• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Darkrai1276

Darkrai1276

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
    Last Visit

An archetype I made about a year ago, however, they weren't very good nor in depth. I've wanted to put in time to totally remake the whole archetype.

coollogo_com_2368746_by_darkrai1276-dc2r

Paracides are an archetype following the concepts put in place by "Parasite Paracide". The entire archetype is built around his three effects those being the following

- Main purpose- Shuffling themselves into the opponent's deck and gaining advantage when drawn

- Secondary purpose- Turning all monsters Insect and gaining advantage from this

- Tertiary purpose- Burn damage when their effects go off.

(technically it was also a flip monster, but krawlers are already a flip effect based insect archetype, we don't really need another. Instead, the retrains of Parasite Paracide go into the opponent's deck when leaving the field.)

Every "Paracide" card has the following initial text; "If this card you opponent owns is in your hand:". Rulings wise this means at the moment any chain can start; if a card that originated from the opponent's deck is in your hand you must activate the effect(unless impossible, such as a Majesty's Fiend on the field). All of these effects are negative for the one activating it since it's going to be used by the opponent. They also always have a hard OPT clause to avoid potential abuse and infinite loops. To keep consistency, cards without this effect are kept out of the archetype such as "Excavator bug" All monsters are also Insect EARTH with less than 500 DEF, which comes into play with a few cards.

Also all Paracides have an additional effect when the first effect is applied during the draw phase to let your opponent (worded so its always the one activating the paracide) draw one card. This prevents them from stopping your opponents draws so choose wisley when letting your opponent topdeck them.

The entire archetype is all revolving around these concepts, with every card focusing on the first purpose in some way. I also wanted to make a few non-archetype supports that are essentially retrains of the three support cards Parasite paracide had those being "Drill bug", "Jade Insect whistle" and "Insect barrier".

Oh ill also add in some lore for these guys in italics.

(Note; "Parasite Paranoid" is not part of the archetype due to having no effect connection and the name is different. He is a useful tech card though)

Lore:

When the World Legacy fought and destroyed the Krawler invasion they didn't realize what was left behind. The remains and nests of the Krawlers left behind a parasitic curse that infested thousands and left destruction in its wake and the epidemic of the Paracides became know.

Due to this being a pretty large archetype I've organised them for convince sake. Simply open up the spoiler section for the card type then click on the card name. That way this doesn't turn into a massive wall of text.

IMPORTANT: Most Art for the cards are taken from other TCGs such as MTG, Duel Masters and Alteli. Some other art is used such as from Chrono Trigger. All copyright for any images belongs to their original owners and are merely used as representations here. If there are any issues regarding copyright please notify me and I will change it asap.

(Also very important: Currently none of the cards match the effect correctly due to updates; these will be corrected in the future. As such please use the effect typed below the card for the current up-to-date effect and stats as most have had signifcant changes.)

Monsters
Spell Cards
Trap Cards
Non-archetypal Support Cards

Other cards that work well with the archetype;

Excluding obvious staples

• Exchange and graceful tears- Both allow you to instantly transfer a Paracide to the opponent's hand. Exchange is literally a Dragged Down to the Grave for Paracides and lets you totally get rid of a problematic card from the opposing hand (It's literally a win condition against exodia which is fun). They can both be a tad slow however so keep that in mind.
  • Gift Exchange- This is obviously a fantastic card in the archetype. Letting you get ANY paracide card you need to infect the opponent's hand is a brilliant effect and lets you steal a card out of the opponent's deck for discard fodder. Keep in mind the effect of the Paracide will activate during the turn end phase so don't use it with the stun cards or you'll waste the effect.
  • Jade Insect whistle- Useful in the deck for sure but Parasite Gathering is just better since it has an additonal effect; still it can be useful for setting up a chain of paracides.
  • All of the new insect support- Most of them work brilliantly with the archetype and benefit off of insect conversion. Many of these can help out with any issues the archetype has
  • Aztekipede, the Worm Warrior- Combatable with the non-archtype trio thanks to his def, he can be a fantastic card to run. Milling your opponent's deck is actually not a bad idea as you want as few non-paracide cards in there so they have a better chance of going to the top of the opponent's deck.
  • Dark designator- For the first time in its life, this card is actually good (I'm noticing a trend here actually), can very easily get a waiting Paracide into the opponent's deck. Good for budget decks but other paracide cards can already pull this effect off.
  • Card shuffle- Okay now I'm stretching it. If there's paracides waiting in the opponent's deck you can use this to hope for one of them to get shuffled on top of the deck if you're lucky. Its....a silly idea but it is by FAR the best use card shuffle has ever had in its life.
  • Sticky-String Kaiju- While Glutton can kill virtually anything Kumungos is a great card in an unorthodox way; with its ability to give your opponent an insect monster she can quickly proc several effects and helps out the deck in different ways. A good monster to consider running.
  • OG Parasite Paraicde- Now im not sure what the ruling is but im fairly certain if he is shuffled by a Paracide effect then drawn his effect goes off. But in all seriousness don't play him; Infector is better in literally every way. However if you really want to cut off a draw it can be useful, since it doesnt have the other paracides built in Yata-style lock prevention.
  • Appropriate- Since your opponent draws off of every paracide activated during the draw phase this can net you some serious advantage. Just be careful as you might not always be able to force those topdecks and this can very easily be a 'do nothing card'.

And that's about it. Hope I didn't prattle on too long about these ideas. I would love some feedback; are they good, terrible, need buffing, nerfing? A pretty big amount of effort was put into making these guys and balancing them appropriately so even negative criticism is more than welcome.

Edited by Darkrai1276, Yesterday, 09:33 PM.

Dova

Dova

DovaMember

• Dova
  • 2,860 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 10:56 PM
  • Discord:Dova#1498
  • Alias:Dova

Just confirming I have a review in the works. I have to go in an hour though for a camp for 2 days, so stay tuned!

Here's what I have so far, not talking about individual monsters:

Just quick note regarding card grammar, "Condition: Cost; effect". Condition is when the card or effect is activated, or its timing (e.g. "Once per turn", "If this card your opponent owns is in your hand:") and if there is no cost (an action that is performed at the card's activation, but not its resolution) you just use a colon, and capitalize the first letter of the effect. Just some tips for you :P Also, you do not have to include "you must activate this effect" as any effect that doesn't include "you can" is automatically mandatory. Also, "would leave the field" is an action that occurs mid-chain, so it cannot activate (i.e. I activate a card or effect, then you chain Raigeki Break targeting my monster. As Break resolves, your monster's effect would activate, but we're still in the middle of the chain. See Counter Fairies). You would generally just put a colon, although I would recommend "if this card leaves the field" as that still applies for almost every scenario save shuffling into the Deck and being banished face-down.

The main problem I have with this archetype itself is the fact that you're not only eating up your opponent's main draw, but potentially further draws as well once you have the ball rolling. Yes, that is the intention, but remember, Yata-Garatsu is banned for simply skipping the Draw Phase; players wish they could skip their Draw phase against Paracides. It not only stagnates the game, but punishes your opponent when they try to recover. There is an element of chance to it, but that then turns this archetype into "monster at top; opponent loses/monster not at top; i lose" which isn't fun for either player. Puppet, and without the first effect, Infector, both deal with searching, and I feel that's the route you should go; sacrifice power for consistency.

"I make cards, but I can't make decks" - Dova 2016

Proud member of the Archetype Generator Meta and Duelist Port Royal! 

Random Stuff

Darkrai1276

Darkrai1276

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
    Last Visit

Thanks for the feedback

I had a feeling I had messed up the wording in a few places. As far as I can tell it is not gameplay affect so it should be okay but ill be sure to add those fixes into any cards that need other changes (since almost every card has the effect, it'd be a bit of a pain to correct them all for a small change.)

For the draw canceling this is a major issue I had when balancing the archetype as a whole. I originally had more cards with Jade insect style adding and such but I left those out for that exact issue; draw stomping is very powerful. Thus the majority rely more on luck and other effects to be drawn ie your not going to consistently lockout draws turn 1/2 every duel you NEED setup to pull that off and most decks can counter it easily. Only Corrosive wing and Empress actually let you topdeck a paracide and the former needs one to be in the opposing deck beforehand meaning setup is needed. 

Regarded the comments on consistency, I kinda had that in mind with the archetype though perhaps i missed the ball. Nest and Gathering are by themselves instant searchers and a large amount of the archetype can get the monsters from the deck or GY straight to the field. I almost felt as if more searchers would've been a bit overkill. Ill need to have a bit of a reevaluate perhaps.

I cant make the changes rn but ill have a look over some of the problematic cards and change them when I can. From the looks of it ill need to make sure topdecking paracides isn't consistent; relying more on just adding them straight to the hand. Keep in mind the opponent has many ways of stopping a topdecked Paracide to stop a lockdown such as any sort of search card (which will force a deck shuffle so unless you're really lucky it's not being topdecked again.)

Paracides in the opponent's deck can indeed cause a lockdown; its one of their win conditions, particularly when combined with Invader's discard ability but pulling that off usually requires multiple paracides in the deck as well as the opponent having lost a good bit of their own cards (via Desires and Core). It's not a gameplay state that's as consistent as one might imagine. Its nowhere near as consistent as Yata lock was, but at the same time not as horribly inconsistent as say a Fenrir lock. It wouldn't be a goal any competitive build be aiming for. The topdecking is more of a bonus power, such as with the draw canceling of Phoenix Wing Wind Blast

The biggest issue right now is balancing these sort of things is extremely tricky with no way of testing them in a real game.

Also, jade-insect whistle might be more powerful in this archetype than I gave it credit for

Dova

Dova

DovaMember

• Dova
  • 2,860 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 10:56 PM
  • Discord:Dova#1498
  • Alias:Dova

You're talking about an inconsistent lock, and, to be honest, I think that's a problem in a Deck. You end up with a Deck that wins inconsistently, with either player not having much control on said win, but when it does win your opponent can't do anything about it, so it's not a fun experience for either player. At least, it wouldn't be fun for me. My recommendation is to make it more consistent against your opponent, but make it hurt them less. Again, this is is merely a design choice commentary; actual power discussion is below.

Core sets up the archetype up to a VERY powerful start. You've almost certainly remove 10 cards from your opponent's Deck permanently, given yourself a draw to replace the monster, AND given yourself another means of removal. And it's a Tuner. For starters, considering it cannot attack, I would remove the battle damage protection; it's not needed, as the monster is being Summoned to defense position anyway. I would also suggest it banishes less. Invader is a little bit more balanced, but still, you're eating up their advantage, having it replace itself when it is Summoned AND granting you a search. Invader is the key card in the archetype, if only for consistency. Infector is too powerful again, even without the fact that it doesn't place itself in the Deck. Burn damage is fine, but the complete lockdown of monsters being able to be Tributed or used as a Material...how is your opponent supposed to play around that, unless they get lucky and are playing Fusions with materials in the hand? However, I do like mechanics of how it SS's itself, and forces your opponent to search out your monsters. I feel like that's what you should've gone with, rather than leaving it mostly up to chance and making up for that with powerful effects. Paracides and the "C" is a lot more balanced, if again being a tad too strong. It only limits Link Summons AND does the Typing thing, which is fine, and although it can just Summon itself, it is almost on the same Level as that other new "C" monster that blocks all Summons. Perhaps it's fine. Puppet forces the entire Deck to be revealed for each player to show all potential Paracide and non-Paracide cards, which is a bit much imo, but hey, that wasn't you intention. At least it's the sort of effect that works with both players, and isn't too painful. However, combined with the sheer strength of the rest of the archetype...yeah. In fact, Puppet is too slow when compared to Invader. To be honest, I'm not entirely a fan of the Paracides returning back to your side of the field when your opponent draws them, as with Invader and Glutton. Maybe it's the parasites having returned to you once they've had a nibble, but I would've thought you would've had different monsters for the actual parasites and their enablers. However, I do like its on battle destruction effect, even with its potential punishing.

DWELLER NO KILL IT WITH FIRE. Turning your archetype into a stall themed one leaves your opponent with even less things to do, as how they are supposed to get around monsters with so much DEF and that cannot be targeted? Also, you are forcing your opponent to draw one your cards at the end of the Battle Phase?! Why not give them a simple draw instead, potentially helping them but also leaving it open for harm. It also deal with such high DEF for a Level 4 (technically 2.5k), and with the targeting, its a much better wall than Destiny Hero Defender. I do like Killer though, against my better judgement. All effects are unique, creative, and helpful to you without harming your opponent too much. It also grants your opponent the ability to choose how they want to damage themselves, so...kudos! More cards should be like Killer, imo. Corrosive is another card in this vein, although perhaps a little strong with both the burn AND the field wipe AND the additional burn. Queen, again...allowing your opponent to choose what they Summon to their side of the field, which you have some basic control over...I love the idea of giving your opponent a choice of a selection of cards you have a provided; it's completely up to your decisions and plays as to how badly they suffer. Perhaps the protection is a bit much (drop ATK boost to 500?) 3rd effect should target. Empress is a bit too good at placing the card in your opponent Deck; I suggest the last effect only shuffle monsters from your field.

Yeah, there's a bunch of other cards, but whether I look at that or not depends on your decision. If you decide to keep your original theme, and roll with it, that's fine, but I don't want to look through a bunch of cards and keep changes to myself I know you won't make. However, if you are happy to go with what I've suggested in terms of changing it from a less painful but more accessible archetype, I'll probably continue.

"I make cards, but I can't make decks" - Dova 2016

Proud member of the Archetype Generator Meta and Duelist Port Royal! 

Random Stuff

Darkrai1276

Darkrai1276

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
    Last Visit

Wow didn't expect such an in-depth review. Thanks for that, its a good motovator

In response, I've made the following changes: (do note that these are currently only on the typed effects not on the cards as of yet)

• Fixed incorrect card grammar on all cards such as incorrect use of semi-colons and the unnecessary "you must activate this effect" (thank you find and replace and past me for keeping those lines consistent.) 
  • Core- Changed banishing cards to simply sending them, however, they cant use their effects that turn to compensate. No longer banishes when battling instead shuffles into the deck (basically the same just themed a bit better)
  • Infector- Removed the free draw and replaced it with a way to gain ATK.
  • "C"- Fixed the second effect being unintentionally mandatory. Changed the last effect from stopping all link summons to just negating extra deck monster effects (fyi totally forgot Contract "C" was a thing until now and was already a link format "C" monster, whoopsie)
  • Puppet- Minor change, incorrectly declaring "summon material" changed to "link, synchro or XYZ material".
  • Glutton-  Minor; just split the last two effects up for better clarity.
  • Dweller- Changed  DEF gain to 1500(somehow i didn't notice it went past the max DEF threshold of 2200) Last effect changed; now causes the opponent to draw 2 and return 3 excluding paracides. May add an additional ability to the second effect later since he's a tad underwhelming right now.
  • Stinger- Fixed a major issue where I'm a complete idiot and forgot to add this guy.
  • Corrosive wing- Now only destroys monsters with less than 1500ATK. The opponent now chooses the card that is topdecked with the second effect. 
  • Queen- Reduced ATK gain to 500, last effect now targets.
  • Empress- No longer special summons a Paracide when synchro summoned; the paracide topdeck is more than powerful enough. Also added a missing OPT clause so you cant just make multiple and lockout the opponent (i thought the "Only control one" would be enough but better safe than sorry).

And i think that's all the changes to the monsters for now. Agree with most of what your saying and i understand the complaints. However, I want Paracides to be a unique specimen while still being a decent deck. I initially had designed all the paracides to summon themselves to the opponent's field but I couldn't find ways to benefit the owner then and they ended up inconsistent as heck and were just  Kaijus without the whole enemy tributing thing. Again the idea of paracides is NOT to totally lockdown the opponent; its a way to play them sure but it's not the main goal.

Darkrai1276

Darkrai1276

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
    Last Visit

Somehow when posting this archetype I completely overlooked one of the cards because im an idiot.

Added Paracide Stinger who was supposed to be there from the start but got left out by accident (so that explains the comments on more consistency; i accidentally left their basic searcher out. Whoops-a-daisy)

Darkrai1276

Darkrai1276

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
    Last Visit

One more update; changed Core and Stingers effects a bit.

Major update though is a proposed fix to the issue pertaining to "Lockdown". I was thinking of rebalancing the effects to include a Silent wobby style effect, that is whenever they are summoned by their infects they let your opponent draw a card; hence eliminating the possibility of a lockdown ever occurring. I would then be able to make a few of the effects topdeck Paracides without risk of draw stomping.

The only disadvantage is this might make the effects too weak; perhaps i would only have this effect apply during the draw phase (otherwise adding Paracides to the opponent's hand at any other point would just net them free advantage with the draws and dig your own grave)

The additional effect would go like this at the end of every first effect (excluding the guys who summon themselves to the opponents field who will just draw a card on summon): "If this card is summoned by this effect during the draw phase: your opponent draws one card".(this applies when its in the owners control just like wobby hence netting your opponent draw a free card as comensastion; if they draw into another paracide it will also let them draw but it can be a fun way of doing a "Paracide" chain of lockdown effects which is much harder to execute than simply placing any random paracides on top of the deck.

At first, i didn't think this idea could work but i think i could alter some effects to work well with this effect; not to mention it makes cards such as appropriate a fun tech choice that has ton of applications with this new ability

Edit: Liked this idea enough to go ahead with it and add it to every existing Paracide card that has an infect effect(excluding "C" as it now lets both players draw a card so the compensation isn't needed here). Also, several effects have been altered to re-allow topdecking of Paracides since its no longer game-breaking. I'll probably change or add a card or two to react to the draws the opponent is getting. 

In terms of wording most of them have this effect:

"If this effect is applied during the draw phase your opponent draws one card" (recall how Silent Wobby applies its effect if you're wondering about the wording here)

The guys who summon themselves to the controller's field just have a standard draw and any other cards; to avoid confusion, have this effect.

"If this effect is applied during the draw phase the player who activated this effect draws 1 card." 

Edited by Darkrai1276, Yesterday, 05:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users