also battle fader, generic big beaters like warwolf, meteor of destruction, swords of revealing light, and a card I'm kinda toying with, raging flame sprite, which could go completely ballistic after a couple turns behind swords.

Heck I'm even considering breaker. That guy.

There's just so many cards in the game that we can do crazy things with. A lot of cards that would otherwise never see play now can, and remember, metamorphosis is a thing, so we could see some goat format things, Drident would be nice, off a thouroughblade, end phase call of haunted into drident, which lets you pop a card.

There's also the cyberdarks, so a field spell, claw, and a single monster, such as edge makes a simple engine, where you can raigeki break or take damage to discard claw, then activate the field and summon edge, which gives you a 2400 majispecter that can pop a card off n'tss, then dump omega to recycle n'tss, and so on. Claw even recycles itself for damage protection and discard fodder, and if you run 2 cyberdarks, claw can add the first to the hand when the second is destroyed, and the second to the hand when the first is destroyed, thus givind an endless stream of 2400 beaters, although a single raiza or caius could break the loop. Cyberdarks and monarchs might be two of the best builds I can think of...

Also, a monarch deck with magesty's fiend, caius, raiza, mobius, brain control, change of heart, stormforth and soul exchange, maybe even battle fader. That could be a really powerful build. Your opponent summons something? tribute it, pop a card, then get a 2400 beater.

There's so many crazy things that could be done.

A really interesting idea. It's pretty much an entirely different game but with YGO cards. With so many cards available, I cannot have any remote idea of what a "meta" would look like, but I suspect once things settle down the core may end up quite similar, with Raigeki and other 1-of good stuffs.

How would things work when you deal less than 1000 damage? Do they accumulate and once it reaches 1000+ the discard occurs?

Also I would like for the compound mechanic to be elaborated a bit more. For example, you mention that an attack with Warwolf (2000 damage) plus Upstart (+1000) would result in a single discard, but how would the timings in this case work? Do you activate Upstart in MP1, then the opponent takes note of the gained LP and if it would discard by taking1000+ damage, that extra LP is reduced instead? Or would you have to "chain" Upstart to Warwolf's attack? Although this means you would have to play Upstart in the Battle Phase.

This is putting aside that Upstart wouldn't work in this format if I understood correctly, since you got no cards in the Deck to draw.

Upstart wouldn't work, It's just the most famous gain LP card I could think of. Essentially, you do keep track of LP, and every time it goes under 1000, you discard. I kinda mentioned that with sparks and ookazi, so a sparks and an ookazi is one discard. 

The example I was going for is using an upstart during M1, then directly attacking with warwolf in BP, which deals 1000 net damage, and is thus a single discard. If you played upstart in M2, however, the opponent discards 2, but is at net +1000, so he has some protection against the next attack.

Pretty much, you have to keep note of the LP, at least the LP gain, because the net LP loss is always under 1000.

Upstart might actually see some play as a counter to raiza (Because Pot of greed can't resolve), because monarchs(Mini kind), cyberdarks, and artifacts are the archetypes that best play around the restrictions because of their methods to summon big monsters off 1 summon, access to easy spot removal, and lower reliance on special summoning.

Or maybe archetypes themselves might be unviable and staple mash decks might be predominant, I dunno. You can't analyze with a cardpool this big.

Archived