[MtG] February 12th Banned and Restricted List Announcement

Rodrigo

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/february-12-2018-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2018-02-12

Announcement Date: February 12, 2018

Modern:

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is unbanned.

Bloodbraid Elf is unbanned.

Effective Date: February 19, 2018

Magic Online Effective Date: February 14, 2018

The list of all banned and restricted cards, by format, is here.

Next B&R Announcement: April 16, 2018

The madmen actually did it. Now to see how those two infamous cards shake up the format.

I agree with a lot of the people that shaking things up after Modern just had its best showing since it started is a weird choice.

I also get why people are like "cash grab for Masters 25", but things would be just as bad if Jace demanded exploded but the card hadn't been reprinted recently. Personally, even if that is the reason (WotC needs to make money and it isn't like Maro hasn't said rare lands are rare to sell packs) I'd only get mad if they turn around and ban him in the next year. That is just a terrible look.

I don't have any real thoughts on BBE.

Jace won't be banned. It isn't good for the format, but it is fine in the format.

After getting over the whole sensation of "the lads actually did it!" this is where I ended up. Like, he's powerful and all, but there are more than a few ways of combating him in the top decks right now. Tron can power out a Karn or Ugin in the same time it takes him to resolve; Burn and Pyromancer's reactions are effectively *laughs in Lightning Bolt*; DS can just swap Terminates out for Dreadbores; etc. The only existing archetypes that stand to benefit from him are WUx Control and maaaaaybe Titanshift variants? Other than that, it's sad to say that the most powerful planeswalker is mostly homeless.

Same goes with BBE. She would be a lot better in a more traditional Jund build, but right now that doesn't really exist. RGx value decks don't really exist in the same capacity anymore: the equivalent would be Abzan but that obviously isn't the right color combo.

• 4 months later...

Archived