Gourmet Archetype

Ultimagamer

This was a fun little thing I made based on ratatouille. It's a fusion summoning archetype based around sort of a reverse sylvan, this involving the bottom of the deck and calling it correctly. Please tell me your thoughts on this, I would like to make it better.

Gourmet Dish - Filet Mignon

Level 3 / Earth / Fiend

1500 attack / 1200 defense

You can special summon this card from your hand by discarding 1 card. If this card is normal or special summoned: you can look at the bottom 5 cards of your deck. If any of them are “Gourmet” cards, you can arrange them in any order on the bottom of your deck. Place the other cards on top of your deck in any order. You can only use each effect of “Gourmet Dish - Filet Mignon” once per turn.

Gourmet Dish - French Onion Soup

Level 3 / Earth / Fiend

1000 attack / 100 defense

You can special summon this card from your hand by discarding 1 card. If this card is normal or special summoned: you can take 1 “Gourmet” card from your graveyard; add 1 “Gourmet” card from your deck to your hand, then place the card from your graveyard on the bottom of your deck. You can only use each effect of “Gourmet Dish - French Onion Soup” once per turn.

Gourmet Dish - Pork Chops

Level 3 / Earth / Fiend

1200 attack / 1200 defense

You can special summon this card from your hand by discarding 1 card. If this card is normal or special summoned: you can target 1 “Gourmet” card in your graveyard; place that target on the bottom of your deck, then draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of “Gourmet Dish - Pork Chops” once per turn.

Gourmet Ingredient - Perfect Sauce

Level 1 / Earth / Fiend

0 attack / 0 defense

If this card is normal or special summoned: you can reveal the bottom card of your deck. If the revealed card has “Gourmet” in it’s card text, you can add that card to your hand. If the revealed card is a monster, you can also special summon it to your field in defense position. If this card is used as a Fusion material: you can draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of “Gourmet Ingredient - Perfect Sauce” once per turn.

Gourmet Ingredient - Fancy Spices

Level 1 / Earth / Fiend

0 attack / 0 defense

If this card is normal or special summoned: you can reveal the bottom 3 cards of your deck, and if you reveal a “Gourmet” monster, except “Gourmet Ingredient - Fancy Spices”, you can special summon one of those monsters, then place the rest of the cards on the bottom of your deck in any order. If this card is used as a fusion material: you can add 1 other “Gourmet” card from your graveyard to your hand. You can only use each effect of “Gourmet Ingredient - Fancy Spices” once per turn.

Gourmet Ingredient - Fresh Herbs

Level 1 / Earth / Fiend

0 attack / 0 defense

If this card is normal or special summoned: you can reveal the bottom 3 cards of your deck, and if you reveal any “Gourmet” cards with this effect, draw the same number of cards then discard cards equal to the amount of other cards revealed if any. If this card is used as a fusion material: add the bottom card of your deck to your hand, then place the top card of your deck on the bottom of your deck. You can only use each effect of “Gourmet Ingredient - Fresh Herbs” once per turn.

Gourmet Fusion

Spell - Normal

Fusion summon 1 “Gourmet” Fusion monster by sending the required materials from your hand and/or field to the graveyard. During the first turn in which this card is activated, if this card is sent to the graveyard: you can add this card from your graveyard to your hand. After the turn in which this effect is used, if this card would be sent from the field to the graveyard, place this card on the bottom of your deck instead.

Plongeur, the Lowest of the Gourmet Cooks

Link 3 / Link / Warrior / Earth / Effect

2000 attack

Link Markers: Down left / Down / Down Right

Link Materials: 3 “Gourmet” monsters

When this card is link summoned; you can special summon up to 2 “Gourmet” monsters from your deck in defense mode to main monster zones this card points to, then take 1 “Gourmet” card from your graveyard and place it on the bottom of your deck. If this card is sent to the graveyard: you can add 2 “Gourmet” cards from your graveyard to your hand.

Commis, the Gourmet Kitchen Cook

Level 6 / Fusion / Warrior / Earth / Effect

2200 attack / 2000 defense

Fusion Materials: 2 “Gourmet” monsters

Must first be summoned by fusion summoned. When this card is summoned: you can target 2 “Gourmet” monsters in your graveyard; place 1 of those targets on the bottom of your deck, then special summon the other one. If this card leaves the field: you can special summon 1 “Gourmet” monster from your hand.

Chef de partie, the Gourmet Station Worker

Level 8 / Fusion / Warrior / Earth / Effect

2600 attack / 2500 defense

Fusion Materials: 2 “Gourmet Dish” monsters

When this card is fusion summoned: you can special summon any number of “Demi Chef De Partie, the Apprentice Chef” from your extra deck to zones a link monster you control points to. If the card leaves the field: you can target 1 level 7 or lower “Gourmet” fusion monster in your graveyard, special summon that target.

Demi Chef De Partie, the Apprentice Gourmet Chef

Level 7 / Fusion / Warrior / Earth / Effect

1900 attack / 1200 defense

Fusion Materials: 1 “Gourmet Dish” card + 1 “Gourmet Ingredient” card

While you control 2 or more monsters with the same name, this card gains 500 attack and 1000 defense. You can tribute 1 Fusion monster you control: reveal the bottom card of your deck. If the revealed card is a “Gourmet” card, add it to your hand, or special summon it to your field in defense mode. If it is not a “Gourmet” card, banish it face down, then take 1000 damage.

Saucier, Master of the Gourmet Sauces

Level 9 / Fusion / Warrior / Earth / Effect

3000 attack / 2800 defense

Fusion Materials: 1 “Gourmet Dish” monster + 2 “Gourmet Ingredient” monsters

Must first be fusion summoned. When this card is summoned; target any number of “Gourmet” cards in your graveyard. Place those targets on the bottom of your deck in any order, then destroy cards your opponent controls up to the number of cards placed by this effect. If this card leaves the field, you can add the bottom card of your deck to your hand.

Sous Chef, Gourmet Assistant to the Master

Level 10 / Fusion / Warrior / / Earth / Effect

3500 attack / 3200 defense

Fusion Materials: 3 “Gourmet” Fusion monsters

Must first be fusion summoned. Once per turn: if all the cards in your hand are “Gourmet” cards, you can place your hand on the bottom of your deck ( in any order ) then draw cards equal to the amount + 3. During your main phase: you can discard 1 “Gourmet” card and tribute this card; special summon 1 “Gourmet” card from your extra deck ignoring it’s summoning conditions except “Sous Chef, Assistant to the Master”.

Head Chef, Master of the Gourmet Kitchen

Level 12 / Fusion / Warrior / Earth / Effect

4000 attack / 4000 defense

Fusion Materials: 3 “Gourmet” Fusion monsters + 1 “Gourmet Dish” monster + 1 “Gourmet Ingredient” monster

Must be fusion summoned and cannot be summoned by other ways. When this card is fusion summoned: you can reveal cards from the bottom of your deck until you reveal a card that is not a “Gourmet” card. Add all “Gourmet” cards to your hand or special summon them to your field, then place the other card on top of your deck. If this card leaves the field: you can special summon 1 “Gourmet” card from your extra deck ignoring it’s summoning conditions except “Head Chef, Master of the Gourmet Kitchen”.

Gourmet Restaurant.

Spell - Field

The summons of fusion monsters that list “Gourmet” in their card text cannot be negated, also their effects cannot be negated. If you control no fusion monsters: you can excavate the bottom card of your deck, and if it is a “Gourmet” card, apply 1 of the following effects

• Monster: add that card to your hand or special summon that monster to your field

• Spell/Trap: add that card to your hand or place it on top of your deck

Gourmet Dish Orders

Spell - Normal

Take 3 “Gourmet” cards with different names and place them on the bottom of your deck in any order. If this card is in your graveyard: you can banish this card from your graveyard and declare 1 “Gourmet” card name. If the declared card is on the bottom of your deck, you can add that card to your hand, then draw 1 card. You can only use one effect of “Gourmet Dish Orders” per turn and only once that turn.

Opening the Gourmet Restaurant

Spell - Normal

Activate only at the start of your main phase 1. Add 1 “Gourmet Dish” and 1 “Gourmet Ingredient” monster from your deck to your hand. You cannot tribute summon monsters or special summon monsters from the extra deck that are not “Gourmet” monsters during the turn you activate this effect. You can only activate 1 “Opening the Gourmet Restaurant” per turn.

Hm, the bottom of the Deck. We don't have many cards that interact with that; Skulldeat, Sylvans and perhaps a little Gishki, but that's it. Not many potential broken combinations, not much to look at in the current meta; let's go in as a basically archetypal set!

Filet eats into your hand advantage to Summon it, and doesn't provide any immediate pay-off. Sets up for the rest of the cards, but needs said other cards to be live. French Onion's searching...not really great for the archetype. I mean, it shuffles after you get to add (don't force it not to shuffle though, bad idea) so why it instead allow you to draw 1 card from the bottom of the Deck? It will basically be a search anyway. Don't know why Pork Chops lets you draw a card from the top, but there's no reason why not to, I guess? Not seeing too much hand advantage at the moment. Perfect Sauce, on the other hand, is that missing link, giving you an immediate plus from your Deck AND from being used to Fusion Summon. Very helpful for the archetype. Fancy Spices does the same thing except differently, so plusses are always nice. Really love Fresh Herb's second effect, granting you a search while messing up your potential order in a not really too hurtful way. I can't say I completely understand the first effect though; could you explain it? 

I love the mechanic with the Fusion Spell. I would, however, suggest wording akin to this:

"If this card was sent to the GY because it was activate this turn: You can Set this card from your GY to your Spell & Trap Zone, but place it on the bottom of your Deck when it leaves the field."

Yes, it's slightly more vulnerable to removal, but this way if you keep activating the card, the effect can stack much more easily.

Plongeur isn't very...field remaining, if you catch my drift. He doesn't have much staying power, and exists purely as a ladder; as most Link 2s generally are. I would suggest nerfing him a bit, and knocking down him to a Link 2 as well. I mean, his ATK is more of a Link 2 atm...but if you do this, you won't be able to get 3 Link monsters. Hm. Just make him be able to stand on his own two fee then. Your next two monsters, Commis and Station Worker simply work as means to get to the stronger monsters. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, just when you purely have support, you don't really have means of removal or any of the monster's own unique quirks in terms of playstyle. They just Summon and search. Apprentice Gourmet is a little more interesting, but probably doesn't need the burn on the last effect. Banishing face-down is a bad anyway. Stat boost is underwhelming, as it doesn't stack and is a miniscule amount anyway. I would suggest keeping the concept and either buffing it or letting it stack in some way. Saucier is a great means of removal, something the Deck was lacking, but its specific Summoning requirements hurt it a bit much, imo. Turn one of the ingredients into a "Gourmet" monster, or a "Gourmet" Fusion Monster, as chance are you've already used up your Ingredients and Dishes and such for your other 4 Fusion Monsters AND your Link monster. Main problem I have with Sous Chef and Head Chef is that...why would I ever Summon Head Chef his normal way when I could just ladder with Sous Chef? Yes, if I have no cards in my hand and just happen to control those 5 monsters, then I won't be able to Sous Chef, but in most other scenarios, in fact, in all of them, Sous Chef eats less resources than Head Chef! Also, for a boss, Head Chef is conspicuously lacking any sort of removal or protection. In fact, none of these cards have protection, and are easily dealt with, and outside of Saucier, don't really hurt your opponent. This deck doesn't have a "win condition" or anything like it. It sort of just combos until it peters out.

For the Field Spell, can't you just provide protection to all Gourmet Fusion Monsters? I mean, none of the Fusion Monsters related to the archetype aren't part of it, so you don't have to do those card text shenanigans. Dish Orders is a fun card to use, but I don't think you you need that super hard OPT. Why not:

"If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then declare 1 “Gourmet” card name; if the declared card is on the bottom of your deck, you can add that card to your hand, then draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of "Gourmet Dish Orders" once per turn."

This way, you can use the card in tandem with itself late game, but you can't immediately use its GY effect after its Summon effect. So, one way SHOPT, I guess? Opening doesn't need that Main Phase 1 restriction; the following Summoning limitation is bad enough. But really, it's not an altogether bad card.

My main problem with this set is that it doesn't really do anything. It combos, gets out monsters with decent ATK, but it can't really spam them because of Link Format, and if it does manage to...you can only hope your opponent doesn't have a field, because you only have one cards that deals with removal, and all of your cards are vulnerable to every form of removal. Also, while it's easy to keep the ball rolling with the Fusion Monsters and spam out your monsters from your Deck, your main Deck monsters don't really have that necessary speed to get out said monsters, so it's only with very good hands that you can get anywhere.

Archived